Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 4:12 AM Last edited by EduPie : 21st Feb 2021 at 4:35 AM.
What kind of songs you enjoy listening while playing?
Lately, my go-to song is Buzzcut Season by Lorde, or anything with a relaxing keypad sound. What about you?

My playlist for playing the game. It's pretty small right now. I plan to expand it soon.

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 4:32 AM
Assuming I'm listening to music rather than watching a TV show or chatting with friends on another screen, I'll usually find a "music and ambience" video on YouTube that meshes nicely with whatever my current project is supposed to wind up being... currently Laketown ambience from the Hobbit films, since I'm working on a river structure, but I've used lots of different versions, everything from cyberpunk to heist soundtracks to any number of Harry Potter themes (whenever I return to working on my Hogwarts lots for a while!).

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Assuming I'm listening to music rather than watching a TV show or chatting with friends on another screen, I'll usually find a "music and ambience" video on YouTube that meshes nicely with whatever my current project is supposed to wind up being...

Wow, that's such a cool take on it! I never thought of doing that. I might try.
#4 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 5:42 AM
I listen to the in game music Never gets old for me
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 1:38 PM Last edited by Alex5 : 21st Feb 2021 at 2:36 PM.
Sadly i can't listen to song or music while playing game because I am deaf and i just play for actions, adventure, drama and comedy which it makes me relax, happy, laugh, funny..etc for many years. love it!

Btw, I am only one who deaf and play game or not ?

Sorry if my english is bad.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 2:22 PM
For me, it depends. For the most part, I listen to the game's music and audio. If I'm just in a mood to listen to my music, I just listen to my Liked Songs playlist on Spotify, which has a mix of artists and genres. Skillet, Nine Lashes, Thousand Foot Krutch, and other bands, which apparently fall under the 'Christian Rock' genre. I also listen to a lot of NateWantsToBattle, some Lawson songs, and some dance music. I have a lot of All Time Low and Hollywood Undead in there... I have some Genesis... a couple of Britney Spears songs... a bunch of other stuff too, but we'd be here all day...

Under the spoiler tags is just a screenshot of recent stuff I've added... it gives a bit of an idea...

I listen to other game soundtracks that I love too, while I play sometimes; mainly The Sims 1 OST (best Sims soundtrack in my opinion), the Final Fantasy IX OST (both Standard and PLUS versions), and the Digital Devil Saga OST.

My music taste is too wide and I often call my Spotify 'whip lash.''

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 3:26 PM
I play with all ingame sounds turned off, I like to have my own music in the background. I usually just hit shuffle on my entire collection while playing, because it's the one time I don't mind any genre and can skip anything I'm not feeling (I have to curate my driving playlist because I can't skip while driving, and when I'm working I need focus).

So I have a great time, sometimes reminded of songs I haven't heard of in forever.

My favourite thing is when I get to see the Sims dance to music on the radio, especially if the song really matches up and there are a bunch of Sims all dancing at the same time like a party. And sometimes I get a slow song on and make couples at weddings have a first dance, it's lovely
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 3:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I'm also really liking 'Midnight Sky' by Miley Cyrus, too.

That's great! I love her new album.

Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
My music taste is too wide and I often call my Spotify 'whip lash.''

I mainly listen to pop, I've seen pretty much all of its extents, but I'm trying to slowly expand to rock.
I think Miley's 'Plastic Hearts' could be a somewhat interesting starting point for me, since it's a take on pop rock. I'm also relying on Poppy and Rina Sawayama for that, really recommend their work.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 3:54 PM
Whatever is my current Spotify playlist!

However, recently I have been making playlists for each neighbourhood

I find that doing this, I miss themed music when I take sims to community lots, so I have started to use Spotify to search for a genre and play a playlist from that genre, usually matching whichever speakers I put in that community lot. It actually works really well.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 3:54 PM Last edited by EduPie : 21st Feb 2021 at 3:56 PM. Reason: Quoting more than one answer, by more than one person, to thank their ideas and overall contribution to this thread!
Quote: Originally posted by bubble101
My favourite thing is when I get to see the Sims dance to music on the radio, especially if the song really matches up and there are a bunch of Sims all dancing at the same time like a party. And sometimes I get a slow song on and make couples at weddings have a first dance, it's lovely

Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
However, recently I have been making playlists for each neighbourhood

I find that doing this, I miss themed music when I take sims to community lots, so I have started to use Spotify to search for a genre and play a playlist from that genre, usually matching whichever speakers I put in that community lot. It actually works really well.

That's definitely something I'll have to try! Thank you both for the suggestions :D
Instructor
#11 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 8:11 PM
When I'm PLAYING I usually have no music unless my sim has a radio and turns it on, in which case my favorite stations are new wave & techno.

If I'm building or doing anything else in the game I'll sometimes put music on for that. I got really into Eurovision in 2019 and haven't actually listened to any music besides Eurovision songs or other songs by Eurovision artists since then.
I recently had to redo my music folder so I can actually tell you what my most listened to songs while I was setting up my megahood 2.0 over the past few weeks were. Here's a few with the highest plays.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 4:16 PM
I'm usually listening to BaST, which contains many songs I've added into the game. Songs that were cut, songs from other Sims games, and personal selected favourites.

Search "Frogger 2 Space Station Theme" on youtube. That one stands out to me. It sounds just like something already in the game and always gets me in the mood to build when it plays.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 21st Mar 2021 at 4:26 PM
I don't listen to anything while playing other than the game itself.

My Simblr
He/They
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 3:34 AM
I always mute the in-game music to play my own music. XD

I typically just shuffle my iTunes library, I have alot of songs in the rock genre, like punk rock, math rock. And alot of pop songs too. The Murmurs, The Daysleepers and Real Friends are some of the bands I've been listening to lately.

Lots of 80s and 90s music too. "We Built This City" is a guilty pleasure...

Why not be kind?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 2:45 PM
I usually just play with in-game sounds and music, but reading over this thread has me inspired.

I might light some candles and put on some Girl in Red for optimum relaxation...
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 4:06 PM
I might actually start listening to music while I play. I finally turned off the in game music because it annoys me to no end but I don't wanna tell my Sims "you can't listen to music" lol I just get tired of it.

My Simblr
He/They
Forum Resident
#17 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 4:17 PM
Normally the music that I listen to, also series or YouTube documentaries, but when I play I usually need the sound of the game because otherwise I get lost and do not get into the story. Years ago I was adding custom music for stereos, I'm thinking of doing it again. Also I really like the r&b of the game, it is something characteristic of the sims 2.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 5:50 PM
I'm kinda like my mom in the sense that I usually put on "background noise" which isn't music but literally just talking. I usually "listen to" youtube videos or a serie like Daria which I've seen enough that I don't really pay attention anymore, just because I'm more used to having some noise around - although for me it's not because of working in a kindergarten full of screaming kids, but because of going to high school... with a bunch of screaming kids.

Sometimes, though, when I'm in the mood for music, I usually have classical pieces (Bach's Little Fugue in G minor is my fave), Britney Spears (inventor of The Sims) or other popular music, mainly from a playlist along the lines of "songs that get Europeans turnt"
Field Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 6:02 PM
Pleasant Sims has really long streams that I like to listen to while I play.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Mad Poster
#20 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 6:29 PM
If I listen to music while I'm playing, it's probably salsa, but only because one of my Sims has turned the stereo on. Sims seem to like salsa. (At least my Sims do.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
If I listen to music while I'm playing, it's probably salsa, but only because one of my Sims has turned the stereo on. Sims seem to like salsa. (At least my Sims do.)

And that is why I turned the in game music off, i'm tired of hearing Salsa

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#22 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wickedjr89
And that is why I turned the in game music off, i'm tired of hearing Salsa
But my Sims like it. And I like to keep them happy. (I think they're maybe converting me to liking salsa too. )

btw wickedjr, I'm glad to see you back on the forum. Welcome home!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
But my Sims like it. And I like to keep them happy. (I think they're maybe converting me to liking salsa too. )

btw wickedjr, I'm glad to see you back on the forum. Welcome home!

Well my Sims can still hear it, I just can't lol.

Thank you.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#24 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 7:51 PM
Snagged up the Night in the Woods OST for my collection of music. Listening to that while decorating a nhood gives a feeling I can't explain.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Theorist
#25 Old 22nd Mar 2021 at 8:02 PM
I have turned off the in-game music years and years and years ago and never turned it on again. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Yes, a couple of the songs are cute because they are sung in Simlish, but to me they stopped being cute around the 50th time I heard them.
The only lightly negative side-effect is that my Sims sometimes get woken up as they try to fall asleep, because I didn't notice that a radio in their bedroom was turned on (those floating musical notes are difficult to see sometimes ) but well it's as easy as telling them to turn it off and go back to bed.
I know I could add other songs to the stations, but it's just much more convenient to use an external music player than farting around with the in-game radios.

So sometimes I have my own music playing, sometimes I listen to pot-casts and sometimes I listen to Youtube videos. Thankfully Sims 2 is (by now) not a very resource-heavy game anymore, so it's easy to tab-out of the game to change whatever I'm listening to.
I don't have any specific Sims playlist or anything, just whatever strikes my fancy.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Page 1 of 3