Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 4:19 AM
well I tried and tried to make a skin tone but it didnt' work...I dind't double post.....
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#52 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 4:33 AM
CEVicious, go back one page, look at the bottom of the page, and then tell me again you did not post twice in a row in this thread. It's not a good idea to argue with the moderators on the site. And please do not post twice in a row (or more) in a thread, if you have something to add and your post is the last one on the list, please use the 'edit' button to change your post. Thank you.

I don't know what you did or not, but this particular tutorial is pretty basic. Skin tones honestly use the same idea, but there are a LOT of files for you to replace, and you'd need to replace all of them. Perhaps you might want to do more skinning projects before tackling a skintone. There are many things to recolor in bodyshop, once you learn the idea, recoloring the other things is not really that different.

And while we're on 'board behaviors'.... in addition to not posting twice in a row, it's expected in a tutorial thread that you are asking questions about _that tutorial_ and/or your ability to complete _that tutorial_ as written. It's important to keep things on topic, or all the different threads with info will become a muddle.

If you want to post a new question, go to the main skinning board here: http://www.modthesims2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20 and then hit the 'new topic' button. Give it a descriptive title (not 'HELP') but say 'How can I --and whatever the question is'. That way people looking at the board can respond more easily and you're more likely to have someone read it who can offer advice.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#53 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 12:01 PM
o.O what photo shop is best and can you please link me ?
Test Subject
#54 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 9:12 PM
oh now I know what double posting means on here, o.O in other places it means posting the same thing twice...sorreh
Test Subject
#55 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 9:10 PM
Yes!
I finally know how to actually do something in body shop XD
Thank you for the great tutorial =]
Megan
Test Subject
#56 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 3:11 AM
well i dont eveen know what gimp i downloadi need some help really badly!! and somehow i cant open any sims2 projects in adobe idk it wont let me help!!!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#57 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 4:33 AM
Keki, please go look at the information in this article
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=182601

You can also go to the gimp site http://www.gimp.org/ and read the information there about system requirements and look for an easy install gimp there.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#58 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 11:17 PM
Hello Tig,

Thank you for checking back on this thread to see if we have questions.

Can you point me to instructions for taking an existing skin and making it more transparent on the Sims model? I remember this was easy in Sims 1. I'll probably feel dumb once you tell me.

Thank You,

-SealJuice
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#59 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 12:14 AM
do the next tutorials, which deal with the alpha file. Make the alpha gray instead of black or white and you'll get 'transparent' and skin will show through. Only works on skintight areas correctly, as does alpha editing because the shape of the mesh doesn't change.

On an 'alpha' mesh (one with separate parts designed to be alpha editable not part of the base body) if you can make it see through or not depends on more complex settings and how the mesh was created, some cannot be made 'see through' but only have parts cut away from them. (pressed for time cannot go into more detail right now regarding alpha meshes)

Test Subject
#60 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 12:41 AM
Thanks, Tig!

All Hail The Tiggery Pum!
Test Subject
#61 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 7:38 PM
help
hey
i thought sum hair did bsicly wot u did 2 the clothes cept i couldnt find it on body shop help
Test Subject
#62 Old 2nd Dec 2006 at 1:08 AM
awesome tut. Tut was very understandable. Did it!!! Thank You
Test Subject
#63 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 11:43 PM
Default Cool!
COOL! Thats Awesoume!

Once upon a time there was a boy named Pat, he was picked on everyday he went to school. In eight grade a bully held him by his ears while others spat on his head. He quickly ran off the bus and into his mother's arms. That night at 10 o'clock he hung himself in his garage. Don't be that bully...
Test Subject
#64 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 12:49 AM
Default !!!
I've installed everything I need, but when I try to open Body Shop...IT KEEP GIVING ME AN ERROR MESSAGE AND CLOSING!!!!!! Can someone please help me?!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#65 Old 18th Dec 2006 at 5:27 AM
Everything you need? You mean, like the game?

Perhaps you have some custom content crashing bodyshop. Try putting your saved sims and downloads folder on the desktop for the moment, and run bodyshop. See if that fixes it.

If it does, go to the GAME HELP area and look for advice about the game crashing and how to track down a bad download, and follow the suggestions there to find your bad download(s)

Test Subject
#66 Old 23rd Dec 2006 at 1:17 AM
I saw this question posted earlier, but unfortunately the answer didn't help me.
I get to the part where I am supposed to save it, and had the same message that says it can't save and it has to export it, but it doesn't say where it goes to, and most importantly,
after I go back to Body Shop, and hit refresh, I get nada! I've read thru the tute multiple times as well as posts, and I am still stuck!
Test Subject
#67 Old 27th Dec 2006 at 9:22 AM
Well, my problem is that since I re-installed TS2 Body Shop doesn't work. I mean, I did recolours before but now it won't work.

The program itself starts, and I can start a new project, safe it and I can even open the Mesh (or whatever this sample is called) in Microsoft Picture It (the program I used before too). I can change it, place graphics on it, ... and all those things.

BUT when I save it, as bmp-file as the original is, it does not overwrite the old file. And I cannot delete it by hand, that just don't work. And when I click the refresh-button, nothing happens. There's still the one I used to change, not the one I made. And if I safe it, it's the same.

What can I do to make Body Shop work?

Sorry if this question was up already...
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#68 Old 27th Dec 2006 at 11:50 AM
vavz and dhanni - I'm not sure exactly what the problems are, but it's pretty clear it's coming from the saving - that your new graphics are not ending up named correctly into your projects folder. You could double check that your project folder is 'read-write' protected, so you can write your files there.

At this point, I'd start a new project, and do a really really simple change, like scribble a big X on the front of the outfit. And just keep working at it until you can figure out how to save the graphic to the correct place with exactly the right filename, so that a refresh in bodyshop will do what you expect. Make sure you are saving to BMP format.

Test Subject
#69 Old 27th Dec 2006 at 6:01 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, I added a logo and stuff to one of the plain hoodies. :P

I have a question, how would someone make the new clothing into a package file to put on Modthesims2 for others to use?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#70 Old 27th Dec 2006 at 9:51 PM
Prashanna, when you 'import' your outfit to the game (you did look at it _in game_ right) a file will be saved to your 'saved sims' folder - that is the finished recolor. It will have a bunch of numbers in front of the name you gave your initial project. I usually view that folder and sort by date. You can rename that file to anything you want (and I suggest you name it with something like your initials/nick, the gender, age, and something really descriptive)

Be sure to look at the requirements for pictures, and that you know which ep is required for the particular outfit you recolored (if any). Creator Guidelines is very helpful for that.

Test Subject
#71 Old 28th Dec 2006 at 4:02 PM
Thanks for writing this tutorial
I had a lot of fun doing it, especially you made a basic one. It was an easy beginning, and that's very cool. I hope I'll be making clothing and meshes myself one day, this is a good starting point :D
Test Subject
#72 Old 28th Dec 2006 at 11:54 PM
Thank you this was very helpful
Test Subject
#73 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 1:31 AM
Yeah, somehow it is all Ok! I am so excited! I don't know what happened, but I went back into the Body Shop, and somehow I found the file for the red hippy dress, all finished and perfect! It had worked but for some reason when I clicked refresh nothing happened and I had no way to know it had.
But now, I did it over and over and now, whatever was "stuck" is "unstuck" and it works when I click refresh, like it is supposed to.
Thanks so much for a great tutorial, I have been wanting to learn how to create my own stuff, for a long time, and it is so fun, being able to just recolor stuff. I used the info from this tutorial and even recolored some hair, so that was fun! I am sure there is a better way to do it, but it worked.
Thanks again,
Denise Hanni
Test Subject
#74 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 9:36 PM
Thank you for the tutorial, it's very helpful.

Other than following the steps and recoloring the dress, I also used this tutorial to recolor hair. It really works! Hopefully this will become the building blocks of my Sim designing future.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#75 Old 18th Jan 2007 at 7:55 PM
:-) good stuff guys.. I am so very happy to hear all of this.
Page 3 of 12