Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 5:37 AM
Empty Packages when preparing lot for upload
Well. I'm about ready to throw Sims2Pack Clean Installer out the proverbial window!
I'm no stranger to uploading lots to MTS2 - I can usually upload a lot without any problems, but this time Clean Installer is refusing to work for me.

I've built a request house, and, like always, I've included custom content. However, some of the stuff I've used can't be shared, so I booted up Clean Installer to remove that stuff, plus any recolours/objects that aren't actually required for the lot.
Yup, Clean Installer opens up fine, all the packages are fine. And then I try to save my new, clean file. That's when it all goes downhill.
I saved it as a new name, like you are supposed to. In fact, I have tried a variety of names and combinations.

Basically what happens is that every package within the newly created file is empty. Every one! And not only that, but packages that I didn't even have in the original file packed from the game have appeared in the new file, and they are empty too!
What in the hell is going on???
I've tried different filenames, I've tried saving it in different locations, I've even tried removing more custom content and STILL it doesn't work. If I save the lot package by itself it works, but if I include even the smallest amount of custom content, the lot package also turns out empty!

I just don't get it! I've had an issue similar to this before, but NEVER have I been unable to fix it!

I've even re-downloaded Clean Installer, uninstalled my copy (which was up-to-date anyway), and re-installed it. Same issue.
Any ideas?

~ Mere
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 11:01 AM Last edited by cwykes : 3rd Jul 2006 at 12:00 PM.
No answers for you, but a couple of ideas you've probably tried and some sympathy. You are doing all the right things as far as I can see. Just wondered if it was a problem on all your lots or just with the original package from that 1 lot... If you haven't already done it, go onto the lot, change something so you can save it again and then repackage.

found this in another post - any odd characters in file names? "So, nothing comes up when you open the package just exported out from the game? In my experiences, when a corrupted repackaged sim2pack is saved, the resutant new package can be empty like this. In my cases, they're caused by some non-English characters or symbols like "&. But, I'm not sure your case is caused by that."

I also found this from simdebster in the long closed thread started by Phervers - sounds like you might have a problem file.....
"I am going to tell you my experience of files showing in game just fine but actually had something wrong with them. These files showed up in the game, could be placed, etc., but I had a problem with packaging up houses where the sims2pack file would be corrupt. These files, were not in the houses being packaged and in some were not even a random included file, but that did not make any difference. I was able to track down what was wrong (after many hours of course) since I had recently installed some downloads and prior to that I was packaging houses with no corruption problem. Once I identified the culprit files and removed them, all of my other seemingly non-related problems went away. So, even a file that might seem okay in many ways can still have a problem that will affect the game in ways that you do not realize. This is all the more that I am going to say to you on this matter. I have told you what I would do in your case. But it is your computer, your game, your decision, you do what you want.Thanks again."

If it's fixed, please tell us what it was...
Test Subject
#3 Old 31st Jul 2006 at 6:50 PM
I have a similar problem with. When I open the packaged lot in S2Pack Clean Installer v.1.5.1.4, the "subfolder" and "date and time" sections are empty. When I select/deselect the appropriate files for the upload and attempt select "save as...", I give it a different name as I am supposed to. Then, this pops up:

"System.Null ReferenceException:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Sims2Pack_Installer.Util.getFolderName(String filename)
at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2Sims2Pack.GetItem ()
at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2Sims2Pack.RecognizeFile ()"

I have tried renaming my packaged lot, re-packaging my lot without some of the items that are not to be included in the upload. I even renamed the lot to no longer include ' or &.

I have not had any problems with other lots. Please see the link to the Dunkin' Donuts & Baskin Robbins lot. It is the lot that I am having the problem with. Also, read the downloader's remarks. I am stumped on this one.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 5th Aug 2006 at 10:29 PM
Haven't had that problem with missing info - it sounds odd, but I've no idea what's going on with the lot. Last time I had a problem even vaguely like this it did turn out to be a few objects that weren't even in the lot. Their files were in the package thanks to EA's lotpackager, but CI just didn't like those files and stopped the "save as" and made an incomplete file every time it met them. Once I worked out what they were from when the save as stopped, I could uncheck and delete them. Never worked out why CI didn't like them. Hope you get your answers - Do please post if you do so other people can avoid the pain.
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 9:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TsGazelle
I have a similar problem with. When I open the packaged lot in S2Pack Clean Installer v.1.5.1.4, the "subfolder" and "date and time" sections are empty. When I select/deselect the appropriate files for the upload and attempt select "save as...", I give it a different name as I am supposed to. Then, this pops up:

"System.Null ReferenceException:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Sims2Pack_Installer.Util.getFolderName(String filename)
at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2Sims2Pack.GetItem ()
at Sims2Pack_Installer.S2Sims2Pack.RecognizeFile ()"

I have tried renaming my packaged lot, re-packaging my lot without some of the items that are not to be included in the upload. I even renamed the lot to no longer include ' or &.

I have not had any problems with other lots. Please see the link to the Dunkin' Donuts & Baskin Robbins lot. It is the lot that I am having the problem with. Also, read the downloader's remarks. I am stumped on this one.

Yeah, that happened a lot to me too, the strange thing is that Clean Installer works well when you only re-package the lot without any other content. I just gave up and included the custom content on a separate rar file, you also enable the user to organize the custom content as he/she wishes this way.