Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 3:13 PM
Default Hairs I can't seem to finish
A couple of hairs I can't seem to finish because they don't look right to me. They sit in my project folders after alot of work so it's a shame to just leave them to rot.

Can you help me finish them with some tips, or maybe some people are willing to take the meshes, make some edits, maybe even finish and release them together?

Messy Afro Hair

All ages.
I don't like the textures very much, anyone want to give me a tip on good afro textures for this one? Or maybe retexture them so we can release them together?

Faux Hawk

I can't get the textures right. The head part is shiney and greasy and the tail is brittle and looks like dead hair. Also need to remap the little loose strands in the front. There is a hairband but it's not yet alpha'd in.
Do you have tips? Feel like retexturing this before release? Should I just grab some Pooklet textures and try those?
(The error near the ear/hairline is from the skintone and not a mesh error btw)

Thick Braids Tail

The tail looks massive compared to the amount of braids that realistically should be there. Would this stop you from using this? Should I completely redo the tail?
The back also has alot of repeated texturing that can be fixed more easily once I draw some new textures for it.

Thanks for your help! I've learned that letting people look at stuf and give feedback really improves the stuff I make, and it's more fun to finish things I would normally abandon...

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Advertisement
transmogrified
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 3:26 PM
Third hair: Would this stop you from using this?

God, no. I want to download this yesterday and use it in game right now. The bit over the shoulder is brilliant and the back is really quite lovely. (True, I'm a fashion dunderhead who is continually surprised by the existence of extensions, so my understanding of what constitutes a natural full head of hair is compromised. But who says Sims can't wear extensions, too?)

And thus we have reached the end of my ability to contribute feedback.
Theorist
#3 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 3:58 PM
I have no feedback on the 1st and 3rd ones, they look fine to me. Beside the things you already said for the 2nd one the thinning parts on the tail look weird. The length of a real ponytail would stay constant not thin out as you go down. Also maybe you could make it slightly shorter so that that weird angle isn't at the tips? They look good

Hi I'm Paul!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 4:05 PM
First Hair: No help for you there.

Second Hair: Try darkening the tail and softening the ends of it?

Third Hair: Who WOULDN'T want it?!

That's my lame feedback! :D
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 6:27 PM
I've been wondering what happened to the first hair after you showed it on facebook.

First hair: I quite like it already. I don't know much about hair texturing, so I'm afraid I won't be any help. I've always loved the textures on your afro hairband and afro knots hairs, if that helps at all.

Second hair: I disagree with Robodl95 on the shape. I think it's good, as a ponytail does thin out towards the bottom like that when you have your hair cut in layers. Again, I know nothing about texturing, but I think Pooklet's V2 might look quite delicious on that hair.

Third hair: Are you kidding? Nothing could stop me from using this. It's gorgeous.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 6:52 PM
First hair: I'm also not sure about the texture on this one, it looks more matted than afro-like to me but I'm not sure how you/someone could change it!

Second hair: I like it. I think that having it "thinner" towards the end makes sense - mine does that a bit because I had it cut in layers ages and ages ago and they still show!

Third hair: If you uploaded it now, I would download it. No constructive critisism there! :-) I love it. I don't think that it looks weird at all, it looks realistic enough to me!
Theorist
#7 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 7:52 PM
Yeah don't leave it to the guy for ponytail advice I guess

Like Weeaboo said though try softening the ends

Hi I'm Paul!
#8 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 9:23 PM
The messy afro hair look like it has too much noise, like the image was overally sharpened, why not try to soften it a bit. I also think the splotched in hightlights are throwing me off. They look very random. Not sure why that stand out to me, but it does.

Honestly, I like the shine in the head portion, so maybe carry that into the ponytail?

Other than the repeated texture on this one, I love it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 9:31 PM
Ok let's see:

first: soften the textures, get rid of random dots/highlighting
second: Yeah it's supposed to look layered, but I could make it less dramatic
try pooklet vs2, soften ponytail ends, add some shine to the ponytail to get some consistance (ponytail probably also needs some remapping)
third: remove repeat and see what happens

Thank you all for the detailed feedback! I'm going to update on this one by one, as soon as a hair is edited!

Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 9:35 PM
I don't know anything about making hair or anything else. (I can't seem to even get patterns to line up) The first one, I agree with lauratje86, the hair looks kind of matted instead of curly.

The second one, I think the pony tail seems just a little bit too thick and the lines of color (the texture?) are too straight. With or without layers, people's hair just don't hang that straight. (at least not without a ton of hair gel or hair spray). The little whispies of hair in the pony tail is definitely good, but it looks like it's only on the outside and underside of the pony tail, nothing are on the sides. (or maybe it's blending and very subtle and I'm not really seeing them).

My hair looks to be about the same length as this hair. I have to wear my hair pulled back and/or up at work. I've noticed that with or without a layered hair cut, when pulled up into a pony tail, I'll have a length of hair that is ... for lack of a better description solid/smooth, then toward the end (probably about 1/2 - 2/3) that is when the hair starts tapering into a a tip and it almost looks sort of 'feathered', there's no real demarcation between the lengths of hair (except for the bits that do their own thing). As the night wears on, I'll also get fly aways (whispies) about ear/temple area that dangle down my neck.

I don't know if any of that will help or not, if it doesn't just pretend you never saw it.

The third one, I don't think you need to change a thing. It's perfect as it is.

Inspire. Dream. Hope. Believe. Imagine. Create.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 2:40 PM
The second hairstyle is really great!The other two hairstyles need changes on the textures!That's what I can see!Sorry if I'm not helpful!

What I do...I do it for friendship!
-Terra<3
(I adore this guy!)
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 5:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JadedSidhe
I don't know anything about making hair or anything else. (I can't seem to even get patterns to line up) The first one, I agree with lauratje86, the hair looks kind of matted instead of curly.

The second one, I think the pony tail seems just a little bit too thick and the lines of color (the texture?) are too straight. With or without layers, people's hair just don't hang that straight. (at least not without a ton of hair gel or hair spray). The little whispies of hair in the pony tail is definitely good, but it looks like it's only on the outside and underside of the pony tail, nothing are on the sides. (or maybe it's blending and very subtle and I'm not really seeing them).

My hair looks to be about the same length as this hair. I have to wear my hair pulled back and/or up at work. I've noticed that with or without a layered hair cut, when pulled up into a pony tail, I'll have a length of hair that is ... for lack of a better description solid/smooth, then toward the end (probably about 1/2 - 2/3) that is when the hair starts tapering into a a tip and it almost looks sort of 'feathered', there's no real demarcation between the lengths of hair (except for the bits that do their own thing). As the night wears on, I'll also get fly aways (whispies) about ear/temple area that dangle down my neck.

I don't know if any of that will help or not, if it doesn't just pretend you never saw it.

The third one, I don't think you need to change a thing. It's perfect as it is.

This is extremely useful, thank you very much! Have implemented it, but it still needs some editing.

BSGirl: Every help is greatly appreciated. The more eyes the beter!

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Weeaboo
First Hair: No help for you there.

Second Hair: Try darkening the tail and softening the ends of it?

Third Hair: Who WOULDN'T want it?!

That's my lame feedback! :D

Me? I'm UBER picky with braids; there's only one type of braid hairstyle I like.
Anyways, first one is a little bumpy. Might be your point, but.. isn't it curly hairs sticking out, not bumps? Err... I'm not good when it comes to afros.
Second hair: The bump seems too sharp.
Third: Looks fine to me.

ENTJ
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 7:20 PM
I have little useful to add except to say I love the mesh of the first one though I agree that the texture isn't right for it. It's a great shape though. Maybe use a texture similar - but looser - to the knots one from Maxis, giving each bump a sort of coherent curly form maybe?

I see also what you mean about the third one and would agree that the tail is a bit thick for the hair on top of the head - it looks a leetle like a curtain swag at the moment (sorry). I really do like it otherwise and will certainly have that one off the site when you upload it.

I have no comment on the second one. I like that too. I have far too many of your hairs in my game as it is.
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Nouk : 6th Jan 2011 at 6:40 PM.
Mashed up some Pooklet textures, added a different alpha, remapped some parts, and redid the entire tail...

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...110106191230The Sims 2 Body Shop_2011-01-06_19-06-04.jpg

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...110106191249The Sims 2 Body Shop_2011-01-06_19-05-23.jpg

http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...110106191309The Sims 2 Body Shop_2011-01-06_19-06-20.jpg

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 7:34 PM
That looks so much better Anouk, I wouldn't want to see it changed in any way.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 3:54 AM
I absolutely love all of them, which is not surprising because it always happens to me with your creations.
I really like the changes you made in the ponytail, it looks incredibly good now and has a very realistic shape.
I like the braided ponytail, even when (because of my personal tastes) I would prefer it to be shorter. Why? Because braids make your hair look waaay shorter, so the length of that hair is a bit "excessive" to me. Anyway, that is a matter of tastes. Making the ponytail a little bit thinner would work better maybe, but I'm not really sure of it so... yeah, I don't know, maybe editing it know is a total mess.I like the detail of the braids over the shoulder, it adds realism.
I know you said the first one was for all ages, but what about the other two?
About the first one, I agree with people who said that it has too strong highlights in some places, so maybe reducing the contrast between highlights an darker zones would be a good solution. Asides from that, I find it a lovely hairstyle that fill my afro-hair needs.
#18 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 5:42 AM
That hair is perfect, I LOVE IT NOW!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 2:06 PM
The ponytail is really great!I love it!

What I do...I do it for friendship!
-Terra<3
(I adore this guy!)
Bowties are cool.
retired moderator
#20 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 2:14 PM
Oh.my.god, they all look awesome, but that last update of ponytail is simply gorgeous!
Inventor
#21 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 3:38 PM
I have to join the love for that ponytail! :D
I will be a little picky saying that the bottom of the skull looks a little blocky. Maybe if you move some vertices to make it look a bit smoother? Anyway, I'm still loving it! ♥
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 1:59 PM
I'll try something

Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 10:56 AM
All your hairs are great and I download 90% of them to use regularly.

The first one is fab, but i agree with everyone about the highlights, they seem a bit random.

There are too many braids at the back of the third, not enough to make it so I don't use it but is there a way to make them seem more individual like the ones over the shoulder? Braids do not really stay together in a clump like that.

The ponytail is really cute but too 'real' now for my game.

PS is your site down or is it just me?
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 13th Jan 2011 at 2:46 PM Last edited by Nouk : 14th Jan 2011 at 9:19 PM.
I already made some changes to the braids ponytail, made it have less braids and more individual, but haven't put the changes in the game yet.
The first one, I'll have plans to draw a new texture for it with tiny coils.
I have the eight binned recolors and teen and up for the ponytail and have been testing ingame. The skull is rounder from the side view :P

And the website is back online now Thanks for advice, all

*edit* submitted the ponytail to mts, so on to the next hair. I'll start with the braids...

Scholar
#25 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 11:30 PM
Nouk, the updated ponytail hair looks lovely! I can't way to download it.

I love the shape and idea for the long braids mesh, but do agree with you about the repeating pattern. I think you are right to decrease the amount of braids at the back. Unfortunately I do not have anything really constructive to say other then it looks awesome and I'd love to retexture (I'm thinking of a dreaded version with beads perhaps) when you release it.

The first mesh is very cute - and I hope you make it for males too!- and needs a bit of tweaking to the texture and shading. Perhaps you could soften the current texture, add on some small curls/coils, make the roots lighter, darken the tips and soften the hair line. That probably makes little sense so here is a picture to show what I mean! (Feel welcome to message me if you want to work together!)
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: old/uploaded (do not delete - contains useful info for hair creation)
Page 1 of 4