Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#1126 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 7:43 PM
snowstorm,
ty so very much now i know i am not going crazy. That helps me so very much.
litangel

My computer is arunning like a problem child on crack.
It's about as unstable as Charles Manson...and i need help.
Advertisement
Instructor
#1127 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 12:08 AM
There will be just that one and threre will be no change in it until you get to the step where you import changes.If you make a mistake in assigning the texture then your import will show one of the Maxis defaults instead of what you imported.
#1128 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 1:51 PM Last edited by Illuminos : 14th Nov 2005 at 2:05 PM.
heya everyone. after following the german translation of this tutorial i was so confused. i tried 3 times and only the last attempt worked - sort of.
due to some not-well-defined translation issues, like "save it here, save it there,save it again." Oo;;

then i tried this one. worked right away.
but i somehow have a problem, or better the clothes have a problem.

i used the robe which brianna referred to in the tutorial, but at the end that dress was lying on the floor.

in the body shop the head was where it is supposed to be but the dress was lying down. (as well as the rest of the body).

how does that happen?

(same problem with a skirt i tried with the german version)

*edit*
i found this in another meshing thread: might solve the problem!!

Quote:
When I recently made an armoire according to one of these tutorials, everything else worked as expected, but the armoire was lying on its back on the ground in the game. I solved the problem by rotating the mesh in Milkshape after UV-mapping (around the Origin, X 90 Y 0 Z 180 degrees). I don't know why it happened in the first place because I created the mesh to the same orientation as the new one, but at least simple rotating fixed it.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1129 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 2:18 PM
Illuminos, yes that was the issue.
For some reason SimPE sometimes has the default as XZY instead of XYZ.

You can either try to fix the orientation of your mesh in milkshape - or you can follow these steps.

From inside SimPE - export your new mesh as an obj again with the setting XZY
Run it through meshtool again
Import the new gmdc into Simpe.

What this does is undo the original flip. Cool eh?

In the future, make sure XYZ is checked when you export your obj file and you'll be fine.
Instructor
#1130 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 2:19 PM
to WDS BriAnna:
did you know a norwegian tutorial?¿

Unauthorized incoming post!
#1131 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 3:23 PM
Maybe I'll translate this tutorial in Lithuanian of course, if someone needs it
#1132 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
Illuminos, yes that was the issue.
For some reason SimPE sometimes has the default as XZY instead of XYZ.

You can either try to fix the orientation of your mesh in milkshape - or you can follow these steps.

From inside SimPE - export your new mesh as an obj again with the setting XZY
Run it through meshtool again
Import the new gmdc into Simpe.

What this does is undo the original flip. Cool eh?

In the future, make sure XYZ is checked when you export your obj file and you'll be fine.

okay, fixing in milkshape is confuding - again - now the arms are screwed and the dress is only shown til the half (lower body is missing completely XD , and there's a lot of space between the head and the neck (starts at hip - height).

so if i always export as XYZ that will not happen again?
or do i always need to use the meshtool twice?
i'm pretty new at meshing and i'm german ^^;.

perhaps you could PM me the steps from the POINT when i'm done with milkshape. (not sure bout the whole rotating thing now <<
#1133 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 3:30 PM Last edited by Illuminos : 14th Nov 2005 at 5:24 PM.
oy, double post >.< :sorry:

wooohooooo i did it!! YAY!! thx tyg :nod:

though the milkshape views are totally screwed now XD XD but that's not really a problem ^^
Forum Resident
#1134 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 6:03 PM
Does anyone know if I use a mesh that came with Nightlife and altered it, will it work with all expansions and the original game only?

Onyx Sims is now open!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1135 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 7:01 PM
Illuminos, I'm glad you got it to work! If you watch for that xyz thing (and be sure it's xyz) when you first export the obj file, you shouldn't have to deal with this particular problem again.

KiaraRawks - all clothing meshes in the game are treated the same way - so a new mesh you create (whatever the source) should work for everyone.
#1136 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 10:43 AM
Me once more. XD XD

okay after i managed to change a mesh i have some questions:

- the mesh has to stay in the download-folder, that's not a question.
- the files in "my created folder for all the simpe-files" - can i delete those?
- the very first file, created in bodyshop and saved in "saved sims" what about that? does it have to stay there or can it be deleted?if it is the changed one using 'my mesh' , can it be put in the downloads folder too?

i'm asking because i want to recolour my own mesh.
which will be in the project folder for a while before it's finished.
but to change the colours etc i need an original of my mesh. (confused)
is it the 'saved sim'?
Instructor
#1137 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 1:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Illuminos
Me once more. XD XD

okay after i managed to change a mesh i have some questions:

- the mesh has to stay in the download-folder, that's not a question.
- the files in "my created folder for all the simpe-files" - can i delete those?
- the very first file, created in bodyshop and saved in "saved sims" what about that? does it have to stay there or can it be deleted?if it is the changed one using 'my mesh' , can it be put in the downloads folder too?

i'm asking because i want to recolour my own mesh.
which will be in the project folder for a while before it's finished.
but to change the colours etc i need an original of my mesh. (confused)
is it the 'saved sim'?

You need to have atleast one "texture" package for your mesh, in order to recolor your mesh. You can then create a recolor of your clothing (by doing create new parts, and selecting the first/temp one you made). Once you have a good recolor "texture" package, you can delete the original "texture" package if it wasn't a good texture.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
#1138 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 4:55 PM
Everything ends at step 27. When I try to open gmdc SimPE simply crashes. It shows Please Wait... all the time. I've done everything I could: closed all other programs, restarted my computer, tried day after day... Nothing changed. It still shows the same annoying "Please Wait...". 20 minutes... half an hour... an hour... I can't wait longer! Can you help?
Lab Assistant
#1139 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:04 AM
When I try to edit a mesh I downloaded it reverts back to the one they cloned to create their mesh with. No matter how accuratly I follow the tutorial I get pants instead of shorts. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to extract files from their mesh file instead of the maxis' files? If so how? I tried and it made bodyshop crash.

MATY is the most childish and the most hostile site I've ever come in contact with.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#1140 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:43 AM
Stimy you cannot edit a mesh that someone else has edited. You can't extract it, because all the mesh editing tools create working meshes, but the meshes do not actually have identical parts to meshes that Maxis have created.

You must start with an original Maxis mesh if you want to edit a mesh.
Test Subject
#1141 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 4:32 AM
question: on step number 4 it says "click on property set n the 'Packed Files' window." Where is the packed files window? (I guess I must have a different version of SimPE.. :S)
Instructor
#1142 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 4:56 AM
Maybe this will help.Things have changed alot.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#1143 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:56 PM
I cant find the "Export to OBJ" button.!
Instructor
#1144 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Violet2
I cant find the "Export to OBJ" button.!

It's is now an "Export" Button, you then pick what export type you want in the drop down box.

Test Subject
#1145 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:45 PM
where is the "Export" button?
Instructor
#1146 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 1:54 PM
where is the "Export" button?

On the 3d Mesh tab of the GMDC.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#1147 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:01 PM
Thank you so much snowstorm!
Test Subject
#1148 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:06 PM
but when i click on the Geometric data Container it pops up this window that says: File or assembly name Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, or one of its dependencies, was not found. what can I do?
Test Subject
#1149 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:08 PM
and i dont see the export button..
Instructor
#1150 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 2:18 PM
but when i click on the Geometric data Container it pops up this window that says: File or assembly name Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, or one of its dependencies, was not found. what can I do?

Try this thread.

Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: Outdated, replacement tutorial posted
Page 46 of 54