Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#51 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:48 PM
Are you using GIMP for this part, Chibi?

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Reyn
Are you using GIMP for this part, Chibi?
No, I'm working with CS3 as stated XD;;. Never tried GIMP.
Inventor
#53 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:13 PM
Ah - I know with GIMP you have to use a tool to decompose the channels, but I don't know these other programs much at all, so I can't be much help.

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#54 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:03 PM
I want to thank you for your time and energy you spend teaching us how to do this stuff. But I still don't get it. Doesn't help that I am using adobe and I am not use to it. I like my coral photo shop but it doesn't save files as DDS. I have tried for hours to get this right and still failed. All I am using is a solid background with a solid flower design. Should be simple, but the flowers still show up transparent in the game and the flowers are picking up other patterns instead of being a solid color. which in some ways that's kinda cool, but that isn't how this is supposed to work. or is it?
Test Subject
#55 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 3:20 AM
Trying to prevent some confusion for those using GIMP 2.6 with the DDS plugin. The tutorial explains the format to be Default when saving. Doing this will crash delphi's pattern packager, and will cause almost any image editor to crash with an unexpected end of file error if attempting to reload and correct. When saving the format used should be RGBA8 and that should import with no problems.

Test Subject
#56 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 7:16 AM
Default error message
Error message appears if press save button

What problem is it?

sorry...bad English

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#57 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 10:55 AM
leehee: Simple: You didn't read the installation requirements of the Pattern Packager. It requires .NET 3.5.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#58 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
leehee: Simple: You didn't read the installation requirements of the Pattern Packager. It requires .NET 3.5.

Thank you so very much Delphy ...it's working
Instructor
#59 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 3:25 PM
My problem is I've no idea how to set channels or if I can even do it in Pdn.

I found a channel mask plugin for it but I'm not sure how it works or how to set the different channels, ie; order and what not. Plus it makes the visible area white and the transparent is the background checkers which makes it hard to distinguish if its working like it should.

Anyway if anyone is using Pdn and can give me some pointers in this area I'd appreciate it.
Test Subject
#60 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 3:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChibiShiva
Hi ^^

I've started making patterns as well - I'm actually very new at making my own custom content (I've tried recoloring, modifying alpha layers, making my own meshes, modifying meshes; I guess I'm just not good at that XD). I understand the vector program (I use Inkscape), the channels (using CS3), how to mask/unmask, where everything should be, how to save as DDS and the packager.

The problem? Placing the different layers into the channels. Either I get a message saying I can't place into the channel since I only have one selected, or if I have all, that I can't copy/paste layers.

I've tried using a 2-color pattern to start; red and green. In the first layer, red = black, green = white, and vice-versa for the second layer. But I can't put these as channels for some strange reason. Could anyone help me out with this? ^^;;

Chibi -

When you have your layers ready to paste into channels, try creating a new image that's 256x256, but for "Background Contents" choose a White/Black background instead of Transparent. This will create a flattened image and give you easier access to the channels.

Hope this helps...
Field Researcher
#61 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 1:02 AM
Hello!

I wanted to do an encore of the Retro Waves wallpaper I made for Sims 2, so I went by the tutorial and tried to make a pattern out of it.

It consists of a groovy geometric pattern of 3 colors, all should be recolorable.

In the pattern packager the dds file shows 3 different colors. I picked 3 recolor option.

But when imported to game two of the patterns turned into one color so it is only 2 colors.... (there's 3 color buttons in game, but graphic shows only two)

I have tried to swap the order of the channels, but to no avail.

I am not sure I understand which order it should be in. To me it seems that it does not matter? Or maybe I am stupid and have missed something obvious?

I hope I am not of too much trouble.

I have uploaded package, dds and psd to my ftp, you can look at them and maybe help me find where I did wrong.

http://www.monostar.net/ichigo/misc/sims3/

THANK YOU in advance!
Inventor
#62 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 2:13 AM
I had a similar propelm, except all the pattern vanished, and the only colour was the colou of the flowers of the pattern. I posted about it on page 2, and think it got lost - hopefully somehow someone can point out where we went wrong on this.

Test Subject
#63 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 4:17 AM
Is it possible to post questions for the pattern packager here too?
If so when I try to run the program i get this message: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). Click OK to terminate the application.

I'ev re-downloaded this program 8times and I can't seem to find anybody with the same problem who might me able to help. I was thinking it might be my .NET FrameWork but the microsoft website isn't loading on my computer so I download it off another website but it can't connect to their website to repair, uninstall, OR download. This has never happened before with any other program I've downloaded in the past. Please help! I really need this pattern packager.
Does this picture help?:
Test Subject
#64 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 2:46 PM
Forgive me for asking, but...
Is it not possible to upload your custom creations you made using the Pattern Packager?
So far I tried, and it looks like the pattern will not show unless the people who download it has the resource.cfg file and the .package file I created.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 3:30 PM
Duckeh - Please post questions about the Pattern Packager in its download thread.

VampireMike - People will need the .package and resource.cfg - that's how it works.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#66 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Duckeh - Please post questions about the Pattern Packager in its download thread.

VampireMike - People will need the .package and resource.cfg - that's how it works.

That's a shame :/
Maybe I'll have to add a link to downloading them on each upload?
I'm sure alot of people would grow tired of none proper custom community content which is why I may upload the ones I make.
But I'm promising myself to not create anything that breaches the rule of copyright.

Duckeh - You'll have better luck in typing your error message up in google, that's the best way to go when recieving error messages.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 10:18 PM
I hate to nag, but could anyone see on my files above? Or should I start a new thread about it? :P
Inventor
#68 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 10:21 PM
I'd look, but I've not got any of the adobe graphics programs, and can't even figure out where I'm going wrong following this thing.

I am -working- on getting a copy, but it might be a while yet - its not cheap.

Test Subject
#69 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:25 AM
Well Reyn you can actually find Photoshop's that have like a free 30 day trial
Test Subject
#70 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 2:42 AM Last edited by thaliagoo : 10th Jun 2009 at 2:52 AM.
Tutorial: Next, take each layer from your 4-layer tiled document and copy it, and paste the contents into a different channel in the new document.

I'm using Photoshop but every time I paste a layer into the channel, it appears in all 4 channels... I'm new to all this (never worked with channels), so bear with me please.

Edit: figured it out, had something to do with pasting using Illustrator instead of Photoshop
Test Subject
#71 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetichigodream
I hate to nag, but could anyone see on my files above? Or should I start a new thread about it? :P

Let me preface this by saying I am certainly no expert...

But I opened your PSD, and there is a lot of overlapping white areas between the Red and Blue channels. From what I understand, any particular spot on the pattern should only be white on one channel.

It could be that the game or the Pattern Packager isn't designed to do a "mix" of colors if a particular area is affected by two color channels at once....or I could just be uninformed.

Hope this helps...
Field Researcher
#72 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 5:08 AM Last edited by sweetichigodream : 10th Jun 2009 at 5:37 AM.
Oh, maybe you are right and I was totally stupid and overlooked. I will look at the files now!

Thanks!

EDIT:
Yes, it was true. I must have been confused by all the similar looking shapes and the thinking/switching of "layer", "channels". It works now. But it is not very pretty looking, ugly edges. But now I know how to do it I can polish it further!

Thank you!!
Test Subject
#73 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 9:07 AM
HELP!!!!! This is my first time at creating things sim wise and im having a bit of trouble, i've created a pattern put it to a dds file loaded it into Delphy's Pattern package gone through what it says then when it comes to save as i just get an error message and the waffle below can anyone help please????

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at PatternCreator.Form1.sanitiseString(String input)
at PatternCreator.Form1.validateFields()
at PatternCreator.Form1.saveAsToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PatternPackager
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_ADM~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/Rar$EX00.594/PatternPackager.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Gibbed.Sims3.FileFormats
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/Local%20Settings/Temp/Rar$EX00.594/Gibbed.Sims3.FileFormats.DLL
Gibbed.Helpers
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/Local%20Settings/Temp/Rar$EX00.594/Gibbed.Helpers.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Test Subject
#74 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:30 AM
Well, I solved my problem of not being able to paste a layer into a channel, maybe this will help some people as well. Select the layer you want and just Select => All (CTRL+A), then copy/paste into the desired channel. Dunno why I haven't thought about it before x.x

Thanks for the tips! ^_^

*Goes off to make new pattersn!*
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#75 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 12:11 PM
ambereve Reinstall .NET Framework 3.5.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Page 3 of 7