Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#76 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 8:04 PM
Well, apparently, the issue I was having came from using GIMP, which is a shame, I much prefer it. But I suppose i can still do the original design work there, then use photoshop to import it to DDS format and paste into the channels.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Advertisement
Inventor
#77 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 9:07 PM
Well, apparently, the issue I was having came from using GIMP, which is a shame, I much prefer it. But I suppose i can still do the original design work there, then use photoshop to import it to DDS format and paste into the channels.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
#78 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 4:57 PM
Hi. My patterns are showing up in game as objects-floors. I can't figure out why this is. Can you help? Please?
Test Subject
#79 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 6:53 PM
How to make a custom specular map just like the changelog of v1.2 said? Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 1:03 PM
I import an DDS file but it never show up in the Pattern Program...

Tumblr: Springbunnysims
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:44 PM
Okay... So I'm a total noob, following tutorial STEP by STEP.

I'm at the point where you create a new image 256x256 and PASTE the layers from the first vectorized image INTO the CHANNELS of the new image?

Can't copy layers? Only duplicate layer! How do I copy layer and paste it into a different image's Channels?
I'm lost!
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM
AH! Well, I figured out you can just Ctrl+C the layer, and Ctrl+V to paste it into the channel when selecting the channel! Well now! :D
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 5:16 PM
Well... moving on... My problem now is that in the Pattern Packager, when I click browse to bring up the DDS file I made in photoshop, I get one of the error messages that says "File is not a supported DDS format."

I have the DDS Utilities plug-in for Photoshop CS4
I have .Net Framework build 3.5
I saved it as the DDS file and selected 8.8.8.8 ARGB or whatever it was.

Any ideas?
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 12:47 AM
songbirdRobyn: How on earth did you get the pasting to work? I'm no newbie at photoshop, far from it, and it is very simple task, but it won't actually paste. It looks like its trying to, but nothing appears.

EDIT: Oh. Apparently, I need to have some sort of a solid background on my new image. That would have been nice to know, since I had a transparent background. >.<

"A world of fantasy at my hand; I am greater than the greatest man."
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:50 PM
Newbie photoshop user here:
Am using HP's tutorial, but stuck on where it says, 'Then I need to save the result as a raster image'.....

How do i save as a raster when it's not in the save as drop-down list?
Do i just save as psd file?

Saved as psd for now, but have another problem, photoshop wont 'step backward' on all the steps so cant completly undo.

I prefer psp 9, much easier to use but saving as dds wont work in that

I like work, it fascinates me.
I could sit & watch it all day!

Simmodders UK
Test Subject
#86 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 9:51 PM
Help needed please!!
I've got .NET framework 3.5 installed but i get stuck when trying to save my pattern on Delphy's Pattern Packager. I don't know where I've gone wrong. This is the error message I always get

"Could not load file or assembly 'Gibbed.Sim3.FileFormats,
Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral. PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its
dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Thanks & cheers
Test Subject
#87 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 1:06 AM
Random question... What does making a pattern as a decal mean? I want to make a pattern that'll be centered on the back of a leather jacket and the pattern so far looks awesome but I want to make sure it's just on the back.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#88 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 1:22 AM
DeusExMachina - That's more for stuff like blood splatters and suchlike, I think. If you wait a couple days, you'll be able to do what you want with a soon-to-be-released tool.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#89 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 2:32 AM
elmorenz, you didn't extract all the files.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#90 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:58 PM
Silly me. Never download anything when you have kids around you. You'll never get it right. Thanks Delphy. You are a real gem. Cheers
Test Subject
#91 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 11:03 PM
HystericalParoxyism: AWESOME! I'm working on Sims of the un-morphed Rangers from Power Rangers: RPM so their jackets just have the emblem on the back. Good to know you guys are on top of things.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#92 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 3:34 PM Last edited by Lethe_s : 17th Jun 2009 at 7:00 PM. Reason: couble-checked
Reyn,

there is a trick to using Gimp.
If you have a four-tone pattern, you can follow the tutorial and use the default settings.
For anything less, when making the dds, you'll need to set it to RGBA8. It's in the drop-down list that also has the dxt settings. If you use that setting, your dds will not crash the pattern packager.
Forum Resident
#93 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 4:05 PM
Default It's My Birthday!!
Hi a lot of this is totally new for me, I'm clinging desperately to my Microsoft Digital Image Pro 7.0 but it seems I have to figure out some of GIMP to do this channel-pasting stuff and also so I can save as .dds.

So far I've been working thru the tutorial, and a couple other ones too, and I'm having some trouble working thru the channel pasting parts (it's exciting though, with each attempt I'm figuring out a tad bit more: i be learnin. is fun.) and I was wondering if the general idea here is that we are sort of 'tricking' the game into recognizing the areas of our patterns by plugging them into the particular channels?

Subtle In Spades
Fluffy
retired moderator
#94 Old 20th Jun 2009 at 4:58 PM
Hi khakidoo,
there's very little 'tricking' involved, though a lot of it is counterintuitive.
The basics are these: in any channel the black bits will be transparent (aka, invisible), and the white bits will receive colour. Gray bits are semi-transparent.
However: channels go on top of each other. So if you put a full white channel on top of a patterned one, you'll only see a floodfill in the game.
The game reads them in this order:
- red channel is at the bottom (this means, for me at least, that this is usually the background colour)
- green channel goes on top of that
- blue channel is one above that
- alpha is the top channel.

So anything that is white in the alpha channel, will overlap whatever you have put in the blue channel, and so on.

An example. Say you make a simple heart pattern. Just a background and some small hearts in a different colour.
- The background would be a fully white 'red channel'.
- The heart pattern will be in the 'green channel'. Make your channel black, with little white hearts.
- In the game itself, you can change the colours of the background and the hearts to your *ahem* heart's content.

Hope that helps
Test Subject
#95 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 6:47 AM
OK, so this is probably going to turn out to be a confusing question, but here goes:

I am continually getting stuck midway through the tutorial where it says "After you've got it all done in vector, you need to get it into a raster format...". Presumably we are switching programs here, from vector graphics program to image editing program. And you can't rasterize an image that isn't a vector, right? So how are we supposed to save the vector file for editing in the image editing program? In my case, I am trying to work between Inkscape and Photoshop. How do I save my pattern in Inkscape as a vector file which I can open in Photoshop, in order to rasterize it? Can it be done?

I would greatly appreciate any response. Thanks!
Theorist
#96 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 9:10 AM
How do I save as a DDS file?
Please help!
Forum Resident
#97 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:28 PM Last edited by khakidoo : 21st Jun 2009 at 7:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
Hi khakidoo,
there's very little 'tricking' involved, though a lot of it is counterintuitive.
... Hope that helps

Kinda sorta helps. Counterintuitivity gets me all the time. I don't the whys of it, but I did manage to work out the hows, and finally got a pattern to show in the game. It's like a treasure hunt, bits of info from here and there, and then finally it all falls into place. Hopefully I can now help some other folks:

Quote: Originally posted by sanspaper
OK, so this is probably going to turn out to be a confusing question, but here goes:

I am continually getting stuck midway through the tutorial where it says "After you've got it all done in vector, you need to get it into a raster format...". Presumably we are switching programs here, from vector graphics program to image editing program. And you can't rasterize an image that isn't a vector, right? So how are we supposed to save the vector file for editing in the image editing program? In my case, I am trying to work between Inkscape and Photoshop. How do I save my pattern in Inkscape as a vector file which I can open in Photoshop, in order to rasterize it? Can it be done?

I would greatly appreciate any response. Thanks!

I don't think it's quite that complicated... or at least not going from vector to raster; raster to vector is pretty much impossible, and I think that's why we are doing the tracing in vector to begin with, because most of the patterns and textures we amatuer creator types find on the internet are raster stuff to begin with. We trace it out vector-style because we want to crisp it up as much as possible. At least that's what I suspect, I could be entirely wrong

This may be helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_...ic_file_formats

And from http://www.logodesignworks.com/blog...hics-difference : “Whereas conversion from vector to raster is easily accomplished, raster conversion to vector is much more difficult (and often is not possible). Raster images typically are easily shared across various platforms, but can be more difficult than vector graphics to modify. As well, raster graphics are impacted by scaling.”

You should do the screenshot option. Just hold alt and press print screen on the keyboard and then go into gimp or whatever and paste it like normal (as if it were something you copied) into the channel you want it in.

Quote: Originally posted by Kiara24
How do I save as a DDS file?
Please help!

You need to get the plug-in for whichever program you're using. There are links to them in the tutorial, it's up to each person to figure out the details of installing the plug-ins into their programs. Once you get your particular plug-in configured, when you choose save as, the .dds format option should be available.

Subtle In Spades
Theorist
#98 Old 21st Jun 2009 at 5:55 PM
The program that I use is Photoshop.
Thanks for helping.
Test Subject
#99 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 12:39 AM
Thanks khakidoo. I spent way too long trying to think around this in a silly way
Test Subject
#100 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Melian_Alcarime
Oh. Apparently, I need to have some sort of a solid background on my new image. That would have been nice to know, since I had a transparent background. >.<

Thanks so much for posting how you solved this. I was fumbling with the same issue!
Page 4 of 7