Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 6:22 PM
Well I see that I am a little late to join this great conversation but I'll comment anyhow.

I am the owner of Mach3di.com, I was a moderator at Sims 99 for a couple of years before the site closed along with some really great people who are still dabbling in Machinima. I have been trying somewhat to keep the machinima craze going. Alot of folks have stopped playing Sims 2 and Sims 3 does not have the same movie making capabilities although I am going to make a Sims 3 machinima as well.

Now this is my opinion...The problem that I see is not finding directors, but finding viewers who are willing to review and finding directors that appreciate honest reviews. There are sites out there that movie makers go to but without honest reviews, the drive to create movies is not as strong. The community has seperated and I cannot figure out how to bring everyone together again.

http:www.dwelliford.com/simscinema

My new Sims Movies rating and reviewing site

http:www.mach3di.com

Come Join!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 17th Apr 2011 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dwelliford
Now this is my opinion...The problem that I see is not finding directors, but finding viewers who are willing to review and finding directors that appreciate honest reviews. There are sites out there that movie makers go to but without honest reviews, the drive to create movies is not as strong. The community has seperated and I cannot figure out how to bring everyone together again.

YES, Dwelliford! My opinion also. As a newcomer to scene, I have noticed exactly what you describe here.

Also as a newcomer, I can attest to the frustration many fans encounter when trying to develop an interest in Sims machinima (2 or 3.) Were it not for my tenacious personality, I would have given up long before I learned that good machinima is still being produced. Bad attitudes of many directors toward new fans does not help the cause. I've run across several fairly competent directors on YouTube who I'd much rather bitch-slap than support--all because of their disregard for the fans.

It seems to me that when the old community separated, as communities often do, it left the world of Sims machinima adrift. And without a strong core, what cropped up was a batch of "emo love" films that Trivialsim referred to in an earlier post. This led to a widespread decline of interest in the existing fan base. And it puts on a shabby front for new fans who might otherwise become quite loyal. Am I right so far?

This goes right back to your comment about directors being unreceptive to honest reviews. As a writer who has my work deconstructed weekly by a group of snarky novelists, I can vouch that every notion you have about this is true. Without honest feedback, both quality of the work produced and interest in it eventually disappear.

Dwelliford, I am with you all the way when it comes to bringing everyone together again. Count me as an ally. The website I'm designing will not offer the features that A Sims Tale and Mach3Di offer. It will only point viewers to those sites. We're concentrating more on searchability (such as SEO content) than any type of interactive platform. Sims99 still holds the top slot in a Google search for "Sims 2 machinima." I have no wish to dethrone India Drummond in the search returns, but I did have a brief conversation with her a week or so ago and I don't believe she has any intention of returning to the machinima community.

The downside is that it can take as long as nine months for a new site to rank appropriately in the search returns. And this is even after submitting it to Yahoo's "human" ranking board. So in the interim, I plan to offer as simple a website as possible, focus on rekindling fan interest, and try to network with as many existing directors/web moderators as I can.
Page 2 of 2