Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 4:52 AM
SimPe problems

(First off, I couldn't figure out what forum I should post this in, and figured it should go here because SimPE is a more complex program.)
I have been experiencing 2 problems in the well-known modding and hacking program, SimPe:
  1. When I try to put a new texture in, especially transparent .PNGs, they become blurry and pixelated after commiting.
  2. I can not, for the life of me, get it to appear in the game! I tried saving its .package file in the Downloads folder under My Documents, as well as making a .Sims2pack file and letting that install itself!

I have not made any mods before and this one seemed promising. It is a "Holoputer". I am NOT, however, new to any individual part of the modding process.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 9:13 AM
To get less blurry pictures, use the "Build DXT" option you get from right-clicking the image itself in SimPE. You need Nvidia DDS utilities installed for this, and then to let SimPE know where they are, in Extra/Preferences.

The above also takes care of you forgetting to "update all sizes" which is probably why your recolour does not appear in the game (you were looking at the object from a greater distance than the largest zoom deals with)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 4:58 PM
Like I said, I am no stranger to any individual step, such as recolors. I've done that successfully. No, this is a problem with the entire modding process, as in I cloned the computer, replaced the GMDC with my mesh, etc. I did update all texture sizes, and the problem is that the object will NOT appear in the game's catalogue.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 11:48 AM
Can't really tell what's going wrong with the package unless you post it. There are a lot of things which can cause objects not to show up, everything from uncommitted changes and incorrect catalogue settings to more tricky things like incorrect EP flags.

- Have you successfully remeshed objects before?
- Is the original object still in the catalogue? Does it now have a "custom" icon next to it?
- When you cloned your computer, did you disable your EPs to make it base game compatible?
- Did you make your object in Milkshape to preserve animations, or are you letting it stay static and ignoring the joints?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Supuhstar
Like I said, I am no stranger to any individual step, such as recolors. I've done that successfully.

Sorry, was confused in the light of:
Quote:
I have not made any mods before

Unless you are not calling a recolour a mod?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Sorry, was confused in the light of:

Unless you are not calling a recolour a mod?

No. I am calling a mod "a fully modified object". A recolor is just one step of that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
- Have you successfully remeshed objects before?

Yes, but mostly in TS1.
- Is the original object still in the catalogue? Does it now have a "custom" icon next to it?

A) Yes.
B) No, it is the computer from Teen Style Stuff.
- When you cloned your computer, did you disable your EPs to make it base game compatible?

No. Maybe that's it?
- Did you make your object in Milkshape to preserve animations, or are you letting it stay static and ignoring the joints?

I made it in milkshape, and exported/imported it in Milkshape ASCII txt.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 12:29 AM
That's helpful, but I still need to see the package. Could you post it please?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 10:00 AM
Just to let you know, the "Pear ShinyStation XTR" computer from Teen Style has been included in Apartment Life too: all the scenegraphic files, BHAVs, everything, except a valid OBJD (the OBJD exists, but has no catalog placement, and therefore it's not visible in catalog).
I don't know if this can shad a light on your problem, but anyway it was worth mentioning this.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 3:56 AM
That's helpful, but I still need to see the package. Could you post it please?

Here it is.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#11 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 12:26 AM
The link doesn't work for me. Can you attach it the usual way, please?

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 3:46 AM
Sorry, but I don't know how... I feel like such a N00B...
The ModFather
retired moderator
#13 Old 5th Nov 2008 at 7:56 AM
Click "Go Advanced" (immediately under the reply box), then "manage attachments". When done, write the post and click "Submit Reply".

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Nov 2008 at 11:16 PM
Sorry, upload.modthesims2 is broken and won't let me login. (btw, I do have cookies on) Also, "Go Advanced" does not exist for me.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#15 Old 7th Nov 2008 at 10:45 AM
Click on this thumbnail:

Can't you see that "Go Advanced" button in your browser, like in my screenshot?
You can't login to upload.modthesims2.com: it's an internal server only used via the "manage attachments" panel.