Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 24th May 2006 at 9:48 AM
Yes, you need the original TS2 disc, but only to create a "base-game" testing environment. If you just want to clone an object (i.e. what is explained in the first part only of the tutorial) you don't need it.

If you use frequently a base-game environment (alternating it with the normal game), then you have to swap the discs often; but if you have two CD drives, you can edit the Registry in order to instruct the game to look for the TS2 CD in one drive, and the EP CD in the other one.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#52 Old 26th May 2006 at 7:04 PM
Thank you, Numenor.

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 3rd Jun 2006 at 7:09 AM
mmm, I seem to be having trouble with this.
the exact path to my save-game folder (where the Downloads folder reside):
C: Documents and Settings/Mum/My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/downloads
the exact path to my game folder:
C: Program Files/EA GAMES

so my file looks like this....

SET SaveDrive=C:
SET SavePath=C:\Documents and Settings\Mum\My Documents\EA Games
SET GameDrive=C:
SET GamePath=C:\Program Files\EA GAMES
SET SimsLocalName=The Sims 2
SET GameParams=-w -r800x600
..but when I double click on it I got the message "The system cannot find the file specified" - sometimes this sentence comes up twice before the box closes and sometimes it comes up once then I get the initial Sims2 screen then that goes and the message box remains.
If that splash screen comes up, then I no longer get that message but this one instead and I find that it has changed the name of the Sims 2 folder to The Sims 2 - Fullgame.
"there is an error in the parameters.Please edit this batch file according to yourgame configuration."
Have I made some silly mistake that I can't see, or is there another problem maybe?

Update: Not sure if this is related or not, but I think it could be. Since I played around trying to get this to work, I have a new problem. When I start the game and get to the neighbourhood view it tells me that I have uninstalled the Uni EP (which of course I haven't) I closed it off and put the Uni disc in and it tried to start - I got the flash screen and the little bits going across the bottom (reticulating splines etc) but then it just quit to the desktop. The next time I tried I continued after it told me I had uninstalled Uni and then it said I had uninstalled Night Life!!!.
Anyway, this is what I *think* could be the problem. When I ran the basegame batch file, although it didn't let me get into the game, it did chang the name of my sims folder to The Sims 2 - Fullgame. So is it possible that it did more than that, while not doing the full job and letting me actually play, could it have convinced the system that I don't have the EPs? And if so, any ideas as to how I can correct it.. though a complete re-install is looking more likely.
Test Subject
#54 Old 4th Jun 2006 at 10:18 AM
thanx
thanx for de info im goin to need it i got de progrem but i didnt now how to use it so a big THANX
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#55 Old 4th Jun 2006 at 10:46 PM
Twinmum - I'm not sure what went wrong...
First off, double check that the .reg files are correctly located in the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Mum\My Documents\EA Games"; and that you have deleted all the .reg files related to the EPs that you DON'T own.
Then, look into again into the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Mum\My Documents\EA Games", and be sure that there is only the original "The Sims 2" subfolder, the one containing all your downloads and your original neighborhoods. Delete any other "The Sims 2" folders (be sure not to delete your main one!).

The errors that you have experienced have the following meaning:
1) If the game starts, but complains about an EP being uninstalled, this means that the batch file couldn't find the right .reg file(s);
2) if the game starts and then crashes to desktop, this means that you are trying to run a base-game over an "EP-compliant" neighborhood.

One last thing: I noticed in your previous post two odd things:
Quote:
the exact path to my game folder:
C: Program Files/EA GAMES
The slashes are wrong (paths need backslashes); but below your batch files seems correct...

The second thing is: are you sure that your documents folder is "...\My documents" and not simply "...\Documents"? I use Windows in Italian, so I can't be sure about this; but pleas double check it.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#56 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 3:21 AM
yup, my paths do have the backslash, I'm just so used to typing in URLs that I automatically put in forward slashes lol. But where it counts did have the backward ones. And it is 'My Documents' - anything I had to change, I double checked.

Well I solved my problem - sort of. We had also just installed FFS and it was playing havock with the graphics, so I did a complete uninstall and reinstalled everything except FFS (getting a new graphics card for my birthday in a couple of weeks, so FFS will have to wait till then) But I did try again after the new install and got the same problem (so reinstalled everything a second time ) I'm a bit wary to try a third time lol. We have a second computer, so I might just see if it can handle TS2 and just keep a base game on there.

Update: OK, I am making headway... I think lol. I decided against the second computer and after backing up all our games I tried it on this computer a third time. Well when I double click the shortcut, I still get the message that the sysem can't find the specified file - but then it asks me for the base game disk! The base game loads and works fine. I created a new blank neighbourhood so I could delete the existing ones, then I exited the game. Only in my EA Games folder, I now have two folders, one called The Sims 2 and one called The Sims 2 - FullGame. It did not change the name back and so when I put my OFB CD in it just loads the basegame with just the one blank neighbourhood (with OFB) Can I work around this by just manually changing the names when I have finished and if so, what should I call the basegame folder?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 11:09 AM
The first time the batch is executed, the batch looks for a folder named "The Sims 2 - BaseGame", and obviously it can't find it; so, the error message about not finding the specified file is normal (only the first time).
After the first run, the game creates a new clean "Sims 2" folder, that contains the base game NH; and when the batch ends, this new folder is renamed "The Sims 2 - BaseGame".

Therefore, when the batch is NOT running, you should have two folders:
1) "The Sims 2" (containing your "full" game)
2) "The Sims 2 - BaseGame" (containing the newly-created base game NH).
When the batch is NOT running, check the folders names, and rename them if needed as explained above.

On the contrary, when the batch IS running, you'll have:
1) "The Sims 2 - FullGame" (your EP-compliant NH)
2) "The Sims 2" (your base-game NH).
When the batch is running, you can't rename anything.

IMPORTANT: before running the batch, always be sure that all the game windows are closed! Especially the Downloads.

Field Researcher
#58 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 4:49 AM
Tank you.

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Test Subject
#59 Old 2nd Sep 2006 at 8:34 PM
Hey, just wanted to say thanx for making this posible, now my mods can work in the base game! Thanks'a'million
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 2:13 AM Last edited by Numenor : 1st Oct 2006 at 2:54 AM.
Default Thread Update!
30 SEPT 2006 - MAJOR CHANGES TO THIS THREAD!

I've released the "BaseGameStarter Installer: either you have an object to test in a real Base-Game environment, or you are just a TS2 nostalgic, now you can have back your old base game in a couple of clicks!
Download the Installer from this separate thread

This THREAD has been SPLITTED: here we can go on discussing how to create base game compliant objects; please post your question about the Installer or the Manual setup in the BaseGameStarter thread (in the Download / Game Modifications / Modding Tools forum)

Forum Resident
#61 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 9:06 PM
I roughly read through all the three pages and didn´t find my question answered so I´m trying here:

How can I clone an EP object after I have done what you explained? I think I´d have to reset the file table. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Sabine
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 2:18 AM
Not exactly "reset"... Just open again the File Table in the SimPE preferences, and check all the checkboxes, thus re-enabling all the EPs.
Remeber to restart SimPe, in order to apply your changes to the file table.

Forum Resident
#63 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 8:19 AM
Thanks, that´s easy. I´ve got another question. If I import Semiglobals (BHAVs, Pie Menu Options or Stings, Attributes Text Lists) will this mean that my objects will still need OfB?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 5:45 PM
The semiglobals are imported using the PJSE plugin, built-in in SimPE; the PJSE plugin is supposed to automatically read and use the settings from the File Table (in SimPE's preferences), but I've found that sometimes it may fail. In other words, it may happen that you set the File Table to exclude all the EPs, but still the imported semiglobal was taken from the latest EP.

The safest way to set SimPE to "base-game mode" is:

1) Extra -> Preferences -> File Table: deselect all the EPs (you can leave the CEP active), then hit "Reload", wait a little and click OK;
2) Tools -> PJSE plugin -> Reload file table
3) (Just to be 100% sure) Restart SimPE.

Now you can clone an object in a real "base-game mode", the imported semiglobals will be taken from the base game, and when you click on the "View BHAV" links you will always have the semiglobals taken from the base game.

To restore the "full mode" (all EPs), do the same, and don't forget to "Reload File Table" from the PJSE menu.

Test Subject
#65 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 8:08 PM
Just to clarify...
I have Uni, NL, OFB, and Pets. I want everyone to be able to download my lots, including people who only have the base game. So I just download this program and create my lots in it, right? And it won't affect my real game? Or am I just completely missing the point?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#66 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 11:50 PM
Yes, the BaseGameStarter PRO (downloadable from a separate thread) does exactly what you need. Your "Full" game will not be affected: the BaseGameStarter creates a new, clean "base game" for you, where you can create lots compatible with the base game. And when finished, you can go back to your normal "all EPs" game.

Test Subject
#67 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 9:23 AM
Thank you so much! *Huggles* I'll go get it now!
Test Subject
#68 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 9:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I have followed it and have the current SimPE for Pets', but i wanted to clone a base game object for my sister that doesn't have pets'. I have followed your instructions to a T as well as cleaning the cache, but whenever i load the object workshop all the objects that it is picking up is the holiday stuff from last year's EP. Is it just me that is having this problem?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 11:57 PM
Be sure that SimPE is closed. Open the folder where SimPE is installed, then open the subfolder "Data" and delete the file folders.xreg: this will reset the file table to the default (sometimes it may get corrupted).

Once done this, start SimPE and repeat the procedure from the beginning (i.e. uncheck all the EPs from the File Table, etc...).

Instructor
#70 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 12:21 AM
chat_wizardess, do you have FF/glamour installed? If some stuff (EPs/SPs) is missing and Numenor's suggestion doesn't work you might struggle with a SimPE bug. If you wanna join the QA you could get a fixed pre-release with other bugs for testing :D
Numenor, I really found a bug this time *surprised*

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Test Subject
#71 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 10:13 AM Last edited by chat_wizardess : 27th Nov 2006 at 10:20 AM.
Nope didn't work i don't have Glamour installed (but do have FF) so i'm going to head over and join and sending Khaibit a pm about the QA, Thanks for the telling me that there's a bug and it's not me! :D

Thanks though Numenor!
Test Subject
#72 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 6:09 PM
I am kind of new to this stuff, but Now that I downloaded this program- none of my custom content is in the game. Do I need to move the download folder some where for it to all show up? The dowload folder is there but again, none of it shows up in the game anymore. Thanks
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 3rd Dec 2006 at 7:04 PM
Qteajme - When you run a BGS game (i.e. the base game, or only-UNI etc...) of course there will NOT be any downloads: each BGS game runs in a different folder, that is "freshly made" (no downloads or anything: just the optional mini-game).

But if you mean that after having closed the BGS game, you run your normal game and you don't find your downloads, then it's different: you must have had an error while the BGS game was closing down, and the folders weren't renamed correctly.
Close all the windows and programs (and games ) and run the Repair Installation program, clicking on the icon with a red HELP word on it.
If you DON'T have any arror, then the repair was successful: you can run your normal game and you should see all your downloads.

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 5:18 PM
Bare with me Modfather, I just sent you a PM. I found this tutorial before receiving a response from you. Now, if I understand this correctly. As it took a bit to find the proper tab to locate the file table. I'm dealing with version 0.60.2.20832 so I'm not familiar with all the changes that have taken place through the years of it's inception. I'm a beginner trying to jump start after inception of quite a few programs. So most tutorials are very confusing for me. Now than I found the file table if I were to say deselect the expansion packs that I don't want to be attached to the files I would go in & remove the (x) from the EPs that I don't want attached to the item(s) in question?

Hello, my name is DeBRA; I'm a sims addict, I can change if I have to I guess, but I don't wanna. My alias' are MsMacDugle, Bornagainmommabear, bornagainmomma, fairyqueen1317, etc...
Part-time Hermit
#75 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 5:47 PM
Yes, you remove the checkmark and then restart SimPE for the change to take effect.
Page 3 of 5