Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#2826 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 10:50 PM
I'll post a screenshot of my latest temperatures going on currently - while the game is running, a fan is blowing against the laptop and the house A/C running. You can see from the min to max there's been a large comparison.

As you can see, Core #3 and Package get the biggest temperature impact, and CPU #7 is used most during the game. I did recently add that bit on the Sims 2 UC desktop properties to have it run on just one of my CPUs for smoother performance with the buy and build modes, although that didn't really seem to help with the lag.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2827 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 10:59 PM
There is one thing you can try if you haven't already. They're called laptop cooling pads - just put it on your desk, and put your laptop on top, and it'll pull some of the heat from it. It's really not good for a long-term solution though. I believe you can get them for around 20 dollars or so.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#2828 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 11:22 PM
I've had a cooling pad for about two years I think, although it may not be as efficient as some with multiple fans. What's funny is when I feel underneath the computer, it feels quite cool except for one corner. I think that corner is the one with the fourth core or the package.
Alchemist
#2829 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 11:57 PM
Look into coolers like these . This is what I bought when the cooling pad I tried didn't lower the temperature much.
Mad Poster
#2830 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 12:57 AM
Question: At some point in the past, I accidentally deleted a folder with some CC objects. I played the game several times between when it got deleted and when I noticed. I restored the folder from backup.

Will the object have disappeared in any households that I haven't played, though? One of my sims has a lot of money tied up in some investment silvers that were in that folder.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2831 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:00 AM
They have most likely disappeared or been replaced with what they were cloned from, I had that happen in my medieval game when I accidentally deleted a folder of cc.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2832 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:01 AM
Oh. Welp, let's just say the silver market crashed.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2833 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:45 AM
I cheated my families some money and did my best to restore what they had before lowering their funds back with family funds.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#2834 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:56 AM
I just checked back on the lot. The silver bars are still there. I guess it's because I never opened or saved the lot while the objects were missing.

Inventor
#2835 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Look into coolers like these . This is what I bought when the cooling pad I tried didn't lower the temperature much.

Ooo, that really tempted me. Thanks for sharing. Fortunately, this laptop does have its venting on the side so the Opolar should work.
Scholar
#2836 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
Question: At some point in the past, I accidentally deleted a folder with some CC objects. I played the game several times between when it got deleted and when I noticed. I restored the folder from backup.

Will the object have disappeared in any households that I haven't played, though? One of my sims has a lot of money tied up in some investment silvers that were in that folder.

Usually, deleted objects will only disappear from lots as you open those lots for playing. As long as a lot remains unplayed after deleting the CC files, you can reinstate those files and find your lots unaffected afterwards.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2837 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 10:25 AM
The lots had not been played and the cc had been restored.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#2838 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 12:40 PM

What the heckie is this? Is it Store Edition?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2839 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alljoj

What the heckie is this? Is it Store Edition?

No, it's the default video codec that Sims 2 uses. It's possible to change that codec, if you wish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP6

@alljoj
Scholar
#2840 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 5:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
No, it's the default video codec that Sims 2 uses. It's possible to change that codec, if you wish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP6

@simsample

Would you happen to know where that is found for those who do *not* use the UC? If I use a windows search, it only finds references to VP6 in certain config files, but nothing else.
Instructor
#2841 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 6:45 PM
What happened to retailsims?? They used to have a ton of cute decorative items and ofb shop ready like a sims fedex and herb shop, lingerie etc!!

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
Mad Poster
#2842 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frenchyxo22
What happened to retailsims?? They used to have a ton of cute decorative items and ofb shop ready like a sims fedex and herb shop, lingerie etc!!

It wasn't active for a couple of years anyway and like other abandoned sites was not renewed and went into history.
You can try Wayback Machine to get what is saved but what is not is lost.
Instructor
#2843 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
It wasn't active for a couple of years anyway and like other abandoned sites was not renewed and went into history.
You can try Wayback Machine to get what is saved but what is not is lost.

Awesome i was able to find their stuff. I was worried for a second lol
its so weird i know visited that site a few months ago and then poof its gone.

Thank YOU!

Peace, Harmony & Balance... Libra is Love..
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2844 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BoilingOil
@simsample

Would you happen to know where that is found for those who do *not* use the UC? If I use a windows search, it only finds references to VP6 in certain config files, but nothing else.

@BoilingOil
Either in your Origin folders or on your install CDs/DVDs. Those are the setup files to install the codec during game install; the actual codec will be installed to your operating system- it's in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on my Win7 PC (vp6vfw.dll).
Scholar
#2845 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@BoilingOil
Either in your Origin folders or on your install CDs/DVDs. Those are the setup files to install the codec during game install; the actual codec will be installed to your operating system- it's in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on my Win7 PC (vp6vfw.dll).

Cool, got it. So if I install a later version, it will probably also go into SysWOW64, and I can simply change the reference in the config files, I assume?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2846 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 7:38 PM
Top Secret Researcher
#2847 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 9:34 PM
I had my Sim go to The Cacti Cafe at La Fiesta Tech, and noticed his what should be fully open performance bar only 1/3 open, below the pass/fail line. I sent him home to his dorm, it was fully open, sent him to a different LFT community lot, fully open. So I sent him back to The Cacti cafe, sure enough it was only at 1/3 again but I had him do an assigment and some group research, over-filling the little bit that showed to be open, sent him back home, and it appears it is just a visual glitch because his performance did increase more than it would show on The Cacti cafe lot. So can I write it off as a weird graphical glitch or is something wrong with that particular lot?

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#2848 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 10:00 PM
The grade glitch is a weird one. It does seem to be associated with a particular lot, but it also only affects some students on it! Ignore it till it becomes a problem. The glitch itself exists in the vanilla game, so though various mods may have unpredictable interactions with it producing even more bizarre effects, as long as the actual grades aren't suffering, it isn't worth the time and hassle of troubleshooting.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#2849 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 10:07 PM
There is a way in game to flat the hood bridges?

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Top Secret Researcher
#2850 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 10:13 PM
Thanks.I'll just ignore that one then, as long as actual grades aren't suffering

Another thing i've just now noticed because it's the second time it's happened, is when I go into a lot and someone has been saved reading a skill book their skill won't go up, no matter how long they keep at it, not until I exit them out of the interaction, then they can get a skill book again and progress will resume normally. So it's not a big deal as it's easily fixed...just..weird.

My Simblr
He/They
Page 114 of 1339