Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#201 Old 29th Nov 2018 at 9:19 PM
So I made up my mind and decided to give this a try.
I'm not sure I'll follow all the rules since I'm more used to fund community lots with taxes. I use also no inheritance and no 20k handout mods and I'm also thinking about modding the genie lamp out.

I rolled the families. It's quite a challenge since I like to start with smaller households made with adults only.
One of my yeoman family consists of a couple of elders and a toddler. I'm wondering what will happen when the elders will die.

I have a few questions due barrier language, I think. *blushes*
I got two large families.

The gentry family got two male elders, one female elder, one adult couple, one teen and two children.
Q: Is it fine to use one of the male elder as the Captain of the military barracks?

One of the peasants family counts an adult, an elder, two teen, three toddlers and a child.
Q: If they're allowed a double bed and a crib, does it mean that some of them will sleep on the floor until they can afford more beddings?
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#202 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 2:09 AM
Welcome, Essa, and so glad to hear you are trying the challenge! One of the things I love about all the simmers who try my challenges is how incredibly creative they are and how each person has a vision for how they want their take on the challenge to unfold their way! By all means tweak the rules and set-up to fit your own playstyle.

Your families sound quite interesting and I look forward to hearing how they play out -- the elders and toddler family especially! The answer to both your questions is Yes; as far as the second question, I usually make them take turns and somebody has to sleep on the sofa, lol!

Please let us know how your game goes along, always fun to hear how people play out the challenge!
Happy Simming!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Theorist
#203 Old 30th Nov 2018 at 5:45 PM Last edited by Essa : 30th Nov 2018 at 6:18 PM.
Thanks for the answer, vllygrl.
I'm far from starting the challenge though.
I already picked a name for the hood, Déhalia.

I'm eager to use most of PBK's stuff and see how I can implement them in my game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#204 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 5:33 AM
You're welcome! Let me know if you have any more questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Interesting hood name! I also like to set up my hood and its backstory before I actually start playing, PBK certainly is a tremendous source for medieval cc.

The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Mad Poster
#205 Old 1st Dec 2018 at 9:08 PM
I'm still toying with the idea of playing this challenge in some form or another, and I'm curious to know how other simmers manage to make enough money for peasant and yeoman households to pay their taxes/tithes/rents?! Do they do other things to make money as well as their main occupation (foraging, swineherd, beekeeper etc)? Do they have to sell everything through a (home) business or can they also sell stuff through Buy Mode? Can anyone give me any tips?! :-)
Instructor
Original Poster
#206 Old 4th Dec 2018 at 6:41 PM Last edited by vllygrl : 4th Dec 2018 at 6:43 PM. Reason: spelling?!
Hi lauratje86!
Glad to hear you are having another look at the challenge, many people tweak it to suit their play styles so you wouldn't be alone! Mostly I make my peasants and yeomen work their tails off - long hours, little sleep, and sometimes collapses! If they're really desperate, I can send them to forage, poach , steal, or take out a loan from a moneylender, which of course gets them into even more trouble. Children, teens and elders all have to do their share and work in gardens, fishing, etc. The only thing I ever sell back to the catalog is anything they do manage to dig up from someone else's land - that's theft also, so of course they have to sell it surreptitiously! Or you could create a pawnbroker ....
Let me know if you have any other questions! The MCC is still getting a couple downloads per week, so I know there are lots of simmers out there who are trying/playing and could contribute some tips!
Happy Simming,
Vllygrl

Mad Poster
#207 Old 30th Dec 2018 at 9:39 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 31st Dec 2018 at 9:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
Let me know if you have any other questions!

It seems I'm basically made of questions! :-D I still can't make my mind up about how I want to set up my MCC 'hood (premade sims (and which ones?!) or CAS sims (and how would I randomly generate them?), how many settlements in one 'hood etc), but I really really do want to play a medieval 'hood and this challenge seems like an excellent way to do so. I am keen to use Sun&Moon's sets, and would appreciate your input on how to do so whilst also meeting the challenge rules.

Some of the Sun&Moon sets have direct equivalents in your rules (for example poulterer, swineherd, cow herdsman), but there are some sets which I would like to be able to use but I'm not sure at which level they would be available - settlement, hamlet, village etc. I would appreciate your input on whether the following sets should be for peasants or yeomen, and at which level (and input from others who play the MCC, are familiar with Sun&Moon's sets etc). As all of the farming occupations are available from settlement level I have stuck with that, and I have written in brackets what I think for each set - you may disagree! :-D

- Butcher (yeomen, settlement or maybe hamlet?)
- Corn (peasants or yeomen?, settlement)
- Basket & Furniture Weaving (yeoman, village?)
- Reed Collecting (peasants, settlement)
- Goatsherd (yeomen?, settlement)
- Hay (peasant or yeomen and/or anyone who needs hay to feed their livestock?, settlement)
- Pigeons (were only kept by the upper classes, so perhaps gentry and up?, settlement)
- Saltmaking (yeomen as an extra source of income?, settlement, only if they have access to salt water)
- Hunting (peasants, settlement)
- Trapping (peasants, settlement)
- Rabbits (peasants, settlement)

Also one which would require some imagination/workarounds to implement, but which would use some of the products from Sun&Moon sets - Tanner/Furrier (yeomen, hamlet). And also Carpenter (yeomen, village) using DeeDee-Sims' fabulous woodworking bench.

I would use the chickens, ducks and/or geese for poulterer peasants, I think. For foraging peasants I would use the wild berry bushes, wild mushrooms, herbs, nuts and giving trees (for eggs, nuts and sap), and possibly also fruit trees? Does that make sense?
Lab Assistant
#208 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I'm still toying with the idea of playing this challenge in some form or another, and I'm curious to know how other simmers manage to make enough money for peasant and yeoman households to pay their taxes/tithes/rents?! Do they do other things to make money as well as their main occupation (foraging, swineherd, beekeeper etc)? Do they have to sell everything through a (home) business or can they also sell stuff through Buy Mode? Can anyone give me any tips?! :-)

Hihi, I was very nervous about making it through the tax period with my lower classes at first, but they have always managed to squeak by unless something catastrophic happens. One sim had §8 left at the end of her first rotation, but by gum she paid her taxes!

I had all of my production sims focus on one occupation and sell their goods from a home business for the most part until I unlocked the Merchant, who I put in charge of the general market. The production workers then began selling goods directly to him at a markup and ultimately took home more in profit because they focused all of their time on producing goods instead of trying to run a shop simultaneously. When I cycled round to the Merchant's household I had him open up a market using the goods he'd collected/purchased from the other sims in the rotation and he sells those back to the community. Rinse and repeat. It's all a bit squiffy at the start while you try to get it up and running, but I've found that this method is pretty effective and gives you the satisfaction of creating a truly self-sufficient 'hood

The exceptions to this rule were my Woodworkers, who I had open their own small community lot shop so that my sims would be able easily buy wood when they needed to and my Blacksmith who has his own weird function in my 'hood. My Merchants all sell specialty stuff that I don't want to be part of the town market, but any raw materials they need for crafting/production comes from my peasant and yeomen as well.

I'm also not exactly sure if everything I just said is against the MCC rules or no...I know that you're only supposed to have home businesses at the start for peasants/yeomen, but I tend to tweak the rules to suit my game, so that worked for me :p
Mad Poster
#209 Old 31st Dec 2018 at 5:28 AM
Jumping in here with something I've been doing: using this download, I've made a (owned) medieval merchant's lot where everyone can buy these coins, and when the Lord of the realm stops by each householder's lot, transfer them to him by making him selectable and putting them into his inventory. That satisfies the tax requirements.

Investment Silver

The small coins, though-the larger ingots are only for the banks. I haven't done a tally yet of how much the local lord in my medieval neighborhood has made but I'm sure it's a couple of thousand.

They're very attractive to buyers. A merchant featuring these coins is guaranteed a profitable business.There are also recolors by Daislia linked in the download.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Instructor
Original Poster
#210 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 5:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
It seems I'm basically made of questions! :-D I still can't make my mind up about how I want to set up my MCC 'hood (premade sims (and which ones?!) or CAS sims (and how would I randomly generate them?), how many settlements in one 'hood etc), but I really really do want to play a medieval 'hood and this challenge seems like an excellent way to do so. I am keen to use Sun&Moon's sets, and would appreciate your input on how to do so whilst also meeting the challenge rules.

Some of the Sun&Moon sets have direct equivalents in your rules (for example poulterer, swineherd, cow herdsman), but there are some sets which I would like to be able to use but I'm not sure at which level they would be available - settlement, hamlet, village etc. I would appreciate your input on whether the following sets should be for peasants or yeomen, and at which level (and input from others who play the MCC, are familiar with Sun&Moon's sets etc). As all of the farming occupations are available from settlement level I have stuck with that, and I have written in brackets what I think for each set - you may disagree! :-D

- Butcher (yeomen, settlement or maybe hamlet?)
- Corn (peasants or yeomen?, settlement)
- Basket & Furniture Weaving (yeoman, village?)
- Reed Collecting (peasants, settlement)
- Goatsherd (yeomen?, settlement)
- Hay (peasant or yeomen and/or anyone who needs hay to feed their livestock?, settlement)
- Pigeons (were only kept by the upper classes, so perhaps gentry and up?, settlement)
- Saltmaking (yeomen as an extra source of income?, settlement, only if they have access to salt water)
- Hunting (peasants, settlement)
- Trapping (peasants, settlement)
- Rabbits (peasants, settlement)

Also one which would require some imagination/workarounds to implement, but which would use some of the products from Sun&Moon sets - Tanner/Furrier (yeomen, hamlet). And also Carpenter (yeomen, village) using DeeDee-Sims' fabulous woodworking bench.

I would use the chickens, ducks and/or geese for poulterer peasants, I think. For foraging peasants I would use the wild berry bushes, wild mushrooms, herbs, nuts and giving trees (for eggs, nuts and sap), and possibly also fruit trees? Does that make sense?

Hi lauratje86! Wow! You do have a lot of questions - obviously you have been thinking through your set-up quite carefully! I will try my best to answer:
First of all, I do agree with all your ideas for the levels using Sun & Moon's excellent sets, and I do use them frequently as they are so perfect for a historical take on the game. My only suggestions to tweak your ideas would be that Butcher be an artisan yeoman at the Settlement Level, and Tanner/Furrier - artisan yeomen at the Settlement Level, because livestock is being kept at that level and tanning and butchering would naturally have been required along with the keeping of livestock.

As far as randomizing households, some people like the random method, and some don't. Sometimes I like to mix it up a bit, so two other methods I have used are:
1. Make as many adult couples as needed for the number of households required. Make the couple a brother and sister, so that each household is one family surname, and there are many marriageable singles.
2. Make as many households as required, each one consisting of 8 sims - 2 adults, 2 teens, 2 children, 2 toddlers. For variety, switch the toddlers for 2 elders.
Hope this helps!
Cheers, Vllygrl

Instructor
Original Poster
#211 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mortia
Hihi, I was very nervous about making it through the tax period with my lower classes at first, but they have always managed to squeak by unless something catastrophic happens. One sim had §8 left at the end of her first rotation, but by gum she paid her taxes!

I had all of my production sims focus on one occupation and sell their goods from a home business for the most part until I unlocked the Merchant, who I put in charge of the general market. The production workers then began selling goods directly to him at a markup and ultimately took home more in profit because they focused all of their time on producing goods instead of trying to run a shop simultaneously. When I cycled round to the Merchant's household I had him open up a market using the goods he'd collected/purchased from the other sims in the rotation and he sells those back to the community. Rinse and repeat. It's all a bit squiffy at the start while you try to get it up and running, but I've found that this method is pretty effective and gives you the satisfaction of creating a truly self-sufficient 'hood

The exceptions to this rule were my Woodworkers, who I had open their own small community lot shop so that my sims would be able easily buy wood when they needed to and my Blacksmith who has his own weird function in my 'hood. My Merchants all sell specialty stuff that I don't want to be part of the town market, but any raw materials they need for crafting/production comes from my peasant and yeomen as well.

I'm also not exactly sure if everything I just said is against the MCC rules or no...I know that you're only supposed to have home businesses at the start for peasants/yeomen, but I tend to tweak the rules to suit my game, so that worked for me :p

Hi Mortia! Thanks for your excellent input! I don't think you've broken any rules, lol! I love seeing how other simmers create their own take on the challenge! I love your market idea, and that is what I had in mind in my Crown of Laurels Challenge http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610236

Shires shall develop trade by bringing their Regional Specialities to sell at the weekly markets to be held in the Weekly Market Lot every Saturday. (This essential business is to allow the Shires to sell their Regional Specialties. This lot should be owned by the Merchant; he first buys the specialty products from the Shire peasants, hires them as employees at his business to tend their own stall, pays them (low) wages and he keeps the remainder of the income on which he is of course, taxed at tax time).

Please tell us more about your game, it is so interesting to hear from those playing the challenge!
Cheers, Vllygrl

Instructor
Original Poster
#212 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Jumping in here with something I've been doing: using this download, I've made a (owned) medieval merchant's lot where everyone can buy these coins, and when the Lord of the realm stops by each householder's lot, transfer them to him by making him selectable and putting them into his inventory. That satisfies the tax requirements.

Investment Silver

The small coins, though-the larger ingots are only for the banks. I haven't done a tally yet of how much the local lord in my medieval neighborhood has made but I'm sure it's a couple of thousand.

They're very attractive to buyers. A merchant featuring these coins is guaranteed a profitable business.There are also recolors by Daislia linked in the download.

Hi FranH!
Love your way of doing the tax-gathering and the merchant selling coins! The investment silver is something I always use in my game, too! Thanks for your helpful comments!
Cheers, Vllygrl

Mad Poster
#213 Old 2nd Jan 2019 at 10:54 AM
I did a fast accounting of what the liege lord had really made in his tax collection, by the way-in 3 working days, he'd amassed $6,000. Pretty nice amount of change, there!
He's saving up to buy the large and uninhabited manor that he'd been eyeing for a very long time.
He's going to be one very rich landholder if collections keep up at this rate!

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Instructor
Original Poster
#214 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 3:41 AM
That's "rich"!

Mad Poster
#215 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 2:52 PM
It's more like an outright castle-to be honest. Unfurnished it goes for $42,000. Furnishings are to be bought by the owner. That can rack up some very serious money. He'd better be a king before he can buy this puppy. (I wish I had a good picture of it-very good build myself, if I do say so. Looks as good as when I finished it 5 years ago-and I'm still using it.)

Instructor
Original Poster
#216 Old 4th Jan 2019 at 4:41 AM
Hahahaha!!! I'd love to see a picture of it -- always a good feeling when you get a build just right, something I still struggle with. Right now I'm trying to nail that ancient look for a couple of villages I'm trying to build. I can't seem to get it quite right, I think in Sims 2 things are a little too straight and tidy.
I want winding streets and footpaths and grungy, a whole village looking like Elut's Backrow Lots.

Mad Poster
#217 Old 4th Jan 2019 at 11:34 AM
Well, here's a rough picture of it from neighborhood view. Mind you, it looks a lot better up close.
3 stories tall, it's made out of stone inside and out. Yes, it is octagonal, and that was intentional.

It sits on a 3x3 size lot. Very minimally furnished only with bathrooms and hanging chandeliers-and the kingdom's pennant flying from the ramparts, stately lions on guard at the doorway.

I think it's purty...
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#218 Old 5th Jan 2019 at 2:28 AM
Thank you all for your replies! :-) It's interesting to read about how you've adapted the challenge to make it work for you, @Mortia - I follow you on Tumblr and your MCC posts are the main thing which make me keep coming back to wanting to play a medieval 'hood! Your game is so beautiful, and I love reading your stories.

Thank you for the answers, Vllygrl. I recently found the MCC thread over on PBK, so I've been reading through that. I have been adapting/rewriting your MCC rules to work with the way that I play, so that I can play an MCC-style 'hood without having to give up on any of the bits of my playstyle that I love (and am used to!). I have decided to start setting up my 'hood, which is going to be a "past" version of Peni Griffin's Widespot, set 20 days ago, plus a few other households. I've decided to make a sim-version of my RL family (as it was 20 years ago, so just me and my parents) and they will be the Gentry household :-D

I have another question. One of the possible trades/occupations for yeoman is "tinker". What would a tinker actually do in game to make money? In RL they would fix (metal) things, but I can't see how that would make enough money in-game to sustain a yeoman household. Did you have something in particular in mind for them in-game?
Instructor
Original Poster
#219 Old 5th Jan 2019 at 4:28 AM Last edited by vllygrl : 5th Jan 2019 at 4:31 AM. Reason: spelling?!
@FranH: That is a striking looking castle - the octagonal towers are awesome! Thanks for the pic, it really is amazing what you can fit on a 3x3 lot, I don't like playing large lots much so 3x3 is about as big as I ever use.

@lauratje86: Never give up on your own playstyle for sure! Adapt at will, I say!

Your ideas of a "past" version of Peni's Widespot is intriguing, plus the addition of your own family as the Gentry household should be fun! There is a lot of great information on the MCC PBK thread and it is a useful resource.

In the game, I see Tinkers as people who "tinker" or fix things, and who go door to door selling gadgets, small tools, sharpening knives, and the like, using their inventory and perhaps trading. An itinerant tinker might not be able to support much of a household, but if they were really successful, they might open a shop to do the same sorts of things or the second generation might be able to take that step, depending on finances, circumstances, storyline, etc.

Mad Poster
#220 Old 5th Jan 2019 at 4:54 AM Last edited by lauratje86 : 5th Jan 2019 at 5:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by vllygrl
In the game, I see Tinkers as people who "tinker" or fix things, and who go door to door selling gadgets, small tools, sharpening knives, and the like, using their inventory and perhaps trading. An itinerant tinker might not be able to support much of a household, but if they were really successful, they might open a shop to do the same sorts of things or the second generation might be able to take that step, depending on finances, circumstances, storyline, etc.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you! :-)

I've also been thinking a bit more about the use of Sun&Moon's hunting/trapping sets, after reading the MCC thread on PBK, and I've decided to restrict peasants to (legal) trapping of some small animals and (illegal) hunting or trapping of larger animals. And larger animals will only be able to be legally hunted or trapped by gentry, nobility and royalty. I reckon that this makes more sense, from a historical perspective. And it will mean that my gentry+ males will get to go on hunts, which I think could be fun to play.

**ETA** Oooooh, another question! I noticed that they don't have one at set-up, but are yeomen allowed to buy a bookcase? The rules state that peasants are illiterate, and merchants+ all start off with at least one bookcase, but I'm not sure how it works for yeomen.....
Instructor
Original Poster
#221 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 3:20 AM
Yes, Yeomen could purchase a bookcase as one of their household upgrade purchases - after all, how better to show their friends and acquaintances that they are moving up in the world!!

Mad Poster
#222 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 10:40 AM
My peasants have one want as a matter of fact-to buy a bookcase-at least the knowledge ones.

Instructor
Original Poster
#223 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 11:29 PM
That's trickier. Peasants may yearn to get book-learning, but there's no way they could ever afford to buy books!

Lab Assistant
#224 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 1:38 AM
Haha, I don't allow peasants or yeoman to have books or attend school at all. If they're knowledge sims then they either need to find a way to move up to the merchantry through marriage/hard work OR they can take religious orders 😈
Instructor
Original Poster
#225 Old 4th Feb 2019 at 8:04 PM
Exactly the way I play it too, Mortia!

Page 9 of 11