Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 9:18 AM
Default Desk with glass help
I made a desk with a glass top. (under the glass is a "fishtank") But the glass is not see-thru. I have done items with glass before, but they always had 2 textures, 1 for the "object" and 1 for the "glass". The desk only comes with 1 texture, so I tried to put the glass into the texture itself, but it did not work. I used "build DXT" and put it in as a DXT3. What did I do wrong, or what do I need to do differently? I also made a bed with glass and the same problem happened. I did not change the material description in the MATD editor from "none" to "blend" as this makes the whole desk kinda transparent.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AquaticImaginationdeskbyMissWendy102906.zip (125.7 KB, 9 downloads)

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 10:21 AM Last edited by Khaibit : 30th Oct 2006 at 10:32 AM.
Without DLing your package I can tell you the mistake (I did to help you and yes, it's a logical mistake, don't get me wrong, I'll try and explain): You need a seperated subset for the glass because the TXMT can't manage to display 2 seperated kinds of texture at once. For the glass effect this one subset has to refer to reflectionkitchenhighcontrast-envcube and needs the right settings in the TXMT to display the glass as such... whenever you want one texture to have different options (like the transparency) you need to adjust these options in a seperated TXMT that tells this texture how to behave ("be transparent but not invisible, have this kind of colour, your shadow can be displayed but it's a light one, be reflective like this etc."
Added the subset, you have to change the texture, update SHPE etc. on your own.
Hope this helped

Edit: a TXMT encyclopedia is in progress, when published you should study it to understand the TXMT better, complex topic.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AquaticImaginationdesksubsetadded.rar (107.5 KB, 17 downloads)

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 5:59 PM
Thank you for quick response. I will give that a try. I look forwaard to the upcoming TXMT encyclopedia. Do you know when it will be up and ready?

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Instructor
#4 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 6:36 PM
You're welcome

And: The team (Numenor, niol, pixelhate and me are active involved...) makes for now only slowly progress because of the Pets expansion and because it's really a huuuge topic with lots of unexplored parameter, lots of stuff to sort and everything has to be presented in an understandable way without being too simple. I really can't answer but we are working on it. Just mentioned that you keep it in mind because this will help you to understand better than an answer in a thread could explain the Material Definition to you. So when it's offered (of course ASAP :D) many modders should have some stuff to work with

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 5:28 AM
Default still need help
I have tried at least 5 times to add a subset for the desk glass, but everytime I try it doesn't work. I do not understand what I am doing wrong. I have went through Numenors checklist for transparent or flashing textures and still I can't figure it out. I followed the subset tutorial page by page.... Can you help me? Please? Thank you.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AquaticImaginationdeskbyMissWendy102906.zip (90.6 KB, 7 downloads)

Instructor
#6 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 6:23 AM
Take a look at Post No 2, I added a glass subset - It's easy: you just need another subset likt this, either a) in the same package or b) in another package (didn't take a look at the tuts again, maybe I'm repeating):
a) just choose the subset in the resource list you want to clone with right-click and choose clone :D
b) just choose the subset in the resource list (TXMT) you want to clone with right-click again but this time choose - I guess it's something like 'unpack' in English, take a look at the screenshot and look for the symbol - and save this resource at your HDD. Back to your package, choose the TXMT and right-click in the resource list. Choose "add" and open the file you saved before. Run a Fix Integry and that's it.
Don't forget: When adding a Texture Override (MMAT) you have to get a new GUID for the "family", generated by the Hash Generator.
Screenshots