Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 9:07 AM
Default lit, unlit lamp textures problem
Hi, I'm currently trying to make a floorlamp having a new mesh. Ive pretty much done everthing correctly through and the lamp worked in the game. However, when it is lit, the texture becomes a flashing blue; I've changed the texture of the "shade" when it's unlit and lit, but the lit shade did not show in the game.

I understand that both the separate textures for the "lit" and "unlit" state share the common mesh "shade", but I suspect this has something to do with improper link of the "lit" texture to the mesh when I edited the mesh and imported it. I was wondering if anyone can help with this problem, I'd really appreciate it
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 10:45 AM
Hi blake_boy :D
I could guess where the error is located... (file?!)
It sounds like a linking problem so try this checklist out on your own. :P

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 11:14 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Dec 2006 at 1:36 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Thanks for replying Khaibit, and I appreciate the link you gave I followed through the steps, from 1 to 7, and did everything the list told me to do, but the problem still persists. I have attached the package file, i'd love for someone to have a look at it, see what the problem is. I appreciate all the help
Instructor
#4 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 12:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blake_boy
I have attached the package file
So you understood the broad hint I gave to you without any problems *patpat*

OK, think I found it: When looking at the scenegrapher (useful tool btw) I found out that
1.The TXMT 'ray's-beach-lantern_bulb_unlit_txmt' doesn't refer to a TXTR file and so you have an orphan TXMT (ray's-beach-lantern_gshadow_unlit_txmt) - as the problem appears when the lamp is turned on I suppose the mistake is caused by
2. you do not have the referring TXMT to the bulb_lit version, the bulb in 'turned on mode', so you confuse your poor little lamp and because of this confusion it starts to flash blue...
Serious: just add the TXTR for the tunred on bulb and your error should be fixed, mean: repeat the step for the turned on bulb If not... next try :D

Just for the case someone noticed that I try and help again and again: this helps me to improve my skills, too (trying to give another broad hint )

Test Subject
#5 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 12:51 PM
umm, just quickly butting in here, how do you create objects? they're not on the body shop...
Instructor
#6 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XAlundraX
umm, just quickly butting in here, how do you create objects? they're not on the body shop...

Wrong forum, this is the subforum of what you are searching for (you tried, did you? ) Try this thread out for the beginning - and the BS is for clothiing, skins, accesories, make up, hair - and everything else Sim related/ referring to but not for objects, that's why you cannot create objects with BS
In here you can post your own objects when they don't work and you don't know why - everyone gets even his own thread to prevent 'butt ins'

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 2:17 PM
Found what the problem was; in the "text lists", "materials", the given name for the texture of the "lit" shade was missing its FR as the prefix of the texture name. Wacked on the FR, gave it a go in the game, and it worked fine Well, have to say cheers for all the help, Khaibit. The scenegrpher was also a very useful tool, thanks for letting me know
Instructor
#8 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 2:39 PM
Thanks for what? As I supposed you cloned a working lamp and recycled the Maxis stuff I didn't even think of checking the text lists So I have to thank you too, Ray Learned something while helping today - do not suppose but think *doh!*

Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved