Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 5:47 PM
Default errir when trying to import my object back into simpe
Hi. So i tried making my first object, i followed all of Jwoods tutorial and then got to the part where i had to import my object back into simpe. I got this error

and dont have a clue how to sort it out and was wondering if anyone could help me. thnx
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 5:50 PM
Did you make it in Wings? If I use WIngs I get messages like that and I have to load it into Milkshape and save it from there before importing it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 6:03 PM
no i used blender. i have used wings before and have the same message
#4 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 6:30 PM
Can you tell us *exactly* what stage you were at when that message popped up? Exactly which button you had just clicked?

That message sometimes comes up when you haven't really got a resource open, even though it is displayed on your screen! Sometimes you have to click on your resource again in the resource list (top right pane) to make sure SimPE has it open.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 6:45 PM
i had just over wrote the object i had orginally exported from SimPE in blender then tried to import it back into simpe.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 6:52 PM
It seems to me that both Blender and Wings export nonstandard .obj-files. Since I do not use those I cannot be certain of that, but I guess that there are hints in the tutorials dealing with that software.

Maybe the .obj-files first need to be converted to work.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 7:07 PM
so should i import then export from a different program like inge did?
Scholar
#8 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 7:20 PM
add a texture image to the obj any image will do before exporting back into simpe. if you dont add a texture 1st even if you've made a texture map SimPE wont accept it.
#9 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by waspkid
i had just over wrote the object i had orginally exported from SimPE in blender then tried to import it back into simpe.

That's not what I asked. I wanted to know what you had just clicked or pressed before that message popped up. Ie I don't want to know just what you tried to do, but how you tried to do it

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 8:11 PM
sry inge. When i tried to import it back into SimPE i clicked on the geometric data container, then the only "folder" ( i dont know what to call it) that was in the rescource list. Then with only the tabledining ticked i clicked the import button, found my .obj file and pressed open. hope this helps :D
#11 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 8:15 PM
That helps to differentiate what triggered the problem, it was important to know that cos you might have had a perfectly good mesh but for some reason SimPE had lost your GMDC. Though that still doesn't look like the typical "bad mesh" error. Hmm...

Well try it again, and this time click the "Details" link on the error box, and let's see what it says.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 8:57 PM
Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index SimPE Version:
Default (0.60.2.20832).

Exception Stack:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.GmdcImporterBase.BuildGroup(ImportedGroup g)
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.GmdcImporterBase.ProcessLists(ImportedGroups grps)
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.GmdcImporterBase.LoadGroups()
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.AbstractGmdcImporter.Process(Stream input, GeometryDataContainer gmdc, Boolean animationonly)
at SimPe.Plugin.fGeometryDataContainer.StartImport(OpenFileDialog ofd, GeometryDataContainer gmdc, String defext, ElementSorting sorting, Boolean animationonly)
at SimPe.Plugin.fGeometryDataContainer.button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Source:
mscorlib

Execution Stack:
at System.Collections.ArrayList.get_Item(Int32 index)
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.GmdcImporterBase.BuildGroup(ImportedGroup g)
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.GmdcImporterBase.ProcessLists(ImportedGroups grps)
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.GmdcImporterBase.LoadGroups()
at SimPe.Plugin.Gmdc.AbstractGmdcImporter.Process(Stream input, GeometryDataContainer gmdc, Boolean animationonly)
at SimPe.Plugin.fGeometryDataContainer.StartImport(OpenFileDialog ofd, GeometryDataContainer gmdc, String defext, ElementSorting sorting, Boolean animationonly)
at SimPe.Plugin.fGeometryDataContainer.button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

.NET Version:

this is exactly wat it says. sorry about the delay
Alchemist
#13 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 2:40 AM
I am not a blender user, but I see posts about this problem a bit recently.

In one of the recent updates, Blender made one of the lesser used options for the .OBJ format the default (it replaces the 'g' with a different letter).
Neither SimPE or MilkShape are happy with the exported file.

I have read there is a change in the export options to reverse this, but I can't remember what it is called. I'm pretty sure I read about it here, the MilkShape forums or on the SimPE site. I also think you can tweak it with notepad, too.

If I could remember where to find it, I'd post a link to the solution.

<* Wes *>
Scholar
#14 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 6:30 AM
trust me add a texture to it before importing i have had this problem many times.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 8:12 AM
waspkid,
index out of range is usually when you forget to check the 'normals' button on export

here are the import options I use

and these are the export options

they work fine for me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 4:53 PM
Right, cheers for all ya help everyone! ill try that now Lethe ill post if it works
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 5:17 PM
YEWH! nice one Lethe works just fine. Thanks again every1!