Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 11:53 AM
Siri_Io (and IgnorantBliss): In my game I can see both the new bed and the original Colonial bed... No problem at all. What Ignorantbliss says is true, but in Siri_io's bed the beddings are correctly linked. Siri_io, are you sure you haven't, in your downloads folder, an older copy of the same bed?

Pistachio: I'm still battling with your island; everything seems perfect now (after few modifications) but still it doesn't work. I think I'll re-clone it.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#52 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 11:56 AM
So, is there a reason not to clone the Colonial Ironwood bed? I've been told by a few people not to, but I never really asked why.

I really should have looked at the bed in game before making any guesses .
Fluffy
retired moderator
#53 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 12:35 PM
Siri-O, I too had a look at your bed and it works fine in my game
catalog entries and everything
what I did was update the mmat's in the object data, you might have forgotten that
only for the main guid (the first one) check 'update mmat's', then click the blue 'update' and commit
Fluffy
retired moderator
#54 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 12:36 PM
Kate, could I ask what you cloned it from?
cause it acts more like a counter than an island, in my game it needs to stand against a wall, for instance
Part-time Hermit
#55 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 12:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lethe_s
Kate, could I ask what you cloned it from?
cause it acts more like a counter than an island, in my game it needs to stand against a wall, for instance

Based on the file names and GUIDs, I think it was cloned from the catamaran kitchen island.

I can place it in the middle of a floor in my game just fine, hmm.
Fluffy
retired moderator
#56 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 1:02 PM
ack! I must be losing my mind with this object.
Keep it away from me! *runs*
#57 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 4:22 PM
IgnorantBliss, Numenor, and Lethe_S, thank you so much for looking at my object file.
I had originally cloned the Zenu Meditation Sleeper and I know I remembered to update the MMats. Since the object was showing up in your game, I figured that I must have something in my folders that you don’t. I didn’t have an older copy of the bed in my Downloads folder but I had mistakenly saved all the older copies in my Projects folder and they were overriding the new bed. At least, now I know never to make that mistake with objects again.
Thanks once more for your help.

Siri
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 8th Jan 2006 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
So, is there a reason not to clone the Colonial Ironwood bed? I've been told by a few people not to, but I never really asked why.

I really should have looked at the bed in game before making any guesses .

The reason is that the Colonial Double Bed holds (and share with the other beds) all the textures for the beddings. Therefore, if you clone the Colonial bed, without further modifications, you'll end with a bed that uses its own beddings, and this is not a good thing.

But if you are clever enough, you can clone the Colonial bed, give it a custom name, and set it to borrow the beddings from the original Maxis Colonial bed. Basically, it means some additional work that can be spared cloning any other bed but the Colonial... That's why we suggest not to clone the Colonial: just to make things easier; after all, there is no reason to clone specifically the Colonial: any other bed is better.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#59 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 2:31 AM
Hi, i' have a problem with my package , i add a subset in a bed package.

Example : - (A) bedding
- (A) bedding
- beddoublecolonial_opacityplane
- (A) bedding
- (B) frame
- (C) My Subset

Subset Color :
Subset A = Color of bedding
Subset B + My new subset C = Color of frame

"B" and "C" subset have the same TXTR (texture) but have a "different" TXMT (materiel definition) but when i make a recoloration, my subset "C" doesn't work whereas he use the "B" texture and I don't know Why :gonemad:

I would like that "C" is slave of "B" when i recolored my object
and the problem is precisely here...
Part-time Hermit
#60 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Afee
Hi, i' have a problem with my package , i add a subset in a bed package.

Example : - (A) bedding
- (A) bedding
- beddoublecolonial_opacityplane
- (A) bedding
- (B) frame
- (C) My Subset

Subset Color :
Subset A = Color of bedding
Subset B + My new subset C = Color of frame

"B" and "C" subset have the same TXTR (texture) but have a "different" TXMT (materiel definition) but when i make a recoloration, my subset "C" doesn't work whereas he use the "B" texture and I don't know Why :gonemad:

I would like that "C" is slave of "B" when i recolored my object
and the problem is precisely here...

Slave subsets are possible, although I'm not personally very familiar with adding them. Is there a specific reason you want the added subset to be separate from the frame part? Having them as one subset would make it simpler, but if they definitely need a different Material Definition, then a slave subset is probably needed. I can't find a tutorial on that, though. I know Numenor has done slave subsets before.
Test Subject
#61 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 6:26 PM
Thank you "IgnorantBliss" for your answer :salute: , I need a different Material definition for my new subset this is for this reason i look for a tutorial on a "Slave Subset" :nod: it will be very nice if i can find it.

Maybe my new subset need to be in a different GMND, GMDC and shape and must have the same name of the subset "B". Maybe... I don't know :banghead:
Part-time Hermit
#62 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 6:33 PM
I would like to learn that, too. Maybe looking at an existing object with a slave subset would help? I know Numenor's Hibernator has one. I will have to look into this.
Test Subject
#63 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 6:38 PM
i never see a package who got a slave subset, in other case thank your very much IgnorantBliss :salute:
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#64 Old 10th Jan 2006 at 9:15 PM Last edited by Numenor : 10th Jan 2006 at 9:22 PM.
My fault, sorry... I promised many times to post a tutorial about the slave subsets, but still I didn't.
Yes, my Hibernator contains a slave subsets; for a more complex object, look at the "Tulip Light" floor lamp (the inner part of the glass is slave of the outer part); also, the staircases make large use of the slave subsets.

To start with, please note that:

1) the slave subset and the "master" subset must be in the same GMND (and therefore, in the same GMDC)
2) the GMND contains a special block called tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets (note the final "s": I always mispell it )
3) this block contains a "String" in the form: "Name"= master subset; "String"=slave subset
4) it *is* possible to enslave multiple subsets to the same master: sinply, in the "String" you have to type all the slave subsets, separated by a comma (without any space in between).
5) the slave subset needs its own Material Override (but, oddly enough, this applies only for base-game objects: UNI and NL objects don't require any additional MMAT for the slave subsets).

If you have other questions, you're welcome to ask me.

Field Researcher
#65 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 12:53 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
I know this is exactly the same thisng you helped me with a while back, Ignorant Bliss and yet here it is again, sorry.
I've realized I want to be able to recolor the handles of an armoire I made.
In the GMDC the group is called "armoirequaint_drawerhandle" also in the shape.
But the material definition is called just "drawerhandle."
So I changed the name in the GMDC and the shape to "drawerhandle" and made a material override calling it "drawerhandle" and added "drawerhandle" to the tsDesignModeEnabled in the GNND.
But my recolor had no handles at all. I've been over everything several times and I don't know what's wrong.
Here's the object before I tried to make the handles re-colorable. I thought maybe someone could look at it and tell me just what I have to do have both groups re-colorable. Thanks.
Test Subject
#66 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 1:44 AM
Thank you so much Numenor for your help. :bow2:

I have added "tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets" in the GMND and added a string as

frame = (string) MyNewSubset

Now, when I make my color, SimPE collect all what i Need ( all material override, all material definition and all textures) but in the game my SlaveSubset stay still with the original Texture. I don't know what's wrong in my package.

However i follow all your steps. :tread:
Part-time Hermit
#67 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 5:15 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:46 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Quote: Originally posted by Mage
I know this is exactly the same thisng you helped me with a while back, Ignorant Bliss and yet here it is again, sorry.
I've realized I want to be able to recolor the handles of an armoire I made.
In the GMDC the group is called "armoirequaint_drawerhandle" also in the shape.
But the material definition is called just "drawerhandle."
So I changed the name in the GMDC and the shape to "drawerhandle" and made a material override calling it "drawerhandle" and added "drawerhandle" to the tsDesignModeEnabled in the GNND.
But my recolor had no handles at all. I've been over everything several times and I don't know what's wrong.
Here's the object before I tried to make the handles re-colorable. I thought maybe someone could look at it and tell me just what I have to do have both groups re-colorable. Thanks.

Mage, I did everything you said you'd done (except for adding a separate drawerhandle entry in GMND because that seems to be unnecessary, I only added the tsDesignModeEnabled one), and it seems to have worked. Maybe you missed some small detail by accident? Did you remember to make all those changes to the MMAT that are mentioned in the subset adding tutorial? Anyway, here's the color-enabled version for you in case you want to take a look .

By the way, it seems like you have pulled animations when cloning the armoire. That's unnecessary for clones like these where we're not editing the actual animations, we're only retaining existing ones.
Field Researcher
#68 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 2:35 PM
Mage, I did everything you said you'd done (except for adding a separate drawerhandle entry in GMND because that seems to be unnecessary, I only added the tsDesignModeEnabled one), and it seems to have worked. Maybe you missed some small detail by accident? Did you remember to make all those changes to the MMAT that are mentioned in the subset adding tutorial? Anyway, here's the color-enabled version for you in case you want to take a look .

Bless you. I just did the whole thing over and got it to work too. You're exactly right, I think what I kept forgetting somehow was to change the name in the cloned material override. I think I was just changing the subset name. (rolling my eyes at myself) The only thing I was doing with the GMND was adding drawerhandle to the tsDesignModeEnabled.

By the way, it seems like you have pulled animations when cloning the armoire. That's unnecessary for clones like these where we're not editing the actual animations, we're only retaining existing ones.

All this time I thought it was neccessary to retain the existing ones. So that's good information for me. Once again thanks so much for helping me to enjoy creating.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 4:23 PM
Thank you so much Numenor for your help. :bow2:

I have added "tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets" in the GMND and added a string as

frame = (string) MyNewSubset

Now, when I make my color, SimPE collect all what i Need ( all material override, all material definition and all textures) but in the game my SlaveSubset stay still with the original Texture. I don't know what's wrong in my package.

However i follow all your steps. :tread:

What object have you cloned? A base-game one? I ask because in some cases a new MMAT (Material Override) is needed. Do this (in any case it won't hurt...):
1) Open your package, right-click on the MMAT for the "master" subset and choose "clone";
2) from the "Resource tab, on the bottom of the screen, change the Instance number of the cloned MMAT (all the MMATs need a unique Instance number within the package: just choose an unused one);
3) Back to Plugin tab, select the cloned tab and edit the "subsetName" field: fill in the name of the slave subset;
4) edit also the "materialName" field: fill in the name of the Material definition related to the slave subset (keep the ##0x1c050000! prefix).

Another thing: be sure that the subset names (both the master and the slave) *don't* contain any underscore.

If you can't fix it, post here your package.

Test Subject
#70 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 11:58 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Hi Numenor, i followed your steps and i have added a Materiel override for my slave subset but it don't work.

I attached my package if you want, i have cloned ---The Soma "Sleep Well"---, The subset "frame" is the master and the subset "cube" is the slave.

Infinitely thank you for your help
Part-time Hermit
#71 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 5:40 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Afee, I think I fixed the problem, but I'm not 100% sure. There were a couple of problems:

- The new MMAT needed a new hash number different from the cloned one in the "family" field
- You had not added an extra line into the cObjectGraphNode when adding the GMND entry for the tsDesignModeSlaveSubsets. I added it.
- But what I needed to do before it worked was to fix some file names. I changed the texture and TXMT names according to the general recommendations, including adding the texture name for the cube ("2") also into its TXMT name.

Now the slave subset appears when I create a recolor package, but I'm in too much hurry to test this throughly before I have to leave for work. I will take a look at it again later today if it's still not right. I noticed the cube MMAT is not included in the recolor package. Never having worked with slave subsets before, I don't know if it's supposed to or not.

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I forgot to update the TXMT names in the MMAT and Shape. Here is a fixed version which should work now. The recolors of both the main and slave subsets seem work now.
Test Subject
#72 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 3:03 PM
Waaaaaouuuuuuuu !!!!!! :banana: it work !!! it work very well !!!!!!!

I understand where was my error. I have tried all the steps but it didn't work because the name of the TXMT and TXTR were wrong. It must have the same name of the Master subster after the underscore.

Thank you so much "IgnorentBliss" and "Numenor" for your help, you have changed my life lol I'm soooooo happy

I have tried on other packages and they work very well. :laugh:
Part-time Hermit
#73 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 3:06 PM
Waaaaaouuuuuuuu !!!!!! :banana: it work !!! it work very well !!!!!!!

I understand where was my error. I have tried all the steps but it didn't work because the name of the TXMT and TXTR were wrong. It must have the same name of the Master subster after the underscore.

Thank you so much "IgnorentBliss" and "Numenor" for your help, you have changed my life lol I'm soooooo happy

I have tried on other packages and they work very well. :laugh:

Just making sure, did you get the updated version I uploaded about half an hour ago to the same post? I noticed there were a couple of things to fix about the first one I posted now that I actually had time to test it in the game.
Test Subject
#74 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 3:13 PM
No, because i had seen what you had forgotten and i had fixed them. That's great. Thanks Thanks Thanks
Field Researcher
#75 Old 13th Jan 2006 at 4:20 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 17th Feb 2006 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Removed old attachment
Honestly, if I didn't know you guys were here I'd be tearing my hair out. Today I'm trying to make a diagonal window. I have tried to be very careful going through Numenor's tutorial three times. But whatever I'm doing wrong I keep doing it because I keep geetting the same result. The diagonal window has the new window's texture but the old window's shape. And I notice when I grab it it has the old window's name too.
Thanks if you have time to take a look.
Locked thread
Page 3 of 60