Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 6:22 PM Last edited by prince_medion : 8th Dec 2008 at 10:52 AM.
Default Need help with importing .obj
Hello, I tried importing my 3d model from blender 0.48 into SimPE but I always get an "index out of range". With a bit of research, it turns out its something to do with the uv map, and that uv mapper classic can fix it. I tried that method but still doesnt seem to work. I upload both .blend and .obj files.

thanks for your support.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  pine.rar (305.5 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content

+Prince Medion+
Advertisement
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 6:31 PM
Hi
I had this problem too - if you export an item then open it in UV mapper or milkshape and export it again from UV mapper or MS then SimPE should pick it up ok when you import back in. This is relvant to the.obj, I know nothing about the blender files.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 8:13 PM
Well, as I said...I did a bit of research, and as it was suggested, I did open the .obj in uv mapper, agree to fix it, then saved it but it still says the same error in SimPE

+Prince Medion+
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Dec 2008 at 8:28 PM
Hi I only use milkshape for this - maybe it is because in milkshape you export and uv you save? I know it is connected to plus and min values and that SimPE exports in one format but imports in another - there is info on the SimPE site I think see link

http://sims.ambertation.de/en/kb/entry/2/

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 11:04 AM
I read that and countless other topics before posting, and I did try to repair it with uv mapper as suggested, but it doesnt seem to fix it in my case...by the way the 3d model was'nt made by me but was extraxted from another game, I just tweaked it a bit as position and rotation on the axis were a bit off. I'm only slowly learning how to use blender.

+Prince Medion+
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 11:36 AM Last edited by -Maylin- : 2nd Dec 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Which version of Blender have you installed? 2.48a?

Sorry I can't take requests anymore!
And I will probably never convert my creations for TS2 to TS3.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:03 PM
Yeah I use the latest release, I now use Smd scripts though. Importing works but I'm still hzving trouble getting the map for texturing...and the item is invisible in game, not even a blue shape.

+Prince Medion+
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:27 PM Last edited by -Maylin- : 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:40 PM.
Okay ,so first in Blender, select your mesh in Edit Mode and click on "vertices" and "remove doubles". Now delete all the Materials you have linked to your object (I have found 16 Mat in your obj.blend! )
Then,try to export your .obj with these parameters:

This should work for exporting in ".obj".

Do you use Blender for uv mapping?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 11:42 PM
No I tried using uv mapper classic but I really don't understand it....I don't really know blender much, I try feedling around though. This model was imported from Zoo tycoon 2, though it was a nif (gamebryo) and had to convert it into obj and tweak the positioning as they work differently in zoo tycoon 2 and sims 2. What look vertical and going up the Y axis in zoo tycoon, actually look like lying down along the x axis once imported in blender....and then for it to look vertical in sims 2 i had to rotate to go vertical but negative y...I know sounds confusing but it's hard to explain.

+Prince Medion+
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 6:48 AM
Your UV map doesn't fit your image:

You need to redone it entirely.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 9:56 AM
Yeah i know, this texture aint the final one though, and I'm having trouble getting the uv right, though im trying to follow jwoods & lethe's tutorial.

+Prince Medion+
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:04 PM
Ok I've been folowing the turorial a bit more closely and your directions, the obj imports fine and i've been able to create a uv_map were the trunk and the foliage of the tree are separate (huray!). However I imported in the texture (folowing the plan of the uv) in Simpe, and when i click preview in the geometric data, it still doesnt pick up the mapping...I'm attaching the updated version of the files.

Btw I know the texture look a bit rough but it's a temporary one just for testing before i improve it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  new mesh.rar (645.6 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content

+Prince Medion+
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#13 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 1:47 PM
When importing your object in SimPE, you have change the name in GMDC.
You must keep the original Maxis name. In this case, you rename it "SimPEGlobal" instead of "treebonsaivariation_surface"(which is the original maxis one).

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 4:39 PM
Ah lol thought this SimPE global thing looked funny...but I didn't mean to rename it like that. Guess ill remake a new package.

+Prince Medion+
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#15 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 5:11 PM
Sometimes this SimPEGlobal name is given by default when importing an object. You have to scroll against the Action box by clicking on the small arrow to find the good choice that is "replace" for just replacing the maxis object:

Why don't you try to rename it instead of re-creating it?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 7:23 PM Last edited by prince_medion : 3rd Dec 2008 at 7:28 PM.
Thank you maylin! I've done it, its still incomplete though! as i need to give it a guid and do all the other coding stuff. But one more problem, the placement grid is 4 tiles but the tree isnt situated in the middle but more like on the upper right tile. Know how to fix that?
Screenshots

+Prince Medion+
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#17 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 8:54 PM Last edited by -Maylin- : 3rd Dec 2008 at 9:02 PM.
You just have to move the mesh on the Grid in Blender and test it in game. After several attempts you should get it!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 10:50 AM
Thank you loads Maylin! I'm getting more used to importing meshes now! I'm still working on it has I was'nt satisfied with the previous versions though!

+Prince Medion+