Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 2:38 PM Last edited by rosaline_10 : 26th Oct 2007 at 9:46 AM. Reason: adding package
cant get texture to change on lamp
I have cloned a floor lamp, and I have made changes to the stand and the lamp shade parts.
now the mesh works perfect, but the problem I am having is that when I go in to the game to look at my new lamp mesh, it still only shows the texture of the original lamp shade. yet the texture of the stand has changed and appears fine.
Now I have gone in to the package and made sure everything was ok with the txtr files, and everything seems fine, my new pattern for my texture is clearly showing up in the txtr files and also when I click the preview in the GMDC it shows the texture fine on the lamp shade.
after alot of thinking , I though I could be smart and do a recolour of my mesh and change the texture that way, but still even the recolours are coming up as the original texture for the lamp shade.
I also checked to make sure my PNG files of the textures I exported had not been over written, and they are all fine.
i have also tried making the image texture file bigger, but still no change, what is going on?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  floorlightingbyros.rar (80.3 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 3:00 PM
It would be a good idea to upload your lamp here so someone can take a look at it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 9:47 AM
ok I have uploaded, it, I bet someone will make changes to it and it will work fine
Instructor
#4 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 10:28 AM
OK, I think I fixed it. You can either just download this one and have it overwrite yours or you can go into your file and do the fix.

1. Go into text lists and look under the Material Names text file. You will see where the beige shade is still being referenced, so
2. Just change the beige to pink in both the lit and unlit lines. See pic.
3. Save file.

I have no idea why it didn't change in the text file, but...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  floorlightingbyros.rar (80.6 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 11:05 AM
thanks Paleoanth, but it still won't show my texture, now it just shows the default pink shade instead of the default beige one, Im so confused!
thanks anyway for spending the time to try and help, its much appericiated
Instructor
#6 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 11:19 AM
Really? It worked fine in my game. Let me check again.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 11:21 AM
Yep really,i downloaded yours and I also tried altering mine and it does not show my texture, which is brown with black flowers print, it just shows the pink default texture which is pink with yellow daisys on it, this is not my texture.
Instructor
#8 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 11:45 AM Last edited by Paleoanth : 26th Oct 2007 at 12:18 PM.
OK. It has reverted in my game too. YIKES! I am still staring at it. Hold on.

ETA: Well, I have managed to break it completely! I am going to have to do some reading. It might take a while. Maybe someone else can look at this too.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 12:24 PM
thanks so much for doing this, I have been looking at it over and over again myself, but I just don't get it, this has never happen to any of my mesh's before and I have made alot more complicated meshes then this.
I never though making a simple floor light would be so complicated, I have made other lights before with no problems.
sooooo strange
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 12:41 PM
Rosaline, some of the way material changes behave changed slightly between EPs, as I found out when I was trying to update my open-close curtains and kept being surprised by reversions. It might be worth ascertaining at this time whether you actually have installed all the EPs you have listed in your profile, and they're not sitting on your desk waiting to be installed

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 12:52 PM
yep everything is installed,thanks for pointing that out though, that was probably the last thing I would think of checking, Im thinking prehaps bon voyage is causing all these problems?
prehaps SimPE is having issues with BV
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 1:35 PM
ok, well this is strange, I just cloned a different style of floor lamp, once in Milkshape I just merged my old file in to the new, imported to simpe, did all the normal importing and exporting of the texture files, and wella, it works a charm, so I dont know why my textures show up ok with this package instead of the other one, prehaps the first one you can't change the shade colour

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/...ine_10/lamp.jpg
Instructor
#13 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 11:12 PM
Oh good! Because that is what I was going to do next, just start from scratch. I am glad you got it to work and no, I have no idea what the problem was before either.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 12:19 AM
also another strange thing was I tried starting from scratch 3 times cloning that same floor lamp, but not once did it work, same problem every time, but as soon as I cloned a different style of lamp all together, it worked perfect, very very odd
The ModFather
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 9:43 AM
Rosaline, the only thing I could notice in your package is the same that pointed out Paleoanth: in the "Material Names" text list there are wrong references to your custom material; but the solution proposed by Paleoanth is not correct: in the Text List you must put the name of the default custom materials for your clone, along with the "Forced Relocation" prefix, i.e. :
##0x1C050000!floorlightingbyros_shade_pink_lit
##0x1C050000!floorlightingbyros_shade_pink_unlit

In other words, in the text list you must put (manually, because in some cases SimPE doesn't do this) the exact name that you can find in the MMAT, in the field "name".
I can't try myself right now, but I think it should work.

Also, when you clone a lamp, be sure to have checked the cloning option "Pull STR#-linked resources"; this option should be checked for any multi-state object (lit/unlit, clean/dirty)

PS: if you clone a lamp that is slave to another lamp, you may have some problems of this kind; be sure to clone autonomous lamps (the list of the slave objects is contained in the CEP documention).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Instructor
#16 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Rosaline, the only thing I could notice in your package is the same that pointed out Paleoanth: in the "Material Names" text list there are wrong references to your custom material; but the solution proposed by Paleoanth is not correct: in the Text List you must put the name of the default custom materials for your clone, along with the "Forced Relocation" prefix, i.e. :
##0x1C050000!floorlightingbyros_shade_pink_lit
##0x1C050000!floorlightingbyros_shade_pink_unlit

Well, that would explain it! Darn it. Thanks.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Oct 2007 at 2:58 PM
I am sure that I had checked "pull str"
considering I rebuilt the package 3 times and went over a "object creation" tutorial on the third attempt just to make sure I did not miss anything.
thanks heaps for the reply, and thanks heaps to Paleanth for helping me out