Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 1:59 AM Last edited by MidnightRoses888 : 2nd Feb 2020 at 2:10 AM. Reason: Wanted to tidy it up and correct a mistake.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default I've been blocked from using the Bodyshop and the Package Installer! Help!
I have the Super Collection installed from The App Store. I bought it 2016. I remove the game sometimes if I'm playing equally big games to clear some space in hope that the other game doesn't crash. I bought Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem and it crashed. So I thought what if the Sims 2 is the problem? I uninstalled it. Same problem. So I reinstalled the Sims 2 and uninstalled Midnight in Salem. I downloaded the body shop and package installer but noticed immediately that they had a block sign on both of them. I tried going into body shop and it said "You have OS X 10.11.6. The application requires OS X 10.12.6 or later." I shouldn't have removed it! A day or two ago I was using a compatible version of Body Shop and Package Installer. Where did this update come from suddenly? It's a bit of shock. Oh yeah, when the full game was installing, it asked me if I would prefer using the old compatible version instead of the updated version which might not be compatible with my computer. I clicked ok. It's not fair that I didn't get the same message for Body Shop and Extras. They should have done that.

The other thing is the Stuffit Expander. I downloaded the newest version (from the app store) because the some reason the good old version (downloaded from the internet, maybe) wasn't always working for me. After installing it, I downloaded some custom content from here and copy and pasted them into my Sims 2 Downloads file. When I came to open a few - for hair, it opened the folders but not to the right place. It keeps opening up a second window and placing it in my normal documents folder. That has never happened before! Before it placed all opened zip or rar files in my Sims 2 downloads folder in the now seeable hidden library Sims 2 folder.

I tried unpackaging a custom made sim with the Stuffit Expander, didn't work. I can't play custom made sims in my game anymore! I was really looking forward to downloading my favourite Star Wars characters again - specifically made by this wonderful creator: http://www.modthesims.info/m/208447 and this wonderful creator who made Mission Vao: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=187769

Any advice or help?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 2:53 AM
It might be because of the 64-bit update that requires macOS Sierra, since the game might no longer be compatible for older systems. Where did you download BodyShop and Package Installer from?
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MidnightRoses888
I have the Super Collection installed from The App Store. I bought it 2016. I remove the game sometimes if I'm playing equally big games to clear some space in hope that the other game doesn't crash. I bought Nancy Drew: Midnight in Salem and it crashed. So I thought what if the Sims 2 is the problem? I uninstalled it. Same problem. So I reinstalled the Sims 2 and uninstalled Midnight in Salem. I downloaded the body shop and package installer but noticed immediately that they had a block sign on both of them. I tried going into body shop and it said "You have OS X 10.11.6. The application requires OS X 10.12.6 or later." I shouldn't have removed it! A day or two ago I was using a compatible version of Body Shop and Package Installer. Where did this update come from suddenly? It's a bit of shock. Oh yeah, when the full game was installing, it asked me if I would prefer using the old compatible version instead of the updated version which might not be compatible with my computer. I clicked ok. It's not fair that I didn't get the same message for Body Shop and Extras. They should have done that.

The other thing is the Stuffit Expander. I downloaded the newest version (from the app store) because the some reason the good old version (downloaded from the internet, maybe) wasn't always working for me. After installing it, I downloaded some custom content from here and copy and pasted them into my Sims 2 Downloads file. When I came to open a few - for hair, it opened the folders but not to the right place. It keeps opening up a second window and placing it in my normal documents folder. That has never happened before! Before it placed all opened zip or rar files in my Sims 2 downloads folder in the now seeable hidden library Sims 2 folder.

I tried unpackaging a custom made sim with the Stuffit Expander, didn't work. I can't play custom made sims in my game anymore! I was really looking forward to downloading my favourite Star Wars characters again - specifically made by this wonderful creator: http://www.modthesims.info/m/208447 and this wonderful creator who made Mission Vao: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=187769

Any advice or help?

I would not use Stuffit Expander myself, instead I use The Unarchiver {3.11.1 it is still available I am sure, use this one if you have any problems with the current 4.1.0}, https://theunarchiver.com The program is free and works for all of the various formats I come across in downloading content for the Sims 2.

As for Body Shop and The Package Installer Aspyr may have the older versions still available, ask their support people. Or simply upgrade your OS to Catalina and use the 64 bit versions.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
It might be because of the 64-bit update that requires macOS Sierra, since the game might no longer be compatible for older systems. Where did you download BodyShop and Package Installer from?

I downloaded them from Aspyr, after clicking on "download now for the extras" on the Sims 2 game launcher window.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Feb 2020 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
I would not use Stuffit Expander myself, instead I use The Unarchiver {3.11.1 it is still available I am sure, use this one if you have any problems with the current 4.1.0}, https://theunarchiver.com The program is free and works for all of the various formats I come across in downloading content for the Sims 2.

As for Body Shop and The Package Installer Aspyr may have the older versions still available, ask their support people. Or simply upgrade your OS to Catalina and use the 64 bit versions.

I've just downloaded theunarchiver and yay! It opens the files in the same folder, you've got open! Thank you that was helpful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2020 at 11:11 PM
I just wanted to update. The unarchiver opens hair, skin, clothes, eyes, faces and make-up.

It doesn't open sim people, houses, dorms or community lots. You know, the white icon that is shaped like a page of paper with a blue box in the middle and what looks to be a star above it. That is what the package files for people and houses look like after downloading them from custom content websites into Downloads.

Yeah that part of downloading/opening needs the body shop and the package installer.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 4th Feb 2020 at 7:04 AM
I just wanted to update. The unarchiver opens hair, skin, clothes, eyes, faces and make-up.

It doesn't open sim people, houses, dorms or community lots. You know, the white icon that is shaped like a page of paper with a blue box in the middle and what looks to be a star above it. That is what the package files for people and houses look like after downloading them from custom content websites into Downloads.

Yeah that part of downloading/opening needs the body shop and the package installer.

You will need to contact Aspyr and ask them if they have an old 32 bit Body Shop and an old 32 bit Package Installer that you can download if you want them. I don't know if they will offer them, if not that basically means that you might have to upgrade to Catalina if you want those apps to work.

Besides it is important to note that most of the Sims out there will not work on your Mac as they were created using a game with FT and or AL and in those cases the Sim will not be compatiable.

Houses, Dorms and Community Lots can be a problem if they have content that is not supported on your Mac.

Me I don't bother trying to find Sims that are compatiable and in 9 years I have downloaded one lot that worked and one lot that does not work. I usually don't don't download lots. Instead I create my own lots, houses dorms and community lots.

I have used Body shop once to create some Alien Sims that I like personally so that I can have Aliens as a default to create a sim off of, but otherwise I never use Body Shop, pain to get working for one thing.

There is MacUnpac that can do some of the same things that the Package Installer does, but it does not always work. It requires that you have Java, which you most likely have to install yourself. I installed Java and MacUnpac works sort of.

Is there a reason you can't upgrade to Catalina?

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 6th Feb 2020 at 11:33 AM
Another thought: do you have Time Machine backups set up? I had an issue with the updated 64 bit version of the game, so have temporarily rolled back to the previous version by deleting the app and restoring it from Time Machine. You could try the same with Bodyshop/Package Installer.
Test Subject
#9 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 2:28 PM
I have the same problem and found this thread searching for a solution!!! I already contacted Aspyr support to see if they can send me a link to an older version.... Not everyone is updating to the newer OSX they should at least let us have access to download the older versions for our older operating systems!!! My macbook is from 2008 I was done updating the systems at Mavericks! lol

I also want to install some sims2pack lots because they include a lot of cool CC that you can't download from these websites that have since closed!!! Does anyone know a way to open the sims2pack lot files and just take out the CC objects? I know we don't have apartment life and the other ones but I was hoping to at least be able to extract the CC objects that are compatible with our games or remove the objects that are not compatible and still use the lots.

Thanks for any help!!
Test Subject
#10 Old 24th Nov 2021 at 5:06 PM
I downloaded the body shop and package installer but noticed immediately that they had a block sign on both of them. I tried going into body shop and it said "You have OS X 10.11.6. The application requires OS X 10.12.6 or later." I shouldn't have removed it! A day or two ago I was using a compatible version of Body Shop and Package Installer.

Hi there, first time posting here. I know this post is kinda old, but I'm having a problem with Body Shop/Package Installer - I'm currently running OS X 10.11.6, so they won't work. Do you possibly have a link to the compatible version you were using?