Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 1:39 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Random Files Appeared in Downloads Folder
I just launched the Sims 2 Super Collection on my Mac for the first time today and have already installed some custom content. When I just closed the game recently I noticed several files created (see attached image) in my Downloads folder at the exact time I started the game for either the 2nd or 3rd time (after adding some more custom content). The last files I added to the Downloads folder were at 18:24 as shown by the timestamp in the image.

Is it safe to remove/delete those files? Has anybody else encountered this issue?
Screenshots

Call me Seth!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 2:02 AM
Those are just how CC that's included in sims2packs gets installed in your game, I think the Clean Installer may prevent them from having these meaningless names but if you're on a Mac you obviously don't get that. You can delete it if you want, but it will mean that whatever sims or lots they came with won't have those items anymore.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 2:19 AM
Those are randomly generated filenames, yes - usually named so by the default installer/packager. It's a bit unclear why it does this to some files and not to others. Sometimes these files are renamed recolors, meshes or other things like that, but very often they can also be mailbox and trashcan recolors, and those spread like wildfire if you later upload lots (they latch on to lot files - usually every single one you have installed in your game, and they're a pain to go through and delete, because you usually have to do it one by one.

I don't know if SimPE works well with Macs, but if it does, you can open up these files and filter them out. They're somewhat recognizable by either name or texture.

If you want to keep them, put them in a separate folder you can remove if you ever decide to upload lots, or just package them up for yourself. It's really annoying having to delete those files (there's been times where I've had to remove 50-100 or more from a single lot - kinda makes one reconsider downloading CC-heavy lots, I guess...)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 31st Dec 2020 at 2:29 AM
Thanks both!! I never figured that as I did install some packages using the TS2 installer. There is a way to run SimPE on Mac, it's a bit of a tedious process. I've never run it but I may actually get to it this time as I would like to avoid corrupting my hoods at all costs.

Call me Seth!