Replies: 890 (Who?), Viewed: 247499 times.
Page 4 of 36
#76 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 3:10 AM
Hi, this is Lyall from MATY with the pictures I promised. Sorry if the pictures are blurry, the game's camera hates me.

This is Meena the starter Sim:



Not a very nice Sim, isn't she? She's a grouchy Fortune Sim (and an adult, not a Teen). Heh, this was when I first started playing the lot, there was nothing there except her, so she started scowling.
If anyone thinks she's funny looking it's 'cause her father's Pao Mellon (Yes, that Pao Mellon XD ). She's a backup of a Legacy kid I had before my game got messed up.

She got a job in the business career (no charisma skill points + ignoring of chance cards = no promotions) then autonomously entertained herself with a paper airplane:





The welcome wagon came and it consisted of Goopy GilsCarbo, Christy Stratton, and Niklas Legacy, her twin brother in her past life. (Speaking of which, would it be okay if I made them siblings again in SimPE. They wouldn't benefit from it, they'd just have family markers. And if one them were to die, I'd make sure that no inheritance would reach them.) :



Her needs were getting low, so she used the phone to go to a community lot.



And at this point I had to stop playing because I had a problem with the community lot. More pics: eventually.

Why do I get the feeling this post was too long? ^^''
#77 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 9:12 AM
I'm joining in!

Meet Peggy Poorly.



She's messy but very active, and dreams of getting married and starting a family of her own.



A trio of residents came over to welcome Peggy to the neighborhood. She got to talking with a lady by the last name of Broke, and she gave Peggy some pointers on how to live on a budget.



Peggy checked the paper and found herself a job as a Security Guard. it was a night job, but with only $100 to her name, the pay seemed worth it. The only problem with her new job was scheduling - her first day being "employed" was also her first day off! Peggy made her way to a local restaurant and did some bartending to earn a bit of cash, and before heading home exhausted, she washed her hands in the restroom until she felt slightly cleaner.



By the time Peggy got home, the grass looked quite comfy and she promptly fell over and had a nap. Peggy felt as if she had hardly slept when a terrible feeling woke her.

"I'm not so sure about Brandi's trash can dinners..."



Peggy, using up all the cash she had made at the bar, bought herself a sink and a chair. She was too proud to have sponge baths, but anyone watching her wash her hands over and over must have thought she had a disorder! However, she was too sick to care.



Even though she had been sitting for hours and playing with her newspaper airplane, she was still in a terrible mood. She felt so alone!



The paper delivery boy walked by and she tried to chat with him, but getting up was a BIG mistake.



More to come later, if anyone is interested. :bandit:
#78 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 9:16 AM
What the **** is that blue stuff lol?

Edit* That is not a swear word up there! I can see why its banned, i do understand but just letting everyone know it's not the F word or something :P
DELETED POST
17th Dec 2005 at 4:00 PM
This message has been deleted by Emi. Reason: moved to stories
Instructor
Original Poster
#79 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 4:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicler
(Speaking of which, would it be okay if I made them siblings again in SimPE. They wouldn't benefit from it, they'd just have family markers. And if one them were to die, I'd make sure that no inheritance would reach them.)


Hi Lyall! Good to see you!

Yeah, go ahead and make them siblings- if they got romantically involved it would probably be gross, I don't know how you'd prevent the inheritance thing, but if you know of a proper way to do it, go right ahead.

Simgirl 88, I like the crappy little house- reminds me of my first poverty family (although I hadn't developed the rules much yet so it doesn't really have a score), you can see a pic in my second post- watch out though, there's a spongebath in progress

plasticbox: no, I didn't mean the dating gift thing, I mean that I think there are really a lot of advantages in uni and NL that aren't available with the basic game, and I am hoping to devise a general handicap for those players instead of having to create a new rule for each little thing... probably won't work, the only thing I have thought of so far involves sacrificing a first born child to will wright, which is a dumb idea because it doesn't fit with the spirit of this challenge (I want it to be hard, but not openly sadistic)...

Maybe I can incorporate the NL dating gift thing into an "unemployment bonus" in any case, so that you can keep the tv set, etc, as long as you never get a job...
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator DELETED POST
17th Dec 2005 at 4:42 PM
This message has been deleted by plasticbox. Reason: Moved to Stories
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#80 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 5:05 PM
(Moved to Stories, see this thread)

In reference to this picture:
The abstract painting in the background is a snapshot taken inside the fridge -- a great source for "Still Life" paintings if you're into Constructivism =). Fits quite well for a dining room, too.
Instructor
Original Poster
#81 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 5:20 PM
That's a good idea about the still life painting with the fridge... I often have them paint the money trees or the elixer of life, i feel like it is an interesting statement... but not with THIS family
#82 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 5:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
Hi Lyall! Good to see you!

Yeah, go ahead and make them siblings- if they got romantically involved it would probably be gross, I don't know how you'd prevent the inheritance thing, but if you know of a proper way to do it, go right ahead.


*waves* Thank you. I was already freaking out because he has one of her turn ons and is a Romance Sim. Heh..

Actually, it's not really preventing the inheritance, I don't know of any way to do that. What I was planning on doing if that happened was using Pescado's money order (Was that the name of the hack?) or SimPE to get rid of any money they may get from that. That or unlinking them before death. Or... eh, I'll think of something. :err:

Anyway, more pictures!

Like I said, I had a problem with going to the community lot. It was fixed but Meena had to call the taxi again so she could go. While waiting I, for the first time, had a Sim be really hungry:



When she got to the community lot (which I built especially for this challenge), the first thing she did was grill hot dogs:



She then used the toilet and had a shower in the specially designed toilet house:



She went back and in the course of two Simdays, passed out a lot. One of the times was right after coming home from work:



And at one point, the Social Bunny came:



Thankfully, she was soon able to afford a couch to take naps in:



A sort of creepy picture of her napping. She was asleep and just stayed like that until I chose the wake up action:



And when I last left Meena, she'd just been able to afford the cheapest bed (the §300 one, I think) :

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator DELETED POST
17th Dec 2005 at 5:32 PM
This message has been deleted by plasticbox. Reason: Moved to Stories
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#83 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 5:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
That's a good idea about the still life painting with the fridge...

Close-ups of the bookcases look good as well! Particularly if you've set textures to Medium or Low =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
I often have them paint the money trees or the elixer of life, i feel like it is an interesting statement... but not with THIS family

Oh why not =)? The first couple of times Stan was chatting up someone (before meeting Katy), he was talking about money *all* the time. I thought that seemed quite logical ... since he doesn't have any. But you probably mean, since they aren't allowed to use the rewards they can't paint them either -- although I'd think if it's just in order to take a snapshot why shouldn't they be allowed to have a money tree for five seconds. What do you think? I would actually like a money tree painting in my house, now that you say it =)

Chronicler, in your 4th pic it actually looks like she'd *wanted* to pass out =). Getting the aspiration points, I mean.
Instructor
Original Poster
#84 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 5:47 PM
kristin. i hope your sim doesn't die, that blue stuff looks crazy

plastic: i dunno, it is a slippery slope... temptation is great... although technically it doesn't matter, it annoys me... maybe you can use a cheat and let them paint it at someone else's house... or paint the begging jar instead, I think that would be neat too... nnnn, i am hungry and cranky. Thanks for the building tips.

my sims always pass out after work, it is part of their routine
DELETED POST
17th Dec 2005 at 6:34 PM
This message has been deleted by Emi. Reason: moved to stories
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#85 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 6:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
[money tree painting] temptation is great... although technically it doesn't matter, it annoys me...

Nooo, I don't want to annoy you =) -- I'll just have them paint something else then. Unpaid bills or something like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
I think there are really a lot of advantages in uni and NL that aren't available with the basic game

Maybe there could be 4 winners at the end? One in the "original only" liga, one in the "Uni only", one in the "NL only", and one in "Uni+NL"? Like in boxing you know ... where they have middleweight and featherweight and so on.
#86 Old 17th Dec 2005 at 6:59 PM
That's a great idea!
#87 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 2:21 AM
If we make sure that we only have 100$ left, why couldn't we start out on a smaller lot. I imagine it would add an interesting element to, say, try to endure life on the smallest lot. Would that be allowed?
#88 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 2:54 AM
yeah that's interesting and confusing at the same time
#89 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 4:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
kristin. i hope your sim doesn't die, that blue stuff looks crazy


Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoLovesCyclops
What the **** is that blue stuff lol?


Haven't you ever seen sim puke before?
Instructor
Original Poster
#90 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 4:22 AM
right, but I thought it was green!
#91 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 8:22 AM
Yeah that looks like weird smokey stuff lol my sims puke in the toilet and theirs is blue rain haha
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator DELETED POST
18th Dec 2005 at 8:02 PM
This message has been deleted by plasticbox. Reason: Moved to Stories
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator DELETED POST
18th Dec 2005 at 9:06 PM
This message has been deleted by plasticbox. Reason: Moved to Stories
Instructor
Original Poster
#92 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 9:09 PM
The only reason for the large lot is that I originally thought that was the best way to reduce the amount of money they have to the required level, and to allow you to continue this as the legacy challenge later on. Keep in mind that if you start with a smaller lot than everyone else, you will also be starting with a lower net worth (after reducing to $100), because you will get less credit for the value of the land.

Perhaps I will make the small lot part of a combined "ghetto superstar" bonus challenge, in which you not only live on the smallest lot, but all the sims must be permanently unemployed, and there is no limit to the number of sims on the lot but a penalty for each that moves out. With this flavor of the challenge, you would also be allowed to use/sell the dating rewards, so that we could all play the "dream date whore" game, where you only make money from gifts, etc. What do you guys think? I felt like the small 3x1 lot might not be hard enough in itself as a bonus challenge, and this could make it more interesting.

As for the heavy/ middle weight thing, I guess that could be the way to go when posting scores, although I am not inclined to reverse any of the previous balancing rules we are using already. I don't forsee an "end" to this challenge, because it is not that kind of contest- just a continuous posting of the high scores. So when you finish the challenge, post the expansion packs you have along with the expansion packs you used. I'll keep a short list of "current champions," once people start to complete it. We are still relying on the honor system.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#93 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
["ghetto superstar" bonus challenge] ... where you only make money from gifts, etc. What do you guys think? I felt like the small 3x1 lot might not be hard enough in itself as a bonus challenge, and this could make it more interesting.

I agree -- a small lot isn't a handicap in itself (I'm always wondering what on earth people are doing with those 5x6 football fields anyway). But I'd love to see a 3x1-lot-no-work-no-kaching survival challenge! Or any other kind of small "bonus challenge", actually.

I like the minimalist approach of this -- start at the absolute bottomline (say, start out a sim with 1000§ -- put him on a 3x1 lot (that's 900§ right?), with nothing but a phone and a sidetable), and see what you can do with it. It wouldn't even have to be about money, for my taste -- it could be "create a random CAS sim (no cheating), and try to fulfill his/her/its lifetime want, with only 1000§ to start with" or "get as much aspiration points as possible" or "the largest family wins" or whatever ... or it could be either one sim or several, and people could play the challenge in different ways (more sims = more options, but also harder to keep alive).

For me personally, anything would be cool as long as it's not the 14569th beauty contest, and as long as it's short. Doable within 3 or 4 weekends, ideally. Or within one sim lifetime (I guess that would actually be the perfect timeframe for me).

//

One sort-of-related thing that came to mind, speaking about rules and stuff: in order to make any challenge like this one more "standardized"/equal/fair, what would you think about providing a standard community lot (a small crappy one) and people have to use that and only that in their neighbourhoods? Particularly in the first couple of days the community lot can make all the difference (speaking of the Poverty Challenge now), as the sims basically live there. I learned that when I realized that we can actually place showers on comm. lots -- my first sim (I started over when you changed the rules) had almost died of exhaustion because she spent hours and hours washing hands; the second one (the Baloney sim) could just jump in the shower, which made life about 100 times easier for him.

I'm just thinking, for "ghetto superstar" sims in particular it would be a bit strange if they had a huuuuuge glitzy entertainment center at their disposal =)
Instructor
Original Poster
#94 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 5:18 PM
Well, I was thinking of having this as a bonus part of this challenge, like the "old maid" and "pregnant teen" bonuses, but I'll take that into consideration... if I ever start another challenge, I think I have learned a lot from running this one in terms of the problems/ questions that can come up, and this might be a good idea. Right now I don't know that I have time to run a second challenge simultaneously, if it means being as involved as I am in this one...

****EDIT: Changed my mind about the standard community lots, because I underestimated the effects of uni chain caffeination (sp?). I have uploaded the first standard community lot, and this is the only one you may use from the point of editing this post (1/28/2006):

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=125890
****

So, the question is, do we want more rules and handicaps, and standard community lots to level the playing field, or to just use separate scoring for different players? I don't want to shake things up too much now that the challenge is already underway, so it is a complex decision.

I just have my sims get dirty until they go into hygiene desperation and take a spongebath.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#95 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 5:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellatrue
So, the question is, do we want more rules and handicaps, and standard community lots to level the playing field, or to just use separate scoring for different players? I don't want to shake things up too much now that the challenge is already underway

For the ongoing challenge I would think that separate scoring is the better solution. For my sims (and I think others' as well, not sure how far/long people have been playing) the community lot wouldn't make such a big difference at this point anymore, as they have their own bathrooms now and sleep at home etc. (Edit: I mean *sleep*, as opposed to pass out. No beds at the comm. lot of course)

But for the "ghetto" thing, I think it would be sweet to have a really shabby bar or something ... (I don't mean to press you btw, I can very well imagine how this challenge alone is eating your time!)
Instructor
Original Poster
#96 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 5:55 PM
Only because I've become obsessed with it!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator DELETED POST
19th Dec 2005 at 5:58 PM
This message has been deleted by plasticbox. Reason: Moved to Stories
Test Subject
#97 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 6:24 PM
Can it rain in the game?

You're so beautiful, you could be a waitress
-[i]Beautiful Girl[/b] FOTC
Instructor
Original Poster
#98 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 7:28 PM
No, not unless you have a hack installed (and Carrigon's is unstable). So nothing really happens to them when they are living on the lawn.
Test Subject
#99 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 7:56 PM
I think it would be fun and exciting if it could rain, snow, have hurricanes, tornadoes, etc in the game. Much more life-like, I think.

Sorry for spamming

You're so beautiful, you could be a waitress
-[i]Beautiful Girl[/b] FOTC
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator DELETED POST
19th Dec 2005 at 11:05 PM
This message has been deleted by plasticbox. Reason: Moved to Stories
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#100 Old 19th Dec 2005 at 11:39 PM
From the update that can now be found here (as I moved the whole thing to Stories); I had "aged" a Sim before moving him in using the Nightlife "agesimscheat":

[...] Ocean moves in [and] brings in no more than 2000§! Oh crap. Perhaps it's because he aged artificially ... so even though he's an adult now, he has the financial assets of a teenager.

One question: Ocean's lifespan is weird -- when he moves in, he "will become an elder in 15 days". This is a bug I would say, the game changes the life stage when you age a sim up/down, but somehow forgets to change the *length* of it. Can I use the MindControl mirror or something to set it to normal (29 days)? Or do I just have to live with the fact that he'll age/die prematurely?
Page 4 of 36
Back to top