Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 2:48 AM
Default Datamining Traits and Life States?
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has ever, uh... thoroughly datamined the information on how all the traits and life states work?

I want to eventually write a guide on making good synergies between the different occult life states and the Traits system, but sometimes guides and wikis seem to have incomplete information. I know, for example, that being a fairy and having the Green Thumb trait give overlapping benefits to gardening, but I sometimes hear people on forums and in comments sections say there's one or two benefits that Green Thumb gives that being a fairy doesn't. I'd like to be able to check if that's really true, and also to find if the benefits that are redundant "stack" in any way. For example (and these are both "if", I don't know if they're true)... if both the Green Thumb trait and the Fairy life state increase quality of produce, do they combine to give a higher chance of good produce than either one would on its own? If both Green Thumb and the Fairy life state increase Gardening skill growth, do the multipliers combine to create an even faster rate of gardening learning?

Sometimes there will be contradictory information between different sites on how, say, Gatherer interacts with the werewolf's Hunting ability. I'll see a source say that genies have a slight boost to all skill growth but not say what the exact multiplier is. I see sites say that the Loves The Outdoors traits makes sims "better" at Fishing and Gardening... what is the nature of this "better", and does it stack with the Green Thumb and Angler traits?

I tried looking up if there was information on how to mod life states and traits a while back, to see if I could use that kind of information to learn how to look at the game in its unmodded state, but I didn't find much beyond information on how to install mods that already exist... if the information really is out there and I'm just bad at finding it, please let me know.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use this kind of information some day to create a guide dedicated specifically to Traits and Life States, and their interaction with the game's various skills.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Apr 2020 at 5:42 PM
I'm afraid to double-post, but still I don't know how to figure this out on my own... I've tried looking at the tutorials on modding, but I don't know how helpful it is to what I'm looking for.

What programs will help me look directly at the internal data for The Sims 3 and its expansion packs, especially information regarding traits? (I think I want to see to what extent the bonuses that occult life states give are linked to their corresponding hidden traits, first, before I go digging into other aspects of how life states are delineated.)

Genies are said to learn all skills more quickly than other sims - what's the exact modifier for that? x1.5 faster? x2 faster?
What's the exact nature of the boost that Vampires get to learning skills at night? From what I've heard, the exact rate changes wildly, and doesn't stack with other learning boosts like the Fast Learner lifetime reward.
Werewolves gain the athletics skill faster than other sims - what's the exact modifier? Does this stack with the Athletic trait?
Fairies supposedly learn Charisma and Gardening faster than other sims - modifier? Do these stack with Green Thumb and Charismatic's learning rate boosts?
Witches are said to learn the alchemy skill faster than other sims. What's the modifier, and does this stack with the Supernatural Fan boost to alchemy learning rate?
The game claims that Plantsims learn Gardening and Science faster than other sims. Same questions...
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 18th Apr 2020 at 10:36 PM
Using S3PE you can open gameplayData and check things in there and change them if wanted.
I was able to find the modifier for Werewolves in there, it's a 2X multiplier and the athletic trait is a 1.2X multiplier. As for whether or not they stack it doesn't seem to say anything one way or another so I guess the best way to find out is to test it.
Not everything is in the same place so I can't say for certain whether Genies learn all skills faster but I'm guessing not as it doesn't appear to be where most other skill modifiers are.
Supernatural Fans and Witches get a 1.2X alchemy skill gain bonus which doesn't seem to stack.
Hope this helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Apr 2020 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Karlissa
Using S3PE you can open gameplayData and check things in there and change them if wanted.
I was able to find the modifier for Werewolves in there, it's a 2X multiplier and the athletic trait is a 1.2X multiplier. As for whether or not they stack it doesn't seem to say anything one way or another so I guess the best way to find out is to test it.
Not everything is in the same place so I can't say for certain whether Genies learn all skills faster but I'm guessing not as it doesn't appear to be where most other skill modifiers are.
Supernatural Fans and Witches get a 1.2X alchemy skill gain bonus which doesn't seem to stack.
Hope this helps.

Thank you! This is the most helpful anyone's been so far. I've been using S3PE, but it seems I was looking at the entirely wrong packages at the time...
Would I find this information in the data for the skills in question, or in the data for the life states in question? I still don't fully have a grasp on how to read this information, but I'm looking forward to learning how!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 11:54 AM
I found the majority of it in traitTuning. But the data for witches and supernatural fans was in researchAlchemy so it may take a few guesses to find the correct place since it's not exactly consistent.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 6:21 PM
I found the majority of it in traitTuning. But the data for witches and supernatural fans was in researchAlchemy so it may take a few guesses to find the correct place since it's not exactly consistent.

Thanks! Well, I guess I'll have to hunt for the stuff not in TraitTuning, but this is a good start.

Although... when I look at ResearchAlchemy_AlchemyStation, I see an entry for Supernatural Skeptics, but not Supernatural Fans.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<base>
	<Interaction name="Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Alchemy.AlchemyStation+ResearchAlchemy+Definition" />
	<Object name="Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Alchemy.AlchemyStation" />
	<CodeVersion name="EP7" considerCodeVersion="True" />
	<Current_Tuning>
		<Disallow DisallowAutonomous="False" DisallowUserDirected="False" DisallowPlayerSim="False" />
		<BaseAvailability>
			<AgeSpeciesAvail AgeSpeciesValue="T,Y,A,E" />
			<MotiveThreshold MotiveThresholdType="None" MotiveThresholdValue="0" MotiveBelowCheck="False" />
			<MoodThreshold MoodThresholdType="None" MoodThresholdValue="0" />
			<SkillThreshold SkillThresholdType="None" SkillThresholdValue="0" />
			<Occult OccultRestrictionType="Ignore" OccultTypes="0x0" OccultTypesHumanAllowed="True" />
			<CareerThreshold CareerThresholdType="Undefined" CareerThresholdValue="0" IncludePastCareers="False" />
			<Lot AllowNonGreetedSimsIfObjectOutside="True" AllowNonGreetedSimsIfObjectOutsideUserDirected="True" AllowGreetedSims="True" AllowOnCommunityLots="True" AllowOnAllLots="False" />
			<World RestrictionType="None" Types="" Names="" />
			<Room AllowInTombRoomAutonomous="False" AllowEvenIfNotAllowedInRoomAutonomous="False" />
			<Misc DisallowedIfPregnant="False" DisallowedFromInventory="False" />
		</BaseAvailability>
		<Check type="All" value="0" />
		<Tradeoff name="ResearchAlchemy">
			<Localization autoGenerate="False" />
			<Time value="1" addRoute="True" />
			<Exit funExit="False" stressExit="True" interruptible="True" />
			<RouteLeadIn allowed="False" />
			<AskJoinInteraction joinable="False" />
			<AllowAutonomousReinforcement allowPraise="False" allowScold="False" />
			<ScoringFunction alwaysChooseBest="False" name="" specificCommodity="None" />
			<ActionTopic name="" ActionTopicUnavailableAfterActionFinishes="False" />
			<Output>
				<Change type="SkillSpellcraft" advertised="0" locked="False" actual="800" updateType="ContinuousFlow" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />
				<Change type="Fun" advertised="10" locked="True" actual="10" updateType="ContinuousFlow" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />
				<Change type="TraitWitch" advertised="0" locked="False" actual="50" updateType="ImmediateDelta" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />
				<Change type="TraitSupernaturalSkeptic" advertised="-200" locked="False" actual="0" updateType="ContinuousFlow" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />
				<Change type="BeInPotionShopConsignmentStore" advertised="50" locked="False" actual="0" updateType="ContinuousFlow" timeDependsOn="False" updateEvenOnFailure="False" updateAboveAndBelowZero="Either" />
			</Output>
		</Tradeoff>
	<Notes Notes="" DesignerNotes="1st Tuning Pass - Andy" LastChange="3/28/2012 12:33:00 PM" />
	</Current_Tuning>
</base>

Also, I'm not seeing how this affects the learning rate? Sorry I'm such a noob. Am I looking at the wrong thing again?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 7:12 PM
I think I see the confusion as I was looking at AlchemyStation+ResearchAlchemy. Gotta love the fact that the names are almost identical.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 8:25 PM
I think I see the confusion as I was looking at AlchemyStation+ResearchAlchemy. Gotta love the fact that the names are almost identical.

Ah, thank you! Yea, I see it now. I'm guessing I should mostly hunt through the XML files to find the information I want.

It's really quite confusing how the various skill-learning modifiers seem to be scattered all over the place. I found the tuning for fairies learning "fairy skills" in a file that seems to mostly be related to performing animations:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<base>
  <Current_Tuning>
    <kSkillLevelForExpertAnimations value="10">
      <!--Range: (0-10).  Description:  Skill level at which a Sim is doing 'Expert' animations.-->
    </kSkillLevelForExpertAnimations>
    <kSkillLevelForSkilledAnimations value="8">
      <!--Range: (0-10).  Description:  Skill level at which a Sim is doing 'Skilled' animations.-->
    </kSkillLevelForSkilledAnimations>
    <kSkillLevelForNormalAnimations value="4">
      <!--Range: (0-10).  Description:  Skill level at which a Sim is doing 'Normal' animations.-->
    </kSkillLevelForNormalAnimations>
    <kSkillLevelForNoviceAnimations value="2">
      <!--Range: (0-10).  Description:  Skill level at which a Sim is doing 'Novice' animations.-->
    </kSkillLevelForNoviceAnimations>
    <kSkillLevelBumpMultiplierForFairies value="1">
      <!--Range: (0 ...).  Description:  Fairy acquiring 'Fairy skills' speed multiplier.-->
    </kSkillLevelBumpMultiplierForFairies>
    <kFairySkills value="Gardening, Painting, Sculpting, Dancing, Entertainer, Guitar, BassGuitar, Drums, Piano">
      <!--Fairy Skills that have multiplier.-->
    </kFairySkills>
    <kVGnomeBotSkillMultiplierBoost value="0.75">
      <!--Modifier for bot making skill when Vgnome is nearby (0.25 = 25% faster) - PAB-->
    </kVGnomeBotSkillMultiplierBoost>
    <kVGnomeFutureSkillMultiplierBoost value="0.75">
      <!--Modifier for future skill when Vgnome is nearby (0.25 = 25% faster) - PAB-->
    </kVGnomeFutureSkillMultiplierBoost>
    <kMaxGnomeDistance value="15">
      <!--Max distance for a Vgnome nearby to have an effect on the sim's skill multipliers - PAB-->
    </kMaxGnomeDistance>
  </Current_Tuning>
  <Deprecated_Tuning />
</base>

What exactly does <kSkillLevelBumpMultiplierForFairies value="1"> do? A number multiplied by 1 is just the original number... is there something I'm missing? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 10:24 PM
I'm guessing it does absolutely nothing. I've noticed a few other 1X multipliers so it wouldn't be surprising. It's either that or it multiplies by 100%, the code is inconsistent as times as sometimes 0.25 can mean a 1.25X multiplier or it can mean a 0.25X multiplier. The comment next to it doesn't exactly clarify matters.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Apr 2020 at 4:29 PM
So this is weird... this is in the XML for OccultVampire:
Code:
  <Current_Tuning>
    <kSkillGainModifierArtistic value="2">
      <!--The vampire skill gain modifier for artistic skills.-->
    </kSkillGainModifierArtistic>
    <kSkillGainModifierCreative value="2">
      <!--The vampire skill gain modifier for creative skills.-->
    </kSkillGainModifierCreative>
    <kSkillGainModifierMental value="2">
      <!--The vampire skill gain modifier for mental skills.-->
    </kSkillGainModifierMental>
    <kSkillGainModifierMusical value="2">
      <!--The vampire skill gain modifier for musical skills.-->
    </kSkillGainModifierMusical>
    <kSkillGainModifierPhysical value="2">
      <!--The vampire skill gain modifier for physical skills.-->
    </kSkillGainModifierPhysical>

Is this related to Vampiric Vigor, or is this just... a buff Vampires have on top of that?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 22nd Apr 2020 at 7:45 AM
GameplayData only tells you which tunables exist not how they're implemented. For that you need e.g. ILSpy and files found in gameplay.package extracted as dll.