Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 12:15 AM
Default Strangetown: How do you play Lazlo Curious and Crystal Vu?
I've tried to make it work in the past, but they have ZERO chemistry. In my current hood, I aged them back to YA and send them to college together, hoping to start the story with them afresh. First thing Lazlo did in the dorm? Barf black hearts while looking at Crystal! Not going to work out at ALL. BUT I also aged back the Singles family. Lazlo is very hot for Erin Beaker. And when you read their bios, they work together very well. I think storywise, Lazlo and Erin Beaker would be fun too. Vidcund and Pascal have a past with Circe and hate Loki. Lazlo messing around with Erin would just stir the pot.

But am I breaking up a cherished couple? Do some of you really go crazy for Crystal Vu and Lazlo together?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 12:44 AM
First of all, why do you care if other people cherish them? If they don't work for you they don't. It's your game.

I have Lazlo and Crystal together in my game and like them. Chemistry is low due to starsigns and aspirations, but chemistry isn't everything. If you want a single bolt just fiddle with the turn-ons till you get it; more may or may not come with a heightened relationship. Love can be worth an entire bolt. (Erin and Lazlo also have incompatible aspirations, just FWI, but a lot of people get them together regardless and yes, it can work very well.) Crystal's turn ons are why my Lazlo wears a hat. But it's never going to be a passionate marriage, and neither of them gives any appearance of wanting one. Crystal, who is very grouchy, has had a tendency in my game to home in on people hostile to her husband's family for noseflicks. The first time she came over she autonomously picked up Pascal's toddler daughter and formed an indelible bond before she left that night. My backstory for them is that they met in the emergency room after Lazlo did an experiment with helium balloons and a lawnchair. She's the sensible one in the marriage, the one who gives him a firm place to stand as he drifts around Lazloing, keeps the bills paid and disaster at bay, while he reminds her to have fun. The medical career is a suitable one for this Crystal, who in addition to taking care of Lazlo has got this neighborhood's highly soap operatic Mary Gavigan, Nervous and his husband, and some other sims who just need a bit of stability and a sympathetic ear under her wing.

But they won't play that way for everybody, and why should they?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 2:02 AM
I care if people cherish them because I am interested and in others’ you play style. I don’t see anything wrong with that. Just making conversation.

Anyhoo— my original plan was to make them a dysfunctional college couple who is mismatched and dislike each other but are together out of habit rather than love. He calls her “buzzkill” she tries to nag him into getting serious and growing up. I have no idea if they will stay together after college, but if they do, neither will change for the other one. Lazlo will probably spend most of his free time with his brothers (I’ll teleport him to the lab when I play his brothers)
Field Researcher
#4 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 6:11 AM
Ask 50 Sims 2 players, there'd probably be 50 different responses.

I had to check my game, yes I have gotten the two together in the past, but that probably hasn't always been the case. Players can also try to play to the Sims fears as well, or get Lazlo with someone else (or no one else).

Also, if I remember right Strangetown is modeled after small settlements in the desert of the American West, the kind that would have a large military base somewhere nearby (why the Grunt family is there) and on a highway that had more traffic over half a century ago. Someone who blinks while driving down this road might miss it. This would mean the number of people someone could meet would be very limited. Lazlo and Crystal might even think of each other as the only opportunity either of them have.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 2:21 PM
I always break them up. I've gotten Lazlo with Erin in the past and was going to this time but him and Nervous used ACR right away and are a wonderful couple this go around. Normally I get Pascal and Nervous together but they have negative chemistry this time around and with the Lazlo and Nervous heart farting hard for each other, I just let them be. It's what they want so I let them. I can't see Lazlo and Crystal Vu together either. I'm not sure why exactly I just don't.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 2:51 PM
I don't think I have ever had them together.

I normally get all three of the Curious brothers abducted and I have higher trip/quad odds for alien births so they are way too busy for any romance!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Forum Resident
#7 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 4:06 PM
I've played both versions. Crystal motivated Lazlo to move out of the observatory and pulled him more towards normality - he always seemed like the least nerdy brother to me, slightly less terrible fashion sense and a girlfriend. Lazlo and Erin was pretty fun because I played Loki as the Curious brothers' self-proclaimed archrival (it was a very one-sided rivalry) and his sister eloping with the youngest Curious brother was the final straw for him. He's working on that death ray now.
Scholar
#8 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 8:02 PM
The first time I played Strangetown, I didn't know about Lazlo and Crystal. I was just playing the Loner household while I got to know the game, and I had Ajay's son, Cameron, marry Crystal. When I finally played in the rest of the hood in the third generation, I felt terrible that I'd split the couple up!

Since then, I've had Lazlo and Crystal marry a couple of times, but I agree they don't seem very interested in one another. I've had Lazlo hopelessly in love with Chloe Singles, since the relationship tags weren't set properly and they didn't know they were half-sibs, but the relationship that's worked best for him in my experience is with Buck Grunt. I came to the conclusion that Lazlo is with Crystal because he feels he should be, and it's only when he meets the adult Buck that he realizes what's missing in his relationship with his wife.

I've had Vidcund hook up with Erin Beaker and they made a great couple. Loki wasn't pleased, but Erin evidently doesn't share her brother's dislike of aliens, as she and her half-alien stepdaughter were BFFs from very early on.
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 8:29 PM
This is hilarious hearing these pairings I never would have thought of. Lazlo and Buck! Omg!!!

When I first played Strangetown I got Lazlo and Vidcund mixed up. Lazlo got the alien baby. Then I was confused because Vidcund didn’t seem very interested in Crystal, but I set them up on a date. They had a very good time, but Vidcund never rolled another want about her at all after the date was over.

I usually play the Curious brothers as mostly asexual. Pascal and Nervous usually have negative chemistry, but always call each other for booty calla for some reason.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kewpie
This is hilarious hearing these pairings I never would have thought of. Lazlo and Buck! Omg!!!

When I first played Strangetown I got Lazlo and Vidcund mixed up. Lazlo got the alien baby. Then I was confused because Vidcund didn’t seem very interested in Crystal, but I set them up on a date. They had a very good time, but Vidcund never rolled another want about her at all after the date was over.

I usually play the Curious brothers as mostly asexual. Pascal and Nervous usually have negative chemistry, but always call each other for booty calla for some reason.

I can't remember what I've done in the past, but in my current game Lazlo is married to Kristen Loste (Singles). They both have Pleasure as a secondary aspiration, and I have a mod that uses that, so they have two bolts.

I also play the other two Curious brothers as mostly asexual, though it's manifested in different ways. Pascal's always wanted to be abducted again, and has three alien sons (all from separate pregnancies). When he became an elder he briefly wanted to woohoo, but it soon disappeared and he has never wanted to do anything romantic before or since. He's never had a romantic relationship. Vidcund meanwhile never wanted to meet aliens again after having his alien daughter, and threw himself into his job and then (after he got fired via a hobby chance card) his business. When he became an elder he also wanted to woohoo, but actually followed through and ended up marrying the Diva - except he isn't really very interested in romance, and she's bored and frustrated. When their marriage falls apart, I'm not sure whether he's going to embrace asexuality and stay single, or realise he does have an interest in romance occasionally and find someone more suited to him.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 5:18 PM
Hi kewpie! I actually enjoy Lazlo and Crystal together
I envision Lazlo as the "lazy pothead" of the Curious brothers trio: not very ambitious, a couch-potato who enjoys videogames and sci-fi TV shows. He's the guy who talks about astronomical theories, existentialism and the meaning of life at 3 AM after having smoked at a party. He cooks for the whole family and is a caring uncle for the alien offspring of Pascal and Vidcund. In my game, Crystal Vu is a flower child who used to be in the first line during college rallies against pollution and environment exploitation. She's a spiritual person who believes in auras and energy flows among people. In my vision, she is called Crystal because her parents believed in crystal therapy and they transmitted their views on spirituality to their daughter!
I see them as a good couple, since she is a very loving soul with a big interest in the "beyond" and he is a placid and funny nerd obsessed with alternative science theories. They would talk a lot about alternative sciences and medicine and they would get stoned together :P
Mad Poster
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 9:08 PM
I use to always put them together because it felt like the game wanted that. When I started my ubermegahood I decided there was no point if I wasn't going to let my sims mingle amongst other subhoods and decided to be a little more relaxed on the script the game 'wants' you to play.

This time, they had no chemistry. Vidcund and Crystal Vu had 1 bolt - tried to persue it but ultimately neither was all that interested - Vidcund wasn't really interested in anyone for years until he met Bella Goth. Lazlo met Stella Terrano when she moved to Strangetown after graduating, they fell in love, had quads and then got married and the rest is history, they've recently become grandparents. Crystal ended up with Leod McGreggor somehow! I have no idea how it happened, and I never really had a perfect storyline of how they would meet - they just met on a community lot or something while in the background and formed a relationship and I just ran with it. I actually had plans of Crystal finding herself in the big city (Belladonna Cove or Downtown) following some kind of awesome promotion - not in little Riverblossom Hills wearing an apron and popping out 3 children - but hey it happened, and she was awesome at juggling her children, career and a small farm. Sadly none of her children really followed in her career-driven footsteps nor do they share her love for the unexplained (especially aliens!), all have become quite traditional farmers and housewives. Her daughter has a soon-to-be-step-son who is an alien though and I'm sure Crystal would be very interested to meet him. Maybe Leod and Crystal may retire to Strangetown and leave the farm to their eldest child eventually.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Theorist
#13 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 10:38 PM Last edited by Orphalesion : 2nd Jun 2021 at 11:14 PM.
I usually ignore Crystal Vu's existence, since I don't like Townies (with the exception of Kaylynn Langerak), whom I pair Lazlo with varies. In some megahoods I actually paired him with Cassandra Goth.

Sometimes I don't pair the Curious brothers off at all, and they just raise their various half-alien offspring together.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 3:23 AM
Well, without the expansion packs that enable chemistry, they are perfectly inclined to fall in love. I generally hate 'predestined' couples, though.

I did play them with chemistry in a pseudo-Victorian neighborhood, wherein I figured that Lazlo and Crystal had gotten themselves into a situation widely regarded as compromising. They never managed mutual love, though they had a decent enough marriage and children. That's mods for you!

Sometimes they get together, sometimes they don't. Crystal generally strikes me as too sensible to get tangled up in the chaotic mess that my Curiouses become, but not always.

I ship Vidcund/Erin pretty hard, speaking of one bolt at best Strangetown couples, so I'm afraid I can't advise as to the compatibility of Lazlo/Erin.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 4:20 AM
I had Lazlo scope out the hallway, where all the Singles and Crystal were hanging out. Erin lit up a bit, but Chloe set him on fire! I wouldn’t imagine a romance/knowledge pairing, but he really thinks Chloe is hot!

By the way.. is there a way to use sim blender to get males pregnant? Not random alien pregnancy— just get them pregnant with another sims baby. I don’t want to add a mod that allows male pregnancy to happen — I want it to be super rare. I’d like to have them only get pregnant via sim blender. I’d like a very small chance.. maybe 1 in 20, that a male sim can get pregnant from alien woohoo— regardless of the gender of the alien. If Lazlo hooks up with Chloe, she might get him pregnant. If Johnny and Ripp hook up, Ripp might get pregnant.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 4:36 AM
I tried that pairing once or twice, but I'm not very into getting the pairings in TS2 "just right" so it did work out fine. Might have cheated it a bit, though... I probably based it on him having her as a romantic interest with a townie that looked somewhat alright, plus not wanting to start a relationship from scratch with some other random townie. If I remember correctly they did end up having a few non-alien kiddos one of the times (maybe twins? I'm not sure, it's been a while - haven't messed about much with Strangetown for probably 10+ years). The house got quite full with at least one or two alien cousins living there as well.

I consider the bolts more of a rough guideline than a rule. I've had relationships work out perfectly fine in TS2 where there were no bolts or just one. Most of the time I don't really care much about the attraction system other than making sure my sims don't get negative attraction scores with their spouses, because that's a bit unfortunate (I probably would care more if I played legacy-style, though).
Forum Resident
#17 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 5:19 AM
By the way.. is there a way to use sim blender to get males pregnant? Not random alien pregnancy— just get them pregnant with another sims baby.

I know you can do this with the Sim Manipulator - it's one of the options under "Pregnancy". Select a male Sim, choose "Make pregnant with (any sim on the lot/in the neighborhood)", and watch Mr. Seahorse.
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 7:51 AM
Another thing: isn’t he related to Chloe? Did I accidentally start an unclean Strangetown?? Oh no!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 3:12 PM
To me, it appeared as though the game were implying that Lazlo's crush on Crystal wasn't mutual for a reason. Like, he crushes on Crystal because she's pretty, and ambitious, and shares similar interests to him, but she's a bit hypocritical and thinks he's weird. And the more Lazlo gets to know Crystal, the more his crush would fade because their personalities don't mesh perfectly well. They make good friends, but if they dated they would quickly come to hate the other because when you date little faults tend to magnify.

I had Lazlo ask her out on a date, and she accepted to give him a chance (which is what I was doing; giving her a chance to see if my impression was wrong). But on the date, her natural grouchiness/seriousness and his natural niceness/playfulness gave off the impression that she was slightly condescending, and he would graciously brush off her bad manners, but... I didn't like that. It's fine for friends to make allowances for each other, but if they were to be together and she would continue to make stinkeyes and giggle at his failures and generally act as if his playfulness made him stupid, when he's actually very smart (he's higher up the science career than both his brothers!) -- Lazlo's observant, and he seems to have high EQ, so I think he'd notice that she doesn't respect or understand him. And that's ok for a friend, but not for a spouse.

I'm a young adult in poor health, trying to heal enough to complete my goals.
This is the song that never ends ~ It goes on and on my friends ~
my first ToT Challenge (which is actually indefinitely hiatus, I'm in a different TOT hood now)
Scholar
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 3:27 PM
I've never had them get together, ACR said no. Crystal was far more interested in his brother, Vidcund. But Vidcund was more interested in having alien babies, so Crystal found love elsewhere with Mickey Dosser. Lazlo prefers making food, he hasn't really shown any interest in having a partner yet. I let my Sims decide what they want to do, which is the complete opposite to how I used to play. I much prefer leaving them up to their own devices, the outcomes can surprise you! :P
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 1:53 AM
In college, Lazlo and Crystal have an interesting relationship. She’s mean to almost everyone except for him. They are best friends, but I don’t see any sparks flying. Lazlo is too busy flirting with Lola to do anything. (I know. Ewww) I think Lazlo has a secret crush, but he knows it isn’t going to work out. Crystal has no idea Lazlo likes him. She thinks he’s just fine.
Test Subject
#22 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 2:28 PM
I never pair them up because I don't like the townies and Crystal Vu, I find her obnoxious, Lazlo deserves better so I usually pair him with Cassandra Goth or Natasha Una.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 9:01 PM
I've tried to make it work in the past, but they have ZERO chemistry. In my current hood, I aged them back to YA and send them to college together, hoping to start the story with them afresh. First thing Lazlo did in the dorm? Barf black hearts while looking at Crystal! Not going to work out at ALL. BUT I also aged back the Singles family. Lazlo is very hot for Erin Beaker. And when you read their bios, they work together very well. I think storywise, Lazlo and Erin Beaker would be fun too. Vidcund and Pascal have a past with Circe and hate Loki. Lazlo messing around with Erin would just stir the pot.

But am I breaking up a cherished couple? Do some of you really go crazy for Crystal Vu and Lazlo together?

Are they cherished? They didn't seem interested in each other so I had no qualms about him looking elsewhere.
I've only really played the pre-mades seriously once, when I made an Uber hood a couple of years ago.
Lazzlo is with Brandy Broke. From memory (I have a lot of hoods) they have 1 child and might have another on the way. I think Crystal is with General Buzz..I could be wrong as I have not opened my Uber hood in a while and rounds there take quite some time. Is she blonde? He married a blonde townie and I think her name is Crystal.

I think not being a pre-made player until recently means I feel free to make my own decisions, plus there is some lore I just don't know.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 9:21 PM
I tried with those two a couple times, and if I remember correctly they worked out fine, at least one of the times. Chemistry-wise they're maybe not the best couple, though.

I used to play with the Curious brothers a bit, so I've tried various scenarios with premades/townies. Can't remember too much of it now, though. Been a while...