Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Retired
retired moderator
#251 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 12:22 AM
I am not sure about deleting trees, but I know that adding trees (or lots) using Edit In Game made my world crash when I first tested it out. I had to return to a prepared back up.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#252 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 12:31 AM
That could be it, then.

I've been seeing a lot on various forums that people have been having routing issues after using the in-game world editor, so that's why I was wondering about that. There seems to be some kind of problem with that since the latest patch.

Was yours 1.22 or before, Kiwi?
Test Subject
#253 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
I am not sure about deleting trees, but I know that adding trees (or lots) using Edit In Game made my world crash when I first tested it out. I had to return to a prepared back up.

I'm pretty sure I didn't add any trees (or lots - this I know for sure) through EIG - I just added the buildings to the lots that way.
Test Subject
#254 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
What would be worth trying is to open up your CAW world file in S3Pe, delete the WPID and then save. Then, open the world in CAW, check it still has a name and description, rebuild routing data and save. Then export the world again.

Still crashed when I sent the test sims out of the house. As an additional note, I tested it yesterday after using awesomemod to destroy all sims, and it did allow me to do some testing but did crash after 5-10 real life minutes. I really appreciate your help.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#255 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 1:08 AM
It might be worth trying an older backup though, to see if that helps. If it doesn't then it could be that you have to start again, although you could upload the files to a file hosting site so that others can test it. What game version are you running?
Test Subject
#256 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 1:18 AM
It might be worth trying an older backup though, to see if that helps. If it doesn't then it could be that you have to start again, although you could upload the files to a file hosting site so that others can test it. What game version are you running?

Unfortunately all my backups would have the same issues so I'm afraid I'll have to start over. I'm just afraid to try because without knowing what caused it this time, it'll only happen again.

I'm have all expansions and stuff packs and am patched through 1.22.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#257 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 11:42 AM
Give it another try, if you get stuck again then let us know step by step what you did, as sometimes even the most trivial things can cause problems.
Test Subject
#258 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 3:54 PM
Give it another try, if you get stuck again then let us know step by step what you did, as sometimes even the most trivial things can cause problems.

Will do though I'm going to take a break and actually play for a while. Thanks again for your help.
Retired
retired moderator
#259 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 8:39 PM
This was long, long before 1.22.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Test Subject
#260 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:57 PM
@Simsample

Normally I do it this way:

http://www.sims3forum.de/erstelle-e...bearbeiten.html

But I try it again and I make some screens where there are the errors
Test Subject
#261 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:51 PM
I get the first error when I mark the first Ressource to export
Test Subject
#262 Old 23rd Jun 2011 at 4:14 PM
now do you know whats the problem ?
Lab Assistant
#263 Old 28th Jun 2011 at 8:23 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've really found the information in this thread helpful and useful. So thanks for that.

Something I recently noticed. I attempted another go and revamping Bridgeport. I follow the steps carefully as I have done before. After importing the files to my new world and saving in s3pe, I am ending up with more files than what I imported. I have only noticed this recently since I updated caw, but it could have gone on before and I have just never noticed.

To give a little more information, after removing the unkn and wpid, I believe you are left with 6875 files. After the import, the world has 6880 something.
Test Subject
#264 Old 28th Jun 2011 at 9:17 PM
I found out that every File that shows me an error is a Model File.
So I deleted all Model Files but than later when I opened it in CAW
it crashed ??
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#265 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 3:37 AM
Sentracks, the MODL resources are related to the Sims in the world- for some reason S3PE doesn't seem to be able to make sense of the code. Deleting the MODL resources is only removing part of the code related to the population, so your world will have files relating to things you removed, hence the crash.

g00d2day, yes- that is correct and is needed. I'll explain more in a minute.

Okay, so I've been meaning to take a look at this again for a while, it's on my long list of Things To Do (not enough hours in the day, etcetera etcetera!).

(Before I start, just to clarify that when I say non-packed world I mean a world you made in CAW, that is not exported. And when I say packed world I mean a world you have exported from CAW as a Sims3Pack, and then installed to the game.)

I've been wanting to simplify this for a while, because it struck me as being messy to import all resources from a completed world into a base world- it would be more logical to just import the few needed resources to identify the file as non-packed, wouldn't it? Right, so I needed to figure out which resources are required.

From my previous experiments with splicing layers from one world into another, I knew which resource identified the Global Layer. And, from looking at the world files, I knew that in an unpacked world has a folder containing the layers and lots, whereas a packed world has everything contained in the World file itself.

So, I figured that all I needed to do was to graft the Global Layer from a new world into my packed world, then it would open in CAW. Right? Wrong.

There's another file that identifies the world as non-packed. It seems to be empty- it's zero bytes. Look at UNK 0x0477BD6A in your non-packed world if you want to see it.

There are also a whole bunch of other resources that exist in a non-packed world but not in the packed version, but they don't seem to be needed, and CAW seems to recreate them just fine.

So, here's a new method that you could test out for me. I would like to know the following:
  • If this works for you.
  • If size matters- can you make a small test world and import the global layer to a large world?
  • If you notice any assets missing from your opened packed world.

So please check out my next post for the details.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#266 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 3:38 AM
Default To Open A Packed World
Create a blank test world in CAW- size large, height 300. Call it Test.world.

Go to Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds and copy the Test folder to your desktop. Open Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds\ Test.world in S3Pe, and find resources UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E. Right click those, export to file and choose your desktop.

Now you have three files on your desktop, Test folder and the UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E resources.

Find your packed world file, for example Bridgeport.World. Copy it to your desktop. Now, rename the Test folder to the same name as your world, for example Bridgeport. (Don't put the .world but there, just the name).

Now, open your packed world file, for example Bridgeport.World, in S3Pe. Resource> Import> From file and select your two exported resources, UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E, from your desktop. Tick the 'overwrite' and 'compress' boxes in the import dialogue box.

File> Save your world in S3Pe.

Discard the UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E files from your desktop, we don't need them any more. Also delete the Test.World file from Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds.

Put your world file and your world folder, for example Bridgeport.World and Bridgeport folder, into Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds.

Open CAW, and see if your world will now open.

Does it work?

For information:
UNK 0x0498DA7E- Identifies the Global Layer
UNK 0x0477BD6A (0 Byte file) Empty resource that seems to denote a non packed file.
Lab Assistant
#267 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 7:41 PM
Does it work?

Yep. It does. And it definitely expedites that part of the process. The problem, or annoyance, from here is that you still have to search for UNKN 0x296A6258 and WPID 0xF609FD60.

Now I'm not sure if S3PE filter can be utilized to help me locate these files. Did I mention I'm novice? I tried searching around for some information to help me, but no luck. So I'm searching for these 2 items manually. So, in the bigger picture it's taking me even longer than the old way. At least I had the search function available from the file I exported resources to with the original process.

That said, If you know something that could help me out, I'll be more than glad to try it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#268 Old 29th Jun 2011 at 11:58 PM
g00d2day, thanks for testing!

In S3Pe, you can sort and filter in a number of ways.

Check the 'Sort' and 'Tags boxes at the bottom of the screen (where my cursor is):

Then you can click at the top where the labels are ('Tag', 'Name', 'Type' etc) to sort by that tab. Here I've sorted by Tag, so that all of the resource types are in an alphabetical list. If I then click Type, they are in numerical order.

Also, right at the bottom of the window there is a box, 'Filter Active'. Check that, then check 'Tag' and 'Resource Type', and you can then put UNK and the hex code into the boxes, click the 'Set' button and have it display only that single resource type for you.

Using those methods makes it very easy to isolate a single resource out of thousands.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#269 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 3:57 PM Last edited by g00d2day : 30th Jun 2011 at 4:42 PM.
Thank you yet again. Wow... things that make you say derp. :p

So I spent some time fiddling with the new process last night. I first worked with Bridgeport. My first two attempts, I removed both UNKN 0x296A6258 and WPID 0xF609FD60 resources. Both success. The third try, I only removed the WPID resource. This was also a success and I am currently editing this version with zero issues. Nothing is missing.

I also spent some time using this process to try and open other worlds for editing. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same success as I did with Bridgeport. The first world I tried was Twinbrook. Four tries and no success. I also tried the Los Aniegos- LN edition custom world. Three tries and no success.

This is the error message I got with Twinbrook. It's also the same for Los Aniegos.

So... I'm not sure what's different with these two worlds. I can spend a little more time looking at them this weekend. This is definitely a lot easier and faster than the original process. And the folks who are having memory issues with importing large quantities of resources would certainly benefit from this. So I would like to figure this out.
Test Subject
#270 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 7:05 AM Last edited by hotroxy777 : 1st Jul 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Create a blank test world in CAW- size large, height 300. Call it Test.world.

Go to Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds and copy the Test folder to your desktop. Open Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds\ Test.world in S3Pe, and find resources UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E. Right click those, export to file and choose your desktop.

Now you have three files on your desktop, Test folder and the UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E resources.

Find your packed world file, for example Bridgeport.World. Copy it to your desktop. Now, rename the Test folder to the same name as your world, for example Bridgeport. (Don't put the .world but there, just the name).

Now, open your packed world file, for example Bridgeport.World, in S3Pe. Resource> Import> From file and select your two exported resources, UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E, from your desktop. Tick the 'overwrite' and 'compress' boxes in the import dialogue box.

File> Save your world in S3Pe.

Discard the UNK 0x0477BD6A and UNK 0x0498DA7E files from your desktop, we don't need them any more. Also delete the Test.World file from Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds.

Put your world file and your world folder, for example Bridgeport.World and Bridgeport folder, into Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\ UserToolData\ Worlds.

Open CAW, and see if your world will now open.

Does it work?

For information:
UNK 0x0498DA7E- Identifies the Global Layer
UNK 0x0477BD6A (0 Byte file) Empty resource that seems to denote a non packed file.

Hi @simsample.
It works like a charm for me when I editing the .world in CAW but when I want to save my world then I'm getting a message that I can't save my world be cause some of the data is missing or is corrupted. I've done everything exactly like it is in your post step by step. I'm not gonna be moaning here what I've done wrong but just want to let you know about my problem and I'm still trying to figure how get it to work for me and wanna thank you for your great job in here.
By the way I'm working with Bridgeport.world and Twinbrook ,and I was succesful to manage saving these worlds doing things like it is in the orginal post but another problem was that I was unable to export those worlds this time but like i said I'm working on it

little update:
I was successful editing ,saving and exporting (unpopulated, I've destroyed all Sims using awesomemod) Twinbrook few moments ago. I've done all the steps like it is in the orginal post. I've noticed that I shouldn't interrupt my computer while it saving the world.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#271 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 12:22 PM
g00d2day, I got the same error when I was using an old test world (made about a year ago). When I made a fresh test world Twinbrook worked just fine. Perhaps you could create a different test world, blank Large 300 height and save it, and try again for me? Perhaps this is showing us that some blank test worlds work and some don't! Also, Los Aneigos is populated, and there might be some differences with the way user populated worlds behave in CAW to the EA populated worlds. After all, they are populated by a different process.

hotroxy777, thanks for testing this! So it worked okay eventually? Perhaps the problems you had were due to CAW running out of memory- Twinbrook is quite complex, especially with the sims left in, and CAW is greedy on memory- even if you have a good PC. I'll do some more testing, I appreciate you reporting your findings!

Thank you both for your information, it is great of you to test for me!
Test Subject
#272 Old 1st Jul 2011 at 1:57 PM Last edited by hotroxy777 : 1st Jul 2011 at 4:29 PM.
Hi @simsample when I've tested the method in your #266 post I was able to edit the world in CAW only. I wasn't successful to save it and export into the game. Still working on that.

So I've went to the first method from the oryginal post and using some of your advices in this thread I was successful with editing ,saving and exporting unpopulated Twinbrook ( I've used the awesomemod to wipe out all teh Sims in Twinbrook) and the world working great in my game.
Now I've worked in the same way with Bridgeport but this time with all population of Sims in it. I've managed to edit, save and export into the game Bridgeport (fully populated) and again the world working just perfect.

another update
This time I've done it like you wrote it in post #266 but I also deleted those UNKN 0x296A6258 and WPID 0xF609FD60 resources like it is in the orginal post. I've been working with this custom world: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=4055593 which is unpopulated.
Everything went fine ,and working like a charm So maybe some of the worlds we can do this way and some others not. Like you wrote earlier It could be related to the population but I'll not give up with the EA worlds...O NO
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#273 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 1:26 AM
hotroxy777, I see what you mean- I get an out of memory error with Twinbrook too, it seems like perhaps doing it this way causes CAW to have to do some pretty impossible calculations (remember, it has to process putting all of the layers, lots and objects into separate files when it saves, as initially they are all in the world file which is the wrong place for CAW). From what you've show it seems to be the sims causing this, but I can make Sunset work okay for example, and that's populated. So I think it has to be a method that we can use for most worlds, but some need to be done the long way!

Maybe there's some sort of information in the other resources that I mentioned in post #265 (types UNK 0xAE39399F, UNK 0x033B2B66 and IMG 0x00B2D882) that CAW has trouble recalculating in large populated worlds.
Test Subject
#274 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 4:08 PM
I really want to use this information to edit my pre-made world, but when I go into S3PE it refuses to open ANY world. I follow all the steps posted in this thread, but I get an error message every time. Does anyone know how to get around this? Thanks a lot in advance.
Test Subject
#275 Old 3rd Jul 2011 at 6:28 PM
@omamemmie try to use a 32bit version of S3PE (latest version is recommended) and make sure you have the UAC disabled or copy your .world into different folder in My Documents for example.
Locked thread
Page 11 of 12