Replies: 682 (Who?), Viewed: 177920 times.
Page 28 of 28
Top Secret Researcher
#676 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 10:56 PM
My Dinner With Andre (1981) - 1/10
I cringe thinking that people actually paid money and sat in movie theaters to watch this pseudo-intellectual drivel. I'm embarrassed to say that I sat through this, watching it online last night, although I did fall asleep for about 15 minutes half-way through.
Top Secret Researcher
#677 Old 9th Jul 2021 at 2:25 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 17th Jul 2021 at 6:35 PM.
Idiocracy (2006) - 2/10
Not too far from present-day reality. I did get one good thing out of watching this garbage, namely, the end credits play a catchy instrumental ditty I'd never heard before, Buck Owens' Buckaroo.
Scholar
#678 Old 16th Jul 2021 at 10:03 PM
Con Air (1997) is like the only Nic Cage movie that's acceptable. Though I did watch like 10 mins of Bangkok Dangerous before I had to go out and that was really fun, so maybe if I watch the whole thing there could be another nice movie featuring the dude
Top Secret Researcher
#679 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 4:27 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 19th Jul 2021 at 7:07 PM.
Fahrenheit 451 (1966) - 3.5/10
(slight spoiler warning)
Typical low budget British science fiction, with cheesy props, including 1940's-era telephones and telephone switchboards among otherwise somewhat futuristic mid-century furniture, and the main protagonist eventually escaping in a row boat, despite his high-tech pursuers giving chase on jet packs, which is the absurd low point in the film.
What's odd is that in a society that has outlawed reading of any kind, everyone does seem to know how to read, and there are in fact places where reading is obvious, at least the reading of numbers, such as the number 451 on the firemen's uniforms and the floor selection buttons inside elevators.
The only thing that intrigues me about this movie is that I'm curios where the elevated monorail was located and whatever happened to it. I'll have to Google that, since IMDb no longer provides that kind of info for free.
Some movies make me want to read the books they're based on, but this isn't one of them. Pointless and very boring.

Edit: The monorail was a test track, about a mile long and constructed in France by a corporate consortium, and dismantled not long after having been used in the movie.
Top Secret Researcher
#680 Old 17th Jul 2021 at 6:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa1500
Con Air (1997) is like the only Nic Cage movie that's acceptable. Though I did watch like 10 mins of Bangkok Dangerous before I had to go out and that was really fun, so maybe if I watch the whole thing there could be another nice movie featuring the dude

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Cage seems to be one of David Lynch's go-to actors.
Top Secret Researcher
#681 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 6:50 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 20th Jul 2021 at 12:10 AM.
The Lost Continent (1968) - 4/10
It starts out promisingly enough, with a leaky old steamer carrying illegal cargo to Caracas, Venezuela, I forget from where, along with an odd collection of passengers. After encountering a hurricane they end up stuck in the doldrums in the Sargasso Sea (I had to Google that) where they encounter man-eating seaweed, giant carnivorous crustaceans, and the descendants of conquistadors who have been trapped in the doldrums for centuries. It sounds more interesting than it is.
Who says weed wasn't potent back in the 60's? And I don't mean seaweed.
Top Secret Researcher
#682 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 1:19 AM
Quest for Fire (1981) - 10/10
In the prehistoric world, a Cro-Magnon tribe depends on an ever-burning source of fire, which eventually extinguishes. Lacking the knowledge to start a new fire, the tribe sends three warriors on a quest for more.
One of my favorite movies.
Page 28 of 28