Replies: 3981 (Who?), Viewed: 124816 times.
Page 160 of 160
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3976 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 1:38 PM
I hope if there is / was anybody in the path of hurricane Sally, they were able to get away safely.  Sally has been really mean by only moving a couple miles per hour over the past 12 or so hours. Hurricanes are destructive by their very nature, but when they move that slow, that means lots of damage is done by wind, rain and storm surge. Phone calls to 911 for water rescues started at around 7:00 PM EST.

Laundry room is done.

Relatives are calling because they want things.  If they needed food or something; I'd be okay with that even though we only hear from this person when she wants something. She never calls just to say hi or whatever. I digress.  Calling about a sheet of commemorative stamps that she wants us to send is not a need and there is at least one post office in every town across the US. A person can even order stamps directly from the USPS website and have them shipped. Said person is internet savvy and is more than able to afford the $11.00 for a sheet of stamps. People are so rude....

The stink from the dead mouse is gone. The floor for the entryway is concrete.  Since concrete is porous, it absorbs liquid that smells good or bad.  It took many applications of bleach and water to get the smell out, but we're good now.  To help me figure out the exact location of where the floor needed to be treated, I ordered a black light that is used to find pet urine stains.  The one I was sent needs to go back as it has a bad connector, but it worked enough to get the job done. Amazon will be sending me a new one as it is a handy thing to keep around the house. One of my dirty dogs pee'd on one of my scatter rugs; I didn't know about it until I checked with the light.

The other things we were told to try to get the stink out was to use a power washer which we don't have and since the problem was inside, using a power washer wouldn't have worked.  The other idea was to keep putting baking soda down to absorb the smell. Yeah, no.  It was 46 degrees when I roll out of bed this morning. I can't leave a fan in the window for weeks at a time to suck funky smells out. 

Electrician remains MIA. I called and left a message yesterday, still nothing.  If I don't hear from him by the end of the week, I'll call in somebody else. As of this coming Friday, it will be a week since I've heard from him. 

While hoping for a return phone call from MIA electrician yesterday, I cleaned out all the closets downstairs. I didn't have much to get rid off, but they were in dire need to be organized. Having the vacuum cleaner in one closet while the attachments for said vacuum in another doesn't make any frickin' sense.  Keeping like things with like things means not wasting time looking for stuff.  I need to order more shelves to get things off of the floor, and the closets need to be painted. I have all winter to get that done.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3977 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 11:56 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 17th Sep 2020 at 3:33 PM.
In a unexpected twist, the electrician called last night and will be here this morning.

I didn't expect him to call, but that isn't the 'twisted' part.  We started looking for a new electrician yesterday.  We were going to give the one that was here last Friday up until 11:00 AM today. If he didn't call,  we were going to go with the new people we contacted. They were more than happy to come out his morning, give us a estimate and do the job. 

The twisted part of this story is; the people we called to replace the other guy is related to the guy that is showing up this morning.  DOH!  I don't pretend to understand how this situation came to be, and I admit that I'm curious if perhaps a phone call was made saying something along the lines of "Your customer is calling us to do a job. Why are you ignoring them?"  A curiosity that will never be answered unless it happens through conversation.

I'm not one of those people that expects a contractor of any kind to drop what they are doing just to call me back, but there is a line. If somebody can't find and or make the time to make a appointment, then clearly don't need my business.  There are other jobs around the house that are electricity related that need to be done.  We're getting things done as we're able to pay for them.  We could go to the bank and take out a loan; that's not happening.

The previous owner of this house had a thing for ceiling fans; he stuck them everywhere.  Not only do I hate ceiling fans as they are one more thing to clean, but we also have low ceilings.  If a person is taller than 6'2", they run the risk of being smacked in the head with ceiling fan blades.  Downstairs there is a fan in what the previous owner used as a bedroom. Because of the ceilings down there, I can't raise my arms over my head in the middle of the room without hitting the stupid fan; I'm 5'2".   Then there is the lighting situation in the kitchen that is a hot mess because of stupid things the previous owner did that also needs to be fixed.  Putting a ceiling fan with light fixtures in front of a fridge does nothing to provide light to a sink or counter top as a person is always standing in their own shadow unless the sink or counter is on the other side of the lights. 

The previous owner of this house was also a avid junk collector.  When we first moved in and started what are now flowerbeds, we dug up a entire weight set that had been buried with time to go along with booze bottles, kids toys, ect...  It was like doing a archeological dig only without the thrill of finding the remains of a T-Rex or some other creature from times past.

These are the kinds of things that realtors don't talk about in their listings and such. Even the person that sold us this house had issues.  Soon after we bought, the guy disappeared. We thought maybe he died, nope. He hightailed it out of state because he spent a few years engaging in tax fraud. He also failed to mention that a person died in the house which is illegal, at least in my state it is.

Fun times....

EDIT: Outdoor lighting is done.  Next project is already in the making. The ceiling fans are going and recessed lighting is going in the kitchen. Yaass!

Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#3978 Old 17th Sep 2020 at 4:40 PM
The town of Asshole has a broken water main.

Everything that requires water is offline until further notice.

Not too thrilled.

Still working on my town project.

This October: I'm going to commit to buying a shave ice kit, seaweed and sea grapes, binders in bright colors, a very strong toothpaste, Disney films directed under Walt's supervision, 128 color pencils and matcha green tea powder.

It's my birthday month (October) and I hate hesitation Because it cost me in the past

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3979 Old 18th Sep 2020 at 11:38 AM
TGIF...

It is going to be nice all weekend; there is no shortage of things that need to be done.

I need to finish painting the kitchen ceiling before new lights can go in. I also need to find a new range hood. Ours has been in the house since who knows when, it is the wrong color so it doesn't match anything and it's gross.  It needs to go! Most meals are cooked in the crockpot or Instant Pot anyway. I have zero use for a gross, bisque colored range hood.

I spent over a hour yesterday looking for a new light fixture for the livingroom when the ceiling fan comes out.  I had zero luck. Everything I looked at are nothing more than a dust magnets.  Recessed lighting is going in the livingroom. I need to call the electrician to make him aware of the change in plans. I tried calling him yesterday but his his message box was full. I can think of better things to do than waste time  cleaning light fixtures.  Recessed lights are simple to clean.  Take a duster to them on a extended pole, swirl it around and they're done.

A box of stuff needs to be dropped off for donation.

I've been slacking with making freezer meals.  Assuming Amazon actually sends my stuff, I can get those done tomorrow.  This virus thing has taught me many things, but keeping extra food in the house is a good idea. Not hoarder-type extra food, just the stuff we normally buy then we 'shop the house' when we need something rather than going to the store for it.  When something runs low, we stock up again.  Nothing gets thrown out or wasted.

I saw a video the other day about making bread in the crockpot. I want to give that a go to see what happens.

The Pit needs to be finished.  There wasn't time to work on it this week.

So far the ultrasonic mouse deterrent things have been working. I haven't seen any evidence of any new mice or heard them.  Usually when they come in, they like to romp around in the attic and chew stuff.  The entryway still smells like bleach, but it will get a good airing out over the next couple of days. I'll take the smell of bleach over what was there.

Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#3980 Old Yesterday at 3:53 AM
I started in on stopping smoking on Tuesday, and am doing pretty well so far.

But I am in complete despair right now because Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died tonight.

2020 is undoubtedly going to go down as one the worst years in our country's history.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/#myfiles (including funerals!)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3981 Old Yesterday at 1:42 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : Yesterday at 1:55 PM.
Yesterday was one of those semi 'bull in china shop' days mixed with getting things done.

The crockpot bread failed. I think I added too much flour as the dough was really dry and crumbly. I'll try it again at a later date. Until then, I drag out the bread machine.

I said recently that I needed to stop doing banking stuff early in the morning as it never ends well when I do.  Yesterday I did it again, only this time I had to call the bank to fix my screw up.  I was supposed to move money from checking to savings which I do every week. I ended up moving money from our checking account to our credit card which we don't owe anything on.  If the amount was $50.00 or something, that wouldn't have been a big deal as I could use it the next time I order pet food or whatever.  The amount was larger than that though and when I went to correct my mistake, the bank assumed I wanted a cash advance.  Ewww, no!

For those that don't know how credit card cash advances work; it is basically a loan against the line of credit on a credit card. So if somebody has a credit card limit of $500.00, a person could take a cash advance against that $500.00.  "Borrowing" money this way is not free unless a person pays off the balance within 30 days.  Not only does a person have to pay interest on the stuff they bought if they already had a balance to begin with, but then they also have to pay a separate interest rate ( this is a additional interest rate, both accrue at the same time) on the cash advance if that too isn't paid in full before 30 days.  The whole thing leads down a path of a ugly, financial mess if people are not careful. I digress.

I called the bank and explained the stupid thing I did. The problem was fixed; no harm done.  I am however done with doing banking stuff shortly after I get up. The stress of doing so isn't worth it. If there is something I have to do, I can do it the night before.

I figured out a good time to call the electrician so I can actually speak with him. We talked about the kitchen as well as my 'issue' with finding a fixture for the living room. He's onboard with nixing the fixture and putting in recessed lighting instead. He also agreed that recessed lighting is easier to maintain.  Once he is paid for the work he did to fix the outlet and for the outdoor stuff, we can get that project done.  While he's here for that, I'm going to ask him for a recommendation for general contractor for future projects.  I've had no luck finding somebody that will do 'small' projects. All of the contractors I've talked to won't talk to me unless I'm willing to plunk down 10- plus thousand dollars on any given project that needs doing.  While I do have projects like that which I want done, ( new roof for the second time and the kitchen needs to be updated) I want to get the small stuff done and out of the way first. Getting the small stuff done first is momentum to get the big stuff done. 

I also found out that I can order things from Costco without buying a membership.  I think I'm the last person on the planet to know this, but I'm happy about it regardless.  There was one thing I wanted for our 'food storage' that I either haven't been able to find locally or didn't trust Amazon enough not to do the right thing. Costco does have a spending limit to avoid shipping fees ($75.00) and they apply a 5% surcharge on non-member orders.   From where I'm sitting, neither are a big deal.  I'm not going to waste my time going on their site to buy a single thing of soy sauce or whatever and the 5% surcharge is way cheaper then what it would cost in gas to physically go to the store.  The nearest Costco to us is over a half hour away, one way. 

Then there was the 'debate' with my doctors office over a prescription refill that could have been completely avoided if they had told me they sent a new script to the pharmacy.  Instead, I had to be lectured about how they won't refill it because I supposedly used all the refills even though the last time I had said script filled was in May. Once I told them the date of when the last time the script was filled, they revealed to me that they had sent in a new script in August, then gave me attitude about why I didn't know this. I guess I need to work on my mind reading skills.

Maybe the staff at my doctors office spends their free time calling to see if their meds have refills sent in without their knowing about it, I don't.  The less time I can spend talking to the people at my local pharmacy, the happier I am because they don't listen and are annoying to speak with. 

While I have the kitchen to myself, I need to quit stalling, get off my butt, and put some freezer meals together.

Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3982 Old Today at 3:57 PM
It is turning into a list day.  A list for stuff in the deep freeze, a WIP grocery list, a list of things that I need to order ( already did this) and what is starting to feel like a never-ending "To- Do" list. Along with the stuff  I ordered, I took the plunge and ordered a food saver / sealer thing. I've been dodging this bandwagon for a long time since I didn't feel it was necessary. However, since the whole mouse ordeal and the fact that we're storing food downstairs, I need a better plan than just relying on zip lock bags.  The one thing I didn't order was either a food safe bucket or a tote to keep sealed dry goods in.  We can get one during the week.

Speaking of zip lock bags, I bagged up the things of oatmeal ( two 2 pound boxes) we bought a week or so ago and stuck those in freezer.  I always keep things like flour in the freezer as I don't it to become buggy, but as I'm finding out, other things such as oatmeal can have the same problem.  Sticking such items in the freezer for 72 hours kills any larvae if freezer storage is a problem.  I also learned that things like yeast can be kept in the freezer; I never knew that. If stored this way, the yeast needs to be room temp before using.

Since I'm talking about food, but not what I'm making for dinner...

I don't claim any of these recipes as my own, but if anybody is interested in putting freezer meals together, the following is the list I'll be working with this upcoming week.  https://happymoneysaver.com/wp-cont...EEZER-MEALS.pdf

They're simple, no fancy ingredients, minimal chopping when it is required, and they don't use things like Cream of Whatever soups, ect... as I can't eat them. Too many ingredients that trigger food allergies.

Lion, Rhino, Camel
Page 160 of 160