Replies: 4190 (Who?), Viewed: 133061 times.
Page 168 of 168
Theorist
#4176 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 8:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
A new year! After last year, I sort of want to get a single wide and go be a hermit in the Nevada high desert. I could live in a root cellar/hobbit hole/fallout shelter/tomb

Edit: I'm not going to do that, family depends on me, but I'm getting old and they shouldn't depend on me and should learn to get by on their own. So, Instead I will shut the curtains, lock the door, stop visiting news websites, hide in the closet and just play the sims until I keel over and die. Unless the world suddenly decides to play nice, play fair and not be mean. Then I'll come out.

Edit: My wife is having full blown cognitive issues and is paranoid about the dog, a if the dog was out to get her. It's just kinda creepy. She's so angry all the time and I just don't want to say anything now. I'm worried she'll do something to the dog. She talks about trivial things from half a century ago, the whole "back when" thing e.g. avocado vs harvest wheat colored kitchen appliances.
y o

Is your wife physically okay? Is she a drinker? Sounds like she's having what we liver people call "H.E." (unless she has other physical issues causing this).

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Mad Poster
#4177 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 8:39 PM
The house is cold, and the heating thingy seems to be confused again (I don't think it understands temperature, because this is NOT 25C... Feels closer to 25F (although that's more like the outside temp right now... Why snow? I hate snow! Don't want snow)

Wrapped in a blanket, a bathrobe and wool socks, and I'm still cold. Stupid heater .
Mad Poster
#4178 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 8:01 AM
Shaking like a Chihuahua without its jacket.

It's really cold here lately. Not to mention, I'm panicking.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Scholar
#4179 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 6:36 PM
I moved country on Sunday and surprisingly my fingers have already deflated, so I'm kind of impressed. The weather isn't hugely different but apparently its enough for my fingers to get back to normal. I wonder how long the mysterious patches will last. But the water here is so hard(?) that my hands haven't been this dry in like 3 years and its basically been 3 days since I got here. It's wild yo.
Top Secret Researcher
#4180 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 6:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAC
y o

Is your wife physically okay? Is she a drinker? Sounds like she's having what we liver people call "H.E." (unless she has other physical issues causing this).

Her physician must have noticed the effects and he wants to do tests. I know about her physician's intent to test her because she's complaining about it.

I have a hypothesis based on this information:
"As people age, they lose neurons in the hippocampus, which decreases their ability to learn new information. Chronic THC exposure may hasten age-related loss of hippocampal neurons. In one study, rats exposed to THC every day for 8 months (approximately 30% of their lifespan) showed a level of nerve cell loss at 11 to 12 months of age that equaled that of unexposed animals twice their age."
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicati...m-effects-brain

It explains a couple of other things as well, so Occum's razor seems to suggest that this is a credible hypothesis. Occum's razor isn't science, it's just a guide as to what is the most likely hypothesis.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#4181 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 8:37 AM
A bit late as usual - I want to wish you all a happy new year.
I hope that, as the days go by, the year will get better for everyone of you.
Take care of yourselves, your family and your friends.
Mad Poster
#4182 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 7:00 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 8th Jan 2021 at 7:15 PM.
Just hanging on lately.

Been trying out new to me Japanese dishes. I actually am getting the hang of cooking.

Recently learned about parasocial relationships. Usually the cases involve fictional characters from all forms of media, children and adults show sympathy and empathy towards the characters.

This leads me back to a story when I told how the two-part series finale of episodes 45 & 46 of Sailor Moon (1990s) end up extending the series because children were upset of the of the Sailor Guardians' deaths in episode 45 (The episode title roughly translated to "Death of the Sailor Guardians: The Tragic Final Battle".) He scoffed at it being a big deal for children and I ask him about adults. I got him cornered in his trap of "What's up your sleeve?", and then he told of the funeral of Walter White after Breaking Bad ended, complete with a cardboard cut out of Bryan Cranston in the coffin.

Top Secret Researcher
#4183 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 7:17 PM
The problem with this Covid-19 distance learning thing, where the students "attend" by zoom meetings, is that I can see and hear what's going on.

Sims are better than us.
Scholar
#4184 Old 9th Jan 2021 at 9:57 AM
Do they not mute their mics when not actively answering a question? That's what my uni makes us do, same thing with the camera which we only turn on if we're presenting a group project..

Feeling strange, kind of sad but kind of not? I think its the change in routine contrast with being somewhere new. I think I mentioned in a post somewhere that for my studies I'm now in a different country (covid isn't stopping the uni from making such demands). Anyway, obviously I'm not yet used to being here cos its been like 6 days and stuff. But I guess its because I'm actually alone this year, like not even sharing my flat with anyone like last time. It's really silly but there's no one to share my birdthday with me, like no one to physically do that with like last time I was abroad so maybe thats why I'm not feeling as great as yesterday even though I was just as alone then . I mean sure the video calls were great and so were all the messages from my friends but its not the same.

I spotted a cupcake store the otherday, so I'll get me one or two to celebrate
Mad Poster
#4185 Old 9th Jan 2021 at 6:52 PM
Actually, pleased as punch.

Asshole, USA has been dealing with chicken riots at the McDonald's if you go South on Killer 31.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/chicken...parking-lot.amp

The police joked about it being a boycott on current and upcoming products in terms of menu items.

This isn't New Jersey's first rodeo with foul fowl. I remembered a few years ago around Thanksgiving that the 23,000 strong population of wild turkeys had a gang of turkeys attack the elderly and smash in plate glass windows!

Lab Assistant
#4186 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 7:45 PM
First class of the semester starts in a half hour. I’m really not excited at all. It’s my favorite subject but ever since what happened to me on the 4th, I’m having a hard time thinking about anything else. It’s constantly on my mind. My injuries are healing but emotionally I’m just defeated. It makes it really hard to focus on anything at all. Luckily today will probably mostly be syllabus stuff and talking about what versions of software we’ll be using. However, we will likely have to make introductions with mic and camera. I still have a black eye...

The heat is also out at my house and it is quite freezing, so I’m wrapped up in an electric blanket. I’m already cold all the time, and normally I sit in a hot bathtub when I’m super cold, but we don’t have hot water so I just have to pray my blanket will get warm enough in the right spots.
Scholar
#4187 Old 11th Jan 2021 at 10:13 PM
I hope you feel better soon and that your injuries get better asap.

Drink hot water/ tea to hear up and also wear a hat and wool socks. Layers save lives even if you're just chilling indoors
Lab Assistant
#4188 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 5:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa1500
I hope you feel better soon and that your injuries get better asap.

Drink hot water/ tea to hear up and also wear a hat and wool socks. Layers save lives even if you're just chilling indoors

Thank you, I appreciate this!
Lab Assistant
#4189 Old 14th Jan 2021 at 5:51 PM
I like my programming II class a surprising amount. We’re given a lot of creative freedom with our projects already. Whereas in programming I we had to make our games look a specific way, we’re allowed to do pretty much anything as long as it meets the programming requirements. We’re given directions on how the game is supposed to work, and we’re pretty much let loose after that. Our judgment of design and such is scored, and the lack of distinct instructions makes it a much bigger challenge, but it’s cool not having such strict rules about what it has to look like.

My professor is also very cool lmao.

My classmate decided to do this assignment with a start scene where the instructions are, but I decided to have a button to show and hide the instructions. A classmate will decide to set their UI up one way and I’ll set mine up another. It’s pretty cool.
Mad Poster
#4190 Old 14th Jan 2021 at 10:27 PM
I had my therapy session today.

I told Ms. CS about the 2 meter high penguin selling me real estate in Antarctica in the freezer section at ShopRite and the speaking to an audience of giant eyeballs on identity to a prestigious college and it both ends with me screaming as I race to the front of the store or college parking lot and requesting one "Jonesy Garcia" to bring the car around.

I don't know of anyone named Jonesy Garcia. His name sounds too stereotypical. The dream cuts out by the time I burst through the doors and run to the car.

Then I had somen noodles with skipjack broth like a soup and made reconstituted apple juice with filtered water.

Still gathering my credentials to back up for my streaming apps.

Top Secret Researcher
#4191 Old Today at 4:47 AM
I miss eating fish and chips in the student union cafeteria. I eat fish now, but the fish is a lot smaller than it was back then. I'd go let the psychology department use me as a lab rat, which paid $5. Then I'd be able to afford fish and chips in the cafeteria. This was when I was working on a BSEE. I already had a BS in physics, and had flunked out of the Ph.D. program because the head of the solid state group didn't like my doing an thesis under an material science professor, and he said no way would I he allow me to work my thesis. No thesis and my efforts were pointless. I knew I could get a BSEE and earn as much as a Ph.D. in physics, so that's what I did.
I had hope back then; but I was also afraid for my future. Jobs, even in engineering were getting scarce. I was also looking for a wife and knew that my best choice was while I was still in college. Once I was working, I wouldn't meet anyone.
It wasn't a bad time to be a student as engineering and physics were isolated (exempt) from the early political correctness of the time so all I had to worry about was engineering and physics. I could also, by working 35 hours a week as a janitor, earn enough to pay for tuition, fees, books and the room and board that my mom charged me. You can't do that now, which is sad. I picked up some extra money as teaching Electrical engineering labs, having had experience teaching physics labs.
Then I blew it by getting a job outside my field in for a company that didn't value electrical engineers. I was doing work that wasn't that much more difficult than wiring stereos.
But fish and chips were good. Especially with dark beer.

Sims are better than us.
Page 168 of 168