Replies: 100 (Who?), Viewed: 12393 times.
Page 1 of 5
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2018 at 9:44 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 26th Jun 2018 at 8:43 PM.
Default Populating Lots? (Less or More about Late Night type of community lots)
Suggestions?

Tips&Tricks taken from this thread...

Attracting:
- NRAAS SP has a function called "rapid immigration".; Move in families manually through edit town ; Increase Population.
- Edit deviceconfig.yml
- More Sims In Clubs.
- Place down certain rabbit holes (...) on the lot, as they attract sims so use it to your advantage.
- Shimrod's mods.
- Reduce the number of community lots.
- Converting a world from suburb into a city to fill the nightlife spots.
- Spa can be turned into amusement parks by adding a bistro to it and setting the lot as a Hangout.
- Sims are attrated to the stores, BG restaurants, hospital, theatre, stadium, and city hall.
- Overwatch fixes broken combo-rabbit holes and respective ones attract sims.
- Arcade are very strong attractors
- Salons are strong attractors.
- Exclusive loungers are most popular of them, followed by Fusion, and the least - Vampire.
- Local watering hole bars are the most popular of them, followed by Sports, and the least - Dive.
- Disco clubs are the most popular of them, followed by Dance, and the least - Pool.

Repelling:
- Set every lot that has a rabbithole on it (except for the one you wanna pull sims to) to "No Visitors Allowed", especially and even those remote lots that has no any.
- Turn some Big Parks into Small parks.
- Arboretum & vault of antiquity in art gallery works well by keeping the lot less crowded.
- Bouncer ropes deter visitors.
- Rabbitholes that won't attract visitors alone are the military base, the criminal hideout, police station, spa, science lab, the mausoleum, the film studio and all combo-rabbitholes (unless you use the mod).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
On an additional note, three of the parks are right next to each other, so I can easily observe which one scores the best. The Small Park is almost always empty but between the two Big Parks the clear winner is the one with playground equipment. It's the only one that also attracts children. Therefore I get the impression that certain object do also have a meta-autonomy attraction score. A Big Park without a playground, on the other hand, hardly attracts children, only adults.

Three more notes:
- If your town hasn't many pet owners you can do away with all dog parks, cat jungles and horse training grounds. Nobody will visit them.
- If you want some sort of nightlife in a suburban world you will be better served with the University Life lot types instead of the Late Night ones.
- The Showtime venues are next to useless in a world without a lot of Sims (both residents and homeless) in the performing professions; the catch though is, once you've got a lot of performers then these will be the only ones who attend the Simfests. These lot types are the biggest let-down in any other town but Starlight Shores; and even there I have halved the number of performance venues and turned the other half into arcades, bars and clubs. The arcade, btw, is now the busiest lot in Starlight Shores.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 1:08 AM
NRAAS SP has a function called "rapid immigration"

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Scholar
#3 Old 7th Jun 2018 at 3:19 PM
I would go into edti town and select a family to move into town whenever I want to have new immigrants arrive in town so my first settlers have neighbors to meet.I also make them build their house like the first settlers and will add other families the same way gradually over time with gaps between each arrival so they get to settle in before new families start arriving.I also play the town instead of just a family.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 6:13 AM
Thought does it help with community lots?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 7:36 AM
OH! You're talking about populating community lots.

- Well, first check your deviceconfig. Make sure CPU rating is 5. If it is not make the following changes to your graphicsrules.sgr. (back up graphicsrules.sgr first)


- Different community lots have different attraction, but there is a mod to make clubs/bars more populated: Link
- Lastly, you can always add a rabbithole on a lot to increase population.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Instructor
#6 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 7:36 AM
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 9:44 AM Last edited by Don Babilon : 9th Jun 2018 at 9:55 AM.
A lot of this depends on how the world that you are playing is structured and set-up. Every lot has a certain rating that determines how many Sims (may) show up at any moment of time, ranging from 0 to how many Sims your computer can handle (there is a certain maximum number of Sims that I can't remember right now).
So, before you start editing your game files or adding mods there are several things you can do manually to increase the visitor rate:
1. Set every lot that has a rabbithole on it to "No Visitors Allowed". If the rabbithole is interactive (grocery store, bookstore, hospital etc.) Sims will still use it but they will only come to visit the rabbithole building, not the lot.
2. Reduce the number of community lots. Not every world needs three instances of every community lot type. Especially the Late Night and Showtime venues; those are pretty wasted on worlds that are neither cities nor focused on performers. The disco club in Bridgeport is always full, while the same club in Sunset Valley is always empty.
A supernatural hangout in a world with only a handful of supernaturals is also a waste of space.
3. Close down lots that are very remote; if a beach lot, for example, is at the far end of the map and not connected to any road, it might be good to set that to ""No Visitors Allowed"". Otherwise there will always be a small group of inactive Sims walking there and thus spend the whole day just doing that. Or if you've got a fishing spot far up in the mountains, close that, too. You can still visit it and go fishing, but inactives won't go there anymore.
4. Increase your population.

This thread contains a lot of additional information, too: Multi-Function Lots

ETA: I don't use any mods for this and I did not edit my graphics rules file but following these things I have some lots in certain worlds with up to 20 visitors.

ETA2: Maybe you could tell us what world you are playing. If I have it I can have a look on how it could be improved.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
A lot of this depends on how the world that you are playing is structured and set-up. Every lot has a certain rating that determines how many Sims (may) show up at any moment of time, ranging from 0 to how many Sims your computer can handle (there is a certain maximum number of Sims that I can't remember right now).
So, before you start editing your game files or adding mods there are several things you can do manually to increase the visitor rate:
1. Set every lot that has a rabbithole on it to "No Visitors Allowed". If the rabbithole is interactive (grocery store, bookstore, hospital etc.) Sims will still use it but they will only come to visit the rabbithole building, not the lot.
2. Reduce the number of community lots. Not every world needs three instances of every community lot type. Especially the Late Night and Showtime venues; those are pretty wasted on worlds that are neither cities nor focused on performers. The disco club in Bridgeport is always full, while the same club in Sunset Valley is always empty.
A supernatural hangout in a world with only a handful of supernaturals is also a waste of space.
3. Close down lots that are very remote; if a beach lot, for example, is at the far end of the map and not connected to any road, it might be good to set that to ""No Visitors Allowed"". Otherwise there will always be a small group of inactive Sims walking there and thus spend the whole day just doing that. Or if you've got a fishing spot far up in the mountains, close that, too. You can still visit it and go fishing, but inactives won't go there anymore.
4. Increase your population.

This thread contains a lot of additional information, too: Multi-Function Lots

ETA: I don't use any mods for this and I did not edit my graphics rules file but following these things I have some lots in certain worlds with up to 20 visitors.


@Don Babilon

Thanks. This wasn't for me, but things make sense now that you've pointed them out. I tried using rapid immigration a few weeks ago. It worked, kind of. After the furnished lots were filled, I kept getting a message that I needed to 'build more' lots, but , there were still lots that needed sims to move into them. It is only a guess on my part that this error kept occurring because those 'ignored' lots were not furnished. (?)

The message annoyed the crap out of me, so that save is currently sitting idle in a folder until I figure out how to fix it.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#9 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 12:28 PM
I'm not sure whether we aren't confusing two distinct things here: populating a world with Sims as residents and getting those Sims to actually go about town and visit (populate) community lots.

I don't know how Nraas handles populating empty residential lots but for a house to qualify as livable it needs enough beds and above all a fridge, a trashcan and a mailbox. Without a fridge you cannot move Sims in (except under certain conditions in Edit Town and in-game). When I still played with story progression on deleting the fridges was the way to guarantee that a house stayed empty.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th Jun 2018 at 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
I'm not sure whether we aren't confusing two distinct things here: populating a world with Sims as residents and getting those Sims to actually go about town and visit (populate) community lots.

I don't know how Nraas handles populating empty residential lots but for a house to qualify as livable it needs enough beds and above all a fridge, a trashcan and a mailbox. Without a fridge you cannot move Sims in (except under certain conditions in Edit Town and in-game). When I still played with story progression on deleting the fridges was the way to guarantee that a house stayed empty.


You're right. They are two different things.

I will take / apply the advice for both.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2018 at 11:29 PM
Yesterday I used made use of the advice of @Don Babilon for lots and houses. Changing rabbitholes over to "No Visitors" was the easy part. Making sure all residential lots had what they needed was a PITA as I kept losing track of what house I had done already. Later I was told what I was doing wrong with Rapid Immigration.

Long story short, I now have sims everywhere. I have never seen so many kids wait at the door of the school in the morning, ever. Making these 'simple' changes is well worth the time and effort.

Thanks, Don.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#12 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 1:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Yesterday I used made use of the advice of Don Babilon for lots and houses. Changing rabbitholes over to "No Visitors" was the easy part.


It is all about population count really. I mean, I use to do the thing too where I made sure all the rabbithole lots are "no visitors." In many worlds, this is the default. The main reason for this is because of 2 concepts.

1) Less available lots to visit means more sims on lots that allow visitors.
2) Rabbithole lots are essentially blank lots, so having sims stay there is pointless. Also, rabbithole are "attractors" so by allowing sims to stay on a rabbithole lot, they are attracted by rabbithole then linger on a blank lot.

Now there's a couple things to notice about this.

1) If you notice, a lot of times a lot can seem "blank" until your sim arrives. Then all of the sudden sims start showing up. That's because TS3 has a "stalker" mode simulation. Sims actually follow you around. Awesome mod can disable this function and I've done it before. This makes the simulation more real, sims are not pulled to whichever lot you are on. However, I find that then a lot of times lots are not being filled. This doesn't mean lots will always be filled b/c you are there, but it does mean that sims on other lots may be pulled from that lot to your lot. So in this case, it really doesn't matter how many available lots you have and so having a lot of the "no visitor" lots won't really matter.

2) Your available visitable sims are based on your population count and time of day. My town is overbloated with 300 residents, this alone keeps my lots full no matter what I do with it. The two mods above which pushes services and townies to community lots will also increase your visitable sims population. Now keep in mind, after 8 am typically, most sims are at work or school, so your visitable sims counts are down, especially if you are using NRAAS SP and has "push to work" on. This is why in vacation worlds, they refuse to assign jobs to the locals.

So with this information, what I'm saying is, do not be too concerned over how many available lots you have for visitors and how many you should turn off. I actually convert all my rabbitholes to real lots, so I virtually have no "no visitor" lots and my lots populate just fine without any other mods to push sims to lots.

Also, remember, rabbitholes are strong attractors. Use that to your advantage and combine lots. I combined a food register market with a diner rabbithole, a cafeteria with a bistro rabbithole, etc.. and they're always packed.





When I create megamalls, rabbitholes are essential to populating those malls. Rabbitholes can break the max sim threshold coded in lot type. Virtually you can have unlimited sims attracted to those lots.

Screenshots

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 1:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon

1) If you notice, a lot of times a lot can seem "blank" until your sim arrives. Then all of the sudden sims start showing up. That's because TS3 has a "stalker" mode simulation. Sims actually follow you around. Awesome mod can disable this function and I've done it before. This makes the simulation more real, sims are not pulled to whichever lot you are on. However, I find that then a lot of times lots are not being filled. This doesn't mean lots will always be filled b/c you are there, but it does mean that sims on other lots may be pulled from that lot to your lot. So in this case, it really doesn't matter how many available lots you have and so having a lot of the "no visitor" lots won't really matter.

2) Your available visitable sims are based on your population count and time of day. My town is overbloated with 300 residents, this alone keeps my lots full no matter what I do with it. The two mods above which pushes services and townies to community lots will also increase your visitable sims population. Now keep in mind, after 8 am typically, most sims are at work or school, so your visitable sims counts are down, especially if you are using NRAAS SP and has "push to work" on. This is why in vacation worlds, they refuse to assign jobs to the locals.



I have a military base in my current hood, no problem. What I didn't pay attention to is what else is on this particular lot. For lack of a better description, it has a 'bunker' that is complete with a full kitchen, gym, computer room, entertainment / game room, full bath with showers and one room dedicated to sleeping as it has wall to wall twin beds. It's a cool idea and when I play one of my military households, it is handy thing to have. Instead of having stinky, cranky, hungry sims when they come home, they can eat, shower and chill before I have to deal with them.

The problem is, all the other sims in town hung out there as well. They show up, raid the fridge, break the showers, toilets, computers, ect... In a nutshell, all the townie sims would spend all of their time underground, literally. From map view I started following cars to see where they were going at 2 AM game time, and that is where they would end up instead of going to a bar or whatever.

I haven't spent time on that particular lot since yesterday, so I can't say if changing the lot to "No Visitors" has made a huge difference or not. Part of the change I've seen is simply because I increased the population, but I'm now finding sims pretty much everywhere unlike before where I had to look for them. I understand that there will be lulls with sim activity depending on the time of day, but there should always be some sims out, doing something.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 2:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
The problem is, all the other sims in town hung out there as well. They show up, raid the fridge, break the showers, toilets, computers, ect... In a nutshell, all the townie sims would spend all of their time underground, literally. From map view I started following cars to see where they were going at 2 AM game time, and that is where they would end up instead of going to a bar or whatever.


That's interesting, what "lot type" was it originally? The military base is not really a strong attractor, it is one of the career attractors. So I'm thinking the lot type before was the actual attractor. In my Riverview military base, I built a small gym with martial arts stuff, shower, restrooms. I have the lot type set to "academy." The RH doesn't seem to attract anyone, but the lot type attracts people who have traits that are attracted to academies. It is moderately filled, at most 5-6 sims only. And they leave after they're done.

If you have it on hangout or even visitor allowed, you'll attract all kinds of sims to that lot that you may not want on a military base. And those lots may keep sims on there longer. I recommend setting it to academy or gym, where sims come to get their workout and then just leave.

As far as breaking furnitures etc..., that's one thing I can never get around. I'm tempted to find a "no broken stuff" mod to stop things from breaking, but sometimes I do want some things to be broken. Perhaps there's one just for community lot. Hot tubs get broken the most easily in my game and it drives me nuts.

But if you want a janitor, you can get Arsil's custom role mod and add a janitor to work on these lots. Give them the neat trait and they will keep your lot clean.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 2:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
That's interesting, what "lot type" was it originally? The military base is not really a strong attractor, it is one of the career attractors. So I'm thinking the lot type before was the actual attractor. In my Riverview military base, I built a small gym with martial arts stuff, shower, restrooms. I have the lot type set to "academy." The RH doesn't seem to attract anyone, but the lot type attracts people who have traits that are attracted to academies. It is moderately filled, at most 5-6 sims only. And they leave after they're done.

If you have it on hangout or even visitor allowed, you'll attract all kinds of sims to that lot that you may not want on a military base. And those lots may keep sims on there longer. I recommend setting it to academy or gym, where sims come to get their workout and then just leave.

As far as breaking furnitures etc..., that's one thing I can never get around. I'm tempted to find a "no broken stuff" mod to stop things from breaking, but sometimes I do want some things to be broken. Perhaps there's one just for community lot. Hot tubs get broken the most easily in my game and it drives me nuts.

But if you want a janitor, you can get Arsil's custom role mod and add a janitor to work on these lots. Give them the neat trait and they will keep your lot clean.


I'm playing a custom hood. I have no idea what the lot was originally. If it were just sims that are in the military career that used it, I wouldn't care, but that wasn't the case. Sims were bringing their toddlers, children and everybody was showing up. I love my military sims, but my entire hood isn't made up of military sims. I'll change it to academy and see what happens.

I agree that sometimes things should be broken, but it was like a tornado blew through every day. It was a hot mess, all the time.

Thanks for the help. I don't really want to add another mod, but I'll look into it and keep it in my proverbial tool box if I want to use it.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#16 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 2:31 AM Last edited by nitromon : 11th Jun 2018 at 3:17 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Sims were bringing their toddlers, children and everybody was showing up. I love my military sims, but my entire hood isn't made up of military sims. I'll change it to academy and see what happens.


It was most likely "visitors allowed" or "hangout." Funny thing is I actually have a police station a lot like your lot right now. It has a cafeteria, gym, shower, and jail cells to sleep in. I originally designed it like your idea, I want cops to come to work and maybe hangout afterward. Instead, cops all go home after their shift and I get all these civilians coming in with their toddlers and pets. But so far though, it doesn't have that many visitors.

It is currently set to "visitors allowed," but I'm thinking of changing the lot type as well. I have a custom cop on there to keep it clean, but mostly b/c the visitors have been light, so nothing much has been broken. Btw, in building mode, you can shift click (probably with testingcheatenabled) on the doors to lock certain part of the lot you don't want sims to use if you want to keep them out of your kitchen. nevermind, that would lock out your sim too.

I think it is possible to use NRAAS MC to specifically upgrade all the appliances on a specific lot to "unbreakable." I haven't tried it yet, but I remember reading about it. Could be wrong. Need an expert in here. @igazor

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 4:28 AM Last edited by igazor : 11th Jun 2018 at 4:43 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I think it is possible to use NRAAS MC to specifically upgrade all the appliances on a specific lot to "unbreakable." I haven't tried it yet, but I remember reading about it. Could be wrong. Need an expert in here. @igazor

Sorry, we're all out of experts currently. We have more on order, but there is apparently some sort of backlog happening.

There is a MC command to fix broken objects on a lot, not upgrade. I believe the command you are thinking of is from DebugEnabler, but I can only get it to show on mailboxes which suggests it's only for residential lots and their objects (not the mailboxes themselves). Perhaps the lot types need to be flipped to Residential temporarily for this to work?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:03 AM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 11th Jun 2018 at 8:35 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
A lot of this depends on how the world that you are playing is structured and set-up. Every lot has a certain rating that determines how many Sims (may) show up at any moment of time, ranging from 0 to how many Sims your computer can handle (there is a certain maximum number of Sims that I can't remember right now).
So, before you start editing your game files or adding mods there are several things you can do manually to increase the visitor rate:
1. Set every lot that has a rabbithole on it to "No Visitors Allowed". If the rabbithole is interactive (grocery store, bookstore, hospital etc.) Sims will still use it but they will only come to visit the rabbithole building, not the lot.
2. Reduce the number of community lots. Not every world needs three instances of every community lot type. Especially the Late Night and Showtime venues; those are pretty wasted on worlds that are neither cities nor focused on performers. The disco club in Bridgeport is always full, while the same club in Sunset Valley is always empty.
A supernatural hangout in a world with only a handful of supernaturals is also a waste of space.
3. Close down lots that are very remote; if a beach lot, for example, is at the far end of the map and not connected to any road, it might be good to set that to ""No Visitors Allowed"". Otherwise there will always be a small group of inactive Sims walking there and thus spend the whole day just doing that. Or if you've got a fishing spot far up in the mountains, close that, too. You can still visit it and go fishing, but inactives won't go there anymore.
4. Increase your population.

This thread contains a lot of additional information, too: Multi-Function Lots

ETA: I don't use any mods for this and I did not edit my graphics rules file but following these things I have some lots in certain worlds with up to 20 visitors.

ETA2: Maybe you could tell us what world you are playing. If I have it I can have a look on how it could be improved.

I tried will try yours first, since it's involved messing around with vanilla options. If that fails. I'll be sure to use other peoples input from here. Thanks.

And yes I can tell what world I'm playing in, which is Sunset Valley. I just only have problems with Late Night Shipped community lots, which yes all those clubs-lounges-bars-haangouts.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#19 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by igazor
Sorry, we're all out of experts currently. We have more on order, but there is apparently some sort of backlog happening.

There is a MC command to fix broken objects on a lot, not upgrade. I believe the command you are thinking of is from DebugEnabler, but I can only get it to show on mailboxes which suggests it's only for residential lots and their objects (not the mailboxes themselves). Perhaps the lot types need to be flipped to Residential temporarily for this to work?
I can use DebugEnabler's Upgrade command on all lot types and objects.

And as regards the main topic, well, of course you won't have any lack of visitors with a population count of 300. But I usually try to keep my population below the 100 mark and this is where controlling the visitor flow becomes almost like a separate game in itself. (I did play a lot of city building games before I picked up simming.)

My current world has 63 residents at the moment, some 15 of which are children or teens, so, in essence, I have roughly 40 Sims to juggle around. The world has several park lots, which are moderately high attractors, 3 fishing spots, which attract Anglers and Sims with at least one skill point in fishing, 2 graveyards, which does attract occasional visitors, 2 art galleries and, above all, all Late Night venues. In its default set-up this world suffers from empty Late Night bars.
In order to improve that I did the following:
1. Converted the world into a city world by editing the .world file in S3PE. This is the major thing to do when you intend to play with a lot of Late Night lots for several reasons: First, the attraction score for nightlife spots is higher in city worlds than suburban worlds. Second, the residents' work schedules in city worlds is more in line with the venues' opening times; no one visits a disco club in Sunset Valley after 10pm, except for Sims in the criminal, music and culinary careers, because meta-autonomy sends all other Sims home around 10pm.
2. Turned all rabbithole lots into No Visitors, because I don't need stalkers on the school lot or spies on the science and military lots. The world has one lot with the theater, bookstore and grocer rabbithole. I set it to No Visitors, too, because it will be one of the busiest lots anyway due to the pull from these three RH types.
3. Turned some of the Big Parks into Small Parks, because these have a lower attraction score and I'd rather have more Sims in one park than next to none in all of them.
4. I placed the arboretum and vault of antiquity RHs on the two art gallery lots. Both RHs have a moderate intensity so it won't turn the museums into rally sites.
5. I did turn another RH lot into a hangout, though, with the bistro and spa RHs on it and a second building that I equipped with typical hangout furnishings. That lot is now a multi-function super-lot. While the spa doesn't attract visitors the bistro does and combined with the hangout score and the objects Sims will love this place. Yesterday I counted some 15 Sims at 1am. That's a quarter of my overall population count!
6. I also deleted most of the bouncer ropes in the Late Night venues. For some reason the mere presence of a bouncer rope seems to deter visitors right from the start, i.e. none turn up.

On an additional note, three of the parks are right next to each other, so I can easily observe which one scores the best. The Small Park is almost always empty but between the two Big Parks the clear winner is the one with playground equipment. It's the only one that also attracts children. Therefore I get the impression that certain object do also have a meta-autonomy attraction score. A Big Park without a playground, on the other hand, hardly attracts children, only adults.

Three more notes:
- If your town hasn't many pet owners you can do away with all dog parks, cat jungles and horse training grounds. Nobody will visit them.
- If you want some sort of nightlife in a suburban world you will be better served with the University Life lot types instead of the Late Night ones.
- The Showtime venues are next to useless in a world without a lot of Sims (both residents and homeless) in the performing professions; the catch though is, once you've got a lot of performers then these will be the only ones who attend the Simfests. These lot types are the biggest let-down in any other town but Starlight Shores; and even there I have halved the number of performance venues and turned the other half into arcades, bars and clubs. The arcade, btw, is now the busiest lot in Starlight Shores.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#20 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:20 AM
Double post, in order to keep things tidier.

There are, of course, many other factors that determine how lively your town is. One of them is the career distribution as careers will also encourage specific behaviour during off-times. Criminals, for example, are more likely to visit the graveyard at night and are the ones who fill up dive bars. Gyms are autonomously hit by athletes, military staff and criminals.

Trait distribution is also important, as are skill points. If you start a town where the residents have no skill points anywhere try changing that and watch the change in town activity.
Examples: junkyards will remain empty without any Sims with points in inventing; dive spots will only be visited by Sims with points in scuba diving; same with fishing spots.

A lot of this is determined in the Venues.xml file. Nikel once converted it into a handy Excel sheet. Let's see whether I can retrieve the link.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:37 AM
Most community lots with rabbit holes (like the one that includes stores&theater) that seem to have undefine assigment from the looks of it. Also If it helps, I evicted every premade household before moving in my own sim. (Sunset Valley).

@nitromon would it help If I hid rabbit holes in real building lots under in a basement with no access to the room they are present? I would like to attract seems without 'em going to the rabbit holes but stay above ground. I hope that won't cause tantrum for routing.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
(...)

And yes I can tell what world I'm playing in, which is Sunset Valley.
Sunset Valley? OK, let's see whether I remember what I did there.

1. All rabbithole lots set to No Visitors Allowed, including, and above all, Mirabello Plaza.
2. Set the remote Beach lot in that far-off bay to No Visitors as well as the lot underneath the Wolff manor and the little park between the Bunch and Steel households
3. I've added the UL arcade on the 40x40 lot next to Christopher Steel, built an elixir and consignment store in the empty house between Claire Ursine and the Goddard household, a laundromat (neat Sims are addicted to it) on the 30x20 lot next to the Bunch family and a fusion lounge on the 40x30 lot opposite that spot. There's also a blank 30x30 community on the street leading to the French family; there I placed the Business as Usual bistro lot, but removed all the bistro stuff and refurbished it to become a hangout with a bar, pool table and nectar racks.
4. Added roughly a dozen new Sims.
5. Arboretum went to the fishing spot between the Altos and Landgraabs, Vault of Antiquity into the now No Visitors park between the Bunchs and Steel

That's almost all I did there. No salon, no other LN venues, no performance venues, no festival grounds. I did upgrade the existing community lots with lots of new objects though (easels and science equipment in the library, a bar in the art gallery, pool stuff in the pools, a sauna in the gym, massage tables on pool lots and the gym, a hot tub here and there, trampoline in the gym, more playground stuff in the central park).
So far, it's turned out nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Most community lots with rabbit holes (like the one that includes stores&theater) that seem to have undefine assigment from the looks of it.
That's because Sunset Valley was made before the lot assignment system was added.

Quote:
Also If it helps, I evicted every premade household before moving in my own sim. (Sunset Valley).
How are they set-up? Do they have jobs, friends and coworkers, skills?

Quote:
@nitromon would it help If I hid rabbit holes in real building lots under in a basement with no access to the room they are present? I would like to attract seems without 'em going to the rabbit holes but stay above ground. I hope that won't cause tantrum for routing.
That's not possible. Sims need access to the rabbitholes.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 8:55 AM
Changed a few bit. That Beach and Stadium (though the latter threw me a warning that a 'special building' will have to be deleted'.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Changed a few bit. That Beach and Stadium (though the latter threw me a warning that a 'special building' will have to be deleted'.


Um... I think that should be ok... but I think I'm using a mod which lets me save without losing community/residential items... might be one of the NRAAS mods or the Buzzler's buildbuyrestrictionchoker mod: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=450059

And as others have said, you can't block off a rabbithole. But don't worry about sims going to rabbitholes though, a lot of them wont even go to the rabbithole once pulled to the lot, others even if they're in the rabbithole, they never stay long in the rabbithole. Once they come out, they will stay on the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
My current world has 63 residents at the moment, some 15 of which are children or teens, so, in essence, I have roughly 40 Sims to juggle around.


Wow, how is that even possible? Are you playing a small custom world?

Had I knew Riverview was this huge, I wouldn't have started my new game here. I think Bridgeport/SV is just about right. Right now I'm having some major issues with loading b/c the game keeps crashing during loading, I had to reload it sometimes 2-3 times before it loads. This other day I had to do another elders culling to reduce population by 30 and free up some housing.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#25 Old 11th Jun 2018 at 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Changed a few bit. That Beach and Stadium (though the latter threw me a warning that a 'special building' will have to be deleted'.
I think you can safely ignore that message. Changing a community lot from one type to another doesn't delete anything. Maybe it did in the past but it doesn't now, or at least I am not aware of anything missing afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
(...)
Wow, how is that even possible? Are you playing a small custom world?
(...)
More recent EA worlds don't have that many more inhabitants. They are all under 100 in any case.
(ETA: Isla Paradiso, for example, has 56/60 - 4 Sims are pregnant)

The world I am currently playing is, I think, medium sized. At least there are still quite a few unoccupied lots in it. I could add, hm, maybe 15 more families, until I begin to run out of space.
Page 1 of 5
Back to top