Replies: 6 (Who?), Viewed: 4371 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2019 at 9:29 PM
Default Island Counters Corner Unit Solid White Shadow when connected as corner
As shown in the image, when a corner module is added to my island counters, the shadow for the corner portion turns solid white. As can be seen, the shadow on the floor is normal for the other ends, it is only when connected by a corner unit that the white shadow pops in.

These mesh packages were created using Numenor's templates, and everything works as expected except for the corner island unit shadow issue.

The island counters are slaved to the main, master counters package, so I have attached both.

I know that either something is not linked properly or perhaps something missing, but I'm afraid counters are almost beyond my limits to figure things out

Your help will be greatly appreciated since after, what...12 or so years of having made these, I'm finally getting around to getting them ready to upload!
Screenshots
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar OBJ-MESH_DepressionEra1930s_WholesomeLife_Kitchen-Island_Ivory-Bone_Mar13_Aligeth.rar (51.6 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Island Counters Package (Slave Object)
File Type: rar OBJ-MESH_DepressionEra1930s_WholesomeLife_Kitchen-Counters_Ivory-Bone_Mar13_Aligeth.rar (191.9 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Counters Package (Master)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 5:25 PM
@Aligeth

Your package uses a different texture for the groundshadow than the one in Numenor's template. You either need to to redo the UV mapping of your groundshadow mesh so the parts you want to be dark overlap the lighter parts of the texture, or replace your texture with the original from the template. The textures for shadows work kind of like an old time photo negative - light=shadow, black=no shadow or white.

___________________________

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 7:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4RE
@Aligeth

Your package uses a different texture for the groundshadow than the one in Numenor's template. You either need to to redo the UV mapping of your groundshadow mesh so the parts you want to be dark overlap the lighter parts of the texture, or replace your texture with the original from the template. The textures for shadows work kind of like an old time photo negative - light=shadow, black=no shadow or white.


Honestly, I've tried dozens of times to fix this, but none of it helps the groundshadow on the island counters.

I did replace the shadow texture to include the portion for the handles/pulls, no problems doing that. Anything tried to remap or adjust the mapping on the groundshadow mesh does nothing good. If I remap each section that uses a groundshadow, they all turn white. If I remap only the corner section that contains the groundshadow, only it turns white, while the others are normal.

I did notice something I've never seen before however. And its an inexplicable clue, at least to me.

IF I place the island counters, including the corner bit on open ground, no walls....all shadows are NORMAL.

The moment I put the island counters with the corner INSIDE four wall....the groundshadow turns white.

At a loss now.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 8:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aligeth
Honestly, I've tried dozens of times to fix this, but none of it helps the groundshadow on the island counters.

I did replace the shadow texture to include the portion for the handles/pulls, no problems doing that. Anything tried to remap or adjust the mapping on the groundshadow mesh does nothing good. If I remap each section that uses a groundshadow, they all turn white. If I remap only the corner section that contains the groundshadow, only it turns white, while the others are normal.

I did notice something I've never seen before however. And its an inexplicable clue, at least to me.

IF I place the island counters, including the corner bit on open ground, no walls....all shadows are NORMAL.

The moment I put the island counters with the corner INSIDE four wall....the groundshadow turns white.

At a loss now.


That is really strange about the inside-the-walls thing, but still hopefully an important clue. Maybe something to do with the placement BHAVs or even whatever caused Numenor to use only one mesh for the corners instead of two like for the other pieces.

What I said before doesn't really make sense, now that I think about it more. If it were true, it should affect more than just the corners. I have a really busy weekend, but I'll play around with them in my game this next week and see if we can figure something out. I find this problem very intriguing and want to know the cause.

Out of curiosity: when inside, are you using floor tiles as well? I'm wondering if the shadow mesh for the corner just needs to be raised a tiny bit; or replaced with a copy of the original in case yours was accidentally altered to cause the white shadow.

___________________________

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
The Plutonite Prosecutor
staff: moderator
#5 Old 18th Jul 2019 at 9:45 PM
Hi
You used the repository technique.And when you do this you have to make sure that the slave objects textures points to the correct Master texture. the material definition of the Shadow texture from the Island counter is pointing to the wrong material definition. Here is the counter ingame


Open your Slave counter Island in SimPE 1-Click on shape
2-In the resource list, select the first shape untagged0


2a-Under the parts select the line counterquaint_groundshadow_alpha
3-in the material definition file, highlight and copy everything


4-go back to resource list and select the island corner shape untagged0
4a-under parts highlight the ground shadow
5-in the material definition file, paste the material definition file name you copied from 3 above
then commit and save.Donot use fix integrity

Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 4:32 AM
AdonisPluto
Your beautifully made and concise instruction worked to perfection. I no longer have an offensive white square for a shadow! My shadows for handles and pulls are also all intact and working A-OKAY.

I will note, just for future, that although there is no longer a white square, an actual ground shadow is not visibly produced when you place the corner piece. I looked at numerous different MAXIS ones however, and noticed that while some of them do seem to create the shadow for the corner section, others do not. So...weird!

I think that at this point I should call them a done job and not fret further about that; and that doing absolutely anything to the groundshadow meshes and mapping would be utter insanity! Hehe.

Thanks once again folks for your kind, thoughtful, and gracious help.

Love ya all,
Aligeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisPluto
Hi
You used the repository technique.And when you do this you have to make sure that the slave objects textures points to the correct Master texture. the material definition of the Shadow texture from the Island counter is pointing to the wrong material definition. Here is the counter ingame


Open your Slave counter Island in SimPE 1-Click on shape
2-In the resource list, select the first shape untagged0


2a-Under the parts select the line counterquaint_groundshadow_alpha
3-in the material definition file, highlight and copy everything


4-go back to resource list and select the island corner shape untagged0
4a-under parts highlight the ground shadow
5-in the material definition file, paste the material definition file name you copied from 3 above
then commit and save.Donot use fix integrity

The Plutonite Prosecutor
staff: moderator
#7 Old 19th Jul 2019 at 4:58 AM
Good to know that it worked. Yes you are correct. It's funny how some corner islands have shadows showing and some don't. I have known that for long.
Back to top