Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2019 at 4:07 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Zephyrs in custom worlds
Hi everyone.
I've been messing around with Zephyrs, trying to get them to work in the new sunset valley world. I’ve managed to get them to work! It was quite laborious but now if I tell a sim to go somewhere they will autonomously use the zephyr, which will go around the town to 6 stations. Pretty much just followed the instructions in this thread to get it to work - http://modthesims.info/t/514857
There are a few problems though:
The buildings are not selectable. If I select a stop I can’t click ‘go to town station’, it is only able to be used autonomously.
The sim enters the closest station then teleports to station 0 (the start) and then does a complete route before teleporting to the station closest to their destination. This may be because the lots are all clones of the mining stop. It might be important to number the stops - you can do this in oasis landing with cheats, as they are all clones they have the same number.
Finally the zephyr is extremely high in the sky above the rails. I have no idea how to fix this. If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Happy to share the map once it’s done as well if people are interested
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2019 at 11:16 AM
If you haven't yet, download the OL CAW version from here: https://cawster.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/oasis-landing/ (It doesn't matter if you use the suburb version or the future version as long as you don't export it). You can open the world in CAW and dissect how it is done and compare the positions of stations and rails with the data in the OL zephyr ini file (extracted from the installed world, attached for convenience).

This might be old news to you, but poking a bit more around: If I compare the setup in OL with the path in the ini-file for the Zephyr, the last elevated rail before District Station is [1_24], [1_25] - [1_27] seem to be on the lot.

Same with the rails after the station (lot): [2_2] is the first rail after the station, [2_-1] - [2_1] seem to be on lot/incorporated in the station (maybe entrance point, embarking point, exit point?).

But I understand you did this aldready. I'm not so sure if you should put in the lot coordinates though as suggested in the research thread. Those values don't match anything in the ini-file. I have no clue how the creators of OL obtained the values for the repeating points for each station. Interestingly enough, the RollAmount changes for the exit route (see attached pic).

For height (y), whatever the values stand for, it's not the actual height of the elevated track in CAW. So copying the Y values from CAW might be a reason why you have those height differences. For OL, 7.0 seems to be the base value for the flat part of the map.

The RollAmount is a bit mysterious. It is set at some points on the flat part of the map, too. This occurs in one instance where the elevated rails form a curve, but not everytime the path is curving. In another instance it is set where there is an actual terrain elevation. The description says it's a degree. You would need to have a look at OL in game to see how the cabin performs in these spots. It might not have to do anything with the path but with the orientation of the cabin, to make it look more "realistic".

The station object (StationEP11) is the same object on every lot. The object itself is not unique. The lot name might need to be unique in order to select a destination but that might be for the players convenience (difficult to choose if all stops are called "station").
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  S3_1F886EAD_00000000_83E573E2653731B0%%+_INI.zip (2.0 KB, 2 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2019 at 11:43 AM
That makes sense about the height, I thought there might be something like that happening.
After looking at the ini file it certainly seems that the first three points (1_-1,1_0,1_1) designate within the station lot, I would guess that it is the first track thing you can see on the station object, then inside the station then the exit track. Is there a way to get the xyz coordinates of these points in CAW?
My guess about the rollamount so far is that it is purely aesthetic and has no effect on zephyr function.

An interesting note- while the ini puts the station at y=7.0, CAW shows it as 41. In CAW, the difference between the lowest station and the highest station is over 20 points - 68 and 41 while in the ini the largest difference is just four points. Maybe the game auto-corrects the y values? or they just don't matter as much as the zephyr is floating? It could be that the zephyr is set to go as low as possible and the game auto corrects somehow maybe?? In CAW a y value of 7 would put an object close to the bottom of the dried seabed
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 4th Nov 2019 at 12:23 PM
Not sure how to get the coordinates of these 3 points from CAW. What you could try is to place only the station (without lot) on your map and add elevated tracks to the spots you think might be the right ones, and take their coordinates. You can then remove the elevated tracks again and place a lot over the station (the station will be part of the lot now). It's very tedious to test as you would have to export each time to see if it works/the station is selectable. Again, the y coordinate is very likely not the y value as displayed in CAW.

I doubt the game is autocorrecting/calculating anything. It's more that we don't understand the scale and reference point for the y values (yet). They don't make much sense if you compare them to the height of the map either, there is no 1:x scale. So they might not be height related? The coordinate system has a very tiny scale. So a change from 10.3 to 6.5 (points [1_23] to [1_24]) would be a huge jump. Also, why do the y values have only 1 position after the decimal point? Might be a coincidence but it's weird compared to the other, map related coordinates.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Nov 2019 at 9:08 AM
Ok so I've done some testing with the Oasis landing unpopulated world. I'm fairly sure the stations and rails actually really arent that dependent on each other. It looks like the coordinates inside the station are just where the devs thought the train should appear. In fact, as the tram exits and enters a station it is often misaligned with the track. As it reached the centre of the station it did a little loop de loop and looked like it glitched back to the centre of the station - I'm guessing it didn't have enough time to smoothly transition to the next misaligned coordinate as it was in the station.
the tram can go both ways in oasis landing, it seems to be random in which direction it chooses to go - as opposed to my world, it seems to go only one way.
The lack of dependency of tram and rail is probably a good thing, if I fix the height issue and put in the correct inner three coordinates the tram should look normal. I still don't know why the train in my world doesn't go to the correct stop (it does a full loop and glitches). Maybe the middle inner coordinate (0_1) is tied to the station in a way that is actually important compared to the coordinates
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Nov 2019 at 9:13 AM
Apologies, I meant 0_0 as the important inner coordinate, which would make sense as really only 0_-1 and 0_1 are needed to set the path of the tram. I think #_0 is set as a number the tram slows/stops at and the coordinate of this number is important.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Nov 2019 at 10:40 AM
I've just tried placing the station in oasis landing as a lone object in place of station 0 and roughly rotated it diagonally to match the rail path. I placed it in the world then manually set the station coordinates to 0_0. The tram worked mostly normally, the routing seems kinda stuffed up but I think it could be made to work. I then tried simply drawing a lot over the station. The station is invisible from the world view and as soon as a sim enters the station the automatic go to action is canceled. However I then edited the lot and picked up the station and put it down again without moving it. It works and it is now visible on the map and is automatically used. The tram is also pretty well aligned on the track as well.