Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 2:53 AM
Default CC Addicts Anonymous
I have become addicted to downloading CC. Please tell me I'm not alone? I've found that I spend more time downloading CC then I do actually playing the game. I load up my hood go to play and then "Hmm I need a better hair/outfit for this sim" or "I wanna makeover this room" and exit to browse for hours looking for CC. And then I go through and reorganize my folders. Then I go download more.
Anyone else have a downoading addiction?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 3:32 AM
I tend to like or bookmark CC I want, then go back later and download it all in one fell swoop when the mood hits me. That's because I find unzipping and sorting it to be rather tedious. I try to be choosy about what I download, though it is hard to resist something cute, but ultimately useless. The bookmarking helps since I can do that on a whim, then go back later and decide if I really want it (do I already have a bunch of straight medium-length hairs like this? I don't play a medieval game so is this lovely period dress really useful to me?)

Anyway, you're probably not looking for advice ; ) I don't think I'm addicted, but I definitely see how you could be!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#3 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 3:33 AM
@ ChisanaAoi Welcome to the club of download addiction, there are many post about this here on the MTS, showing members with tons of download CC. Here is just two of many threads about it http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments and another link here http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568831
I also am addicted to downloading CC we all need.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 4:29 AM
I have about 14 G's of CC. You are not alone. It takes me about 45 minutes to load my game.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 5:14 AM
Hi my name is jvms20 and I am a CC addict. I've been an addict for five years. When I see something cute on tumblr and modthesims I download it without thought. I've been trying to cut back to only 30 downloads at one time but I've relapsed but to my old numbers of 150 downloads at a time. I need help -.- thank you
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 9:59 AM
I'm also a CC addict-but I do it whole hog style: I download houses with tons of the stuff..and spend forever after trimming it down.

It's fun, really, and a challenge to do it, and see if the lot's really playable (not to mention the load time for the game...)

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 10:00 AM
Is this a trick question? :P

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 10:22 AM
I don't have a lot in-game, but I have been downloading an increasing amount lately. You know, just in case the sites disappear.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 10:46 AM
In a way, we're all CC addicts of ModtheSims.

But, it really just comes down to how a person approaches their custom content. This one personally does download a lot, but when downloading he tries to make sure that the said content is content that will get use. Sure that bedding looks cute, but how often is one really going to use it? ...So despite having numerous gigabytes of stuff, most of it is actually used often. This strikes a balance between feeding the addiction, and still remaining with reasonable limits of practicality.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 11:36 AM
I wouldn't call myself an addict, but some times I'll find a mod I need to download... and then I just can't help but look at some pretty clothes, and then pretty hairstyles, and next thing I know I've downloaded about 14 different files. My laptop that runs Sims 2 doesn't really have good internet so I download stuff gradually on this laptop on a USB and then when I feel like I have the time (installing CC on a super slow laptop takes at least an hour, and then I play-test it to make sure all mesh/textures/mods work fine) I install it all at once.

Luckily I don't download too much. I usually only download stuff I see myself using soon in the game, and when it comes to hair I only download 1 family of hair colours (usually Pooklets first family) and then if I know I'll use it a lot - a lighter ginger and a lighter brown too, so there's more variation. I also only download around 3 different colours of clothing, instead of all of them.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#11 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 12:02 PM
I don't download that much, actually. When I'm playing, I make notes on my phone for fixes I want or objects I need. What I am downloading a lot of is defaults. I can't stand most of the hairs and outfits in-game, so I just download defaults. I have a tendency to replace my skin or eyedefaults so drastically all of my sims look different. So I have to take new pictures of all of them for my family trees.
Scholar
#12 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 4:38 PM
Food and Hair. I must have.

ALL FOOD AND HAIR.

GIVE IT TO ME.

Seriously choosing a meal is like impossible there are so many pie menus on my fridges.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 6:32 PM
as a hoarder IRL (yes we exist and no our houses are not all nasty), I have to have an outlet. I purposely don't let myself collect items because it will get out of hand, so I collect digital downloads. See how nicely I've rationalized it?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 7:46 PM
Quote:
I don't have a lot in-game, but I have been downloading an increasing amount lately. You know, just in case the sites disappear.

I've been doing this for about 9 years now-and I'm very glad sometimes that I'm a hoarder...because sites do disappear, and the things on them tend to do so as well.

Not everything ends up on the Booty, or the Graveyard.

Because while the mods and hacks are pretty much all done for this game, you never know what furniture you're missing until you see someone's picture with that chair you missed the first time around, and you swear silently under your breath "Why didn't I grab that while it was available!"

Especially meshes..

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 8:01 PM
I've become a snob more selective with what I download.

I used to download anything and everything when I first started playing, because the concept of someone creating something for a game was brand new to me and everything seemed amazing. Oh, those photoskinned clothes... /shudder

But now, much like HarVee, I have to look at a download and think "Will I actually use this" or "Will this improve my personal game experience". Or on the other hand, when I'm playing TS2 and I find an area that feels like it's lacking with choices (shower curtains, for example), I'll spend a while looking for that item. Then have to go back to "Will I use this". Sure, that pink shower curtain is cute, but how often am I going to use something like that?

Then there's the other spectrum. Where you've downloaded something you know you'll use, but you see it in game and it looks awful. So you ditch it.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 8:36 PM Last edited by gazania : 28th Dec 2015 at 1:23 PM.
I can be bad, Real bad.

I still have just under 3 gigs of CC. That is not bad, one might think?

I also have about 8 gigs worth of downloads to test. At least. A bunch of sites I've bookmarked for later perusal. And I'm adding regularly.

Granted, I cull my downloads to about 1/3 of the total in-game, and continue to cull while in CAS or buy or build mode. I don't use every color or variant of an object. Sometimes, it's "pick three numbers" or "second, fourth, eighth" or "which four do I like the best?", but unless I find I use a particular outfit heavily (such as Sentate's Sims 2 jumpers/sweaters),I don't download every color or pattern. Some of the items are part of a huge mega-download, and I want only one or two decor items, and some hair looks great in the picture, but the mesh the creator used apparently is causing huge gaps or other weird bits in the style. Or a skintone that looked unusual in a picture resembles one I already have. Or I downloaded a bunch of stuff from a site before it closed for future consideration. That sort of thing.

I allow myself only a small amount to add a day. This could be a problem, though ... sometimes, I forget a download needs a master or a slave texture. I'm making it more of a point to make some sort of note to myself about that.

Still, I'm no angel with downloads.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#17 Old 27th Dec 2015 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Simonut : 28th Dec 2015 at 4:03 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
Anyway, you're probably not looking for advice ; ) I don't think I'm addicted, but I definitely see how you could be!

@ Vladora This made me smile because sometime when we don't think we are addicted to CC usually we are.
Because most addiction we have a "blind eye" to our wants and needs, because it's human nature to want and need and get things that we really may or may not need at all.
Like yesterday I was at a grocery store I walk pass "three times" some chocolate Truffles, telling myself "No I do not need this", on the third walk through I was at the shelf putting out not one box but two and place in my cart.
Now why on earth did I need the second box ? Oh well

Scholar
#18 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 1:40 AM
I used to download CC willy nilly, but lately my laptop is showing signs of buckling under the weight of it all, so I've self disciplined myself to only get what I really like and most times also throw something out if I do so, so my downloads stay just under 2GB.

I'd be a total custom food addict except many of them add new menus to the fridge which is a little peeve of mine, but it's a blessing in disguise really. Also beddings. The blessing in disguise with those is that many aren't made with the single bed in mind, so I'll throw those out too.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#19 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 4:11 AM
@ DezzyBoo yeah CC hair and food is fun, but be careful and "Be Sure" that when it comes to CC foods that you will keep it in your game, because if it becomes your Sims "favorite food" then removing it can "corrupt" your game.
Here http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...ding_corruption Now hair is cool to have as long as you watch out for "high poly count" but if your computer is build to take it then you are ok.
I have CC food and hair but the food I have will stay.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 7:53 AM
We are not here to be cured, are we??
Forum Resident
#21 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 8:52 AM
I don't want to be cured.

-Exploring custom content lead me to discover plumbob keep and to start a medieval game file.
-Finding new objects that add gameplay, or great clothes and recolours, makes the game feel new again, or at least as if another stuff pack has come out.
-It lets me have the fun of collecting things without hurting my wallet or cluttering my house.
-Seeing what others have created started making me interested in how content is made, so I've started learning how to use SimPE (yesterday I recoloured my first object - my texture needs work, but I know how to do it now).

I think CC addiction just needs management to avoid problems of unorganized downloads, lagging loading or play, or bandwidth limitations.

I'm currently torn on adding some of Beck's animals to my new 'hood. I have them in my medieval one, but my modern farmers could use some of them. I'm torn because if I later decide I don't want them, I can't remove them because of the NPCs created. I'm not facing a lag problem yet, but I want room to add other cc as I build my 'hood. I like build items, but my real cc weakness is definitely for functional objects.
Scholar
#22 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 8:56 AM
If I could access my computer I would be downloading addiction amounts of CC, but only if it has some function. My sims will have it by the end of my next gaming session. That's how I ended up with almost all of the NPC adding and interaction mods that I've found including over half of Rebecaks mods (my apologies for misspelling her name)... I do want her Dragon NPC now though.

Maybe it's a good thing my laptop computer is unchargeable. I've hurt it enough already.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 6:41 PM
I wouldn't say that I was addicted. Sure I have more than a few gigs of CC but it's harmless. I just... sort of binge download sometimes. I try to be a responsible downloader! It just doesn't work!

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Scholar
#24 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 7:17 PM
I have a 500 GB hard drive that is almost filled with cc. I keep all my cc there in case websites go down.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 28th Dec 2015 at 10:18 PM
I'm keeping a 500GB hard drive on standby just for my CC when I decided to put it all on that..and my new computer isn't even a third full yet..that's 500GB also.

But I always wonder if I'm getting jaded or that new CC won't make me want to download it.

Then I see a beautiful lot (like that Starbucks that 2Finger Whiskey did) and there goes my courage.

Page 1 of 4