Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2021 at 11:13 PM
Default Looking to make my first mod - Any good resources?
I am a new modder and have an idea for a project for the Sims 3.

I want to make it so the fireplace "Portable Fire Pit" object can take more recipes such as objects in a sims inventory similar to how sims can already cook fish and chicken in the inventory.

I'm wondering how to go about this?

Any resources would be good as I am new to this!

Thanks!

Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th Feb 2021 at 10:45 AM
Heya! 

It Seems possible actually! However, before explaining how to do it, I do wanna say that it has 3 ingredients you can't add though (For obvious reasons :p because who eats UnicornFertilizer lol). So the following ingredients are hardcoded not to be able to be eaten or even 'enabled':

case "horseGranola":
case "horseFertilizer":
case "unicornFertilizer":

Allrighty! So with that out of the way... Lets get to how to add things!  So the game seems to look at a (C# list, but think of it like a shopping list) of only but fridge-related recipes. So anything you can add in a fridge, the game will obtain and say "You can roast these items!" (hence why sims can put the worlds biggest turkey on it lol). WHich means there are a few approaches to this:

1. Create your own 'ingredient'. It's pretty advanced-ish as a first project but we do have some great guides and tutorials on how to do it  https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=546986

the game will pick up the ingredient as ingredient and therefore you're able to roast it! This does mean you'd need to mesh or retexture a particular fruit/veggie/meat. So it totally depends on if you want new items to be added.

2. If you want to add items that are already in the game (personally can't think of any but it could be the case) then you'd probably have to go a bit more into script modding, where you manually inject stuff in this C# list I mentioned before, cast it as an ingredient (which could break the original game object but hey that's the fun of experimenting :p) and voila! This does mean you can add these items in a fridge as well. 

So in the end it depends on what your thoughts are and whether you'd want to create new items to be edible or not.