Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 12:23 AM
Default How to go from 1024 to 2048 textures?
If I clone a CAS part, let's say something simple like a t-shirt and I want the base texture to be 2048x2048. Do I just make it that size, and maybe also the mask and specular, and it will work correctly in the game? Or are there more things I would need to do for it to work?

Do all textures have to be upscaled? What if I want to make a mask or stencil in 2048x2048, can I leave the base texture as 1024x1024, or does it have to be upscaled as well?

I think I've tried to use a 2048x2048 texture before, many years ago. but it didn't work for some reason, the CC didn't even show up in the game. So I thought I should ask before I start experimenting with this again.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 6:10 AM
There's a handy tutorial that covers the exact thing you're trying to do.

I don't know why it put that in bold letters.....sorry. Not being passive aggressive

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 10:48 AM
The GPU will sample each texture for every point in UV space, if one texture happens to be 2k it will simply have more image data to pick from, resulting in more detail(assuming the detail is actually there and the image wasn't simply upscaled). That being said, I don't know how the Sims 3 engine handles textures exactly, it could be that they artificially limited the maximum allowed texture size to something like 1k/2k. Having briefly looked through GraphicsRules.sgr it does seem that there's limits on texture sizes that could potentially be tweaked for higher quality textures.
Code:
option TextureQuality
	setting $Low
		prop $ConfigGroup DropTexMipsOnLoad     1
		prop $ConfigGroup TextureSizeThreshold  0
		prop $ConfigGroup RttSizeSmall  256
		prop $ConfigGroup RttSizeLarge  256
		prop $ConfigGroup TrilinearEnabled  false
		prop $ConfigGroup AnisoEnabled  false
		prop $ConfigGroup ForceActiveLotObjectsToHighLOD false
	setting $Medium
		prop $ConfigGroup DropTexMipsOnLoad 1
		prop $ConfigGroup TextureSizeThreshold  1024
		prop $ConfigGroup RttSizeLarge  512
		prop $ConfigGroup TrilinearEnabled  false
		prop $ConfigGroup AnisoEnabled  false
		prop $ConfigGroup ForceActiveLotObjectsToHighLOD true
	setting $High
		prop $ConfigGroup DropTexMipsOnLoad 0
		prop $ConfigGroup TextureSizeThreshold  2048
		prop $ConfigGroup RttSizeLarge  512
		prop $ConfigGroup TrilinearEnabled  true
		prop $ConfigGroup AnisoEnabled  true
		prop $ConfigGroup ForceActiveLotObjectsToHighLOD true
end
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 8:09 PM
Nah, it's fine. The only thing HQ mods do is increase the maximum resolution the game will load in. By default it's 1024p so it will simply load anything up to that size in the correct resolution. Anything above, it simply also loads as a 1024p texture. If you clone your tee and give it a 2048p texture, without an HQ mod, it'll load in the default resolution. But Lyralei's ducky was 32p originally, and immediately loads in as 256p.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 9:02 PM
Thanks! I shall read through that tutorial and see what applies to what I want to do, and learn and try out new things.

I don't want to "replace everything" with heavy texture files that would increase the RAM usage, but sometimes it would be nice with textures in higher resolution.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
You may want to download a HQ mod or shaders. I used to have SweetFX but for some reason it didn't work after I had reinstalled my game, but it's worth trying out.

I have thought about trying a HQ mod for screenshots, but I've been happy with my screenshots so far. I'm not sure if I need a HQ mod to enjoy 2048x2048 textures? I have shoes by Semller and Pixicat that have textures of that size and they look amazing. I can even read "adidas" below the logo back on the heel of the Adidas Superstar shoes if I zoom in. That wouldn't be possible with 1024x1024.

I might try to go up 2x in size with paintings first. It's always nice to see the faces clearly in group photos.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 1:36 AM
Basically, yes, 2048p textures will not work without an adjustment to your GraphicsRules.sgr file, be it in the form of an HQ mod or a manual edit of the file....

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Basically, yes, 2048p textures will not work without an adjustment to your GraphicsRules.sgr file, be it in the form of an HQ mod or a manual edit of the file....

Hm, On the High setting for TextureQuality it says TextureSizeTheshold 2048 And Same with RenderSimTextureSizes on Very High, 2048.

I know I did some edits after getting the GTX 1060 card, but can't remember if this was part of it.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 7:51 PM
Now that you mention it, it's been a while. Maybe the game does load 2048p textures by default. I know the rabbit hole textures are particularly big. I don't know....

insert signature here