Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
I only wonder about that mural by @Bakie .. the one that's up for download has a lot of different textures, obviously, but I don't see any seams on their screenshot -- with that the problem was only with the corner bits it appears.

On my wallpapers, only the middle of the wall is different. I used the same plain grass with blue sky on each wallpaper. And for that plain one I used the offset option in photoshop to make it seamless.
And as you say, there were 2 walls that did have the seams. To split the tree I used offset, so I know for sure that they would fit next to each other. But as Snaitf already said:

Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
... it only appears to happen when placing 2 different wall textures next to eachother, even if they line up. (Or floor textures, even when simply rotated.)

I still had the seam problem when placing those 2 "corner" walls next to each other. Although I think it's strange that the blue sky also showed seams with those two wallpapers..

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
For a quick mod overview, take a look at my Profile page
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#27 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 2:27 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 21st Oct 2014 at 3:28 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Bakie
On my wallpapers, only the middle of the wall is different. I used the same plain grass with blue sky on each wallpaper. And for that plain one I used the offset option in photoshop to make it seamless.

Yeah but the resulting textures you exported, those are still different. That's what I meant.

Maybe there is something about that placement behaviour that we (or at least I) still don't understand. Like what the game treats as "different" and "same" .. maybe it isn't the texture but something to do with that funky "corner placing intelligence" it has now (or at least thinks it has). I'm going to d/l yours and see if I can find something.

@Bakie can you maybe upload your corner textures here?

Edit: It's not UnkIID01 .. that seems to be really only the sorting. But I noticed that the Maxis siding also has a slight seam, but only in one direction . Doesn't change when I override it with Unk15 301. And UnkCommon06 is the swatch sort order by the looks of it.

Edit2: Attached below: Maxis seam. (seams.jpg) The corner with the missing spec/bump is mine, the other one (left) is EA .. that ALSO has a seam, albeit a very very very tiny one. The other screen (seam.jpg) is with Maxis walls on both sides, and I cannot detect a seam there on thre right-hand side.
Screenshots

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:05 PM Last edited by Bakie : 21st Oct 2014 at 4:34 PM.
Yeah but the resulting textures you exported, those are still different. That's what I meant.

Maybe there is something about that placement behaviour that we (or at least I) still don't understand. Like what the game treats as "different" and "same" .. maybe it isn't the texture but something to do with that funky "corner placing intelligence" it has now (or at least thinks it has). I'm going to d/l yours and see if I can find something.

@Bakie can you maybe upload your corner textures here?

The attached .rar file contains the corner tree dds files, those who had seams in game.
Don't know if you can find something by looking at it. I think the big problem is the different textures on the sides placed against each other. But that still doesn't make sense why the blue sky shows seams too on the other sides of the wall. And it's not only when placing those two walls in a corner..

Curious at all the mods I made or want to learn how to make mods yourself? Take a look at my BakieGaming YouTube Channel
For the people who would like to support me some more, take a look at my: BakieGaming Patreon page
Scholar
#29 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:06 PM
I created a test wall that has one solid white wall and the other wall is solid white with a solid red stripe on one end of it. As you will notice in the picture it doesn't matter if I place the walls together on the corner of the wall or the middle I still get a line.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Sir Not Appearing In This Film
#30 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:08 PM
oooh, ooh, ooh, I may have just figured this out, let me go test!
Scholar
#31 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mehrlicht
Hi all,

I don't notice any seam between the different panels. But the base is exactly the same for all panels and the middle part has just different colors.

:lovestruc

I only have issues with lines if one side of a wall is different from the other side of the wall, your paneling is the same on both sides so that is why there is no issue

CC4Sims
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#32 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:16 PM

I knew it

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

#33 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:19 PM
Argh, so my test didn't fix the issue.

However, this REALLY looks like an offset issue to me now. In each pic, it looks like one pixel of one of the sides is wrapping on to the other side.

Or am I wrong?

I tried offsetting my walls by 1px both ways, but it didn't fix it. But still, that really looks like what's going on.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#34 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:23 PM
However, this REALLY looks like an offset issue to me now. In each pic, it looks like one pixel of one of the sides is wrapping on to the other side.

Or am I wrong?

I tried offsetting my walls by 1px both ways, but it didn't fix it. But still, that really looks like what's going on.

Yeah it is some kind of wrapping thing, but it's not in the original textures (it's also much less than one pixel) -- that is why I was thinking mipmaps. Because those are what you really see on screen most of the time.

See also my edit above re. all the UNKs that I looked at meanwhile (just so you don't do that twice =)

Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:26 PM

Very curiuous! Hope you do find a solution

EDIT:
Ow you didn't :P

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#36 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 3:39 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 21st Oct 2014 at 4:33 PM.
The attached .rar file contains the corner tree dds files, those who had seams in game.
Don't know if you can find something by looking at it. I think the big problem is the different textures on the sides placed against each other. But that still doesn't make sense why the blue sky shows seams too on the other sides of the wall. And it's not only when placing those two walls in a corner..

Ah I didn't mean the raw dds files, sorry -- I meant the actual package.

Oh and your walls are DXT5, too (the working, plain ones). (Like the corner ones I mean)

I see a difference between the MATD of one of the in-game "SimpleSiding" walls

and the one that I cloned with S4S

in that the NormalMapUVSelector (Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000) and SpecularUVSelector
(Data0: 0.0000; Data1: 0.0000; Data2: 0.0000) fields are missing. I dunno, would that lead to funkiness perhaps? At least for those walls who have custom bump/specs?

One of the WallEz ones, that's much more stripped down (since it doesn't do bump/specs yet)

Since Maxis are apparently producing walls with empty bumpmaps/speculars .. maybe they are required? And need their UVSelectors too so as to not look crappy?

Unfortunately there's no way to test this right now, since s4pe borks the MATD .. =/

Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 4:06 PM
Ah I didn't mean the raw dds files, sorry -- I meant the actual package.

Oh and your walls are DXT5, too (the working, plain ones). (Like the corner ones I mean)

Oh I'm sorry, here is the old package file including the corners with seams.
As for the white stripe, I think it's as thin as a guide line on photoshop. But you can't edit those small sections right?
Attached files:
File Type: rar  BakieGaming_GrasslandSummer_Combine Set_Old.rar (786.2 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content

Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 5:02 PM Last edited by Bakie : 5th Nov 2014 at 12:34 PM.
I just discovered that there is also a strange darker line in game while making 2 different walls that you can combine to one. Don't know where that is coming from..

I think on the second image it's better visible..
Also on the second image you already see a thin white line that I don't see on the first image

EDIT:

Ow it's the turtle...:

There is no white line anymore on the whole side in game.. And it looks these 2 sides are switched...If there is a way to switch them back, the "white" line is gone...
@plasticbox
@Snaitf If you look at your wall with the photo on it, and look at the 4th wallpaper from the right. If you would switch those lines, that piece of the wall will be without lines.. 'Cause the dark line of the right is from the mountain top on the left..
Screenshots

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#39 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 8:36 PM
So there's a thread on this now at EA / Modding: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...amless-textures

Please don't remove the screenshots/packages you posted here, they're also linked from there! Thank you! Hopefully they will take pity on us =)

Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 8:57 PM
So there's a thread on this now at EA / Modding: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...amless-textures

Please don't remove the screenshots/packages you posted here, they're also linked from there! Thank you! Hopefully they will take pity on us =)

I only removed the .rar including the dds files you didn't asked for
But I've read the post on the official Sims forum and saw that you linked my corner tree image and package file and turtle image.
The won't be removed.

I hope they can help us with this problem. There are very nice things possible if we get rid of these seams.
A work around for Snaitf photo wall and my turtle, would be a combination between wallpapers and wallstickers. But as there is no program for wallstickers yet, it isn't possible yet.

Scholar
#41 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 8:57 PM
Hi again,
I made a new set with eight walls: Conversion of the "Victorian Outdoor set" created by Komosims for Sims 2.

I don't notice lines between the different panels, maybe some little mistakes, but they were already visible in Sims 2 and Sims 3: The original set was really beautiful, but not absolutely perfect.
There is this ugly shadow on a corner, but it's the same as on the bare wall and don't seem related to the custom wallcovering.
I am disappointed that there are more or less issues in different games, with people using the same programs. Unfortunately I am not able to help, but I am sure that you guys will figure it out soon.

Thanks again. :lovestruc
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#42 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 9:36 PM
I believe with this kind of wall (with a lot of texture/structure, like bricks or wood panels) it's probably not going to be very noticeable in game =)

A work around for Snaitf photo wall and my turtle, would be a combination between wallpapers and wallstickers.

That might even be more practical than using wall pieces (so that one can move it around in one piece, etc) .. it only wouldn't adapt to the wall heights. But for things like the your tree, a wall sticker would be a good solution I guess! (Aren't there already wall stickers in game that are rather boring? I don't know if they have a texture, but if they do, overriding them would already be possible!)

Also, another experiment: A direct override (texture replacement) of a Maxis diffuse texture does NOT result in seams, see screenshots below. This is a relief insofar as there's probably really nothing wrong with the actual textures. Not with the diffusion ones at least, and likely not with the bumps/specs either, as I don't think Bakie's murals for instance even had bumps or specs. (I only wish I'd had that genius idea of testing with overrides a couple hours earlier .. )
Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:25 PM
Aren't there already wall stickers in game that are rather boring? I don't know if they have a texture, but if they do, overriding them would already be possible!

Yeah, there are some rather boring ones in game But I don't know how that works with overwriting files. And it would be better to have standalone's of course.
And with the option in-game to make things bigger, you could then make some really nice wall coverings. Maybe @granthes knows how to make a tool for that if he got some spare time

Otherwise it's waiting on EA to come with a solution for the seams.

Scholar
#44 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mehrlicht
Hi again,
I made a new set with eight walls: Conversion of the "Victorian Outdoor set" created by Komosims for Sims 2.

I don't notice lines between the different panels, maybe some little mistakes, but they were already visible in Sims 2 and Sims 3: The original set was really beautiful, but not absolutely perfect.
There is this ugly shadow on a corner, but it's the same as on the bare wall and don't seem related to the custom wallcovering.
I am disappointed that there are more or less issues in different games, with people using the same programs. Unfortunately I am not able to help, but I am sure that you guys will figure it out soon.

Thanks again. :lovestruc

I think I see a line in the brick, but it does blend in better because of all the different textures.

CC4Sims
#45 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 6:48 AM
Knowing that the seams are created by the game copying one edge of the texture onto the other edge, can help to "fix" some floors/walls. Take @Srikandi 's rug for instance. Only the right/top edges need to line up, so copying 1px from those edges onto the opposing edges, will get rid of the seam. The only drawback is a small beige line on part of the outside edge of the rug, that is really not even noticeable, unless your specifically looking for it. This might also be used to fix some walls that are meant to be used in tandem.

However, mural type walls can't be fixed this way, because they have to line up on BOTH edges, and copying the right side pixel to the left, fixes one edge, but ruins the other.
#46 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 2:16 PM
Because of these seams it's not aproved in the moderation queue.

Your upload was not approved because of those tiny little lines, and yet this was accepted?

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=539401

I'm confused...
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 2:36 PM
Your upload was not approved because of those tiny little lines, and yet this was accepted?

I'm confused...

The seams were one of the reasons it wasn't accepted.
There were some image changes to be made too.

But I saw this upload too and was also wondering how it passed the moderation queue

EDIT:
@Pbox Ow, we replied at the same time.
It's true mine were more visible because of the less textures.
And I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so that's why I deleted the whole "corner" walls and made new ones instead.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#48 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 2:45 PM
And I'm a bit of a perfectionist

Yeah, I thought so

I hope you know you can always use Creator Issues whenever you’re not happy with how uploads are being dealt with =)

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#49 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 4:35 PM

I'm confused...

The uploader has queue bypass privileges; looking at the upload the "checked by mod" box is not ticked, so it hasn't been approved by anyone yet.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
#50 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leefish
The uploader has queue bypass privileges; looking at the upload the "checked by mod" box is not ticked, so it hasn't been approved by anyone yet.

Ah, that makes sense...
Page 2 of 5