Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:11 PM
Default Would a laptop with these specs run the sims 2 and expansion packs well.
My last laptop I bought in 2012 died. I bought a new laptop and it cannot run the sims 2 right.

I miss playing the sims 2 so I am looking to purchase a laptop that will play the games well but ther is so much to specs on laptops I am scared. I found this one on eBay. Would this run my games well?

DELL Latitude Z600 16"Laptop Intel C2D 1.6GHz 4GB RAM 64GB SSD Win7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Latit...4.m46890.l49286

I was looking for something with windows 7 or 8 that seems the best for the games and I know the recommendations are 64 ram but other then that I am not confident in my knowledge.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th May 2021 at 5:47 PM.
1.6GHz - Processor speed
4GB RAM - RAM/memory
64GB SSD - storage space, SSD
Win7

That's about as low as you can go as specs go - It probably could run the game, but don't expect any miracles. Most likely there would be some issues.

Would get something with a processor starts on at least 2 to 2.4 GHz (assuming there's turbo up to 3-4GHz) since that's the minimum requirement for AL/M&G, or you'll prpobably experience a lot of lag. You can probably manage with something that starts lower as long as it's got turbo that goes beyond 2.4, but probably wouldn't count on it if you have the option to look for something better.
- From the age of that particular laptop on Ebay, I'm taking a guess and saying it doesn't have turbo, so it's probably going to be very underpowered if you want to use all the EPs. Looks to be from around 2009 or some such.

For Windows 7 and above (especially 8 and 10), you'll probably want to get at least 8 GB Ram. If you end up needing the 4GB patch to make the game run smoother (or at all, depending on the OS), only 4 GB probably isn't going to be enough, and you won't be able to use the patch.

64GB SSD - I sincerely hope you have plans to not have any CC on that laptop, because the game itself is going to take up around 15 GB (or more - that's game + documents without CC), and the OS will most likely take a good chunk of the rest (Google says Win7 needs roughly 16 GB, Win8 about 20 GB, and Win10 about 32 GB), and then there's other programs you might need. A SSD needs a good chunk of space empty to do a good job if it's both harddrive and main OS, so you may want to consider at least 128 or 256, or perhaps something with extra HDD space. 64GB and only that is very little, especially if you want to play other games, too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
1.6GHz - Processor speed
4GB RAM - RAM/memory
64GB SSD - storage space, SSD
Win7

That's about as low as you can go as specs go - It probably could run the game, but don't expect any miracles. Most likely there would be some issues.

Would get something with a processor starts on at least 2 to 2.4 GHz (assuming there's turbo up to 3-4GHz) since that's the minimum requirement for AL/M&G, or you'll prpobably experience a lot of lag. You can probably manage with something that starts lower as long as it's got turbo that goes beyond 2.4, but probably wouldn't count on it if you have the option to look for something better.

For Windows 7 and above (especially 8 and 10), you'll probably want to get at least 8 GB Ram. If you end up needing the 4GB patch to make the game run smoother (or at all, depending on the OS), only 4 GB probably isn't going to be enough, and you won't be able to use the patch.

64GB SSD - I sincerely hope you have plans to not have any CC on that laptop, because the game itself is going to take up around 15 GB (or more - that's game + documents without CC), and the OS will most likely take a good chunk of the rest (Google says Win7 needs roughly 16 GB, Win8 about 20 GB, and Win10 about 32 GB), and then there's other programs you might need. A SSD needs a good chunk of space empty to do a good job if it's both harddrive and main OS, so you may want to consider at least 128 or 256, or perhaps something with extra HDD space. 64GB and only that is very little, especially if you want to play other games, too.

About the ram I do want son cc so I would need more then 64 go

But what operating system should I focus on first. I am focusing to get the operating system that would work best. Could I do 10 I heard there were problems with it?

I definitely don’t want the minimal requirements I want to buy a laptop completely capable of performing at pretty excellent speed. I just don’t understand specs enough
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:50 PM
I've had some issues with 10 (a Windows Update issue I can't figure out, which has led to a major memory hogging problem), but I think that's a bit individual. When it's working, it seems to perform relatively fine, and I didn't have too many issues with it at first. Still prefer Win7, though. Haven't tried Win8.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:51 PM
Ok good so I think windows 7 is the right operating system
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:54 PM
There's the issue of Win7 not being updated any longer, though. That could become a problem after a while, and could be a potential risk if the computer is connected to internet and you don't protect it well enough with a proper AV and such, but if you do regular backups of files you don't want to lose and all that, at least you're not in danger of losing anything important.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th May 2021 at 5:55 PM
How about this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Preci...4.m46890.l49286

It seems pricy but it seems to have the requirements I need

I don’t plan on connecting it to the internet to avoid any problems like that
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th May 2021 at 6:01 PM
For the computer illiterate what does “ you don't protect it well enough with a proper AV and such,”
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th May 2021 at 6:21 PM
It does, but this one does seem quite chunky, especially if you want to put it in a backpack or some such (nearly 4 cm, or 1.5 in). If it's only for a table it's probably fine.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Revie...on.81505.0.html
height x width x depth (in mm): 37 x 376 x 256 ( = 1.46 x 14.8 x 10.08 in)

Having dedicated graphics will most likely be of help (NVIDIA Quadro K2000M graphics - it doesn't seem to be listed in the VideoCards, but could be it's still compatible, or that you can set it up to be. Notebookcheck says it's a mid-range card from 2012-ish, and it should be able to run TS2 okay).

One tip while you're looking around - do a search on Google (or wherever else you do your searches) and see if you can find that same laptop to find more information and maybe an old review. The Ebay listings don't seem to have things like width/height and all that, and occasionally miss out some information. Sites like "notebookcheck.net" can be helpful. Old reviews can also sometimes help.

If you're looking for used laptops, be aware that some components on laptops do run out from wear and tear, especially batteries and power units, sometimes graphic cards and so forth. The older and more used the laptop is, the more likely those components may not last very long. Batteries (if with daily use) may last 5-8 years. Some laptops stop working at all (plugged in or not) when the batteries no longer work, others will only work when plugged in.
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th May 2021 at 7:11 PM Last edited by bitmap52 : 30th May 2021 at 7:17 PM. Reason: add link
[QUOTE=bs624]My last laptop I bought in 2012 died. I bought a new laptop and it cannot run the sims 2 right.

I miss playing the sims 2 so I am looking to purchase a laptop that will play the games well but ther is so much to specs on laptops I am scared. I found this one on eBay. Would this run my games well?

What kind of laptop did you buy that will not run the Sims 2?
I ask because it has been my experience that Sims 2 will not run properly on a screen with a 75 or 144 refresh rate.
I don't want to get too technical here because I don't fully understand all this myself. But I could not change the refresh rate on my laptop from the 144 fps it came with.
So I bought a 27 inch monitor with a 60 fps refresh rate and hooked it up to my Windows 10 laptop that would not play Sims 2.
The games runs and looks flawless, (knock on wood) on the big monitor. I had to run Graphics Rules Manager and the 4 Gig Patch, but the hangup seemed to be the refresh rate and not Windows 10.
But I no longer have a portable laptop since my laptop is hooked to the big monitor and I don't want to disturb things since the game runs so well. (Things we do for our Sims!)
After I bought the big monitor, I read about some kind of utility you can run that will allow a change to be made to the laptop screen native refresh rate. I have not used this myself, but I would have tried it if I had known.
Let me see if I can find the link.
Yeah, here iot is at Leefish http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9519
Actually it was this one http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9481
Forum Resident
#11 Old 30th May 2021 at 9:16 PM
For laptops, you almost have to have a dedicated graphics card, which means you're really looking for a "gaming laptop". The Lats are business laptops, not gaming ones. The Precision would probably do, though I'm not that familiar with it.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th May 2021 at 9:33 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 31st May 2021 at 3:37 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by bs624
For the computer illiterate what does “ you don't protect it well enough with a proper AV and such,”

AV = Antivirus program, or malware protection. And of course making sure you're careful when using the internet, and download from safe places.

These days, for instance clicking CC links that are hidden behind adfly-like pages (ad-filled, malware-ridden pages that hide the actual download link - not that common in the TS2 community, but not unheard of) can make your computer pick up some really bad stuff, so you'll want to be protected even if you know what you're doing.

---

Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
For laptops, you almost have to have a dedicated graphics card, which means you're really looking for a "gaming laptop".

You don't necessarily need a full-on gaming laptop. The newer ones are not cheap, and tend to be somewhat more troublesome the newer the graphic cards are.

It may also depend how intense on the graphical side you want to go. If regular medium to high settings are fine for you, and you plan to just play and not do any HQ filming or something of that sort, most laptops that can work with the med-to-high settings will do just fine. However, if you plan to make videos or use reshade or anything like that, you may need something more powerful.

Some of the newer Intel chips can do a decent job, as long as you don't run them too hard. For regular gameplay with a mix of medium-to-high settings a few hours a day/week, they'd probably do fine, but I wouldn't recommend doing anything very hardcore on it, and there's no guarantees it would last long.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 31st May 2021 at 2:45 AM
I wouldn't, ever again, run The Sims 2 (or higher) on any laptop without a graphics card. I killed two consecutive Dell Inspirons that way.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 31st May 2021 at 1:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bitmap52
[QUOTE=bs624]My last laptop I bought in 2012 died. I bought a new laptop and it cannot run the sims 2 right.

What kind of laptop did you buy that will not run the Sims 2?
I ask because it has been my experience that Sims 2 will not run properly on a screen with a 75 or 144 refresh rate.
I don't want to get too technical here because I don't fully understand all this myself. But I could not change the refresh rate on my laptop from the 144 fps it came with.
So I bought a 27 inch monitor with a 60 fps refresh rate and hooked it up to my Windows 10 laptop that would not play Sims 2.
The games runs and looks flawless, (knock on wood) on the big monitor. I had to run Graphics Rules Manager and the 4 Gig Patch, but the hangup seemed to be the refresh rate and not Windows 10.
But I no longer have a portable laptop since my laptop is hooked to the big monitor and I don't want to disturb things since the game runs so well. (Things we do for our Sims!)
After I bought the big monitor, I read about some kind of utility you can run that will allow a change to be made to the laptop screen native refresh rate. I have not used this myself, but I would have tried it if I had known.
Let me see if I can find the link.
Yeah, here iot is at Leefish http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9519
Actually it was this one http://leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9481

The CRU should work if that is the OP's problem, but I agree with your question. @bs624 What are the exact problems with your current laptop? If it's the usual stuff, it can probably be fixed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st May 2021 at 4:27 PM Last edited by bs624 : 31st May 2021 at 4:53 PM.
My current laptop doesn’t run it right. It’s in a smaller screen I tried the hacks to make it full screen and it’s not working also it almost always crashes I spoke to origin games and they told me I shouldn’t of even been able to download them the old information on the game is so foreign to the new anti virus it should have prevented me. I missed the free downloads given from origin in 2018.

I never had a problem Running it on my 2012 computer

I also wasn’t able to download all my games
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 7:44 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Jun 2021 at 7:55 PM.
My current laptop doesn’t run it right. It’s in a smaller screen I tried the hacks to make it full screen and it’s not working also it almost always crashes I spoke to origin games and they told me I shouldn’t of even been able to download them the old information on the game is so foreign to the new anti virus it should have prevented me.

Asking EA/Origin gives you practically no answers whatsoever, and Origin seems to be of even less help these days. Might as well try talking to a wall... I think the Sims community knows better how to fix the game than the game makers by now...

If you tried to fix the screen resolution manually and that didn't work, have you tried the GraphicRulesMaker? Or opposite if the GRM didn't work? https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

The 4GB patch may also be of help. The game only accesses 2 GB RAM by default, the patch allows the game to access up to 4 GB, which helps a lot with the crashing issues (Use if your computer has 6-8 GB RAM or more, it won't help if there's only 4 GB RAM in all). If you have Windows 8 or 10, this one is a must. Windows 7 probably needs it, too.
https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Some antivirus programs can be problematic, but most tend to ignore the game. It depends which one you have (The last two I've had, Eset and Avira, possibly Avast for a while as well, have seemed to ignore the game. Further back in time, Norton played havoc with my ingame camera, and another - can't remember which - tried quarantining an older version of Bodyshop, but that's 10+ years ago so hopefully whichever AV it was got that sorted out. Usually they work fine alongside each other).
Test Subject
#17 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 10:05 PM
Quote:
"How about this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Preci...4.m46890.l49286

It seems pricy but it seems to have the requirements I need

I don’t plan on connecting it to the internet to avoid any problems like that"

I would never pay $699.53 for a 7 year old laptop on Ebay because it has Windows 7. But that is me.
The specs on this laptop would run the Sims 2 really well- SSD, 16 gigs RAM, some kind of fancy Quadro card... you could get lucky, and maybe the hardware inside the laptop would last another 7 years.
But my guess would be more like 7 months, if that long.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Jun 2021 at 11:50 PM
My current laptop doesn’t run it right. It’s in a smaller screen I tried the hacks to make it full screen and it’s not working also it almost always crashes I spoke to origin games and they told me I shouldn’t of even been able to download them the old information on the game is so foreign to the new anti virus it should have prevented me. I missed the free downloads given from origin in 2018.

I never had a problem Running it on my 2012 computer

I also wasn’t able to download all my games

If the laptop has a screen with over 60 Hz refresh rate, running CRU can fix the resolution. And for the crashing, some settings in Graphics Rules Maker might be able to fix it. I would suggest exhausting every option before purchasing a new laptop just for running the game.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 2nd Jun 2021 at 2:16 AM
First try getting the game to work on the one you have, then buy a new one if nothing works. Chances are you'll have the same issues on a new computer if you can't figure out the fixes on the old one.

I'd be rather skeptical to buying a really old, used laptop on Ebay, too (but some people prefer buying used, I guess?). You really don't know what you get, especially if you're not very computer-savvy and don't quite know what you're looking for. Could be alright, but you could also get unlucky with the buy and get a fixer-upper that won't last you more than a few months to a year or so, maybe with problems you don't know how to solve.

Most likely you'll get a better deal if you buy new but go for an older model. On newish models it's sually it's the newer graphic cards that cost a lot, or large SSDs and/or lots of extra storage space, fancy screen, newest/best models of this-and-that, and anything else with bells and whistles.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 7:44 PM
Does it need to be a laptop? A desktop will generally run the game better and be more easily upgradeable if parts wear out. Of course they take up more space.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Scholar
#21 Old 4th Jun 2021 at 3:39 PM
anything with 2 core Sandy-Bridge CPU (i3-2xxx is the lowest end not counting ultramobile Celerons) and GPU at the level of GF6800/ATI X800 (see in how ancient history we need to dig into? )* and 4GB RAM will run the game fully upgraded to the last EP just fine *without* the newer beautifications or extensive (I mean 1GB> extensive) modding.
BTW the native recognized system was Windows 98SE2/Vista, not W7 (though W7 is just better choice)

Most average machines 5yrs old or smth will run the game even with said modding and beautification** that means Intel's Broadwell/Skylake arch (ix-5xxx/ix-6xxx) - at this point you will find SSDs in these laptops and Win10 infestation ofc. minimum RAM should be 8GB.

Game works perfectly fine on Linux machines (tested with Broadwell line of Thinkpads (T450 exactly) without any discrete GPU, just embedded Intel HD 5500).

I'd avoid old "gaming" laptops - they're chunky, loud, tends to cook themselves on prolonged extensive use, and are not so much better than current consumer devices (though they may have other benefits like better keyboard sometimes). Anyway - such machines usually are in not the best shape sold on the 2nd-hand market and will require careful maintenance rather sooner than later.

Just stop worry and pick your poison

*these specs can run Sims 3 in an acceptable way if you're able to manage your expectations
**this mostly depends of the GPU/iGPU, relatively recent mods like skylines/new clothes etc. uses big or/and Hi-Res textures which will be taxing for the older machines. Though theirs presence are completely optional.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"