Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 10:55 AM Last edited by emmyjulia : 27th Apr 2020 at 9:25 AM.
Default Tipped chair (SOLVED)
Hello guys!
I decied to convert a chair from Ts4 and when I previewd it in SimPE the chair is tipping over. Laying on it's back. Why? I have never had this problem before with chairs. I tried the chair in game to and still the same. Did I do something wrong when I exported the mesh? I am pretty sure I didn't do anything beside the usual way.

Thanks in advance!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 2:36 PM
It's probably a TS4 thing.

Make sure you match the placement of the chair with a TS2 chair in a meshing program, as the placement is different between the games.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#3 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 3:57 PM
I don't think  it's a TS4 thing, but rather the export/import settings on your mesh editor.  It's been so long since I've changed the settings, but I know several of them swap x/y/z axis during import/export.  If it sits properly on the "floor" in your mesh editor, then it's the export settings.  Although, in TS2 dining chairs do not "sit on the floor" anyway.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 4:24 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Apr 2020 at 4:43 PM.
Could be it's exported wrongly from Milkshape (or Blender? Another program?), since the orientation shown in the GMDC dropdown list looks right (XZY).

Normally, the Y axis is up/down, and Z + X are out to the sides (one is left/right, the other is forward/back, I can never remember which is which). SimPE has Z as the up/down axis, Y replaces Z, and I think the X is reversed (so - instead of +). This can potentially cause some orientation problems if using the wrong settings or anything like that.

I assume you may be using S4Studio and that you've exported the mesh with Blender without taking it through Milkshape first (where you'd probably have seen the issue with the turned mesh). If so, make sure to use these settings:
(I'd guess including the orientation since that's giving you problems - these settings always work for me. You can also save them with the + icon so you have them ready the next time you're exporting OBJs)

The placement of chairs still may need to be fixed. TS4 chairs are placed at Z (Y) - 0, while TS2 chairs are placed below that (see attached pic).

Simple non-wall deco meshes can for the most part be used directly between TS4 and TS2 (basically, if you can put it on a table in TS4 it's probably fine), but anything interactable or placed on the wall, or with slots like tables, chairs, shelves, curtains, wall deco, etc. most likely need to be repositioned, or they will be in the wrong position or below the ground.
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 8:10 PM Last edited by emmyjulia : 26th Apr 2020 at 8:34 PM.
Thank you @simmer22 but I hade exactly these setting in blender when exportet and I also did take it through Milkshape. That's why I thought it was odd, never had it happen before.

And the picture shows the chair in Milkshape. So technically I only need to place the chair below Z(Y)-0? And how do I do that?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Apr 2020 at 9:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 26th Apr 2020 at 9:23 PM.
Could just be a one-time bug. Maybe you clicked one of the boxes with the position without realizing. I've had lots of those moments with Blender...

I assume you've made a TS2 chair mesh file with the Object workshop in SimPE?
If so, export that original mesh, import it into Milkshape, and adjust the TS4 chair so it fits within the position of the TS2 chair. I think it works fine for chairs to just move it down, but for certain objects you may have to do some manual adjustments in addition to positioning, like lengthening/shortening pieces of the mesh. Depends on what you're making, really. When you're happy with it, save the file as a Milkshape file (so you can more easily do adjustments later). Then delete the TS4 shadow (use the TS2 one, due to better mapping and fewer polys) and the TS2 chair, and export the mesh. Now it should be fine to import into Milkshape.

If you meant how to move the mesh (in Milkshape), in the "Group" tab, click the groups you want to select and click the "select" button below (select them one by one, they'll light up in red), then click the "Model" tab and the "move" button, and use one of the side views to move it up and down. You can limit constraints to just the Y by clicking the X and Z buttons under "move options" (active ones are blue, deactivated ones are white).
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 9:24 AM
Thank you so much @simmer22!
I did redo all the steps + lowered the chair in Milkshape with a TS2 Chair mesh and the chair works perfectly fine in game know
Screenshots
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Normally, the Y axis is up/down, and Z + X are out to the sides (one is left/right, the other is forward/back, I can never remember which is which). SimPE has Z as the up/down axis, Y replaces Z, and I think the X is reversed (so - instead of +). This can potentially cause some orientation problems if using the wrong settings or anything like that.

Back when computer graphics was 2D Y was up/down and X was left/right. 3D introduced Z for forwards/backwards and all 3D programs that I'm aware of retain that use of XYZ except SimPE which is totally messed up.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 3:51 PM
Oh, I know all about SimPE making a mess out of the XYZ. One word: Slots. Dfficulty level: Rotated and moved slots, on a n animated mesh that already had everything rotated 180 degrees to start with (had a fight with that particular project a while back)

But it's a good way to remember which one is the 3D one. X=horizontal (flat/1D), Y=vertical (2D), Z= the one that enables 3D.
Except for SimPE. That one doesn't make much sense...