Replies: 5271 (Who?), Viewed: 235174 times.
Page 211 of 211
Mad Poster
#5251 Old 18th Jun 2020 at 3:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
Anyone here catch Covid-19? Cuz I think my wife has it. She's not talking to me tho'.
Oh, no! Is she living with you? I haven't caught it *knocks on wood*. I'm scared to death for reasons.....I've had friends who have had it and luckily survived. I've had friends who have lost loved ones from it.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
#5252 Old 18th Jun 2020 at 4:40 PM
Yes we live together. I got a text message saying she has the symptoms but I'm hearing stuff through our daughter. I feel fine, but I guess I can't go do anything now. I'm sort of on the side of "get it and get it over with one way or another". I'm not big on living in fear.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#5253 Old 19th Jun 2020 at 1:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
Yes we live together. I got a text message saying she has the symptoms but I'm hearing stuff through our daughter. I feel fine, but I guess I can't go do anything now. I'm sort of on the side of "get it and get it over with one way or another". I'm not big on living in fear.
I appreciate the sentiment and hope that if you do get it, it's not a big deal. For some it is. For me, it could be deadly and it would most likely be deadly for my boyfriend, so I'm being extra-cautious.

Hope you are ok .

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
#5254 Old 20th Jun 2020 at 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
(Also, I think it's a sign I'm getting tired when I briefly poke into the TS3 section and see someone tell someone else to open a TS3 file with Custard - whatever that is - and get a sudden urge to yell out FISH FINGERS! )

That reminds me of a skit in Alas Smith and Jones years ago in which a family is sitting around the table doing their own thing, and one suddenly says "fish fingers!" Perhaps you're referring to that but it's pretty funny.
Mad Poster
#5255 Old 20th Jun 2020 at 2:35 AM
Almost (but a few seasons too late on the Smith and Jones reference, although there's a Smith here too ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2RKAHu-kI
Top Secret Researcher
#5256 Old 20th Jun 2020 at 3:56 AM
Oh dear. Last Thanksgiving (November 2019 something) I bought 4 LED bulbs with an advertised MTBF (mean time between failure) of 10 years. I only needed one to replace the bad florescent 15 year bulb that only lasted 2 years.
Just put the last of the 4 bulbs into the kitchen.
It's not that I think I'm a good and honest engineer, I'm not that good. But whomever engineered these bulbs doesn't know how to do a failure modes analysis.
Then I fell off the chair I was standing on to put the bulb in and banged my head on the sink.
The rest of the story... Is the FUTURE!

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#5257 Old 20th Jun 2020 at 1:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Jun 2020 at 11:21 PM.
^ Those lightbulb MTBFs aren't to be trusted outside of a lab.

On the first floor we probably have to change lightbulbs at least 3 times a year in one of the lamps, no matter which bulbs we use. Granted, the lamp is turned on most of the time, but still. If they're supposed to last 10 years or some such, they're supposed to last 10 years or even one year, not 3-4 months... Then again, the lamp(s) in question are 30+ years old and there's probably some slightly questionable electric wiring, so that could be part of the problem.

I'm guessing they mean the bulbs are meant to last 15 years if you turn them on and off every so often, not with continual use. If so they're probably right. I think we've had lightbulbs we haven't changed in at least 5-15 years in the house, but that's because they're in bedrooms and probably just on for less than 20 minutes every day.

---

And the sleepyhead (my brother) decided to sleep right through dinner and then some, causing the other sleepyhead (mom, who's fallen asleep right now) to worry for six hours straight about what had happened (she goes directly to chrisis mode after about an hour, though). Turned out he'd (as per usual of late) slept through who knows how many missed calls, texts and whatnots, in the end finally waking up when we went over there and pretty much held in the door bell for a while to make sure the sleepyhead was indeed alive and well. At least everything was fine. Even had me a bit worried there for a while, even if it's not the first time (by far) and probably won't be the last time (by far) either. Every time he actually does show up on time for dinner (or a minute or two early) he should get a medal, because that's something that happens so occasionally it's a surprise every single time. You know the "better late than never" motto? I think he runs by the motto "unless you actually do manage to show up roughly in the area of 'on time' every once in a blue moon, then it's better to show up sometime in the vague area of 'later than what's generally thought to be acceptably late' than to never show up at all - unless you fall asleep, then never show up at all, and don't even bother calling or texting to tell anyone you'll be late - and whatever you do, never say sorry for being late because for whatever reason it's of course not your fault, so be pissed off at everyone for being worried for not having heard a word from you for several hours..." Mom still thinks there's hope, but when dinner is ready, I tend to give up after about five to ten minutes now.
Top Secret Researcher
#5258 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 12:26 AM
Quote:
Almost (but a few seasons too late on the Smith and Jones reference, although there's a Smith here too ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo2RKAHu-kI

Ahh Dr Who. I used to watch it years ago but haven't recently.
Mad Poster
#5259 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 1:03 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Jun 2020 at 3:33 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavannatw
Ahh Dr Who. I used to watch it years ago but haven't recently.

I watched it all through Capaldi, then fell off the train, and then everyone just kept saying the new season with the new doc wasn't any good, so at first I didn't really feel I was missing anything. I've been meaning to sit down and watch it but haven't gotten that far (whenever I can find it - web TV is being really difficult in that you almost have to sign up at 10 different places these days just to find that one series you want to see, if it's even available for your country. Sometimes it's honestly easier to buy a DVD).

I have most of 9 through 12 minus a few specials, so those I can watch whenever I like

Someone must have thought I was a bit crazy last christmas, because I bought pretty much the whole lot of Star Trek on DVD (the older ones), but I did get them on sale. Considering the Doctor (the holographic one, mind) is my favorite character there - apparently I have a thing for doctors in space

I've been trying to locate them on some sort of web TV but more often than not looking for a series without signing up first (window shopping to see if it's worth it) is like looking for a needle in a haystack when you have to buy the magnet first (and yes, I know some of them has the "try one month for free" thing, but still...) Why can't they just put up a list of shows on an easy to read list so people know what they can see (or not see)? Would be so much easier... I've been trying the same with the DC comics series (Supergirl/Flash/Arrow/etc.) but those are a nightmare, airing in I don't know how many different places. I think that would need at least 3-5 different subscriptions (aren't there at least 7-8 series by now?) .
Mad Poster
#5260 Old 26th Jun 2020 at 1:54 AM
I've had way too much caffeine today. Since my brain won't shut off, may as well talk about stuff.

In the news today...

Quote:
In a Wednesday interview with Fox News Channel, Greater New York Black Lives Matter president Hawk Newsome warned that if the country “doesn’t give us what we want, then we will burn down this system and replace it.”

“If this country doesn’t give us what we want, then we will burn down the system and replace it. All right? And I could be speaking figuratively, I could be speaking literally,” Newsome told The Story host Martha MacCallum.” It’s a matter of interpretation. Let’s be very real and let’s observe the history of the 1960s. When black people were rioting, we have their highest growth in wealth, in property ownership. Think about the last few weeks. Since you started protesting there have been eight cops fired across the country.”

Hawk went on to talk about how BLM isn't violent or anything.  Unless a person has been living under a rock, we all know how Hawk defines not being violent.  Shooting, looting, robbery, arson, black on black violence, ect...  The threat he made is a federal criminal offense by the way.  Doesn't every innocent, law-abiding, peaceful person make threats that fall under a felony?  People that are helping fund this crap are very much part of the problem.

With that being said, let's see how this wealth thing has panned out. Obama admin vs Trump admin style..  All stats are posted with links to the US Census Bureau.  These stats are not color specific for 2012-2013, but there is a breakdown for 2017-2018.

Poverty levels for 2012-2013

In 2013, about 48.8 million people or 15.8 percent of the U.S. population had income below the poverty level. Neither the number nor the rate for 2013 was statistically different from 2012.

This is the second consecutive year without a statistically significant change in the poverty rate. In the previous 4 years, the poverty rate increased each year.

New Jersey, New Mexico, and Washington experienced increases in both the number and percentage of people in poverty between 2012 and 2013. New Hampshire and Wyoming experienced declines in both the number and percentage of people in poverty.

Between 2012 and 2013, the number and percentage of people in poverty in 42 states and the District of Columbia remained statistically unchanged.

https://www.census.gov/library/publ...acsbr13-01.html

Poverty levels for 2017-2018

In 2018, for the first time in 11 years, the official poverty rate was significantly lower than 2007, the year before the most recent recession.

In 2018, there were 38.1 million people in poverty, approximately 1.4 million fewer people than 2017.

The 2018 real median income of Asian households increased 4.6 percent from 2017 to $87,194, while the real median incomes of non-Hispanic  White ($70,642), Black ($41,361), and Hispanic ($51,450) households were not statistically different from their 2017 medians (Figure 1 and Table A-1).

From 2017 to 2018, the poverty rate decreased for non-Hispanic Whites; females; native-born people; people living in the Northeast, Midwest, and West; people living inside metropolitan statistical areas and principal cities; people without a disability; those with some college education; people in families; and people in female householder families.

https://www.census.gov/library/publ...mo/p60-266.html

Day in, day out the media, big business, Hollywood and all the other shitheads that think they are important keep yapping about how Trump only cares about white people.  He doesn't care about non-whites, he hasn't helped people out of poverty, blah,blah,blah,blah.  The facts show otherwise.

More people were in and and if we're being honest, kept in poverty ( Congress and states run by Democrats are to blame) for the entire 8 years Obama was in office.  It would be great if the above mentioned shitheads along with Hawk Newsome and the turds from Twitter, Google and Facebook got their facts straight. Where was all this screaming, noise and Death to America under Obama?  Defend poverty under Obama, Burn Down the US Down when a person lifts people out of poverty.

Such a interesting time we live in....
Top Secret Researcher
DELETED POST
26th Jun 2020 at 3:58 AM
This message has been deleted by Emmett Brown. Reason: Nah. Let it be.
Top Secret Researcher
#5261 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 2:44 AM
So it's still Friday here. And a day of penance. I'm fridge hunting and make a tuna sandwich but then I run out of tuna. Nope! Can't eat that pork roast today! No sirree! without even thinking, I pour myself a big glass of wine and grab a bowl of spicy Pork skins. Make it all the way to my mouth and think "you idiot! You poured white wine to eat with your spicy pork skins! FISH goes with white wine!"
Sometimes I'm so stupid it's scares me.

Sims are better than us.
Lab Assistant
#5262 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 7:12 AM
Pretty mad at the mail delivery service. Thanks to them the muffins my mum sent me for my birthday will be spoiled when I can fetch them from the post office today!
Mad Poster
#5263 Old 27th Jun 2020 at 11:20 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 27th Jun 2020 at 3:39 PM.
Fell asleep in front of the computer a couple times last night, until I finally woke up enough to go to bed. Then a stupid bird woke me up a few hours later. It ran around outside my bedroom window screeching like a mad siren. Had to bang my fist against the wall to scare it (and its friends) off. And then my brain went into its "but I don't want to go back to sleep!" overtired-toddler-footstomping-mode and starts wandering in all kinds of directions except for back to sleep (which happens regardless of whether or not enough sleep has been achieved) and after about an hour I just gave up. So I have no idea how many hours I've slept altogether, but I'm tired... Then again, I'm pretty much constantly tired these days, whether I've slept for three or eight hours, whether I've had an erratic sleep pattern for a week, or whether I've had 3 weeks of perfect, even, eight-hour sleep...
Lab Assistant
#5264 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 5:03 AM
Ugh, the past two weeks have been absolutely awful. My
PTSD is flaring so badly and I’m really struggling this time. This makes it hard to even fathom eating, which in turn worsens other problems and creates new ones... I’m not supposed to be losing weight right now, but I think I might be. We’ll see at my doctor. I have Ensures galore to at least try to prevent malnutrition, though. My hair is finally starting to grow back and I don’t want to start losing it again! Or have to go through the nightmare that was recovering from malnutrition again. It’s an awful, painful, very long and very gross process. It’s actually fascinating to me the way the human body can go so berserk in reaction to being treated properly after so long.

I would also like a night where I can sleep and not wake up in a cold sweat an average of 4 hours later... but baby steps, I’ll focus on decreasing stress and eating before trying to ask for any more favors from the universe lol.
Lab Assistant
#5265 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 6:59 AM
Yesterday was just one of those days. When I was handed that package my parents sent me, it looked like someone had played soccer with it...
When I wanted to prepare my lunch, for which I wanted to try something new, I saw that the mushrooms which are the essence for my idea, had gone furry. I'd bought them the day before and they were stored in the fridge...
In the evening I was playing the Sims, and a massive meteorite hit the school during schoolhours and all my children died...
Scholar
DELETED POST
28th Jun 2020 at 12:12 PM
This message has been deleted by ChinchillaJesus. Reason: I’m just stressed out and upset.
Mad Poster
#5266 Old 4th Jul 2020 at 2:00 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 4th Jul 2020 at 3:52 PM.
I'm pissed off about a lot of things.

COVID: Nobody in the house is sick, I'm just tired of it like everybody else.

Mosquitoes are packin' EEE in my area. For those that don't know what that is...

Quote:
EEE virus is a rare cause of brain infections (encephalitis). Only a few cases are reported in the United States each year. Most occur in eastern or Gulf Coast states. Approximately 30% of people with EEE die and many survivors have ongoing neurologic problems.

https://www.cdc.gov/easternequineen...itis/index.html

There are stories of Swine Flu soon being a thing.  Yet again, Chinese can't help themselves and keep their shit where it starts.

Had to call the plumber, it's July 4th. No idea if he's going to call me back or not. I really need him to as I don't want my house flooded via dead hot water heater.  Washing dishes and cleaning is going to great; one pan of hot water at a time.

Fun times! My water is hot, time to go scrub the bathroom.

EDIT: Plumber called me back; he'll be here Monday.

On a lighter note, clothes smell and look much better after being 'stripped'.  Since I'm housebound anyway, towels are getting the strip treatment. I'm using hot water heated up on the stove. The water in the bin is already grey. Yuck!
Scholar
#5267 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 12:01 PM
Quote:
Fell asleep in front of the computer a couple times last night, until I finally woke up enough to go to bed. Then a stupid bird woke me up a few hours later. It ran around outside my bedroom window screeching like a mad siren. Had to bang my fist against the wall to scare it (and its friends) off. And then my brain went into its "but I don't want to go back to sleep!" overtired-toddler-footstomping-mode and starts wandering in all kinds of directions except for back to sleep (which happens regardless of whether or not enough sleep has been achieved) and after about an hour I just gave up. So I have no idea how many hours I've slept altogether, but I'm tired... Then again, I'm pretty much constantly tired these days, whether I've slept for three or eight hours, whether I've had an erratic sleep pattern for a week, or whether I've had 3 weeks of perfect, even, eight-hour sleep...

The secret is eight and a half hours of sleep
Mad Poster
#5268 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 3:33 PM
^ If you can tell me where I can find that extra half hour, or in this case, about 3 hours.

I woke up from some or another dream to what sounded like the ceiling falling down. Maybe five minutes later it sounded like someone almost fell down the stairs with something very heavy. Then mom decided to vacuumclean the ktichen and stairs (which is extremely noisy), and finally she walked forth and back for about ten minutes or so, which is also very noisy because the kitchen is directly above my bedroom. I gave up about then, and got up.
(kind-of early, and very noisy delivery of stove, in case you wondered - our old one threw in the towel last week).
Test Subject
#5269 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 4:31 PM
I just want to vent I suppose and pop this here, but please do not believe everything you read or hear about on the internet. With the current state of affairs no matter where you are in the world, it's hard not to tune in to some kind of news channel or web feed, but how much can we truly believe? I've seen the media whip up my country and local community into a panic-buying frenzy and seen first-hand how over exaggerated and overblown they make things. (There was easily enough produce and goods to go around, there was never any shortages. Panic buying only made it appear so.)

I'm sure someone here must see this insanity too - the sheer contradiction of views, opinions, 'facts', articles, whatever: look after your own mental health and make your own headlines in your life.

I hope someone out there hears me among all the complete and utter horse**** going around.

Eternally skipping life's jump rope.
Instructor
#5270 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 10:31 PM
Katharine Birbalsingh: "Black Lives Matters methods are all about intimidating people in order to make them agree with their point of view. If one disagrees, they attack brutally - physically or verbally, insult calling racists."
source
Lab Assistant
#5271 Old 9th Jul 2020 at 1:21 PM Last edited by MIKYA : 9th Jul 2020 at 1:23 PM. Reason: clarity
My computer got hacked which means no modding and no Sims until I get it back. No idea how it happened but I started having problems after talking to and following the advice of official EA/Origin customer support. Careful y’all.
Mad Poster
#5272 Old 9th Jul 2020 at 5:06 PM
^ What kind of advice?
Could be some scammer pretending to be EA/Origin support, and it could be useful for other players to know what kind of advice they should be wary of following. You may also want to report the incident to EA/Origin in case they can do something about it.
Page 211 of 211