Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 8:51 PM
Yeah, it's a MacBook Pro. OS X 10.6.6.
Advertisement
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#102 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by misseureka
Yeah, it's a MacBook Pro. OS X 10.6.6.
S3PE needs .NET framework 3.5, so you can't run it on MacOS. There is the Mono framework (that TS3 uses), but it only implements .NET 2.0. Try using Echo's Postal. I don't know if you need to do anything special to start it on MacOS, though, except installing the Java framework.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#103 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 10:17 PM
To run S3PE on OS X you install Mono, then run S3PE via terminal. Open terminal, type Mono then drag the exe into the terminal window and press enter. If Postal will do the same thing for XML modding then that would probably run better since it's Java based.
Test Subject
#104 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
To run S3PE on OS X you install Mono, then run S3PE via terminal. Open terminal, type Mono then drag the exe into the terminal window and press enter. If Postal will do the same thing for XML modding then that would probably run better since it's Java based.

I do that and it says "mono: command not found." Gahh. So many problems.
#105 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by misseureka
I do that and it says "mono: command not found." Gahh. So many problems.
Did you install the MONO framework?

Test Subject
#106 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
Did you install the MONO framework?

Yeah. Is it possible I didn't install it properly?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#107 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 10:38 PM
Quote:
Depending on your exact setup, you may have to explicitly tell mono to use X11 for drawing operations (this is not enabled by default), like so:

- open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
- type export MONO_MWF_MAC_FORCE_X11=1 and hit enter
- type mono /path/to/your/exe (or the easy way: type mono and a space, then drop the exe onto the terminal window) and hit enter

That's and excerpt from pbox's setup in help. Maybe try that.
Test Subject
#108 Old 20th Feb 2011 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
That's and excerpt from pbox's setup in help. Maybe try that.

Whenever I try that, it says, "-bash: mono: command not found."
Test Subject
#109 Old 24th Feb 2011 at 9:43 PM
Hi, I was Just wondering how I can make a mod for my game, ver. 1.8. The mod I'm trying to make is one that modifies how many traits each sim can have. I pretty sure I found the file that I'm supposed to export and modify, and followed the steps that I had memorized, I tested it, and the traits available for each sim was exactly the same everytime, and so I proceeded to try different ways of doing it, and it still didn't work. So now I'm lost and confused because it didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
#110 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 3:34 PM
OSUTINDIIN: Please describe what you actually did. Which resources did you alter in what way?

Test Subject
#111 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 4:39 PM Last edited by OSUTINDIIN : 25th Feb 2011 at 5:04 PM.
OSUTINDIIN: Please describe what you actually did. Which resources did you alter in what way?

I was basing my mod off of Rainbow brites mod. The mod I was basing it off of was RB MoreTraits EAYACT 20.rar, because I tried her mod and it didn't work. So I opened up the GameplayData.package in s3pe, opened up her mod in s3pe, and found the _XML called TraitManager_0x85009be60155d3c6, so I exported it, closed the GameplayData.Package, made a new mod and imported what I just exported from the GameplayData, and I changed the amount of traits each age group could have, as based off of Rainbow brites. I then saved the package, named it, and placed it in my packages folder (Game Ver. 1.8.25, so I would have to place it into Computer\Local Disk (C!)\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages). I tested it in game, It didn't work, so I tried to Modify the actual GameplayData.Package, that didn't work. Now I have no clue what to do. and that is why I'm asking for help. (I also checked the tutorial on this site, to make sure I was doing everything right, there were a few things I did different, but I tried it the tutorials way and my two ways, neither worked.) That is why I'm asking for help now. I don't even know if I was touching the right _XML file, just because it didn't work.

(I did (C!) because I can't Do (C: ) because it looks completely wrong, and you can tell what it does with out the space (C. Is there a way to disable it doing this.)
#112 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 5:15 PM
@OSUTINDIIN: How did it not work, or better what effect do you expect?

FYI: The number of traits you can apply to a sim by in-game means (CAS of "Modify Traits" cheat interaction) is hard-coded an can only be changed by a core mod. The effect of changing the TraitManager tuning is very subtle and explained in RB's upload post. Also you can still only apply more than the number of hard-coded traits with another mod.

Test Subject
#113 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 5:36 PM
@OSUTINDIIN: How did it not work, or better what effect do you expect?

FYI: The number of traits you can apply to a sim by in-game means (CAS of "Modify Traits" cheat interaction) is hard-coded an can only be changed by a core mod. The effect of changing the TraitManager tuning is very subtle and explained in RB's upload post. Also you can still only apply more than the number of hard-coded traits with another mod.

It didn't work with either of the two ways I tried it: I first would try it in story mode by enabling testing cheats, and then shift clicking on one of my sims in a house I already made to go into the modify traits screen. I would try to add more traits, but could only have five. I also tried it in create a sim. It didn't work there either.
#114 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OSUTINDIIN
It didn't work with either of the two ways I tried it:{...}
That is what I just told you, right? A tuning mod cannot affect this. You need another mod, like twallan's MasterController, to add more traits to a sim.

Test Subject
#115 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 6:17 PM
I grabbed twallan's mod, and tried it, but it made it so my core mod didn't work (is it a core mod, because if it is, it doesn't state it noticeably on the site you download it from.) Is there a way to take certain parts from his mod, and merge them into my core mod to get it to work?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#116 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 7:28 PM
It's not a core mod, and shouldn't conflict with a core mod. It may be possible to use bits of his code but honestly, it's not going to be at all easy, quick, or fun - Master Controller is a BIG script mod with a bajillion functions and unless you're an experienced programmer, I don't think you'd be able to do it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#117 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
It's not a core mod, and shouldn't conflict with a core mod. It may be possible to use bits of his code but honestly, it's not going to be at all easy, quick, or fun - Master Controller is a BIG script mod with a bajillion functions and unless you're an experienced programmer, I don't think you'd be able to do it.

Would it be possible that the reason my core mod stopped working was because the other mod wasn't compatible with my game (version 1.8.25)?
I ask because I am just trying the mod without my core mod, right now, and it still doesn't work (I seem to doubt that that's the case, but It does seem like a possibility). If that is a possibility, I could always try to get an older version of the mod, and see if it works then. Please get back to me to let me know if that is a possibility, as I am know professional.
#118 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OSUTINDIIN
I grabbed twallan's mod, and tried it, but it made it so my core mod didn't work (is it a core mod, because if it is, it doesn't state it noticeably on the site you download it from.)
What do you mean "your" core mod? If you mean the mod you made following the instructions of this tutorial, then that is not a core mod. It is a tuning mod. And no mod breaks such a simple mod, except a tuning mod that overrides the very same resource.

And twallan's mods aren't core mods except for two that are clearly labeled as such. The others are scripting mods as stated in the sticky in his mods forum.

Quote:
Is there a way to take certain parts from his mod, and merge them into my core mod to get it to work?
You are really on the wrong track here. Your tuning mod doesn't conflict with MasterController and you can't merge a tuning mod and scripting mod beyond putting the resources in the same file. Which would be completely pointless.

Again, if your mod does the same thing as RB's mod, then it is in fact functional. That it doesn't do what you expect it to do, is an entirely different matter.

Test Subject
#119 Old 25th Feb 2011 at 8:17 PM Last edited by OSUTINDIIN : 28th Feb 2011 at 1:42 PM.
What do you mean "your" core mod? If you mean the mod you made following the instructions of this tutorial, then that is not a core mod. It is a tuning mod. And no mod breaks such a simple mod, except a tuning mod that overrides the very same resource.

And twallan's mods aren't core mods except for two that are clearly labeled as such. The others are scripting mods as stated in the sticky in his mods forum.

You are really on the wrong track here. Your tuning mod doesn't conflict with MasterController and you can't merge a tuning mod and scripting mod beyond putting the resources in the same file. Which would be completely pointless.

Again, if your mod does the same thing as RB's mod, then it is in fact functional. That it doesn't do what you expect it to do, is an entirely different matter.

I know the minor differences between a tuning, scripting, and a core mod, and for one thing, I know the mod I made isn't a core mod, it is a tuning mod, I was referring to an actual core mod that I downloaded and had to update my game from 1.7.9 - 1.8.25 to get to work, and I thought it might be conflicting with my core mod, that is until I took out my core mod to try to see if it would work, and it still doesn't. That is why I'm asking if it is possible that the version of the mastercontroller is conflicting with my version of the game, causing both the mastercontroller with the core mod not to work (both don't work), and the mastercontroller alone not to work (without core mod). I may not have typed enough information for you to catch onto that I was referring to an actuall core mod in my game, but I really don't appreciate you treating me as if I don't have a clue of what I am talking about.

update, finally decided to update to 1.19, I kinda felt I should so I could use new mods.
Test Subject
#120 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 9:57 PM
So, I downloaded Postal but I'm not entirely sure how to run S3PE with it. The tutorial on this site seems to be written for PCs, and I'm a bit confused.
#121 Old 1st Mar 2011 at 10:11 PM
misseureka: You can't run S3PE with Postal. S3PE and Postal are both tools to edit package files, and they run on their own. In their respective frameworks of course.

Test Subject
#122 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 12:23 AM
misseureka: You can't run S3PE with Postal. S3PE and Postal are both tools to edit package files, and they run on their own. In their respective frameworks of course.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH I understand. Okay. So is there a tutorial I should read or something?
Mad Poster
#123 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 1:18 AM
Depends on what you wish to learn, here's a good place to start - Sims 3:Moddingwiki
Test Subject
#124 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by werismyki
Depends on what you wish to learn, here's a good place to start - Sims 3:Moddingwiki

I mean for using Postal specifically, since the tutorials on this site seem to be only for PC users with S3PE.
Field Researcher
#125 Old 1st Jun 2011 at 11:26 PM
I can't find the gameplayData.package file for the Sims 3 Generations... what file should I be looking in for XML tuning the new EP?

Thanks!

~ h e l a e n e ~
https://www.patreon.com/helaene (free)
Page 5 of 8