Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 3:12 PM Last edited by bairy : 13th Jul 2005 at 6:27 PM.
Default My lot loads forever! My lot crashes when it's loading! My lot won't load at all!
This is an FAQ long overdue, but the answer is still the same. If it takes forever for the lot to load (once you're already in the neighborhood), chances are a recolor or a new object mesh or a hack snuck in with that lot (or custom content you recently downloaded) that was badly made or incompatible. Make sure you read all the disclaimers that come with the download before installing. Make sure you have all the necessary components.

If you ever find yourself in this predicament, take this as a suggestion and start organizing your downloads and follow this guide.

If you put everything you've downloaded into your Downloads folder, the best thing to do is to move the folder to your Desktop and then start the game up again. Will your lot load now? More than likely you should no longer have any problems and that only tells you that the problem stemmed from something that you downloaded. Now you'll need to go through your Downloads folder and find the culprit.

Create an empty Downloads folder in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and then reinstall the CEP files. Then start moving your files back (from the Downloads folder on your Desktop) a handful at a time. Restart your game and test loading your lot. With the next batch that you move, if the lot freezes while loading, then you know the problem child is in that batch.

Note #1:
If you can remember the date of last time you had no problems loading that particular lot, then sort your Downloads folder by modified date and take out all the ones that you put in there after that date. That might help narrow down your search (especially if you have tens of thousands of downloaded files).

Note #2:
Use Clean Installer when installing lots. The current Maxis installer grabs anything and everything when packaging lots so you really don't know what you're getting unless the creator is mindful to check the .sims2pack before sharing it with the world. This is sooooo important and can't be stressed any further. You can find Clean Installer here: http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com
86 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 7:35 PM Last edited by daysies : 26th Feb 2006 at 5:35 PM.
Default Removing hacks while in use
Quote: Originally posted by Dr Pixel
Removing the hack from the downloads folder usually will fix the problem -

But, sometimes strange things will happen on a lot if a Sim was in the midst of "using" a hack when the game was last saved.

For example, I knew when I installed University that I had to get rid of any hacked careers, which I did.

No problems after the install, except for one lot which would crash as soon as it had loaded.

I finally tracked it down - one of the Sims on the lot had just gotten pregnant before I saved the game, and she was in a hacked career.

The first thing the game wanted to do after the lot loaded was to give her the time off from this career which was no longer there - result was an instant game crash.

==================================

It is also possible for two hacks, each perfectly good and harmless on their own, to interfere with each other if both are used in the game at the same time.

Reference: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=70561
Locked thread