Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#851 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I have no idea how you could begin to understand that film without watching Twin peaks first! The series and movie (and all the other related bits) are favourites of mine.

I like that film as well - it was very well done as a prequel to Twin Peaks.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#852 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 3:01 AM
4 films I saw recently - 1) Men(7) - the actors are very good and the film is very creepy - about a woman whose husband committed suicide and she goes to stay at a beautiful property in a small village to get away from it all
2) Lost Illusions (8) - excellent actors in this film version of the Balzac novel about a young man's rise and fall in early 19th century Paris
3) Crimes of the Future - (7) - (lately I sometimes have trouble hearing what characters are saying when I see a film in a theater - this one was especially difficult for me to hear) It takes place in a fairly bad future where people modify their bodies in extreme ways for something to do and to get attention. In the meantime, other people are being born with genetic mutations. It ended and I was like 'wait - is that the end?' bcs it was abrupt.
4) News from Home - a film by Chantal Akerman - time travel to the late 70s in NYC - (8)
Field Researcher
#853 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 12:08 AM
Suicide Room: Hater
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvjlYUzhijQ
6/10
Good presentation of how a sociopath/narcissist acts, although there were some inconsistencies. Shows how delusional politicians are and how easily people can be manipulated by them via social media etc. I realised that social media makes people jittery and unsure about whether what they see or hear is true. Deleting all our social media gives us a chance to experience the world free of constant manipulation and gives us a chance to discover our new, happier selves.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Scholar
#854 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
The Deer Hunter (1978) - 4/10
An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

Three hours of mostly boredom, with nothing to recommend it besides a couple of Russian Roulette scenes.

Yeah that was on tv a few weeks back and I like nearly died. I'd forgotten that older movies were slow and it's been a while since I've sat to actually watch a movie so it felt even longer than it should have.

Rewatched Scarface last night. I don't remember it being like that but I still enjoyed it 7/10 I guess
Field Researcher
#855 Old 2nd Nov 2022 at 2:36 PM
Death becomes her 1992
8/10

Test Subject
#856 Old 5th Nov 2022 at 7:02 AM
just watched The Addams Family (the 1991 version) for the first time and I love it. 10/10 for spooky cheesiness factor.
Field Researcher
#857 Old 25th Nov 2022 at 1:16 PM
Znachor (1982) 9/10
Masterpiece is the only word which can describe this film + a funny clip from the movie

Forum Resident
#858 Old 7th Dec 2022 at 2:24 AM Last edited by Deshong : 3rd Feb 2023 at 1:29 AM.
What happened to ScaryRob? Banned?

MFKZ (10/10)
Just watched this today and not only is the animation style unique but I really enjoyed the esoteric storyline. The setting is interesting too and the parody about some things like GTA. Anyway, maybe someday a sequel could happen because I'd be interested in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Qor3xMfW0

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham Knight
Mad Poster
#859 Old 22nd Dec 2022 at 9:34 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 25th Dec 2022 at 9:34 AM. Reason: Clarity
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

99/100

A collection of the three featurettes from 1966 to 1973 featuring Winnie the Pooh and the other animal friends of the Hundred Acre Wood.

Each featurette contain two short stories, interconnected with an animation that gave the movie a storybook feel and for the last chapter, it will have a heart to heart between Christopher Robin and Pooh that has the sort of intimacy a child and beloved bear have where Christopher Robin makes Pooh remember not to forget him, even if CR is 100 and Pooh is 99 (according to trivia, Winnie the Pooh was Christopher Robin Milne's first birthday present.)

And the line, which sometimes leaves me in tears "Wherever they go, and whatever happens to them along the way...in that Enchanted Place on top of the forest, a little bear will always be waiting..."

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Field Researcher
#860 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 6:11 PM
10/10

Együtt kezdtük a Hungarian comedy. A coming of age story, in flashback, of a group of high school students graduating in 2011. Each will take a different path from here on. Someone wrote a comment at IMDB and it feels as if they had read my mind and one of the characters was so relatable.

Honestly it's such a vibe. Presents the typical Hungarian holiday perfectly, summer feeling, nostalgia. I loved it a lot. Really Hungarian, but in the good way, surprisingly. The jokes, the characters, all of it is just so comforting and so relatable as a Hungarian (but I think for every Eastern/Central European person). The videography is so beautiful too. Mucsi and Kanyó Kata owned the show. I haven't laughed this much in a Hungarian movie since Buék (2018). It definitely deserves more attention. It's really cool it's on Netflix now, maybe that will get it some more hype. I think you should give it a try!

Teaser (turn on the subtitles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmpJoVk8yz8
Screenshots

Scholar
#861 Old 23rd May 2023 at 11:57 AM
Marauders (2016) 7/10

It was weird seeing Bruce Willis with so little screen time. Also I thought one of the characters was probably dodgy but was hoping I was wrong but I wasn't and I dunno how I feel about that.
Test Subject
#862 Old 6th Jun 2023 at 2:27 PM
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023) - 9/10

A kaleidoscope of colour and music from start to finish
Test Subject
#863 Old 10th Jul 2023 at 12:43 PM
Black Adam. Got to say I really enjoyed it I just dont understand why it was slated.
Scholar
#864 Old 21st Jul 2023 at 8:05 PM
Falling Down (1993) 8/10

They definitely don't make movies like this anymore! I can't think of any recent action movie that I've seen that has interesting themes or was properly enjoyable cos of how the story is put together. Also, it kind of has game energy you know? Like each dramatic scene is the next level where he's gotta defeat the enemy and so on until he gets to the big boss. Fun times.
Scholar
#865 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 8:33 PM
Barbie (2023) 8/10

I don't know what I was expecting but I liked the movie and how it was put together
Theorist
#866 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
What happened to ScaryRob? Banned?

Yup, for a year. Here's the relevant thread, if you're curious. Make of it what you will.

Anyone want to know what I've watched during my time away? There's quite a few, but I can summarize in one post.
Forum Resident
#867 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 9:32 PM
Well, I'm glad that you are back.

You probably watched a lot of movies, lol. I do miss watching movies on a regular basis. Lately though, I've been really into zombie or survival type series. I don't think I will ever bore of the zombie or whatever monstrosity outbreaks. I'm absolutely falling in love with Korean shows. Hopefully there will be more from other foreign countries too.

The last movie I half watched, I think, was Avatar: Way of Water. I watched mostly the ending on tv and got captivated by that even though I didn't watch from the beginning and barely knew what was even going on. Even though I didn't get much time to get to know who the new characters were it was still incredibly sad and made me pensive for the like the next week, lol. Great storytelling always makes me happy and/or thoughtful. But yeah, Avatar, the technology behind it is so impressive and so beautiful.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition (Hard Mode: Y!? All side missions and Riddler trophies/riddles/physical challenges completed in the main campaign.)

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#868 Old 12th Aug 2023 at 11:10 PM
Theorist
#869 Old 13th Aug 2023 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Well, I'm glad that you are back.

You probably watched a lot of movies, lol.

Thanks for the welcome back.
Yes, for a while I continued to watch a good number of films, all free online, of course. I've tapered off during the past few months though, mainly because I seem to be running out of films that still interest me. I've been watching exclusively at the tubitv.com site, and specifically their Art-House category which has many of the foreign films.

Quote:
I do miss watching movies on a regular basis. Lately though, I've been really into zombie or survival type series. I don't think I will ever bore of the zombie or whatever monstrosity outbreaks. I'm absolutely falling in love with Korean shows. Hopefully there will be more from other foreign countries too.

My weakness are post-apocalyptic films, but that theme as also been done to death and the most recent two I watched were horrible.
I think easily the best films I've seen in recent years were Korean and Japanese, so I'm curious which Korean shows you like and where to watch them.

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@ScaryRob Welcome back!

Thanks.
Theorist
#870 Old 13th Aug 2023 at 4:16 PM
Okay, so I take it that at least the above two folks might have some interst in what I've been watching over the past year.
I'll need to break up my list into two or three posts, since the list is somewhat long. Mostly, I'll just post a rating for a film, with only a few short comments in some cases.

I have decided to somewhat modify the 1-10 rating system because opinions are very subjective. From now on, I will rate the films I've watched as Bad, Mediocre, Good, and Very Good, with the corresponding numeric ratings as follows:

Bad = 1-4
Mediocre = 4-6
Good = 6-8
Very Good = 8-10

The overlaps are deliberate, again, since everything is very subjective. So, for example, if I rate a film as "Good" it would be equivalent to a rating of 6 through 8, on the usual scale of 1 through 10.

Here's the first installment of what I've watched over the past year:

Audition (1999, Japan, subtitled): A widower takes an offer to screen girls at a special audition, arranged for him by a friend to find him a new wife. The one he fancies is not who she appears to be after all.
Very Good (8-10)

Borgman (2013, Netherlands, subtitled): A vagrant enters the lives of an arrogant upper-class family, turning their lives into a psychological nightmare in the process.
My comment: Although nominally amusing, I'm not sure what message this film tries to convey. I'm not a fan of these European artsy-fartsy films that supposedly contain some profound hidden meanings or "social commentary".
Mediocre (4-6)

Mother (2009, Korea, subtitled): A mother desperately searches for the killer who framed her son for a girl's horrific murder.
Very Good (8-10)

I Think We're Alone Now (2018): The apocalypse proves to be a blessing in disguise for one lucky recluse - until a second survivor arrives with the threat of companionship.
Bad (1-4)

E.M.P. 333 Days (2018): After an E.M.P. (Electro Magnetic Pulse) weapon is deployed, North America is forced to live in pre-industrial conditions. Anything electrical is useless, sending North American nations into anarchy. An introverted 11 year old girl must fend and fight for herself while trying to find her father.
Bad (1-4)

The Hunt (2012, Denmark/Sweden, subtitled): A teacher lives a lonely life, all the while struggling over his son's custody. His life slowly gets better as he finds love and receives good news from his son, but his new luck is about to be brutally shattered by an innocent little lie.
Very Good (8-10)

Tokyo Sonata (2008, Japan, subtitled): An ordinary Japanese family slowly disintegrates after its patriarch loses his job at a prominent company.
Very Good (8-10)

Strozsek (1977, Germany, subtitled): In Berlin, an alcoholic man, recently released from prison, joins his elderly friend and a prostitute in a determined dream to leave Germany and seek a better life in Wisconsin.
My comment: Another German-directed film that apparently tries to show that no matter how miserable one's life might be in Germany, it's still better than life in the USA. As a person who was born and lived the first ten years of my life in Germany, all I can says is...Yeah, as if... This film reminds me strongly of the film 'Paris, Texas', which I mentioned uptopic, and which is another German-directed film that tries to depict the USA as a hopelessly degenerate shithole inhabited only by imbeciles.
Mediocre (4-6)

Robinson Crusoe (1954): The classic story of Robinson Crusoe, a man who is dragged to a desert island after a shipwreck.
My comment: As a child, I once had a comic book that depicted a modern-day version of this classic, wherein the stranding happened as a result of a pilot's fighter plane ditching in the ocean near a desert island. Cool island adventures ensued. I wish I still had that comic.
Good (6-8)

Stockholm (2018): Based on the absurd but true 1973 bank heist and hostage crisis in Stockholm that was documented in the New Yorker as the origins of the 'Stockholm Syndrome'.
Mediocre (4-6)

Blue Ruin (2013): A mysterious outsider's quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family.
My comment: Like so many Hollywood-styled "Independent" films that are labeled Drama/Crime/Thriller, it is ruined by eventually becoming an Action movie.
Mediocre (4-6)

We Need To Talk About Kevin (2011): Kevin's mother struggles to love her strange child despite the increasingly dangerous things he says and does as he grows up. But Kevin is just getting started, and his final act will be beyond anything anyone imagined.
My comment: This belongs on the low end of my Mediocre rating. It's almost Bad, but I suppose some people might like it.
Mediocre (4-6)

At Eternity's Gate (2018): A look at the life of painter Vincent van Gogh during the time he lived in Arles and Auvers-sur-Oise, France.
Mediocre (4-6)

Beast (2018): A troubled woman living in an isolated community finds herself pulled between the control of her oppressive family and the allure of a secretive outsider suspected of a series of brutal murders.
Good (6-8)

Hard Candy (2005): Hayley's a smart, charming teenage girl. Jeff's a handsome, smooth fashion photographer. An Internet chat, a coffee shop meet-up, an impromptu fashion shoot back at Jeff's place. Jeff thinks it's his lucky night. He's in for a surprise.
Good (6-8)
Theorist
#871 Old 13th Aug 2023 at 4:31 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 14th Aug 2023 at 8:26 PM.
Continued...

Strangled (2016, Hungary, subtitled): True story of a serial killer in 1950-60s Hungary.
My comment: Similar to the excellent 'Citizen-X' (but dealing with a different killer in a different country).
Very Good (8-10)

Burning (2018, Korea, subtitled): Jong-su bumps into a girl who used to live in the same neighborhood, who asks him to look after her cat while she's on a trip to Africa. When back, she introduces Ben, a mysterious guy she met there, who confesses his secret hobby.
My comment: I could've done without the gratuitous male masturbation scenes which, as usual, add nothing to the story. I put this at the lower range of Very Good.
Very Good (8-10)

The Complex (2014, Japan, subtitled): A nursing student moves into an apartment complex with her family and learns a dark and terrifying secret that is trying to claw its way right to her.
Mediocre (4-6)

Boyhood (2014): The life of Mason, from early childhood to his arrival at college.
Mediocre (4-6)

The Connection (2014, France, subtitled): Magistrate Pierre Michel goes on a relentless crusade to dismantle the most notorious drug smuggling operation in history: the French Connection.
My comment: The French half of the famous French Connection crime story, based on real events, and just as good as the excellent old French Connection movies from the 1970s.
Very Good (8-10)

Wendy and Lucy (2008): For Wendy, the drive to Ketchikan, Alaska, was meant to be the start of a new life. But when her car breaks down in Oregon, everything unravels.
Very Good (8-10)

Gerry (2002): A friendship between two young men is tested when they go for a hike in a desert and forget to bring any water or food with them.
Bad (1-4)

The Lazarus Effect (2015): A group of medical researchers discover a way to bring dead patients back to life.
My comment: Similar to the old 'Flatliners' movie, although I don't remember whether that one was as dumb as this one.
Bad (1-4)

The Sicilian Girl (2008, Italy, subtitled): The true story of 17-year-old Sicilian Rita Atria, who broke the Sicilian Mafia's code of silence and testified against the "family business" after both her father and then her brother are both murdered, is brought to vivid life in Marco Amenta's hard-hitting and wonderfully acted drama.
Very Good (8-10)

Meadowland (2015): A year after their son goes missing, a couple handle the loss in varying ways, growing apart from one another and their reality.
Mediocre (4-6)

The Proposition (2004): A lawman apprehends a notorious outlaw and gives him nine days to kill his older brother, or else they'll execute his younger brother.
My comment: I'm not a fan of Westerns, and the fact that this one takes place in the Australian Outback hardly makes it any better.
Medicocre (4-6)

Louder Than Bombs (2016): The fractious family of a father and his two sons confront their different feelings and memories of their deceased wife and mother, a famed war photographer.
My comment: I don't remember much at all about this one, which probably means it borderline sucked, or actually did suck.
Mediocre (4-6)

What Maisie Knew (2012): In New York City, a young girl is caught in the middle of her parents' bitter custody battle.
Very Good (8-10)

Gabriel (2015): A troubled young man searches obsessively for his first love, risking everything in an increasingly desperate pursuit.
My comment: Another one that I don't remember much about. Probably low Mediocre, at best.
Mediocre (4-6)

Joint Security Area (2000, Korea, subtitled): After a shooting incident at the North-South Korean border DMZ leaves two North Korean soldiers dead, a neutral Swiss and Swedish team investigates what actually happened.
My comment: The highly improbable plot makes this just stupid.
Bad (1-4)
Theorist
#872 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 6:54 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 15th Aug 2023 at 2:13 AM.
This is turning out to be several posts, haha.
Continued...

Avenues (2017): On his birthday following the suicide of his brother, Max and his friend Peter wander the wintry streets of Manhattan contemplating life, livelihood, and what it means to be an adult.
My comment: Barely Mediocre.
Mediocre (4-6)

Rabbit Hole (2010): Life for a happy couple is turned upside down after their young son dies in an accident.
My comment: Another Hollywood emotional saga. Low Mediocre, at best.
Mediocre (4-6)

God's Pocket (2014): A blue collar worker tries to cover things up when his stepson is killed in a suspicious accident, but a local reporter senses that something's amiss.
My comment: It occurred to me that every character in this film is depicted as being an imbecile. Of course, it's Hollywood's depiction of the White working class, so it's to be expected, but it's nevertheless always amazing to see how low actors will stoop to make a buck.
Mediocre (4-6)

Wildlife (2018): A teenage boy must deal with his mother's complicated response after his father temporarily abandons them to take a menial and dangerous job.
Mediocre (4-6)

A Single Shot (2013): The tragic death of a beautiful young girl starts a tense and atmospheric game of cat and mouse between hunter John Moon and the hardened backwater criminals out for his blood.
My comment: Don't remember much about this. Something about a hunter, money, drugs, d-i-v-o-r-c-e, pickup trucks and the like, all in hillbilly country. Low Mediocre at best.
Mediocre (4-6)

Hick (2011): A Nebraska teen gets more than she bargained for when she sets out for the bright lights of Las Vegas.
Bad (1-4)

Cold in July (2014): When a protective father meets a murderous ex-con, both need to deviate from the path they are on as they soon find themselves entangled in a downwards spiral of lies and violence while having to confront their own inner psyche.
My comment: As I remember, this story is as convoluted as it sounds. Another "independent" film that tries too hard. Barely Mediocre.
Mediocre (4-6)

The Cobbler (2014): A cobbler, bored of his everyday life, stumbles upon a magical heirloom that allows him to become other people and see the world in a different way.
Bad (1-4)

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016): A father and son, both coroners, are pulled into a complex mystery while attempting to identify the body of a young woman, who was apparently harboring dark secrets.
Bad (1-4)

The Killer Inside Me (2010): A charming small town sheriff is slowly unmasked as a dangerous serial killer when his murder victims start showing up in his jurisdiction.
Mediocre (4-6)

The Housemaid (2010, Korea, subtitled): A man's affair with his family's housemaid leads to dark consequences.
Mediocre (4-6)

Minari (2020, USA, subtitled): A Korean American family moves to an Arkansas farm in search of its own American dream. Amidst the challenges of new life in the strange and rugged Ozarks, they discover the undeniable resilience of family and what really makes a home.
My comment: I knew this was going to be good right from the music during the opening scenes.
Very Good (8-10)

Marjorie Prime (2017); A service that provides holographic recreations of deceased loved ones allows a woman to come face-to-face with the younger version of her late husband.
Bad (1-4)

Transsiberian (2008): A Transsiberian train journey from China to Moscow becomes a thrilling chase of deception and murder when an American couple encounters a mysterious pair of fellow travelers.
Good (6-8)

Personal Shopper (2016): A personal shopper in Paris refuses to leave the city until she makes contact with her twin brother who previously died there. Her life becomes more complicated when a mysterious person contacts her via text message.
Mediocre (4-6)
Theorist
#873 Old 14th Aug 2023 at 8:19 PM
Continued...

4:44 Last Day On Earth (2011): A look at how a painter and a successful actor spend their last day together before the world comes to an end.
Bad (1-4)

State Like Sleep (2019): A woman grapples with the consequences of her celebrity husband's double life after he commits suicide.
My comment: I cannot remember a single thing about this film, which by definition means it is entirely forgettable.
Bad (1-4)

Dumplings (2004, China, subtitled): Aunt Mei's famous homemade dumplings provide amazing age-defying qualities popular with middle-aged women. But her latest customer - a fading actress - is determined to find out what the secret ingredient is.
Mediocre (4-6)

Helpless (2012, Korea, subtitled): A man searches for his fiancée who vanished without a trace just before their wedding ceremony, only to discover the shocking identity of her.
Good (6-8)

Once Upon a Time in Venice (2017): A Los Angeles detective seeks out the ruthless gang that stole his dog.
Mediocre (4-6)

Into the Abyss (2011): Conversations with death row inmate Michael Perry and those affected by his crime serve as an examination of why people - and the state - kill.
My comment: Yet still another German film depicting the worst that America has to offer.
Mediocre (4-6)

Detour (1945): The life of Al Roberts, a pianist in a New York nightclub, turns into a nightmare when he decides to hitchhike to Los Angeles to visit his girlfriend.
My comment: Starts off good, but then turns into a Fast Talking, High Trousers film.
Mediocre (4-6)

Perfect Number (2012, Korea, subtitled): Brilliant math teacher formulates the perfect cover-up, after his neighbor murders her abusive ex-husband.
Mediocre (4-6)

Chronicles of Evil (2015, Korea, subtitled): A decorated detective involved in a taxi driver's death realizes he is caught in a trap and must untangle past mistakes to figure out why he was targeted in the first place.
Mediocre (4-6)

Like Father, Like Son (2013, Japan, subtitled): Ryota is a successful workaholic businessman. When he learns that his biological son was switched with another boy after birth, he faces the difficult decision to choose his true son or the boy he and his wife have raised as their own.
Very Good (8-10)

Still Walking (2008, Japan, subtitled): A family gathers together for a commemorative ritual whose nature only gradually becomes clear.
My comment: Lots of dialogue, especially early on, and therefore lots of subtitles to read. Too many in fact, so this distracts considerably.
Mediocre (4-6)

Nobody Knows (2004, Japan, subtitled): In a small Tokyo apartment, twelve-year-old Akira must care for his younger siblings after their mother leaves them and shows no sign of returning.
Good (6-8)

Secret Sunshine (2007, Korea, subtitled): A woman moves to the town where her dead husband was born. As she tries to fit in, another tragic event overturns her life.
Good (6-8)

The Night of the Hunter (1955): A self-proclaimed preacher marries a gullible widow whose young children are reluctant to tell him where their real daddy hid the $10,000 he'd stolen in a robbery.
Bad (1-4)

Night Train to Lisbon (2013): Swiss Professor Raimund Gregorius (Jeremy Irons) abandons his lectures and buttoned-down life to embark on a thrilling adventure that will take him on a journey to the very heart of himself.
My comment: Good, for a Commie love story.
Good (6-8)
Theorist
#874 Old 15th Aug 2023 at 10:22 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 17th Aug 2023 at 1:06 AM.
Continued...

Koyaanisqatsi (1982): A collection of expertly photographed phenomena with no conventional plot. The footage focuses on nature, humanity, and the relationship between them.
Mediocre (4-6)

Code 46 (2003): A futuristic Brief Encounter, this is a love story in which the romance is doomed by genetic incompatibility.
My comment: Sci-fi drivel, although probably a wet dream for the likes of Klaus Schwab and Yuval Noah Harari.
Bad (1-4)

Kill List (2011): Nearly a year after a botched job, a hitman takes a new assignment with the promise of a big payoff for three killings. What starts off as an easy task soon unravels, sending the killer into the heart of darkness.
Bad (1-4)

The Unknown Girl (2016): A doctor gets obsessed with the case of a dead woman after learning that the woman had died shortly after having rung her door for help.
Mediocre (4-6)

I Wish (2011, Japan, subtitled): Twelve-year-old Koichi, who has been separated from his brother Ryunosuke due to his parents' divorce, hears a rumor that the new bullet trains will precipitate a wish-granting miracle when they pass each other at top speed.
Mediocre (4-6)

A Most Wanted Man (2014): A Chechen Muslim illegally immigrates to Hamburg, where he gets caught in the international war on terror.
Good (6-8)

Sightseers (2012): Chris wants to show girlfriend Tina his world, but events soon conspire against the couple and their dream caravan holiday takes a very wrong turn.
Mediocre (4-6)

Black Coal, Thin Ice (2015, China, subtitled): An ex cop and his ex partner decide to follow up on investigation of a series of murders that ended their careers and shamed them, when identical murders begin again.
Mediocre (4-6)

Confession (2022, Korea, subtitled): A story about a man who has been pointed out as the culprit of a locked-room murder and his lawyer approaching the truth.
Mediocre (4-6)

Recalled (2021, Korea, subtitled): Disturbing visions about chilling accidents, post-traumatic memory loss and a woman's desperate fight to uncover the truth about her past.
Mediocre (4-6)

Tokyo! (2008, Japan, subtitled): A cinematic triptych of three Tokyo-set stories.
Mediocre (4-6)

First Man Into space (1959): The first pilot to leave Earth's atmosphere lands, then vanishes; but something with a craving for blood prowls the countryside...
My comment: Typical 1950's sci-fi. Low end of mediocre.
Mediocre (4-6)

Coming Home Again (2019): In San Francisco, a Korean-American man takes care of his dying mother and reflects upon their life, while she teaches him her traditional recipes.
Mediocre (4-6)

Everything Must Go (2010): When an alcoholic relapses, causing him to lose his wife and his job, he holds a yard sale on his front lawn in an attempt to start over. A new neighbor might be the key to his return to form.
Mediocre (4-6)

Okay, that's it, that's I've watched during the past year - 74 films. Equals about 1.5 per week. I might have missed a small handful, which I'll add if/when I remember.
Again, many of these can currently be watched for free on tubitv.com, Art House section.
Forum Resident
#875 Old 17th Aug 2023 at 12:38 AM Last edited by Deshong : 17th Aug 2023 at 12:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Thanks for the welcome back.
Yes, for a while I continued to watch a good number of films, all free online, of course. I've tapered off during the past few months though, mainly because I seem to be running out of films that still interest me. I've been watching exclusively at the tubitv.com site, and specifically their Art-House category which has many of the foreign films.

My weakness are post-apocalyptic films, but that theme as also been done to death and the most recent two I watched were horrible.
I think easily the best films I've seen in recent years were Korean and Japanese, so I'm curious which Korean shows you like and where to watch them.

Thanks.

Sure, no problem.

Ah, I'll have to check out tubitv site as I do enjoy foreign series and movies because it's so fascinatingly different than American culture. Thanks! And I know some foreigners are really big into American series/movies perhaps for a similar reason. Like it's sometimes evident in Japanese video games like Resident Evil 5 which was heavily inspired by Black Hawk Down and the original Resident Evil 4 was influenced by American movie culture though it is in the remake but a lot more subtle in my opinion.

I have Netflix; I'll be watching Zombieverse soon which is new.

Here are some of the shows I thoroughly enjoyed which may or may not be post apocalyptic. I also enjoy animation so some may be.
-Squid Game
-All of Us Are Dead
-Gantz: O
-Sweet Home
-Parasyte
-Aggretsuko
-Train to Busan (That made me cry, lol. The acting, art direction, everything is phenomenal.)
-Carole & Tuesday
-Stranger Things

Not long ago Netflix added a category for K-Drama's so that's exciting or at least I've recently noticed it, lol as I don't watch Netflix as often as I used to despite the monthly updates in shows and movies. Here are a few on my to watch list which may or not be K-drama:
-Over the Moon
-Extraordinary Attorney Woo
-Inspector Koo
-#Alive (Actually since this is a movie, I'll watch this first then Zombieverse.

=======

Okay, last movie I watched today came on tv and I watched it before but that was a long time ago so I didn't remember the plot well.

The Stepford Wives. (9/10)
I don't remember what I thought before but I find it interesting how it brings up how men, generally speaking, connect their career/financial success to their masculinity and find it demeaning to be "inferior" to a woman or their partner when she is more successful and makes more money.

Then on the flipside there's the woman's version which I keep seeing that same topic pop up on stuff like YouTube shorts from Tiktok or stuff. So now women lives are a lot different than it was back in the 1950's where traditionally the husband works and the wife is a stay-at-home wife and/or mother. Now that women are just as much in the workforce as men are, some can become so ambitious that they forget to balance out different aspects of their lives such as work, family, friends, personal time, etc. Like in The Sims 3 it gets really challenging depending on where my focus is lying and that video game encapsulates that potential issue I notice effortlessly capturing the reality of it all.

Anyway some women complain they are tired of working to exhaustion feeling like they have no choice because in some cultures or maybe it's a universal thing, girls are taught to be independent and self-sufficient. And while that is good, some might take that too far and end up missing out on some things in life. I have heard or read of horror stories of men just up and leaving or kick her out or her and the kids and now she's fighting to survive not only for herself but the kids too if that's the case. So I understand the notion of instilling into girls not to be solely independent on a man, or anyone for that matter, because sometimes people change for the worse.

So yeah, I found the movie interesting and thought-provoking as I do tend to appreciate mentally stimulating subject matter. I also like to correlate psychological observations in series/film to the real world as there's real world inspiration since all fiction is based on some kind of reality. So there isn't anything that I don't watch that I usually cannot pinpoint something connecting it to the real world. Oh, and video games too.

Page 35 of 39