5 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10326 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 1:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
To Whom It May Concern: I am sorry if I said anything offensive.
@grammapat No offence caused gramma, sorry if I worried you! As you know I often have 'accidental' deaths in my sims game, and allow ageing and NPC motive degradation. I was just pre-empting AndrewGloria, as I know his game is most Utopic, just having a joke so sorry if I caused any bother!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#10327 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 8:34 PM
Watching the Winter X-Games today has me thinking again about what winter sports things could be put together into a lot or set of a few lots to make a winter sports resort... I think I could make a decent looking snowboard halfpipe or a chairlift, and then there's also gimmes like the sauna and hot springs that just seem appropriate in a place like that too...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#10328 Old 14th Feb 2021 at 9:06 PM
I have tried to play apocalypse hoods. I have tried to play a hood where the seasonal flu wiped out a lot of the poorer families. I have tried to let refugees die on the Highway to Respite. And every single time, no matter how hard I try, I end up inventing some loophole that lets them live, or letting somebody plead with the Reaper for them.

The only Sims I can actually kill without remorse are the drama professors and the nannies. Sheesh, Maxis, how did you manage to make the nannies so detestable? Did you never read Mary Poppins?
Mad Poster
#10329 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 12:45 AM
Been thinking, was TS2 a big influencer of simulation games in the 2000s or did TS2 ultimately do its own thing?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#10330 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 1:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Been thinking, was TS2 a big influencer of simulation games in the 2000s or did TS2 ultimately do its own thing?

I think Will Wright was big influencer. Because before TS2 was The Sims and before The Sims was Sim City 2000, At least for me.
Mad Poster
#10331 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 5:37 AM
Current WIP includes the pirate ship, which I've never used before... I can think of a few other objects I haven't ever used, but any time I realize I'm using something for the first time I find myself wondering how many other things there are that I've never found a use for...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#10332 Old 15th Feb 2021 at 5:44 AM
It's great that everybody can play so many different types of towns and have all types of drama in their games ranging from apocalypse drama to drama of struggling to survive winters and to build up a sucessful farming community that will eventually become a big city.Others put realitionship drama into their games and that goes into mone as backstories of some of my wealtheir settlers in colonial times of the 16th or 17th centuries or the pioneers comint out west who had that in their homes back east or in Europe.I'll eventually see that in my games when the towns grow into cities in modern times.
Mad Poster
#10333 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 12:59 AM
I am thinking how much we lose if something bad happens to Pescado. (Waiting for his servers to work again)
Mad Poster
#10334 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 1:15 AM Last edited by HarVee : 16th Feb 2021 at 1:27 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
It's great that everybody can play so many different types of towns ...

Lately I've been listening to the Major Tom saga.

Major Tom saga; Peter Schilling's "Major Tom (Coming Home)", Elton John's "Rocket Man", and of course David Bowie's "Space Oddity".

I love doing 'hoods based upon themes taken from music and mythology so I think for my next 'hood a Major Tom inspired 'hood might be interesting to explore. Though I imagine I'll have to download a lot of scifi CC to make it plausible.

Field Researcher
#10335 Old 16th Feb 2021 at 4:57 AM
My teen sim had a fear of getting busted after sneaking out (which finally just happened) and he immediately rolled 2 new seperate fears of becoming enemies with his grandmother and grandfather and not even his parents who lives with them also awww.....

ETA: He rolled another want to sneak out again right after
Forum Resident
#10336 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 12:47 PM
I decided to install the Feverfew build/buy and hood deco cc without installing Feverfew itself and omg its so freaking beautiful

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Scholar
#10337 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 9:08 PM
@HarVee -- Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" also is part of that saga, although it mentions Major Tom in a decidedly unflattering light. My view is that it's the cover-up after he went off the rails and ran away to space.

My thoughts: I had to do some fiddling around with BHAVs in SimPE to tune a few mods to my liking, and since it actually makes sense, I've gotten interested in it. this led to me thinking, "WTH am I doing?" when what I was doing, according to the very well-written BHAV, was deciding which Sims go to Heaven! I have Chris Hatch's remember-own-death mod, but don't share his theological views on the fate of supernatural Sims -- they make a lot of sense when tied into the playable afterlives of A&N/T&A, but I don't have those and do have many custom supernaturals, so the division between who gets a good and who gets a bad death memory would be very arbitrary in my game. I ended up setting it so everyone gets a good memory ("goes to Heaven" in the mod's parlance) because my initial intention of shifting it to aspiration level at death was too complicated for my current knowledge level. I had ideas that gold and platinum aspirations would get good because they died happily or at least had a fulfilling life, deep red would also get good because at least they're finally done with all that trouble, and in-between would get bad because they hadn't achieved enough to be accepting of it. At least with all good, there won't be more for zombies or playable ghosts to moan about. I strongly suspect there will be some deaths soon to try it out in my most interesting hood...

Letting contagious zombies into my game led to it becoming too grimdark for me, and I only entertain the idea of allowing them again because I have made a point to now have multiple methods of keeping them in check. I guess the ideological backing for my playstyle is the ideas that the universe makes sense, that most people do not have bad intentions (even most of those who act bad are doing so because it's the best they can come up with) and that those who do will eventually be detected and swamped by the outrage of others, that things will get better (not great, and not necessarily for long, but better) if bad times are endured, and that if clouds don't have silver linings, then it's time to make them! A zombie apocalypse ruins that, and the parallels to Real Life over the past year are obvious enough that they stopped me from trying to fix my megahood in-story. (I was never afraid of nor that interested in zombies before this mess. Now I'm very afraid of them...) Regardless, every hood I play is either grim, scandalous, or both, and has been since my TS1 days. People in them have hope of things getting better, but more importantly, they have the little things in life that make it worthwhile and have those in much greater quantity than tends to be common in Real Life. I think that's the reason I cannot bring myself to not play at least largely wants-based, even in retro hoods or otherwise challenge-type situations. I think at least the early generations of Sims games are more attractive to players who aren't quite neurotypical than to the average gamer, which means most of us have piled-up traumas that we don't even recognize because "that's just normal life". Of course the ways we play our hoods aren't exact depictions of them, or even close to them -- too close a match doesn't allow room to process, and thus comes the zombies-during-a-pandemic problem. However, processing for one person can be triggering for another, which is why now that I know how nasty my hoods can be, I'm rather tentative in sharing their stories. In a way, that's freeing -- I wouldn't be going around messing with BHAVs if I had a storyline that "really matters" going on.
Instructor
#10338 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 10:11 PM
So I switched from the New Hair System to Simgaroop'd hairs so that I could download all of DeeDee's hairs because she's my fave person to download clothes from.
But after getting in game to check them out I was overwhelmed by having two browns and two reds, and not sure how to decide whether premades would have the light or dark brown/red because I'm playing a megahood and thus only playing premades.
I got so overwhelmed that I almost just threw away 2 days of downloading and went back to New Hair System.

However, I think I'll connect it to skin. Light and MedLight will have the light brown/red, and MedDark and Dark will have the dark brown/red. Alien skin I'll decide on a case-by-case basis, and any sim can have the black & blonde since there's only one of those.

This will help me with feeling like there's too much choice or not knowing which one to give them. Because I liked having only one shade per color, but as simgarooped hairs is an older system I like having hundreds more hairs than nhs has to offer. :P
Mad Poster
#10339 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Freefalldreams
@HarVee -- Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" also is part of that saga, although it mentions Major Tom in a decidedly unflattering light. My view is that it's the cover-up after he went off the rails and ran away to space.

Oh I know. I meant Space Oddity as in the album since it would've been too much to list all the songs from that album.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10340 Old 17th Feb 2021 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Freefalldreams
@HarVee -- Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" also is part of that saga,
In that case you'd probably have to include Hallo Spaceboy and Blackstar too.

Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Oh I know. I meant Space Oddity as in the album since it would've been too much to list all the songs from that album. 
Ashes is from Scary monsters. I love David Bowie's music! :lovestruc Major Tom would make a good sim, I think!
Mad Poster
#10341 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 12:27 AM Last edited by HarVee : 18th Feb 2021 at 12:46 AM.
You're right @simsample ! For a moment there I forgot which album it was on. You probably know more about Bowie than me since I rarely listen to Bowie, but I admit this saga has got me more intrigued in his work.

This is also why I am a tiny bit hesitant on planning the hood yet. I still need to get things organized right, and there is much more background info on these songs that I would like to research. I want to make sure I can keep the neighborhood story straight, plus there might be some puns and word play I can put in there that I'm not aware of yet.

See for me when I plan a hood based off something I like to be thorough and those song suggestions really do help me out.

Instructor
#10342 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 2:43 AM
Sometimes you've just gotta tell yourself nostalgia isn't a good enough reason to keep that hair from 2006 that you'll never ever, EVER use and just chuck it
Mad Poster
#10343 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
So I switched from the New Hair System to Simgaroop'd hairs so that I could download all of DeeDee's hairs because she's my fave person to download clothes from.
But after getting in game to check them out I was overwhelmed by having two browns and two reds, and not sure how to decide whether premades would have the light or dark brown/red because I'm playing a megahood and thus only playing premades.
I got so overwhelmed that I almost just threw away 2 days of downloading and went back to New Hair System.

However, I think I'll connect it to skin. Light and MedLight will have the light brown/red, and MedDark and Dark will have the dark brown/red. Alien skin I'll decide on a case-by-case basis, and any sim can have the black & blonde since there's only one of those.

This will help me with feeling like there's too much choice or not knowing which one to give them. Because I liked having only one shade per color, but as simgarooped hairs is an older system I like having hundreds more hairs than nhs has to offer. :P

You don't need to add all hair colors into Downloads. Just choose from them. I am using Pookleted hairs and there are usually around 22 colors, so I just choose 5 of them ( 4 base colors+grey) what I use.
Instructor
#10344 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
You don't need to add all hair colors into Downloads. Just choose from them. I am using Pookleted hairs and there are usually around 22 colors, so I just choose 5 of them ( 4 base colors+grey) what I use.

That's very true, except that at this point I really don't want to go through hundreds of individual folders to delete the extra ones If I'd have done that as I was downloading them perhaps, but now I'm stuck with them. It'd take too long to delete them in cas/bodyshop too. My Hair-Female-DeeDee folder has 705 hairstyles in it. Ain't doing it
Forum Resident
#10345 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 1:01 PM
That's very true, except that at this point I really don't want to go through hundreds of individual folders to delete the extra ones If I'd have done that as I was downloading them perhaps, but now I'm stuck with them. It'd take too long to delete them in cas/bodyshop too. My Hair-Female-DeeDee folder has 705 hairstyles in it. Ain't doing it

If you want to, you could temporarily sort your folders out by most recently updated, so you can easily find them. Funnily enough, I have hairstyles that have three to four different shades. It bothers me, but there's nothing I can do now, as I've already used them on sims in different hoods Can I be bothered altering them every time I load from a backup? Nope!

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Instructor
#10346 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
If you want to, you could temporarily sort your folders out by most recently updated, so you can easily find them.

Except, you see, I downloaded them all in one sitting. Just sat there, clicking through all 32 pages of DeeDee's hair, downloading every single one, for hours. So in terms of most recently updated they've all got the same date.
Deleting one color in cas/bodyshop and then watching the folders to see what date changed would be the easiest - and then just delete the other one out of those folders. But even that would take more time than I feel like putting in.

I kind of like my idea of tying the light/dark red/brown to the sim's skintone. So like Angela Pleasant will have the light red, Nina Caliente will have the dark red. Tiffany Sampson will have the light brown, Jasmine Rai would have the dark brown. And so on.
Forum Resident
#10347 Old 18th Feb 2021 at 3:05 PM
Except, you see, I downloaded them all in one sitting. Just sat there, clicking through all 32 pages of DeeDee's hair, downloading every single one, for hours. So in terms of most recently updated they've all got the same date.

Oh, I didn't think about the possibility of mass downloading
I kind of like my idea of tying the light/dark red/brown to the sim's skintone. So like Angela Pleasant will have the light red, Nina Caliente will have the dark red. Tiffany Sampson will have the light brown, Jasmine Rai would have the dark brown. And so on.

I think that's a neat idea, too. It gives different variety of hair colours in a way.

Mad Poster
#10348 Old 19th Feb 2021 at 10:52 PM
CASnarl, I use Amighty Hat's, which have four shades per color. I decide based on family lines.

All the Bowie fans: my nine and six year old daughters have become Labyrinth fans. (No maternal influence whatsoever in this, nuh-uh, pay no attention to my husband's astonishment that I, the non-movie watcher in the family, knew how to bump a disc to the top of his Netflix queue!) Just fyi, and completely non-sims related. Also, they can sing, and dance, and it's freaking adorable. (Finally, they are hooked on a show I can stand listening to over and over again!)

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
#10349 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 11:37 AM
This is a random question. I wasn't really sure where to post it but I suppose it does fit under "random thoughts" because....well....it was a random thing that came into my brain? ??

I wanna know.....what's the thinking here on this forum when it comes to "necromancing" a super old thread? Is it considered bad etiquette? Or is it excusable?

I just have a WCIF I wanna post about in the WCIF forums and I found a very old thread for it but the link to the mod I want no longer works. Would it be better for me to make a new thread or could I revive the old thread?

My simblrIcon credit
Forum Resident
#10350 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 1:35 PM
It depends. From what I've seen through other resurrected threads, it's more excusable if you've got something useful to say related to the topic in question. I don't think extremely old Help Forum topics are allowed to be necromanced, which makes sense. General discussions, I think it depends on having something worthwhile to say related to the topic. As for WCIF threads... I think it's fine if you're linking to custom content that the original poster wanted to find, but couldn't, as it can help others in the future.

I could be completely misunderstanding this, though. Someone who's been on the site longer may correct me

Page 414 of 511