Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 7:52 PM Last edited by Letcupcake : 20th Oct 2016 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
@littlesunshine123xx I love your story and how dramatic it is! I also loved to find out what happened to little Ambrosia, I'm so proud of her, truly! I also have VERY dramatic stories, they keep me entertained.
Ps: I can't believe that you are already on day 300! I've only been playing for 110 days now.

Play my sims 3 version of The Princess Challenge

Currently playing The Dynasty Challenge
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 4:20 PM
I'd love to hear your stories and anyone else's on here as well if they don't mind sharing.

I've only really been playing this challenge am a bit fed up with other challenge's
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 4:48 PM
Ok STORY TIME

Instructor
#54 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 7:47 PM
Here is some pictures of my families and my castle (not yet completed still) click on the spoiler to see them as don't want to flood the page with photo's.

Lab Assistant
#55 Old 22nd Oct 2016 at 4:59 PM Last edited by arrowsforpens : 22nd Oct 2016 at 6:21 PM.
Okay, sorry, hi, more questions for clarification, this time about gameplay rules:
  1. Does the day that the founder is created in CAS and moved into the Lot count as Day 0 or 1?
  2. Semi-salic & Marumakathayam inheritance laws seem to conflict with the rule that non-preferred gender children be uploaded to the exchange when they reach young adulthood. If those sims are already gone from the family once they've aged up, how can we access their children in the event that child becomes the next heir? Relying on the other player who "adopted" them to send a sim back seems fraught with complications as the person might not be available at the right time IRL or may have played faster and the sim in question may no longer be the right age. EDIT: in a later post you say it's up to our discretion whether we keep them in the game or upload them. Important for those laws especially I think!
  3. Can we get an example of Marumakathayam inheritance order for that family tree in the original post?
  4. Are sims who live in a cadet branch of the family or a monastery/nunnery supposed to live in a separated part of the house on the same lot or a completely separate household on a different lot? Having multiple lots would be difficult to control since time continues to pass while you're away from one of them (I know I don't like giving up that much control) and you can't rely on the sims' AI to do things like take care of themselves competently until you get back, so their careers and things will suffer. At the same time it's like, hard to get everything you can out of them in terms of score without SOME control. Makes me think a moving to a larger lot once the power base is established and creating 'outbuildings' might be the way to go.
  5. For plagues and wars, is that a % roll for each sim resulting in a hit or miss, or a blanket for-sure "kill x-percentage" of the population, selected at random? Statistically speaking those could lead to very different results
  6. Revolutions and neighborhood relationships is an interesting feature. The first thing that strikes me is that there's no inherent notification or anything to alert the player that their average relationship is negative. They would have to be tallied and calculated by hand at intervals. I haven't been playing Sims 4 that long but I don't think relationships bars have visible numbers anymore? Does anyone know of a way to get those values?
I think it would be an interesting aspect if buying a noble rank required befriending someone in every house on a street (or even winning fights against them) as well as being Good Friends with the monarch, to simulate taking control of your new seat of power.

I think you mentioned in a later post that you're open to suggestions on scoring rules and you sound pretty busy. Would you like me to take a shot at coming up with something elaborate like the Legacy Challenge has and we can go over it?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#56 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 4:46 AM Last edited by VT45 : 26th Oct 2016 at 1:52 AM.
Default Scoring and Answers
I quite like the scoring system that @arrowsforpens posted, but I'm going to post here some clarifications and tweaks.

Quote:
For scoring, I would suggest something similar to how Legacy challenges work, i.e. a point for every Heir that makes it to young adulthood, but with modifiers for how high their rank is? Obviously if sub-houses are worth 25% then the main part of the family is going to be working on intervals of more than 1 point at a time for most things.

It'd be rather difficult to tabulate points for this challenge by having the main house having multiple points as opposed to the junior houses taking decimal points, especially if more expansion packs come out that might mean more opportunities for expansion of this challenge. So for now, take the decimalised score for convents, holy orders, and junior branches.

Basically, treat this like the same way you would gamification of anything else: use points to reward behaviors you want to encourage, and punish failures. You mentioned having a house built like a castle, so let's have points for that. Is it the prerogative of the nobility to hold lavish feasts and curry favor with friend and foe alike? Points for party medals, and maybe a system for encouraging friendships with other neighborhood households (like x points per y Friends on every street, or something). Do you want to encourage us to build and display extensive libraries, gardens, and collections once the Renaissance event rolls? Points. Arranging marriages with sims from other players? Points again. Failures that might need punishing: missing bill payments (each time a utility is shut off), running out of money and needing to cancel household services (gardener/caterer/maid), each time a child is taken away by social services, each time a child's grades fall below "C" during Renaissance or Enlightenment events.

Decide what behaviors and attitudes you want to encourage and how important they are relative to each other. Based on your post I'd guess that the main goals are to maintain the dynasty and maintain power. Do you want to do points at the end of a monarch's reign (parties hosted, paintings commissioned, friendships made, etc?) or at the beginning when Heirs survive to young adulthood, or both?[/QUOTE]

Okay, so here we go for some actual concrete scoring:
+1 for every silver party medal
+2 for every gold party medal
+1 for every heir and spare born (as in a legitimate preferred-gender child born to the king and queen)
+1 for every heir that reaches young adulthood
+1 for marrying a member of another dynasty of the same rank (goes for both the uploader and the downloader)
+3 for marrying a member of another dynasty of a higher rank
-3 for marrying a member of another dynasty of a lower rank
+5 for every skill mastered (your main source of points from religious orders)
-1 for every child taken away by social services
-1 for every bill missed
-3 for every time utilities are shut off
-1 for every bronze party
-1 for every time a member of the nobility performs a chore
-1 for every time a child is discovered to be illegitimate
-1 for every legitimised bastard (something that happened quite often IRL, but it tended to piss off fully legitimate members of the dynasty. So feel free to do it but know there will be consequences)
-1 for every time a child's grade drops to C or below (after the beginning of the Renaissance)
-1 for every day a child's grade stays at C or below (after the beginning of the Renaissance)
-5 for every succession war
-5 for every revolution
+5 for loyalist victory
-5 for rebel victory
+1 point for every aspiration completed
+2 for every nobility level gained

If you can think of any other scoring ideas, feel free to post them.

Quote:
The other big decision to make will be whether you want to format the point system similar to the Legacy Challenge's, where there are 100 possible points and everything the player does counts towards a specific point within a category; or whether you want it to be straight up cumulative, just a free-for-all within the time limit where players can get as many points as they can earn. One thing I like about Legacy Challenge scoring is that earning points for things like completing Aspirations or maxing Skills becomes more difficult as the Challenge goes on, so at first it might be 1:1 but by the end you need like 55 Aspirations completed to get that last point. I think an important consideration is that this Challenge has a set length based on days rather than generations and that's going to need to be reflected in the scoring system somehow--a given kingdom could have any number of monarchs depending on how long they live. Might want to make more points available for long, powerful reigns than series of short-lived successions which can destabilize a kingdom.

I think it'd be easier in this context to leave it open, since there's no telling how many generations or how far into a generation someone would be by the time Day 2250 rolls around. So basically free for all with the number of points you can win. As for long reigns and stabilising effects on the kingdom, I'm gonna have to figure out that later on, as I'm not sure how to score that at the moment.

Quote:
Does the day that the founder is created in CAS and moved into the Lot count as Day 0 or 1?

Counts as Day 1.

Quote:
Can we get an example of Marumakathayam inheritance order for that family tree in the original post?

Sure. The thing to remember is that children in this system are considered members of their mother's family, not their father's. So the succession would go something like this (this is just hypothetical, since Marumakathayam and other forms of matrilineal inheritance are so rare in our own world):

1. Charles
2. Wilson
3. Timothy
4. Tom
5. Charlotte's son

I have a feeling that a lot of the sources on this form of inheritance haven't been translated, so if anyone here can read Malayalam, please let me know.

Quote:
Are sims who live in a cadet branch of the family or a monastery/nunnery supposed to live in a separated part of the house on the same lot or a completely separate household on a different lot? Having multiple lots would be difficult to control since time continues to pass while you're away from one of them (I know I don't like giving up that much control) and you can't rely on the sims' AI to do things like take care of themselves competently until you get back, so their careers and things will suffer. At the same time it's like, hard to get everything you can out of them in terms of score without SOME control. Makes me think a moving to a larger lot once the power base is established and creating 'outbuildings' might be the way to go.

I mean, you can do that at first, but very soon you'll have hit the household limit. So I would suggest either moving them to another lot in the neighbourhood or moving them into another savegame entirely. That way you can keep track of them more easily. Of course, the day they move in in the new savegame wouldn't be Day 1, but correspond to whatever day they were exported.

Quote:
For plagues and wars, is that a % roll for each sim resulting in a hit or miss, or a blanket for-sure "kill x-percentage" of the population, selected at random? Statistically speaking those could lead to very different results

Percent roll for each Sim resulting in a hit or miss.

Quote:
Revolutions and neighborhood relationships is an interesting feature. The first thing that strikes me is that there's no inherent notification or anything to alert the player that their average relationship is negative. They would have to be tallied and calculated by hand at intervals. I haven't been playing Sims 4 that long but I don't think relationships bars have visible numbers anymore? Does anyone know of a way to get those values?

Again that'd probably be something you have to tally on your own. Basically if more than half of the commoners have negative relations with your monarch, a revolution is triggered.

Also, a couple other things: With the new expansion pack introducing the politics career track, this is obviously going to be something open to the monarch. It was indeed the lack of a politics career track that got me to put together the hodge podge of possible jobs that I did.

And I just wanted to point out the existence of this site. In the AARs so far (which I'm loving btw) I found it hard to follow who was who, so feel free to use that site to create family tree diagrams for your dynasties.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#57 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 5:17 AM
Also, I'm loving the mods that everyone's using! Let me know what mods you're using cos I'd love to get a hold of them for my own playthrough.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 9:21 AM
http://www.familyecho.com this site is awesome, I'm totally going to make a nice family tree

Lab Assistant
#59 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 4:54 PM Last edited by Letcupcake : 24th Oct 2016 at 5:40 PM. Reason: (Forgot about Hazel)
My family tree!

Ps: I use pregnancy mod by mc commands so I don't have to check on my cadet branches a lot.
Screenshots

Test Subject
#60 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 3:02 PM
I really like this challenge so far. Just uploaded my first sim to the exchange: Maria Deveraux is her name
Test Subject
Original Poster
#61 Old 3rd Nov 2016 at 9:29 PM
If anyone wants to use this for NaNoWriMo, I wouldn't object. ;P
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 4th Nov 2016 at 12:10 AM
Hey guys! It's been almost two weeks! How are your families doing?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#63 Old 5th Nov 2016 at 3:38 PM
Killed by the plague apparently.
Test Subject
#64 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 9:34 PM
Default OP you are a genius
I am so excited for this I like legacies but I get bored after a generation or so. I might have to join Reddit just to keep up with this better!
Test Subject
#65 Old 12th Dec 2016 at 9:20 PM
When you say the monarchy must not lift a finger, does that mean after a certain point the current monarch can't hold a job? Just a little confused. Love the challenge though, I'm almost to the first plague!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#66 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 6:11 AM
No, the monarch can still hold a job. They just can't do domestic work.
Test Subject
#67 Old 31st Dec 2016 at 10:23 PM
I have a suggestion as far as illness goes. Love the idea that they can't take medicine until a specific point given the lack of medical knowledge. Following that, I'm going to add in my game a percentage chance the sim will die from said illness. As time passes, and medical knowledge increases the percentage will go down. Any ideas/comments/suggestions?
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Catrevill
I have a suggestion as far as illness goes. Love the idea that they can't take medicine until a specific point given the lack of medical knowledge. Following that, I'm going to add in my game a percentage chance the sim will die from said illness. As time passes, and medical knowledge increases the percentage will go down. Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

I ALWAYS DO THAT!
I roll a dice for every time someone get sick.

Instructor
#69 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 10:26 PM
I haven't been playing sims barely last few months but am back now. Haven't properly played my dynasty but downloaded loads of new furniture and some of your sims from the gallery. If you want to see your sims just click the spoiler. How is everyone else getting on been a bit quiet here?
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 2nd Jan 2017 at 11:11 PM Last edited by letitgo1776 : 3rd Jan 2017 at 3:07 AM.
I'll be doing this in ts3 in a custom world. Anyone want to join so we can trade princesses?
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 2:43 AM
So I started playing this adapted to ts3. King Jonah and Queen Cynthia are the founders. I also adjusted the event times and I'm playing on short lifespan because I don't have enough patience. They got robbed on the first night! Later that day (I have Nraas returner), Cynthia gave birth to Prince Jonah II, a genius and light sleeper.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 5:06 PM
Prince James has been born and he's an EVIL GENIUS!!! I honestly hope he dies of the plague.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 3rd Jan 2017 at 11:54 PM
I have also kinda stopped playing because I couldn't get enough money or inspiration to build my 2 huge castles so I just sort of didn't. But now, I kind of got a new inspiration. I'll build my castles slowly but surely.
@littlesunshine123xx loved seeing my beautiful girls, thank you very much

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 4th Jan 2017 at 2:10 AM
Aww, I got a disagree. I'll make my own then. Anyways, Princess Sophie was born (friendly and brave). The day she was to become a child and the day after, the entire family got the plague and died except her. Maybe she had an immunity. Since children are taken by social workers and I didn't want the story to end, I moved in a nanny to take care of her until she comes of age and becomes queen.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 4th Jan 2017 at 7:19 PM
The kingdom had been ravaged by the plague, leaving many dead. Meanwhile, it was Princess Sophie's birthday. Yvette Blackmon, the royal nanny, entered little Sophie's room.

"Happy birthday, Princess Sophie." she sighed. "Good morning, Nanny Blackmon. Why are you so sad?" "Your parents... they're gone. And they aren't coming back. And so are your brothers." "Where are they?" "... Someplace else." "Is Chef Peter still making a cake for me?" "No, he's gone too. And so are all the other staff. except me." "Oh... But I still get a new dress, right?" "Of course, dear."

Page 3 of 5