Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 2:05 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can old hacked objects cause game corruption?
Hey all, I recently got a new computer and I'm being drawn back into playing the sims 2. On my previous computer, I believe my game was corrupted due to continous crashing and I am unsure of what could have caused that to happen (but I did have the game on that PC for 4 years, so I must have done something prior to knowing about what can cause corruption to create it) so now I'm trying to play the sims 2 on my new PC entirely to avoid corruption in everyway possible. One of my main concerns are if old hacked objects can cause game corruption. For what I plan to do with my game this time around I'd like the option to kill sims, how will they be killed? through hacked objects, two of which being swords and guns. But, considering these hacked objects are old, could they cause game corruption?

One of the objects I plan to use is this sword mod that is found on MTS: https://modthesims.info/d/215543/fu...rd-updated.html
I recently tested it out and found a strange bug that had me concerned. For some reason whenever a sim puts the sword back, a weird jump bug occurs where sims will teleport back to the sword object and then back to where they were originally which had me worried, so I decided not to save my game when this happened. I went back into the lot and found that the problem was no longer present. Could this jump bug cause future problems?

Another mod I plan to use are these weapon mods which are an updated version of the old gun mods from simwardrobe (which site is no longer available online): https://gardenofshadows.org.uk/gard...73065#msg473065
This mod allows you to kill sims with a gun.

But since both mods kill sims, can it cause corruption? and whats with the sword mod's jump bug, could this be something to worry about?

JESSE!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 7:26 PM
Game corruption can only happen if you interact with the game in ways you really were not meant to. The wikia has a list of known things that cause neighborhood and game corruption: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...ding_corruption

I would also recommend you check the essential mods thread: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696 It contains a list of mods that keep your game stable. Especially the HoodChecker program can keep your neighborhood running long past its expiration date.

The mods you mention are old and unsupported, but also well known, so they're probably safe. I don't have them, so I don't know if they allow you to do anything stupid like killing Mrs Crumplebottom, but other than that, they sound harmless. The jump bug could have any number of causes. You could turn on testing cheats (boolProp testingcheatsenabled true) and see what kind of error message it generates.

Lastly, if your game is crashing on the new computer, there might be other reasons for it. Sims 2 doesn't play well with Windows 10 or newer graphic cards.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2020 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
Game corruption can only happen if you interact with the game in ways you really were not meant to. The wikia has a list of known things that cause neighborhood and game corruption: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...ding_corruption

I would also recommend you check the essential mods thread: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696 It contains a list of mods that keep your game stable. Especially the HoodChecker program can keep your neighborhood running long past its expiration date.

The mods you mention are old and unsupported, but also well known, so they're probably safe. I don't have them, so I don't know if they allow you to do anything stupid like killing Mrs Crumplebottom, but other than that, they sound harmless. The jump bug could have any number of causes. You could turn on testing cheats (boolProp testingcheatsenabled true) and see what kind of error message it generates.

Lastly, if your game is crashing on the new computer, there might be other reasons for it. Sims 2 doesn't play well with Windows 10 or newer graphic cards.

I haven't had the game crash yet on my new computer and actually the game runs way better than it did on my old PC, mainly because my sims 2 save data in my documents is stored on my SSD, allowing the game to load up way quicker than before. Also you said that turning on testingcheatsenabled can help generate an error message for the mod? how can you do this? is it the force error option?

JESSE!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 12:04 AM
Game corruption to the install files mostly only happens if you:
A)Mess with install files and delete something you shouldn't and did not make a backup of the file. (being carless basically)
B) You try and make universal characters like Grim selectable which borks their files. They are not to be touched with cheats. Their files are in the installation files.
I can't think of any other way to literally bork your install. it's quite easy to avoid.

Some form of hood corruption is possible.
A) Don't place the old Community lot time in game and also try Marola's slow hour clock together. I borked 2 lots doing that. Nothing for it but to bulldoze and replace.
B) You install custom food and pull it this will bork the sim's memory of Made food/ate food/Burnt food/favourite food- if those memories have been formed. You would need to fix it in simpe.
C) You pull custom eyes and the sims eyes revert to a painted on state. Again a needed fix in simpe.
D) You install any form of NPC mod and pull it. Not the items but the NPC part itself. This will cause hood wide corruption because it's the same as deleting a sim.
E) Your game crashes. It is possible for this to cause some form of corruption. Unfortunately the game sometimes crashes, CC or not. This is why you make a regular backup and add CC in carefully in an organized fashion. Don't just tip it all in.

Hood corruption is far more likely not from mods but because the player used the buttons in the game.
A) deleted sims in the family bin. Don't do it.
B) Moved an occupied house (includes graves and urns)into the lot bin. Don't do it.
C) moved sims between main hoods. EG Pleasantview to Strangetown. Don't do it.
D)Installed an occupied lot. Don't do it.
E) Deleted graves or the game itself randomly deleted them. Don't do it. Use No Unlink on delete.

Next ways to corrupt are because the player plays only vanilla and won't use the fix mods. Not using mods can also corrupt your hood or game. Please do not think mods are bad or dangerous. Many will save your hood or game.
A)Does not use No Unlink on delete- so graves when they delete themselves cause hood corruption. Does not use No Corrupt death and allows corruption to spread via gossip.
B) Plays vampires and lets Mrs C get bitten causing game corruption. Creature Fixes will stop that or ban Mrs C. Or make all Object packages in the install files read-only should also stop this.
C)Does not use No Sim Loaded + Smarter EP check and adds and pulls mods or downloads lots and then finds they have the Super Duper Hug. Not corruption, it's an annoying maxis code from the install files gone live in your gameplay.
D) has other bugs happening but does not have the Bat Box or Sim blender or SimPE or Hood Checker and has no way to fix things.

If something causes a jump bug turn on testing cheats and look at the error. Go back to the download (if it is still up) and read over it, it's possible you missed a file. Remove it from your game.
You can always kill sims, this is the safe way to get rid of them. Note* this does not remove their character file they are still there but now changed to a urn or grave.

Test old mods in a test game. Simply go to your Sims 2 folder, the one under documents where you place your CC. Go there and right-click on 'The Sims 2' and rename it to anything you like. Run the game and let it make you a second 'The Sims 2 folder' test old CC in there. The game only loads and reads the folder called 'The Sims 2' you can have as many folders as you like -or your computer can handle. Just be sure the folder you want to load is called 'The Sims 2' and the other folders are called something else.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2020 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Game corruption to the install files mostly only happens if you:
A)Mess with install files and delete something you shouldn't and did not make a backup of the file. (being carless basically)
B) You try and make universal characters like Grim selectable which borks their files. They are not to be touched with cheats. Their files are in the installation files.
I can't think of any other way to literally bork your install. it's quite easy to avoid.

Some form of hood corruption is possible.
A) Don't place the old Community lot time in game and also try Marola's slow hour clock together. I borked 2 lots doing that. Nothing for it but to bulldoze and replace.
B) You install custom food and pull it this will bork the sim's memory of Made food/ate food/Burnt food/favourite food- if those memories have been formed. You would need to fix it in simpe.
C) You pull custom eyes and the sims eyes revert to a painted on state. Again a needed fix in simpe.
D) You install any form of NPC mod and pull it. Not the items but the NPC part itself. This will cause hood wide corruption because it's the same as deleting a sim.
E) Your game crashes. It is possible for this to cause some form of corruption. Unfortunately the game sometimes crashes, CC or not. This is why you make a regular backup and add CC in carefully in an organized fashion. Don't just tip it all in.

Hood corruption is far more likely not from mods but because the player used the buttons in the game.
A) deleted sims in the family bin. Don't do it.
B) Moved an occupied house (includes graves and urns)into the lot bin. Don't do it.
C) moved sims between main hoods. EG Pleasantview to Strangetown. Don't do it.
D)Installed an occupied lot. Don't do it.
E) Deleted graves or the game itself randomly deleted them. Don't do it. Use No Unlink on delete.

Next ways to corrupt are because the player plays only vanilla and won't use the fix mods. Not using mods can also corrupt your hood or game. Please do not think mods are bad or dangerous. Many will save your hood or game.
A)Does not use No Unlink on delete- so graves when they delete themselves cause hood corruption. Does not use No Corrupt death and allows corruption to spread via gossip.
B) Plays vampires and lets Mrs C get bitten causing game corruption. Creature Fixes will stop that or ban Mrs C. Or make all Object packages in the install files read-only should also stop this.
C)Does not use No Sim Loaded + Smarter EP check and adds and pulls mods or downloads lots and then finds they have the Super Duper Hug. Not corruption, it's an annoying maxis code from the install files gone live in your gameplay.
D) has other bugs happening but does not have the Bat Box or Sim blender or SimPE or Hood Checker and has no way to fix things.

If something causes a jump bug turn on testing cheats and look at the error. Go back to the download (if it is still up) and read over it, it's possible you missed a file. Remove it from your game.
You can always kill sims, this is the safe way to get rid of them. Note* this does not remove their character file they are still there but now changed to a urn or grave.

Test old mods in a test game. Simply go to your Sims 2 folder, the one under documents where you place your CC. Go there and right-click on 'The Sims 2' and rename it to anything you like. Run the game and let it make you a second 'The Sims 2 folder' test old CC in there. The game only loads and reads the folder called 'The Sims 2' you can have as many folders as you like -or your computer can handle. Just be sure the folder you want to load is called 'The Sims 2' and the other folders are called something else.

This helps quiet a bit, do you have a database of the best hack fixes that include mods such as no unlink on delete? as for the sword mod, I think I'm going to remove it just to keep safe and avoid the jump bug, considering there is another sword mod available on the simwardrobe archive

JESSE!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mousedroidz21
This helps quiet a bit, do you have a database of the best hack fixes that include mods such as no unlink on delete? as for the sword mod, I think I'm going to remove it just to keep safe and avoid the jump bug, considering there is another sword mod available on the simwardrobe archive

A jump bug simply means an error is occurring. This is why you put on testing cheats to see what type of error. Then post the error here and someone may be able to read it. Got nothing to do with being safe and it won't cause corruption. You can get jump bugs for a variety of reasons including from maxis objects. If you don't care about the CC, removing it is always an option, but its good to learn along the way.

There is an essential mod list, but... it contains a lot of non-essensial mods lol. It also needs updating.
I mentioned the most essential in my post before.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532696
You do not need all the directors cut it does contain some important mods but it also contains play style mods like no 20K handout.
Do you want to contain the 'bloat'? For one person stopping stray animals or extra NPC's may be vital but another person may want to have them.
The Unofficial patch I would not recommend anymore.
I think I mentioned most of the essential mods, after that it depends on personal play style. Obviously, if you have Crumplbottom banned and never see her or if you want Mrs C to scream at your sims you wouldn't want 'Crumplefix' So read each mod description.

Don't be scared of mods most won't hurt your game, unlike the buttons Maxis left right in the UI. I have over 2K of just hacks and modded items to fix bugs and add new ways of playing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2020 at 1:53 PM
You may see people posting at various sites that debug mode/testing cheats/"boolprop" will harm your game if you leave it on. This is rubbish. Merely leaving the testing cheats turned on won't cause problems. I've run my game with the testing cheats turned on for more than 10 years. It helps with things like lots that won't load, etc. I get a choice of options instead of just the default "reset" which doesn't always help.

The only "problem" with the testing cheats is that some of the cheats were partially disabled when the game was released and don't work properly. If you aren't sure what a particular cheat or test object does, don't use it.