Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Skininator - a tool to make non-default and default custom skins - new version 1/10/2013

by CmarNYC Posted 5th Feb 2010 at 6:38 PM - Updated 10th Dec 2013 at 3:30 PM by CmarNYC

309 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 251 Feedback Posts, 57 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 11 of 13
Test Subject
#251 Old 1st Apr 2014 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
No I don't, and this is not the right place to ask this. Try the WCIF forum.

Ok, thanks.
Test Subject
#252 Old 8th Apr 2014 at 8:35 PM
I have a different objective than most people (I think) I want to create a silhouette and so my sim needs to be all black or all white. I've messed with skins and even though my DDS and png files are all a flat color (note: had to use paint.net to create DDS due to issue with Gimp plug-in not available for 64 bit) the sim has shadows and contours that will show up in CAS, and in game the white skin looks almost purple. Any ideas or help with this?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#253 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 4:30 AM
Did you make the light and dark base/materials images and the color ramp both black/white, and the overlay completely transparent? If you left the base images unaltered you're picking up shading and a pink (in the light shades) or greenish (in the dark shades) color.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#254 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 6:37 AM
Did you make the light and dark base/materials images and the color ramp both black/white, and the overlay completely transparent? If you left the base images unaltered you're picking up shading and a pink (in the light shades) or greenish (in the dark shades) color.

Hi thanks very much for the reply. Very good question and I hadn't considered that. It looks like a transparent color ramp makes the skin black even if the base was all white. The good news is for black this a faster/less complex way without all the custom bases. I tried mostly transparent white as the color ramp and played with speculars and still getting a purple hue in the game, looks okay in CAS. I'll just go with black. This is a very helpful tool. Thank you so much!!
Test Subject
#255 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 7:07 PM
Hey, thx for that amazing program, but, i am really in trouble, i always wanted to create something, and i made skins blends in PS, then, when i use the program, and make my package, in the game my skin turns to black, everything is black in my skin... i think i don't know where to put the files, can u help me? please (
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#256 Old 30th Apr 2014 at 3:33 PM
Tanks
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#257 Old 1st May 2014 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heavenp
Hey, thx for that amazing program, but, i am really in trouble, i always wanted to create something, and i made skins blends in PS, then, when i use the program, and make my package, in the game my skin turns to black, everything is black in my skin... i think i don't know where to put the files, can u help me? please (

Please upload your package so I can see what you did.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#258 Old 4th May 2014 at 7:24 PM
How did you get so much space for the skin tones?
I've been looking for more space for the skins for ages... I can't find anything
Top Secret Researcher
#259 Old 17th May 2014 at 11:45 PM
@LifeIsNotFair, download http://modthesims.info/d/434270
It has a file that expands your skin tone selection

@CmarNYC, I downloaded some Default skin made way back in 2010. I opened them with Skininator, changed to Advanced Non default, renamed the "Skintone Name" (this is with Skininator v5.0) and saved as package. I made 3 of these and none of them showed up. Did I do something wrong?

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#260 Old 18th May 2014 at 12:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
@LifeIsNotFair, download http://modthesims.info/d/434270
It has a file that expands your skin tone selection

@CmarNYC, I downloaded some Default skin made way back in 2010. I opened them with Skininator, changed to Advanced Non default, renamed the "Skintone Name" (this is with Skininator v5.0) and saved as package. I made 3 of these and none of them showed up. Did I do something wrong?

To go from default to non-default you need to also select at least one tone ramp in the first tab. You can just check off one or more of the EA ramps. Remember that they will show up as custom skintones but will not have a labelled thumbnail.

Top Secret Researcher
#261 Old 18th May 2014 at 8:16 PM
Yes I selected "Default" ramp tone (otherwise Skininator v5 would not even allow me to save). I did add a custom PNG to tell what name the skin is. I changed name to make sure no conflict with original skin. And then, my 2nd test, I didn't bother to change name (and removed the original skin). Either way, nothing showed up.

I am using some skin from sims2xsims.de, they don't have the best skin, but perfect to use as low to medium res skin to give NPC. Oh another question, Skininator does not allow exporting DDS right?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#262 Old 18th May 2014 at 9:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomomi1922
Yes I selected "Default" ramp tone (otherwise Skininator v5 would not even allow me to save). I did add a custom PNG to tell what name the skin is. I changed name to make sure no conflict with original skin. And then, my 2nd test, I didn't bother to change name (and removed the original skin). Either way, nothing showed up.

I am using some skin from sims2xsims.de, they don't have the best skin, but perfect to use as low to medium res skin to give NPC. Oh another question, Skininator does not allow exporting DDS right?

Could you upload your package that doesn't show up?

The next version of Skininator will let you export and import DDS, JPG, etc. I just have to get my butt moving to finish testing.

THANKS POST
#263 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 7:05 AM
Thanks
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#264 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 12:37 AM
Thank you so much for your hard work! I am using 4.0 to learn how to make skins for the first time. I wanted to point out that 5.0 crashes the moment you click the application file. I'm not sure what the problem is, but 4.0 seems to work fine thus far (of course I have no idea what I'm doing so..).
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#265 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 9:57 AM
Could you post the the error message you get when you start version 5?

Test Subject
#266 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:49 PM
Hello, I have a question about thumbnails. I have so many non-default skins without thumbnails so I tried to add them myself with Skininator and when I check in S3PE they're there. However, when in-game the thumbnails don't show. I've looked at other skins that show the thumbnail to see what makes them different. So, from observation the skins that don't show a thumbnail are only using EA tone ramps instead of custom ramps. Is there a way to add a thumbnail for skins using just EA ramps? Or will I have to import the EA ramps as "new" ramps so I can link them with a .png?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#267 Old 23rd Jul 2014 at 7:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xmerokox
Hello, I have a question about thumbnails. I have so many non-default skins without thumbnails so I tried to add them myself with Skininator and when I check in S3PE they're there. However, when in-game the thumbnails don't show. I've looked at other skins that show the thumbnail to see what makes them different. So, from observation the skins that don't show a thumbnail are only using EA tone ramps instead of custom ramps. Is there a way to add a thumbnail for skins using just EA ramps? Or will I have to import the EA ramps as "new" ramps so I can link them with a .png?

Yes, you'd have to duplicate the EA DDS tone ramp and import it along with the png thumbnail as a custom ramp. They have to both be either game ramps or custom ramps.

Test Subject
#268 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 3:54 PM
Yes, you'd have to duplicate the EA DDS tone ramp and import it along with the png thumbnail as a custom ramp. They have to both be either game ramps or custom ramps.

Thank you! That's what I did and it worked out
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#269 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 4:03 PM
Thanks
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#270 Old 18th Dec 2014 at 10:31 PM
Thank you Much!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#271 Old 13th Jan 2015 at 12:47 PM
good job guys!!!!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#272 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 10:44 PM
Just what I needed for my modding.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#273 Old 16th May 2015 at 9:50 PM
thanks
Test Subject
#274 Old 27th May 2015 at 5:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I just downloaded the program (newest v. 5) and whenever I try to install the .dll files my computer won't let me. :/ I have Windows 8.1 and I've tried everything every tutorial site has offered (like going to the command prompt and entering the information). And it still doesn't work :( This what comes up:

The module “filename.dll” was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that “filenamel.dll” is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

I make sure the .dll files are in the right folder but nothing I do seems to work at all :( I would really appreciate any help!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#275 Old 27th May 2015 at 11:31 PM
How are you trying to install the .dll files? You should be extracting everything into a new folder and then double-clicking the .exe file.

Page 11 of 13