Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2019 at 7:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Install CAW on Linux
HI! I have The Sims 3 on Zorin OS and the game was installed with Wine without problems. The problem is I tried to install the CAW with wine too, but pop-ups that the Sims 3 isn't installed.
I have to say that I had WIndows 10 but this caused me so many problems and WIndows 7 will not receive support. So the dual boot isn't the solution
So, can anybody help me with the installation ?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Nov 2019 at 1:49 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 27th Nov 2019 at 2:05 PM.
because you probably tried to install CAW in the new wineprefix I suppose.

Install CAW inside the same wineprefix.* The simplest way:
1. drop installation files *inside* Sims3 wineprefix in some directory like "install" or something (make it there 1st ofc).
2. run the installer (is there an installer? I have really vague memories of installation CAW on Windows...) you probably will have to install additional vb libraries, use winetrick for this (do *NOT* download Microsoft ones!)
3. run the CAW (from *this* wineprefix, not as standalone!)**, if it's working just make link to it

running the superpatch is just the same routine, with the exception you will do it only once.

Make backup of the whole wineprefix somewhere outside the working drive after success.

* wineprefix is a simulated Windows environment for particular application, in this case CAW needs to be installed in the same as Sims 3 because it's relies on Sims 3 resources obviously. IF you installed the S3 by hand it will be in /home/[username]/.wine/Sims3 if you used Lutris it will be in /home/[username]/Games/Sims3 (or something like that). If you used PoL the place should be: /home/[username]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Sims3

** after installation of the game you probably already have the shortcut for it somewhere (like desktop? it's standard functionality of the PoL and Lutris), just copy it and paste again into desktop to rename and change the launcher line from Sims 3 to CAW executable.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2019 at 7:49 AM
Well, I found the problem. The CAW didn’t find the installation of Sims 3 because my game version is from Steam.
Many users experimented that and this can be solved whit the edit of the registry.
Since I installed in Linux system with Wine, I solved this changing the part of Sims(Steam) for Sims in the system.reg from the folder .wine. After that, I could install the CAW and parched it.
BUUUUUUUUT now, I have other problem. The CAW crashes during the initial loading
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Nov 2019 at 7:03 PM
well, it's always helpful to have "the full information" ^^

anyway - CAW requires some additional VB libraries (and kill me, but I do not know which ones), try to add them by winetricks to the actual wineprefix. If it's possible, try to review the crash results - both in wine (wine log, you can run the application with logging window open) and from the app itself (loading logs).

And of course there's a possibility that it won't work anyway, for any reason.
EDIT:
and 'bout the "full information" part;
as I understood you're running the game through the Steam (Proton libraries), right? Or it's another approach (e.g. Lutris download - it's different wine build!)?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Nov 2019 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
EDIT:
and 'bout the "full information" part;
as I understood you're running the game through the Steam (Proton libraries), right? Or it's another approach (e.g. Lutris download - it's different wine build!)?

I'm running the game through Lutris
I'll go to winetricks for install all the VB library
Scholar
#6 Old 30th Nov 2019 at 1:11 PM
check wine output while attempt to run the program, it should point you in the right direction.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Dec 2019 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
check wine output while attempt to run the program, it should point you in the right direction.

How I do that? Open the CAW from the terminal ?