Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#9901 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 2:40 AM
As far as where Pleasantview is, I'd also point out that the neighborhood expansion that came with Unleashed in TS1 had some pretty clear New Orleans/Cajun vibes to it.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#9902 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 12:37 PM
I just assumed that Pleasantview was supposed to be like, every single suburban town in America mashed together to create Anywhere, USA that everyone could relate to, sorta how Strangetown is literally in The Middle Of Nowhere with just two community lots that are pretty much re-purposed from something else. Then again, all I know about America is what I learned from cringe teen-dramas on the telly so I'm probably wrong lol
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9903 Old 12th Aug 2020 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
My close friend is having some rough times with her boyfriend and this morning I got a text saying he kicked over her trashcan. My first thought was "I can't believe people actually do that when they get mad, I thought it was just a sims thing!"
Tell her to pick it up again quickly and put the rubbish back into it. And look out for cockroaches. If she does find some, tell her whatever she does, don't stamp on them. Call in an exterminator to get rid of them professionally. It will cost her money, but it's better than getting 'flu.

I wish my Sims and I had known all that when I was first starting to play.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#9904 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 6:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
I just assumed that Pleasantview was supposed to be like, every single suburban town in America mashed together to create Anywhere, USA that everyone could relate to, sorta how Strangetown is literally in The Middle Of Nowhere with just two community lots that are pretty much re-purposed from something else. Then again, all I know about America is what I learned from cringe teen-dramas on the telly so I'm probably wrong lol

Strangetown is definitely based on Area 51, Roswell, and all that. Pleasantview... takes place in SimCity of course Or actually, its suburbs. I guess I imagine midwestern U.S. Somewhere with 4 distinct seasons.
Mad Poster
#9905 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 11:44 PM
Gonna reinstall my game tomorrow probably. Got a new SSD I have to figure out how to mount in my computer. Hope it goes okay and I can get back to simming.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#9906 Old 15th Aug 2020 at 11:14 AM
@HarVee, good luck with that! Spent a week sorting out the fallout from a new SSD install, and most of that was operating system trouble rather than the SSD. Worth it though; my game is a lot faster these days
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9907 Old 15th Aug 2020 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Neverwinter_Knight77
Strangetown is definitely based on Area 51, Roswell, and all that.
So much so that I always feel that the place has a 1950s feel to it. Though perhaps the social attitudes of some of the locals are more medieval than 1950s. Buzz thinks that Olive is a witch, and I'm sure he thinks that she ought to be burnt. (Maybe having carnal knowledge of Death really does amount to witchcraft? What do you think?)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Field Researcher
#9908 Old 15th Aug 2020 at 11:29 PM
The Sims series is such a weird anachronism.

The Sims 1 had a big 1950s aesthetic to it, especially the cars. Still don't understand it. But then you had the plasma TV and the late 90s computers. The Brahma 2000 looked so much like my Windows 98 PC, particularly the monitor with attached speakers.

The Sims 2 brought things up to the modern age (at the time), early 2000s. I don't think the Sims themselves (Pleasantview) aged 50 years, but I may be wrong.

The Sims 3 was presumably present day, yet for the famous families, it was a prequel.

But I know, I'm overthinking Sims lore.
Mad Poster
#9909 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 12:22 AM
I constantly find it hilarious that the Sims 3 supposedly takes place 50 years before TS2, yet the cell phones are newer.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#9910 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 2:36 AM Last edited by Shadow214 : 16th Aug 2020 at 11:51 PM.
I always found it weird how the Roomies never appeared again despite the fact that all the other Sims 1 base game families appeared in Pleasantview.
Mad Poster
#9911 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 3:47 AM
I have a headcanon that Melissa Roomies somehow ended up in Strangetown and is Kristen Loste. As for her lack of aging...well, it's Strangetown.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#9912 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 3:52 AM
That's some Maxis level whitewashing there, Bulb.

I resent that Mary Sue isn't Melissa and Chris's adopted daughter.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#9913 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 4:51 AM
It's fun hearing about the sims in the EA Strangetown cummunity when I've got the Strangetown terrain map in use for my BACC in Dodge,Kansas set in the 1840's back when child labor was the rule before the town added a school and even for a long while after adding a school until into the 20th century it was still very commomplace for some child labor to take place with farming families.The Jankowsky and Hobbs families will probably take advantage of child labor when they start having children becuase they would need the help with chores and the children won't have school to fill up their days and would want something to do in the daytime.
Theorist
#9914 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 2:16 PM
There are so many continuity issues between Sims 1, 2 and 3 that I honestly just treat them as alternate universes.
As for the Roomies, when I played that beginning of Pleasantview hood I reintegrated them into the storyline; Melissa married the uncle of the Caliente sisters (and had a daughter; Katrina, the Caliente Cousin), while Chris married Michael Bachelor (Dina tried to marry him after Chris had died of old age).

And before somebody complains because I didn't marry them to each other; I'm gay myself, I always have a number of homosexual families (in the same neighbourhood I, for example, married Jane Stacks to a female descendant of the Crumplebottom family) I just didn't feel like making them a couple only because fandom decided that they are one.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#9915 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 4:41 PM
I was wondering why massive attraction, a reward to boost chemistry, was made the first reward for romance sims, then it hit me that it's probably the devs' way of mending the fact that they made romance the worst aspiration when it comes to chemistry
Mad Poster
#9916 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 10:08 PM
I can't think of any in-universe reason to justify the anchor sunken at the bottom of the log-rolling pit... did they just think we wouldn't notice it?

Mad Poster
#9917 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 10:25 PM
There's a anchor? I never noticed that.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Forum Resident
#9918 Old 16th Aug 2020 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
There are so many continuity issues between Sims 1, 2 and 3 that I honestly just treat them as alternate universes.

In Sims 4, they replace the Caliente sisters' mom completely with a single mom named Katrina. Dina and Nina are teens, and Don Lothario is their mom's live-in boyfriend. Which implies a kind of creepy grooming angle if you consider Sims 2 and Sims 4 in the same universe.
Mad Poster
#9919 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 1:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
There's a anchor? I never noticed that.

It's faint, since it's more opaque water than most other things, but it is there!

Forum Resident
#9920 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
In Sims 4, they replace the Caliente sisters' mom completely with a single mom named Katrina. Dina and Nina are teens, and Don Lothario is their mom's live-in boyfriend. Which implies a kind of creepy grooming angle if you consider Sims 2 and Sims 4 in the same universe.

Nah, they're both adults. No weird Don-hitting-on-teenagers thing there. Unless you count Cassandra but luckily they never even met.

Now that you mention it, that Don might be a bit more on-brand than sims 2 Don. In the sims 2 it's hella easy for Don to get engaged and married, since you just have to woohoo him a couple times to make the relationship 100-100, but in the sims 4 I remember one of my sims proposed to him and he rejected (and caused her to die from embarassment). Such fun.
#9921 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 3:28 PM
^ In my Sims 4 Don had babies with Katrina, Dina, and Nina. He eventually was only with Dina out of the three women and was obsessed with her but rejected her proposal since he had the Non-Committal trait. I do love how Sims 4's Romance aspiration has the option to be either "One True Love" or have as many lovers as possible.
Mad Poster
#9922 Old 17th Aug 2020 at 3:54 PM
The difference between The Sims 2 sims and The Sims 4 sims is that TS2 sims are dynamic but TS4 sims are predicted.
Forum Resident
#9923 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
The difference between The Sims 2 sims and The Sims 4 sims is that TS2 sims are dynamic but TS4 sims are predicted.

Yeah, that does seem like a bummer, but in the Sims 2 it's hard not to have an insanely high relationship, especially with a woohoo obsessed sim like Don, so I never even has him leave anyone at the altar unless I specifically cheated for it, so I kinda feel like that's a missed thing
Theorist
#9924 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone

Yeah that's why I didn't even mention Sims 4, Sims 4 is just completely off-the-rails as far as established Premades go. Also I'm pretty sure they just moved Don into the Caliente household because they couldn't be bothered (or maybe it's not even possible) to program pre-existing relationships between households. Can you imagine? Even Sims 3 managed st least that.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Theorist
#9925 Old 18th Aug 2020 at 4:07 PM
Sometimes playing Sims 2 can be like putting a blank canvas on an easel and having no idea what you want to create, and other times it's like stepping back and taking a look at that blank canvas and just freely splattering paint at it and coming up with something beautiful. Either way, it's what you make of it, and that's what I love about it.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Page 397 of 511