Replies: 518 (Who?), Viewed: 23483 times.
Page 21 of 21
Mad Poster
#501 Old 6th May 2022 at 12:56 PM
The joys of adulting.

It was nice out yesterday which meant I had the windows open and got things done including washing dog, bird and chinchilla blankets. It isn't really a blanket for the chins. I use a sheet to line the back of their cage so they don't pee on the wall. Proof that animals can be cute and gross at the same time. Anywho...

I wasn't willing to use the dryer because my electric company can bugger off, so I hung all the blankets and sheets on the dog kennel and on the fence. All of the stuff dried in less than a hour, but I had to babysit it because there was a breeze. The wind would get under the sheets and blow them off the fence. Since next week I'm going to wash all the stuff again, so I went hunting online for a clothesline I can use outside.

We've had a regular clothesline in the past, but they're a pain especially when trying to do things like mow the lawn. I have 'clotheslined' myself because of them, so I wanted something else. I have 3 clothes drying racks, but they're not meant to hang things like sheets and blankets. Lowes didn't have anything and since I avoid Amazon like the plague, I ended up on Home Depot's website and found the following:

I picked this because it is portable. There are bigger versions of this, but that means digging a hole for the pole part and then I would be stuck with the clothesline being wherever we put it. I wasn't interested in that. All is fine and well, but there was a weird about thing about all of this.

This clothesline comes in green or white according to HD's website. The green one is $43..something. The white one is twice the price. I ordered the green one. I'll save more than what I spent on it with a couple loads of laundry by not using the dryer. Since this portable, I can use it in the house if I wanted to. There is plenty of room for it downstairs.

Home Depot and their shenanigans. Acting like if something is painted a different color, that somehow changes the the product itself.
Screenshots
Scholar
#502 Old 6th May 2022 at 4:26 PM
I'm don't know if this is something you can do @Gargoyle Cat, but my parents put a concrete hole in the backyard where they stick the middle part of this kind of dryer. It's much more stable than relying on those three legs when there is wind, so there is no need to obsessively watch it on windy days. You might just have to remove the three legs in case this is not available without in the US.

https://www.leifheit.de/de-de/waesc...uxe-cover/82008

Mad Poster
#503 Old 7th May 2022 at 2:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310175
I'm don't know if this is something you can do @Gargoyle Cat, but my parents put a concrete hole in the backyard where they stick the middle part of this kind of dryer. It's much more stable than relying on those three legs when there is wind, so there is no need to obsessively watch it on windy days. You might just have to remove the three legs in case this is not available without in the US.

We have similar clotheslines here.

Concrete certainly helps with stability, but where I am, we are prone to nasty weather such as hurricanes, blizzards, and Nor'Easters. I don't live on the coast which is where most damage occurs when these storms show up, but I never assume damage won't happen as all three of those kinds of storms can be unpredictable. Hurricanes can push things like street lights over, so I'd rather not deal concrete for the simple reason that if a clothesline were to be pushed over, we'd have to dig it out to fix it.

Sticking with the hurricane example, if a storm were to break the clothesline part that is above ground, that would be more things being turned into 'missiles' when the wind gusts 80 MPH and beyond. Keeping the clothesline portable means one less thing I need to worry about during those times as it would be in the house long before hurricane happened. Watching things like tree branches, trash can lids, stuff from neighbors yards being tossed / blown around is stressful enough.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#504 Old 7th May 2022 at 9:38 PM
I still have trouble getting in and out of the two worlds I am connected to with my hypnagogic dreaming abilities. Last thing I remember, I was nursing an older gentleman's blackened left eye. (Note: Although I am a fan of Tom Lehrer's Masochism Tango, I didn't blacken this man's left eye like in the song and for those wondering, Tom Lehrer, aside from being the inventor of the Jell-O shot and a university professor, was one of the fore runners for artists like "Weird Al" Yankovic.)

When I woke up, I found myself having to refill my medication and supplement boxes.

It's really, really weird. It's like Kingdom Hearts. One day, your brain is able to discern the insanity of daily life and the next, all Hell breaks loose as you find yourself in these Dreamland locations where the 5 senses of which are sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch are part of it but you don't have the ability to tell if you're in the dream because you do not have the capacity to lucidly dream.

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Mad Poster
#505 Old 8th May 2022 at 1:03 PM
Ever feel like you jinkx yourself sometimes?

We have a old oak tree in the backyard that I've been watching. The top of it doesn't look so great, but before I made a decision about whether to have it removed or not, I decided to wait. The trees in my area are still partially bald, so I wanted to see if the tree in question would leaf out or not. If it started leafing out like all the other oaks in the area, the tree would stay. If not, it needs to go. It is too big just to leave it and hope that it doesn't hit the house if it were to come down by itself.

I said a few weeks ago (?) that I wasn't spending money on plants this year for outside. Does a dying tree count as a plant, because the big ol' oak needs to come down. There isn't a single leaf bud on the damn thing and all the other oaks are filling in.

This tree removal is going to be a expensive endeavor. Having trees taken down is never a cheap job anyway, but because of where this particular tree is, I have a feeling there is going to be some clear cutting that needs to happen so the tree company can get to the 'problem' tree. Meh!
Scholar
#506 Old 8th May 2022 at 3:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
We have similar clotheslines here.

Concrete certainly helps with stability, but where I am, we are prone to nasty weather such as hurricanes, blizzards, and Nor'Easters. I don't live on the coast which is where most damage occurs when these storms show up, but I never assume damage won't happen as all three of those kinds of storms can be unpredictable. Hurricanes can push things like street lights over, so I'd rather not deal concrete for the simple reason that if a clothesline were to be pushed over, we'd have to dig it out to fix it.

Sticking with the hurricane example, if a storm were to break the clothesline part that is above ground, that would be more things being turned into 'missiles' when the wind gusts 80 MPH and beyond. Keeping the clothesline portable means one less thing I need to worry about during those times as it would be in the house long before hurricane happened. Watching things like tree branches, trash can lids, stuff from neighbors yards being tossed / blown around is stressful enough.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sorry, I didn't explain the hole thing properly. The hole is a bit bigger than necessary and goes low enough for the dryer to be stable but loose enough to be easily removable. So, my mom takes it inside every time the drying is done. and puts a cover on the hole so it doesn't fill with water if it rains. I wish I had a picture, I'm not very good at explaining.
Mad Poster
#507 Old 8th May 2022 at 4:45 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't explain the hole thing properly. The hole is a bit bigger than necessary and goes low enough for the dryer to be stable but loose enough to be easily removable. So, my mom takes it inside every time the drying is done. and puts a cover on the hole so it doesn't fill with water if it rains. I wish I had a picture, I'm not very good at explaining.

No worries.

The timing of this conversation has been interesting. Apparently there has been a storm swirling around off of the coast. That would explain why it has been so windy the past few days. The wind is also stressing me out because of the oak tree mentioned in my previous post. I keep waiting to hear the sounds of snapping or tree limbs thumping to the ground.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#508 Old 8th May 2022 at 6:34 PM
Was woken up by the sound of my cat Gemini about to vomit. I was sound asleep and I heard her gagging.

There's no other surefire way to wake up someone than the sound of a cat gagging and vomiting. How no one made an alarm clock with this noise is beyond me. It should be on Shark Tank.

Scholar
#509 Old 8th May 2022 at 7:39 PM
Quote:
No worries.

The timing of this conversation has been interesting. Apparently there has been a storm swirling around off of the coast. That would explain why it has been so windy the past few days. The wind is also stressing me out because of the oak tree mentioned in my previous post. I keep waiting to hear the sounds of snapping or tree limbs thumping to the ground.

I hope you won't hear those sounds until it is taken down in a controlled manner. A friend of mine in Florida just had an old tree fall on her house. Roof broken, tree branches all over the kitchen and living room, weeks until she can get back in.
Mad Poster
#510 Old 10th May 2022 at 2:05 PM
Quote:
I hope you won't hear those sounds until it is taken down in a controlled manner. A friend of mine in Florida just had an old tree fall on her house. Roof broken, tree branches all over the kitchen and living room, weeks until she can get back in.

Yikes! I hope your friend and anybody that may have been in the house were not hurt.

The tree company called me back yesterday. They'll be out to give me a estimate next week.

And since I'm here anyway, the clothes line I ordered came in yesterday. There are 'pins' or metal stakes at the bottom of each leg to provide more stability if it is used on a lawn, over dirt, ect... They wouldn't do much with a strong gusty wind in my area as our soil is made of mostly sand, but they are there if I needed them for some reason. My boneheaded self didn't order clothes pins, so anything small I may want to hang out is going to have to wait until later today.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#511 Old 10th May 2022 at 6:19 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 10th May 2022 at 6:49 PM.
Had to deal with my debit card getting hijacked.

Because I am a Wells Fargo customer, (not by my own choice, but switching banks would require government red tape that I have no time for right now due to a dental extraction in less than a month and that has red tape of a different nature) I had dealt with crappy hold music that sounded like a bad rendition of Van Halen's "Jump" and having to clarify the charge that didn't make sense and then another round of crappy hold music, which sounded like a hound dog playing a saxophone but not quite forming the proper sound and the eventual "We will do everything in our power to make it right. Your new card should be in the mail by 3-5 business days' time."

Also my mom had been in a sour mood. She told me and my father, the two of us being ticking time bombs of sheer insanity, that we weren't at fault. She's going to the hairdresser today so I better be kind to her when she comes back from her errands.

I also had to reschedule my appointment with Dr. MP in Nephrology (Long term use of lithium is bad for your kidneys, mmmkay?) and I swear, if I wanted to have my broken tooth pulled, I could have waited a couple extra days and have the reception desk do it.

Being an adult sucks when you reach your thirties. Younger generations don't trust you, no matter how tragically hip you are; older generations still give you talking downs to you, even if you have a brilliant idea to make the world a better place to live.

Not to mention people bugging you to have kids, regardless of your ability to reproduce and provide.

I could go on, but you get my message.

Mad Poster
#512 Old 13th May 2022 at 1:10 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 13th May 2022 at 1:00 PM.
Ninja spider.

So. About a week ago, this huge spider decides to *poof!appear* on the wall next to my bed. I didn't have anything to catch it with, so I carefully walk out to get some paper, get back, it's still sitting there, and the moment I get close, it zooms down behind the bed (as spiders do).

I look for it, but apparently the back of the bed hasn't seen a vaccuum cleaner for the past (probably at least) 5-6 years or so, so a couple days later I decide to take a round of shining it up, including the rest of the room as well, plus changing the bed.

No sign of the spider, so I kinda hoped it had been vaccuumed up at some point, because I was pretty thorough behind the bed (although couldn't move the bedframe, so there were probably still places that thing could hide).

Fast-forward to yesterday night, just as I'm getting ready to turn off the light when going to bed (and still hadn't seen the creepy crawlie all day)...

NINJA SPIDER *poof!appears* on the wall again.

This time I was ready, so now it's swimming in the drains (or probably gone further than that).

Spiders... sincerely never know where you've got them

EDIT: And last night, another (but smaller) spider, in almost the exact spot I found the big one the second time. Those little beasts! This one didn't get the chance to try out any ninja survival skills, though.
Mad Poster
#513 Old 13th May 2022 at 1:29 PM
Tis be the time of year once again for food donations. Instead of donating food back in November / December, I donated money to a food pantry. This time around I donated food as I had stuff downstairs that I bought only to find out that I either couldn't eat it or had ingredients that was going to cause problems. This is what happens when I don't read food labels. I digress. All that left the house is good, nothing is expired or opened....somebody will enjoy it.

This particular food drive is a community effort, so everybody in that town that wants to donate was encouraged to do so. This food drive happens every year and every year there is the shmuck (s) that donate expired food. When I say expired, I don't mean by a few days, weeks or months, I mean years. This year the schmucks took it to a new level. One of them tried to donate opened, expired flour. It expired back in 2019.

The town that holds this food drive is filled with old money. A person cannot purchase a house in the historical side of town of under 3 million; it's probably way more than that now with how house prices have been over the past year. And yet here they are, donating opened, expired ( and probably buggy) bags of flour that have been sitting around in their butler pantries since 2019.

For the record, all donations are gone through before they are actually donated, so the organization that gets the food doesn't see / have to deal with the bullshit, but still. Just when you think your faith in fellow human beings couldn't get any lower, somebody comes along and lowers the bar.
Mad Poster
#514 Old 13th May 2022 at 10:11 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th May 2022 at 1:38 AM.
Wouldn't say it ruined my day, but it's just not the same - listening to a dubbed version of animated Star Trek. I can get over the cameo voices when they're just talking, but the translated catchphrases sound absolutely ridiculous.

The series itself isn't too bad, though. Most of the characters are new ones, so their voices aren't any more annoying than other dubbed voices. The one character they've got recurring throughout from one of the live series, they've managed to find a voice that manages to keep some of their personality, so it translates okay.

Would prefer an English version with original voices for the rest of the cameos, although a few of them probably would've been a bit difficult to get hold of since they went "all the way to the beginning" original for several... But oh, Spock, they did you dirty - that catchphrase is sooooo much better in English (sounds extremely corny translated, and the word they chose for "prosper" is so off the mark even if it technically means the same). I almost fell out of my bed laughing
Mad Poster
#515 Old 14th May 2022 at 5:45 PM
Bissell vacuum cleaners suck. No pun intended.

We have two vacuums in the house; one upstairs and one downstairs. The one upstairs is a Kenmore bagless canister vac, the other is a upright bagless Bissell. We've had the Kenmore for a few years, it does what it is supposed to. The Bissell is a few years older and doesn't suck up much of anything. I've been wanting to get rid of it for the past few years. Today is the day.

The area rug downstairs needed to be cleaned. Even after the rug was vacuumed before cleaning it, the rug cleaner got more fur and crap out the carpet than the stupid vacuum did. A new vacuum has been ordered and will be picked up later today. I bought a Shark Rotator Pet Plus Upright Vacuum from our wholesale club place. Lowes only carries Bissells ( Nope!) and Dyson, also a Nope! Dysons work well for about a year, then they don't suck up anything.

On to other stupid things...

Since today is about pulling things apart / cleaning, I decided to defrost the chest freezer downstairs. It isn't supposed to need to be defrosted, but here we are. More empty promises from big business. The scariest thing I found was a package of bacon that was stuck to the bottom with a "Best by" date of 1/2018. I didn't use it, because I couldn't see it. Once the freezer is defrosted, it can stay unplugged for a bit as we don't need it at the moment.

Top Secret Researcher
#516 Old 14th May 2022 at 6:52 PM
Quote:
The scariest thing I found was a package of bacon that was stuck to the bottom with a "Best by" date of 1/2018.
On the one hand, I'm shocked, of course. On the other, my boyfriend has a bad case of hoarding things in his fridge and freezer, and the worst thing is, it really doesn't stink unless opened/pulled out, and the only thing forcing us to clean the freezer and the fridge is that sometimes it gets over-capacity and stuff simply has to be thrown out to make room for a new batch of groceries.

Good thing we have a small deep-freeze compartment built into the not-so-big fridge, so there isn't that much room to actually hoard big-time. However, it's definitely one of the top reasons why I'm against him getting a bigger/standalone freezer unit. Simply too much capacity to go rogue.

Though freezer isn't really as bad for us – it's the pickled vegetables, expired mayo jars etc. that go bad and take up room in the fridge. And some of those aren't even past their date; they've just been opened and forgotten about.
Mad Poster
#517 Old 15th May 2022 at 2:46 PM
I checked my email this morning as I always do. In it was a 'notice' from the DMV ( Dept of Motor Vehicles) giving me the riot act about the inspection sticker on the car. It talked about how it is illegal to drive around on a bad sticker, how we could be fined if we were pulled over, blah, blah, blah.

The car was inspected / passed inspection 2 months ago. Of course, they don't give the option to opt out of these crackhead emails.

Last week I had to call the doctors office to tell them to bugger off with their "Activate Your Account" emails that I also wasn't allowed to opt out of, hence the phone call. They have no reason to be nagging me whenever they feel like it. It is strictly I call them if I need something-type relationship, not a "We'll live in your inbox because we're a doctors office and we can because we say so" kind of relationship. Our health insurance company has already tried this. They liked to send me emails telling me that I need to save money for emergency medical expenses or have a credit card handy. A credit card is not a emergency fund; I digress. I was able to opt out of those, but I was seriously tempted to call them and remind them that racking up credit card debt is not a solution to a emergency medical bill. Just ask anybody that has a mountain of medical bills on credit cards.

Whee! It is so much fun always being 'connected'.
Lab Assistant
#518 Old 15th May 2022 at 5:08 PM
didn't quite ruin my day, but i swear this one person waits for other people to share their work so she can then share hers and bump them out of sight. it's getting seriously annoying, especially since she draws all of these nearly identical environments in a single day and those of us that spend days or even weeks on our work, stuff that's not colored pencils, get pushed out of sight so people only ever comment on hers because they don't feel like scrolling up. when she comes in to bump you out of sight, she'll give a quick "cool!" with some emoji before she's suddenly the only one visible again. it's extremely annoying to myself and all the other artists in the group but i'm the opposite of confrontational so i just suck it up and deal with it. a lot of artists have simply stopped posting their works there because nobody sees them anyway. it's ridiculous.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#519 Old Yesterday at 8:29 AM
I missed my check in with my case manager, S, yesterday. I had to get something caffeinated delivered to my door. Good thing I had access to shelf stable goods.

This time, I will talk to S when she calls. She knows I play Animal Crossing: New Horizons because she heard me on speakerphone catch a sea critter in the ocean when I surfaced and the high-pitched "woo-hoo!" Chirped. As much as I admit I multitask when I should be giving my undivided attention, I have been caught on the toilet from government officials asking to initiate paperwork more times than I cared to count.

Between paperwork, quality of life operations, doctor visits, lab testing of bodily fluids, conference calls, my duties at home, and hospital stays, my ability to become a voice actor and a mechanical engineering genius with mechanical children and fathers to accompany them and an army of wait staff to wait on you hand and foot, is being hampered.

I really want to go back to school and build my city of droids. But my teeth are a mess and I am suffering from my mental health issues. Constantly finding myself unable to stay level for long.

I can only hope for the best as time goes on.

Page 21 of 21