Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 9:26 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Installing on New Computer and want to put on D drive
Ive read a lot of post about how to get the files that go into Documents on D drive, but wondering what to do in this case. Now it is C:/Users/fpres/One Drive/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2, as I understand it I need to move the whole Documents file to D drive, this would be OK but do I need to move One Drive also, if so it would defeat the purpose of moving, want to get rid of One Drive but can't seem to do it. Running a Trident 3 with a 1 TB SSD (partitioned into C and D drives) but think the One Drive is messing things up.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 1:41 PM
I would find out if One Drive can be switched off or set to not automatically move files around.I don't have anything like that because I'm on Windows 7 though I've heard of others having that issue with Windows 10.You can always buy external hard drives for backing files up instead of using One Drive and have it disabled if it's giving you problems.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 3:39 PM
Default Put game on D drive, actually I have plenty of free space on both C and D drives
Quote: Originally posted by TadOlson
I would find out if One Drive can be switched off or set to not automatically move files around.I don't have anything like that because I'm on Windows 7 though I've heard of others having that issue with Windows 10.You can always buy external hard drives for backing files up instead of using One Drive and have it disabled if it's giving you problems.

My C and D drives are both SSD and both have over 350 gigs free, but as I said, when installing on C drive, the path for the miscellaneous files is C:\Users\fpres\One Drive\Documents\EA Games and I don't think One Drive is big enough but cant really tell how big it is.. I deleted everything and now have another problem, apparently there is info in my registry that makes my computer think I have The Sims 2 installed and won't let me reinstall. Deleted some of it and nothing in my list of files, or in Programs and Features,. Ran CCleaner 3 or 4 times, Regedit several times and still have a problem. Anyone know of the various locations info would be in the registry ???
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:16 PM
Greets!

Hey SilverFox,

You have two key issues. The first, you "really" need to resolve prior to re-installing "The Sims" is OneDrive.

OneDrive is used for backing up files and being able to grab them from another computer.

You "DO NOT" want to be running your game from the "Cloud". Or have it constantly backing up files while you play.

(Perhaps you have it set to "sync" or backup files later at night?)

I believe any file under the "OneDrive" folder will be backed-up.

Do you really want your "Downloads" folder to be backed up? If so, I'll assume your paying for OneDrive and the additional gigabytes that would be required.

Here are the Registry Keys where you'll find the Sims keys you'll need to delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Maxis\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\EA GAMES

For those on a 32-bit system, searching for "EA GAMES", "App Paths" and "Maxis" should give you all that's needed to clean out the Registry.

Good Luck!

GS