Replies: 789 (Who?), Viewed: 164969 times.
Page 29 of 32
Top Secret Researcher
#701 Old 1st May 2012 at 3:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotedLlama
You're stuck with only a few different colorings for hair, clothing, and objects.

Have you dabbled in modding?

Modding pumps up the four hair color combination to a large variety, and don't get me started on clothing.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Scholar
#702 Old 1st May 2012 at 4:47 AM
Quote:
The "adult" lifestage makes for a smoother transition to elder.

Well, it does so in TS2 too. They have exactly the same number of life stages/ages.

And everything else aside, in which TS3 is indubitably better (create a style, ability to visit, etc.) TS2 will forever be my favorite, because it's a better personality and relationship simulation.

TS2 Sims seem alive in their wants and fears; when they love something it seems real; when they talk, they talk about their own memories and opinions, while in TS3 the icons pop up in the air arbitrarily. And so on, and so on...
This failing at the level of personality and relationship simulation acts up to epic proportions at the level of town AI, which is non-existent in TS3, though it should have been the new shiny feature distingushing this title from the rest in the series. TS2 has no programmed means to create town AI and town events, but with just a little added imagination and a couple of well-known tricks, the player can get to this point all by him/herself, because the characters are believable.

AI, folks. It's what every TS title comes down to, after all the shiny craptastics have been shaven off it. AI, which in TS3 seems to be missing, and no matter what I did when I still played TS3, I couldn't care for my Sims there. I just didn't care about them. I didn't love them - didn't have anything to love in them, I guess.
TS2 also has its bugs, glitches, hood corruptions, etc. Playing this game is like going to college - you're bound to have to learn and study how to avoid all its issues. But with TS2 I felt motivated to learn - mostly because I wanted and still want to keep my Sims safe, as if they were alive. This is what was missing for me with TS3 - the desire to learn about the game so that I can play it for years. Why would I do that if, after all is solved, I'm back with those wooden dolls? Boring!
Instructor
#703 Old 1st May 2012 at 6:11 AM Last edited by Josepina : 1st May 2012 at 6:22 AM.
Quote:
Sims 3 sims look more realistic and have smoother features.
Sims are more customizable and there are more clothing options.
Create a style! (This extends to its use for hair colors, as well.)

You can alter sims faces in bodyshop to soften their features and make them flawlessly smooth. This is one area that a lot of experimentation with cc, make up and the sliders helps. On the s3 download characters I see there is no skin texture. Everyone has plastic mannequin skin. Completely unrealistic. Perhaps this has or will be fixed in the future.

And in S2 there is a gazzillion downloads for clothing.

Oh and travelling anywhere is possible. There is a loading screen. In S3 you still have to travel to the location so it takes about the same time to go anywhere. Not neighbours of course. However with apartments, dorms or just a regular lot with the four key door, you can have multiple families in their own homes on a single large lot and visit neighbours without loading.
Screenshots
Instructor
#704 Old 1st May 2012 at 3:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivey
Have you dabbled in modding?

Modding pumps up the four hair color combination to a large variety, and don't get me started on clothing.

I was just going from a base game, no mods perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsica
Well, it does so in TS2 too. They have exactly the same number of life stages/ages.

In the Sims 3, the young adult lifestage is built into the game and is automatic. In the Sims 2, it is a lifestage specific to college. In the Sims 3, the young adult lifestage is the equivalent to the adult lifestage in the Sims 2, with the adult lifestage being slightly older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josepina
You can alter sims faces in bodyshop to soften their features and make them flawlessly smooth. This is one area that a lot of experimentation with cc, make up and the sliders helps. On the s3 download characters I see there is no skin texture. Everyone has plastic mannequin skin. Completely unrealistic. Perhaps this has or will be fixed in the future.

And in S2 there is a gazzillion downloads for clothing.

Base game, no mods perspective again, and while the bodyshop point is valid, that's also a technically out of game program to do that with.

Quote:
Oh and travelling anywhere is possible. There is a loading screen. In S3 you still have to travel to the location so it takes about the same time to go anywhere. Not neighbours of course. However with apartments, dorms or just a regular lot with the four key door, you can have multiple families in their own homes on a single large lot and visit neighbours without loading.

Did I ever say otherwise?

EDIT because people have already replied to my original post: Also, another pro I forgot for the Sims 2 is the want/fear system. Having a fail state makes the game extremely more fun, because you're not just doing whatever you want and occasionally doing what a sim wants; you're also having to deal with not making a sim unhappy.

EDIT TWO: I also agree with Simsica's comment about the AI. If I could somehow transplant the AI of the Sims 2 into the Sims 3, it'd be so amazingly great I'd not actually cry but probably do it in spirit.

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Instructor
#705 Old 1st May 2012 at 10:37 PM
Oh ok. I wouldn't play s2 or 3 without cc. Customising the game how I like it is half the fun. Plus bodyshop is really an extension of CAS that's easier to use. It would be nice if Dr. Wu's surgical station wasn't missing some of the bodyshop sliders. Then it could be part of the game.
Test Subject
#706 Old 4th May 2012 at 1:03 PM
I think the problem is everything is so empty, they give us a large neighbourhood and nothing to do in it that couldn't be done at home. I used to begrudge the loading screens in The Sims 2 but I always forgot when the lot loaded up and there was bowling and dancing, just something going on. In TS3 I can get to a bar in an instant, but it'd be a waste of time because the hotspot is empty and everyone is at the park. Another a thing - are anyone else's sims always at the park?

The challenge is gone from the game too. If you have enough money, which is ridiculously easy to come by in TS3, you can buy everything. You dont have to really work for anything, or pay attention to your sim. They can fulfil their own wishes by themselves, unlike in TS2 where to gain aspiration points you have to consciously work towards granting their wants, and the benefits weren't just items you could buy, but a happier, more productive sim. Moving to a "Beautiful Vista" instantly fills the mood bar in TS3 and caring for sims is quite easy. Besides even if they get a negative moodlet it's usually balanced by a few paintings.

Also I don't care when they die, I tried a legacy and usually I'm sad when the elders get to the end of the bar, but in TS3 they linger on for ages after and I'm willing them to die. Never again will I play an active vegetarian. They just don't know when to go! And frankly, killing sims isn't as fun either, apart from the meteor crashing, I appreciate the space rocks.
Test Subject
#707 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 2:10 PM
Actually, my reason for staying with the Sims2 and not switching is simply $$$ and effort. Counting all the expansions and stuff packs, I've spent quite a lot on the Sims2. And with the help of some of the members and posts here, I've finally learned to make a real mega-hood, so I can play all the original Sims2 sims in one vast neighborhood...

So simply put, after putting all the money and time into a game I'm still playing and enjoying today... why would I want to start all over again with the Sims3???
Mad Poster
DELETED POST
23rd Jun 2012 at 2:47 PM
This message has been deleted by VerDeTerre. Reason: Oops! Wrong thread!
Mad Poster
#708 Old 23rd Jun 2012 at 2:56 PM
I like the idea of Sims 3 and some of the game play really does appeal, but I tend to get bored with it quickly whereas I can play Sims 2 for hours. I've never been able to say exactly why that is.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Instructor
#709 Old 24th Jun 2012 at 1:02 PM
Sims 3 is pretty, shiny and interesting at first. When I first started playing sims 3 my only worry was not having all my beloved expansion packs to entertain me with pretty goodies and such. I thought I would never go back to sims 2. But I was soon bored of all the ghosts and none of the other supernatural beings appealed to me. I missed being able to murder my neighbours one after another and then go and play them all in turn, I missed being able to be fine with playing a mismatched house because my sims couldn't afford the dresser that matched their bed, i missed having sims that seemed alive, that seemed different, that feared one another's premature demise, I missed the private school principal and the hours I spent laughing at him, I missed how the neighborhoods felt alive not just like someone had plunked down a few sims and cheated to give them relationships, I missed memories and not the sickening ones that come with generations, I missed feeling like I new my sims, and most of all I missed all of the things that annoyed me. I liked sims 3 for awhile, I never used to be able to play for even a sim day without cheating, let my sims die, get attatched enough to be sad when they did or to stick with a family for more than a week but sims 3 has always felt heartless to me.

I kind of wish that sims 3 had came out before sims 2 it's the kind of thing that would have really appealed to me back then but now, I love sims 2 for all its imperfections. Its not some shiny toy with a ghastly smile plstered on its face, it seems real. At least sims 2 sims can die by accident and they seem to know when you're torturing them.
Test Subject
#710 Old 25th Jun 2012 at 5:59 AM
The genetics in TS3 drove me up the wall.
Forum Resident
#711 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 12:03 PM
i like sims 2 more, because i like the character design more, and mine windows 7 laptop is doing good work mounting sims. further i get this feeling that the creators really though about how to make sims 2 a great game, but in sims 3... well they hurried too much to get it onto the market!
Instructor
#712 Old 20th Aug 2012 at 6:54 PM
I played it for a while Sims 3, and I kind of enjoyed the moodlets and whatnot, but my computer really has something against all Sim games. For instance, I can pop in my Fable 3 disc or Skyrim and its fine, but pop in a Sims disc? It's like an act of God to get the disc to work, and there's nothing wrong with the discs or with my disc drive because it only ever happens with the Sims. It does that with Sims Medieval as well. So Sims IS the culprit. However, I had Sims 3 base game/ambitions combo I think? And I had Fast Lane Stuff, but I ended up selling it for half the price. I simply can't afford all the expansions right now. Sims 2 took ages to complete even at 20 dollars an expansion because that twenty spare bucks I rarely often have goes on other things. I might give it a whirl if I get another computer and the prices drop from 40 a piece to 20, or I find them in the cheap bins at my local Gamestop or Half Priced Books.
Test Subject
#713 Old 24th Aug 2012 at 5:24 PM
i like both but for different reasons. if i want to make a cool house and make sims that look like real life people i play sims3 i also like the gameplay for sims3 but i don't like that its sooooo complicated that it takes forever to load cause there is so much to do. but i love love love sims 2 for best of business and the robots and the fact that it doesn't take ages to load, also i love the Ikea stuff pack and the h&m stuff too. i make so many cool outfits for sims. but i like that there are a lot more cheats for sims3 has barely any cheats for boolprob
Lab Assistant
#714 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 9:01 AM
I can't distinguish the sims from each other in Sims 3.
Test Subject
#715 Old 4th Sep 2012 at 3:54 PM
Definitively the sims 2 for me. Though i guess my opinion is quite biased since playing The Sims 2 brings up a lot of nostalgia.

I have plenty of small gripes with the game, and some larger ones.
For example, i utterly dislike the traits. Sure, they would have been fine. . . If they were on top of the old personality bars. I mean, traits like "vegetarian" are fine, if they didn't take up a personality trait slot. Cause, frankly many of the traits have nothing to do with personality at all. I mean, green thumb? That's a personality trait? Come on!

They'd make a wonderful addition on top of the old personality bars, giving you more choices like evil, crazy, absent-minded and such. But alone they are just so limiting.
In the sims 2 i can have a sim that's a extremely tidy and cleans everything in sight, or a real sloth who never cleans. Or anything in between. In TS3 i can only pick 2 polar opposites, or not define the trait at all, which puts it at the middle i guess.

The moodlets are okay, but once again they'd make a good addition to the old system, but not a replacement together with the new and semi-worthless wishes. I think i've fulfilled like, one wish in all the time i played sims 3.

Also a thing that horrified me, was how the sims in TS3 look in general. They are much more unrealistic (while the sims in TS2 weren't realistic, they weren't supposed to be, but TS3 crossed a line), horribly pudgy, and plain impossible to make them look good.

The storymode-thing in TS3 is a good idea, but it should have had easily customizible sliders for how it worked. It's a horrendous feature without mods, unless you only have one family. But it could still bork up your game in that case.

Another gripe is the graphics. And i mean the graphics, not the artstyle or anything like that. When TS2 came out, it looked great. I mean when i first played it, i had never seen such good graphics. When TS3 came out, it barely looked like an improvement from TS2. Sure, it's better all right, but not in the amount i expected. Even today, when i play TS2 i have no gripes at all about the graphics. Sure, they could be better but the first game was released in 2004. And i almost never notice any graphics in TS2 that scream outdated. Except for the grass.. Those textures are baaad.
Also graphics related, is the retarded thing TS3's got that is internal 30fps. It's completely retarded. Especially since the game has no native V-Sync or FPS-Cap whatsoever. Makes me wonder if EA want's people to overheat their pc for no reason at all. Or they just have no fucking clue what they are doing. Either way, it's completely uncalled for.

One thing i DO love about TS3 though, is the Style-maker, or whatever it's called. Truth be told, it's the only thing from TS3 that i think would have improved TS2 if it was added.
I'd gladly pay 100$ for that.

One of the smaller gripes are things like "Young-Adult" being a retarded life-stage that is just a clone of adult. It does nothing useful except prolong the Adult stage. And give you an extra birthday. Though it might be that i missed something specific to the life stage, if so, i'm just not observant enough.

Another thing that i utterly despise in TS3 is the social-interactions. Instead of a simple relationship bar, you have a weird one you have no clue if it fills up or not. And the .. uhm.. gating? Of the interactions is just dull. "Oh, so i have to flirt with this guy i'm in love with 10 times before i can give him a quick peck on the lips?"

Safe to say, i definitively prefer TS2. While i was hyped for TS3 i had a glum thought poking at the back of my brain. "You know what EA does to great franchises, right?"

I do hope in the future that Maxis or Will Wright will make The Sims again. Cause until then, it's doubtful that new TS games will live up to my expectations.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#716 Old 8th Sep 2012 at 10:20 PM Last edited by Simonut : 9th Sep 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Why is it that every EP that comes out for Sims 3 like now the "SuperNatural" seem to be a rip off from Sims 2 Eps but with a different name example LateNight / NightlLife
Before Sims 3 even came out EA said it would be a game for the next generation, but I just do not see it at all.
It seem that the only thing EA could come up with for Sims 3 is Open World, and dough faces Sims for Sims 3, and how to take control away from players. I would not waste not one dime not one on buying Sims 3 why should I when it seem like every Ep they come out with is a rip off from Sims 2.

A lot of the very well known Modders in the Sims community have said they will not waste their time on Sim 3 so don't even ask them, some have even left. I'll been playing the Sims game since 2006 and I will say it here loud and clear I have one love when it comes to games and that is Sims 2. I like how we as the players have control we can aged our Sims or not, I love the fact that we can enter each household and return back to it and it is still the same as we left it. I love the fact that we can enter dining area, shopping store and watch our Sims do their thing. I love the fact that Sims 2 have a Body Shop and most of all we have so many custom items and Mods; and the fact that the Modders and Creators love what they was during and have done with Sims 2, and guess what ? Some are still with us making even now more Custom items. So I guess you can tell by my comments here that I have no love at all for Sims 3. None

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#717 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonut
Why is it that every EP that comes out for Sims 3 like now the "SuperNatural" seem to be a rip off from Sims 2 Eps but with a different name example LateNight / NightlLife .
Actually this started earlier. Sims 1 had "Hot Date" and Sims 2 came out with "NightLife" - not entirely the same but the same idea of going downtown. Sims 1 had "Pets" and Sims 2 had "Fun With Pets". There was also Vacation/Bon Voyage and Makin' Magic/Apartment Life (which included witches).

I think players liked so many of those game features in Sims 1 that it was worth it to incorporate them in Sims 2. It was done differently enough not to just be a rehash of the old. The same could be said of Sims 3. It's slowly adding so many of the elements that players loved in Sims 1 and 2, but adding enough of a difference to be its own thing.

I find it very enjoyable that The Sims stays true to its roots and constantly references themes going way back with things/characters such as llamas, Simbots, non playable characters such as Grim, Bonehilda, and Mrs. Crumplebottom, as well as the back story that continues with the characters from Sims 1 through Sims 2.

Lab Assistant
#718 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 1:13 PM
I find it interesting that so many people seem to put the Open World concept from TS3 as a pro and not a con... it's probably the main reason TS3 doesn't tickle my fancy. *shrug*

And all the Naaru say I'm pretty fly for a Draenei!
LiveJournal - Tumblr
Field Researcher
#719 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 2:12 PM
My personal opinion is that Sims 2 and Sims 3 (and Sims 1 for that matter) cant even be compared to one another. To me the gameplay itself is very different between the games and they all have their own pros and cons. I like all the versions of sims for different reasons, but I must say that I have a hard time breaking into the older games now after playing the open world of Sims 3 because of the restrictions in gameplay and customazation (did I spell that right?).
As for the expansionspack, of course they are the same, they obviously work! I for one think my sims would have a pretty boring life without nightlife, careers, pets, travels, supernatural and weather (yeay for the coming release of Sims 3 Seasons, finally!).
And I agree with previous post about Sims staying true to their roots, since a lot of the objects and characters are the reason why the sims is so fun and charming really.
Mad Poster
#720 Old 12th Sep 2012 at 6:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonut
Why is it that every EP that comes out for Sims 3 like now the "SuperNatural" seem to be a rip off from Sims 2 Eps but with a different name example LateNight / NightlLife
Before Sims 3 even came out EA said it would be a game for the next generation, but I just do not see it at all.
It seem that the only thing EA could come up with for Sims 3 is Open World, and dough faces Sims for Sims 3, and how to take control away from players. I would not waste not one dime not one on buying Sims 3 why should I when it seem like every Ep they come out with is a rip off from Sims 2.

Like VerDeTerre said, "ripping" off started when TS2 had EP's that were inspired by TS1. So far all the EP's might have been inspired by a TS1 or TS2 EP, but they are never a copy. Like SN being more inspired by MM than AL but without being a 100% copy of either. It's mix and match + new things just like all the other EP's have been.

TS2 did a pet rip off from TS1 unleash, and worst of all, it made a bad rip of of it if you ask me. I still remember how disapointed I was with it. Not much you can do with your pets and worst of all birds and the hamster was ever lasting.

Season is probably the only one with the same name but if you look at what comes with it, it's not the same as TS2 season. It has seasons of course, but also parts from BV like tanning as well as new things like seasonal celebrating and kissing booths, and many other items that don't exist neither in TS1 or TS2.

Most likely the next EP after seasons is uni. So far we know nothing more about it except what was read in the survey some times ago. But those things mentioned in the survey are not facts, so uni can have those things mentioned, or it might not. Hopefully though TS3 uni will be an improvement, because I never liked uni in TS2, at least not the default uni. It required mods from the community before I started sending my sims to uni after trying it out the first time the way EA did it.

I'm still very much in love in TS3, just like I was when it first came out, with every EP makes the game even more interesting. Including SHT, even thought I have not yet done any SHT careers. Just used the items that came with it.

What I like about TS3 is the detail. There is so much detail in interactions, jobs, in skills, in the sims themselves, that I just can't see myself going back to TS2. I did try, but I felt there was nothing much to do. No more klepto sims, no more writing reports about your co-workers if you were a police officer, or writing articles if you were a reproter. No more having a super tired doctore getting a call at 3 am that he needs to go to work for an emergency. No more buying different recipes, or books, or grabbing that laptop and going to the part to chat.

Also, I never felt loss of control in TS3. I'm playing my game with TS2 style aging and rotation, with taxation and even a uni system. Sure my sims might not be in the same exact spot when I switch households but other than that, their lives has not changed since I last played their turn. Turning off story progression is an option we have had since the base game.

One other thing I really like about TS3 is the ability to pick up a sim and sending them to another world without having to worry that it will break the hood. I have one lady who just left her baby and boyfriend and moved to SimSamples amazing Jericho world, where she has been doing tombs for fun. She just turned into an adult and decided to settle down, bought a small house and is getting used to a more relaxing life. Now if she ever decides to return to my main hood, I'll have to use a mod to link her back to being her daughters mother. But I don't think as this of being in any kind a negative thing. I've had other sims move out from the main hood, live there for some time before returning back to the main hood. Sometimes a sim needs to get away from the town they have born in and find their own way.

About the open world, that was never a requirement for me. It's not the reason I switched. I switched because of the improved game-play. But the open world does have it's pros. Like seeing your town folks walking by, pushing their kids in prams, or walking their dogs, or looking across the street and seeing your sim kids from other households playing together in the park. Small things that might sound trivial but if you are at all into your sims and town, they always make you smile and go awwww. I think because of the open world, my sims have become more active. My sims were very home bound in TS2. Partially this was because my computer wasn't very good when I played TS2 that community lots lagged like crazy and made having fun in them impossible. But even after I got a better computer, my sims didn't venture out very often. In TS3 they do. I guess the open world makes it more easier to just click on a lot and say go there.

The open world also makes it possible to have a level of detail in the hood that was not possible before. For example a school where kids can stay after class to do their homework, or play a computer game if they don't have one at home. A police station that has a prison unit in it and I have my criminal sims locked in, or the asylum on top of the hospital where I have all my sims locked in who have the insane trait. Then I also have a doctor who tries to cure them.

The open world of course also brings with it it's own challenges. Like a complaint many have is that bars are empty even when they are hotspots. To be able to play a huge world and have the busy feel, means you have to have a huge population as well, which in turn slows down the game when the processor is trying to manage all the sims. I've had these problems when playing bridgeport or sa user made huge world. Which is why I prefere small towns. You get a busy feel with a smaller amount of residents, and your computer doesn't choke from over populating. Even when my town bar is not the hotspot for the night, there is still always at least one or two sims who have come for a drink so my sim doesn't have to drink alone

This post became much longer than I intended, but if you like a game you can easily get lost praising it
Lab Assistant
#721 Old 14th Sep 2012 at 1:07 PM
Default Sims 2 or Sims 3?
I completely love sims 2! I have sims 3 and believe me, it does nothing for me. I really hate the way EA just threw it out there without too much thought. If we could combine sims 1 and 2 we would have a perfect sims 4! EA needs to make 4 compatible with our sims 1 and 2 CC as well. I wish they would seriously think things through before just slapping something out there, as with sims 3. I don't know who coded it, but they need to go back to the drawing board with it and try again. Sims 2 is awesome and I will play it until I go blind, unless EA comes up with something better and so far, in my opinion..... they messed the entire concept of the true sims up while missing the sims boat. lol
Mad Poster
#722 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 3:30 PM
I've been an obsessive Sims 1 player and an obsessive Sims 2 player in the past (and still am), but the Sims 3 has never hooked me in that way. I could take it or leave it until now. Now I have Supernatural and it is on one computer at home. I'm not there. I want to be there now to see what happens with my little Sim. We'll see how long this last. I usually end up frustrated or bored with Sims 3 after a short time.

Test Subject
#723 Old 25th Sep 2012 at 1:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josepina
Not neighbours of course.

Chris "Visit other Sims"-MOD on B.A.S. works just fine 4 TS2.
With this MOD istalled you jump in your car - or in an taxi - choose the "Visit" Pie-Menue, chosse your neighbour...Loading Screen from the Neighbours....your car drives by, you get out and when you have done, what you have to do there...jump in your car say "Drive Home" or "Visit the next Sim" or what ever.

If that's what's missing - it isn't

And btw - aging playable Characters while you play another Family is a pro?
And if you want this on TS2...Synctimer...you can play all Families synchron, or make a Timewarp 4 those you not want to play.

Thats pretty enough 4 me.
I see no reason to play the childish lookin puddings with most of the good Hacks still missing.
No ACR, no realistic behaviour, no adult behaviour (like stuff adult ppl do, with the bees and the butterflies), not to mention the gallons of CC from over the years.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#724 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 10:40 AM
I've been playing the two games back to back since receiving TS3 Supernatural three weeks ago. (My weekends look like this: play one game for two hours while doing laundry. Run errands. Swap disks, play other game for two hours. Hang with friends. Go out to dinner. Swap disks, play first game until exhausted. Sleep. Play TS2 -- it has to be TS2 -- while doing dishes. Contemplate tragic lack of productivity on weekends. Nap. Play TS3. Mourn the death of the weekend.)

I'm enjoying TS3 in discovery mode, but what I notice is that when I shut down the game, I do it with a feeling of complete exhaustion and a sense of desperation. The game wears me out. I'm definitely playing it like I did TS2 in the early days: relentlessly skilling the Sims, looking for the most efficient way to achieve goals without cheating or "easy mods." I don't play the TS3 Sims as characters because all they really are to me are tools for accomplishing game goals. And I almost always make the mistake of reaching one goal too far (adopting a unicorn, having kids) and finding the household no longer fun to play after I have done so. Still...my TS2 gameplay took time to evolve. I don't know that this will happen with TS3, but if I do reach a point where I am less entranced with all the cool options available to Sims with the highest skill levels, maybe I can start to focus on the Sims as characters with individual paths other than do and collect and accomplish everything. When I do that, I can start to come to terms with the problem of Story Progression and the feeling that all worlds (i.e., all save games) are transient and doomed to spiral into geriatric meltdown.

In comparison, my TS2 game is all character and relationships and very little in the way of real goals for the Sims other than getting married, raising children, and making money to fight against all the fees I impose on them. When you're rotating through 70 households, there are only so many retailers or gigolos or toymakers or florists or roboticists or witches or farmers or fishermen or fashion designers or artists or novelists or mechanics or potters or buskers you can play. (Did I overlook any of the activities or craftables?) I'm not bored by my TS2 Sims -- every time I shut down the game, it's with a sense of accomplishment and anticipation for how the neighborhood is advancing (the Simpson boy is going to marry Fae Brooks! There's going to be a neutral witch in Baskerville! How will this development change the rules that apply to the subhood?) -- but I would love the opportunity to pursue some different skills in TS2, since I've become pretty inured to the ones we have.
Test Subject
#725 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 12:23 AM
When it comes to the console version, the Sims 3 runs circles around The Sims 2, simply because it A) has gamepadcontrols that WORK and B) create-a-style which makes up a bit for the absence of CC.

The PC version though... I can use a mouse and CAS is something that I do miss, but not terribly. There is a certain charm to hunting all over MTS and just when you're about to give up, finally find that one dress or countertop that looks like it was made just for you.

That's the main reason I started playing the sims 2 again. It just gives me a certain feeling, a special kind of almost magical excitement that I never found with its younger sibling. The sims 3 looks sleek, plays fine, but I don't know... it's like it has no soul.

I used to curse when my sim came home without a promotion again, or when my child sim had only five minutes before the schoolbus arrived and refused to do his or her homework, or how bills kept stacking up and I had to resort to selling a window just to buy food. Yet... that's what I miss most now. A feeling of accomplishment, the satisfaction of working for a goal just to see what might happen if I reach it.

The Sims 3 is way, way too easy. Have no food? Just grab some canned soup for free. Can't pay your tiny bills? Oh hey, there's a gemstone on the floor. Want to marry someone? Just talk to them a few times and you're good to go. Its all about instant gratification now, and bubblewrapping your toys so (heaven forbid!) you don't get upset if something doesn't go as planned.

I miss the humor, the challenge,holding my breath when my zero-skillpoint Sim is about to use the stove. I've been playing for months, but I have only seen about three fires and not ONE electrocution.

I even miss El Bandito from the Sims 1, because the is perfect example of subtle, yet quirky humor that made the series sparkle.

Sigh... what have you done, EA? What have you done?
Page 29 of 32