Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#201 Old 28th Jan 2008 at 11:20 PM
A little problem on step #16
Hi! In the step #16 you said this: "...and then go in and select the rest of the pixels above the joining line, and delete them." I don't get it, what does that mean??
please!
Thank you .

Happy Simming Everyone!!
My SimPage on thesims2.ea.com
Don't stop playing Sims♥♥♥
Advertisement
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#202 Old 29th Jan 2008 at 2:55 AM
Chimi, sounds like you didn't -do- tutorials #1 and #2. Because there's nothing confusing about step 16 if you know how to use milkshape.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Lab Assistant
#203 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 2:33 PM
Nevermind! But I have a question...
Hi Tig!
I just realised what I had to do on step 16But, in part 4, step 30, when I have to Align Normals, it's all Ok, the seam is gone, but it's not perfect, I still have some highlights, and it seems like I can't fix it...I'll give you some screenshots, one is the Smooth Shaded view, and the other the colored view. So I wanted to know, if it's normal, or If I'm doing something wrong...
Thank you for your time and your great tutorials !
Screenshots

Happy Simming Everyone!!
Test Subject
#204 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 3:39 PM
Hi, when I´m done with the mesh and am going to check it out in Bodyshop, the upper part of the left leg is bumpning out a bit. Why?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#205 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 9:58 PM
Chimi - you did not delete everything you need to - you have overlapping leg pieces there. You need to delete things so that the top and bottom exactly meet at one row.

SweMarcus - if your mesh looks perfect in milkshape but different in bodyshop/the game, then the issue is that the bone assignments are not correct.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Lab Assistant
#206 Old 8th Feb 2008 at 5:34 PM
Thank you very much :)
Hi Tig!
It worked! Thanks for this tutorial, clear and easy to understand !
I'll give you some screenshots of my finished work
Bye!
Screenshots

Happy Simming Everyone!!
Test Subject
#207 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 2:26 AM
I was wondering, is there a way to copy part of your mesh and flip it? I created a complex boot and I can't remake it all over again for the left side, so how can I copy & paste it?
Lab Assistant
#208 Old 26th Feb 2008 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by .Serena.
I was wondering, is there a way to copy part of your mesh and flip it? I created a complex boot and I can't remake it all over again for the left side, so how can I copy & paste it?

Select the boot faces you want to copy, Click on edit, then duplicate selection. Then click on vertex (next to edit), scroll down, and click on 'mirror Left<->right'. You will need to align normals too.

This will give you a new boot on the other side, you will need to map it seperately, and then regroup it with the existing mesh.

Copy any comments before regrouping, then paste them back when you have regrouped.

Sorry, no more requests for the preg teens.
Test Subject
#209 Old 27th Feb 2008 at 12:21 PM
Cool you took shoes from the chinese outfit and put them on the dress, looks tricky though. When Reading half way through I thought you were going to make the dress the same style/colour as the chinese top, would be a bad idea.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#210 Old 27th Feb 2008 at 12:50 PM
natwel - Colour and style really has nothing to do with this tutorial - it's merely teaching you how to combine mesh parts, which is an essential skill in meshing bodies. This tutorial is way more about the "frankensteining" technique than creating an actual project for something you'd really want to use. And info on recolouring is more suited to the Body Shop Skinning area anyway.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#211 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 4:43 AM
Oh, tiggerypum! I love you so much for creating all these tutorials; they're so helpful! None of your tutorials go unappreciated by me, that's for sure. Whoever thought I could say that I am a mesher? <3
Test Subject
#212 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 5:29 AM Last edited by twisted FATE : 28th Mar 2008 at 11:33 PM.
Oh dear.

This is giving me such a headache. ><

EDIT: Alright, I think I've found out the problem. I used the private school uniform as my base and Maxis' tfbodygothspikeneck mesh as my pair of boots to attach. When imported into Milkshape, it comes with two groups: body (which has the main body and the bottom of the boots) and body_reflected (which has the spiked collar, wristbands, and the boots themselves). Since I need both the boots and the bottom of the boots, I have to use pieces from all three groups: the school uniform group as my base, and both the body and body_reflected from the group with the boots. I think the problem is that everything goes along swimmingly until it comes time to combine everything as one. When I regroup, only two of the groups combine: the uniform's body and the boots' body_reflected. As you can see, this seems to be what throws the wrench in it and screws with the comments and whatnot. Because the uniform only has the one group that it started with, it can't have that second boot group in there in order for everything to work properly.

I only discovered this just now when I retried everything -- originally, I had simply deleted the group with the bottom of the boots (it was late; I don't know what I was thinking...) and thus didn't notice the whole regrouping thing since I only had the two groups which combined easily. So I think the first problem was the fact that I had deleted a crucial part of the mesh, which I now know to avoid. However, now my question is, how can I work around this and still end up with the original number of groups that the uniform had?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#213 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 7:22 AM
twisted FATE, wow, that's special

First (and if this isn't your first try with this tutorial, forgive me) I strongly suggest following the tutorial pretty exactly the first time.

Secondly (and if you keep having problems with this project, you need to start it's own thread for it) you have two choices.

The first is that you simply regroup everything into one group, name it body and you'll be good to go. But make sure that the uvmapping of all the pieces doesn't get in the way of each other - it's easier to move things around and untangle that -before- you regroup. This means no separate extra shiny parts, just the normal look. But it should work.

The second alternative is that you -start- with a multi part group as your 'base' mesh, and then make all the groups of your finished mesh match that one with group names, comments, etc. You'd also make a recolor of that multi group mesh as your recolor to start with, and that you 'attach' you new mesh to. I strongly suggest trying this only AFTER you've done this tutorial at least once successfully with a single body mesh and fat morph. Getting all the bits right in this tutorial is a bit of a stretch already.

Lab Assistant
#214 Old 2nd Jun 2008 at 6:15 AM Last edited by rosaline_10 : 5th Jun 2008 at 2:45 PM.
Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help, ok I hope I can explain this and someone understands,
I have a mesh that has a top and jeans, I have deleted the top half of the mesh and then imported another mesh that is of a dress, I have shorten the dress so that way it looks like a long top, I have joined up the dress and jeans at the stomach area so that way some of the dress hangs over the jeans but when ever I try and export it comes up saying unassigned bones, so i went back and I checked that all the vertices where joined and everything seemed ok , but I think the problem is that I am not joining the correct vertices, does anyone know what I can do or what vertices I should be joining?
I have done stuff like this before but not as complex, I have added new shoes and new sleves to outfits and they worked ok, but I have never joined in anything in the stomach area. please help!

edit: all good I worked out the issue
Test Subject
#215 Old 16th Jun 2008 at 11:13 PM
Thank youuuuu!!!! You rock!!! I got through the whole tutorial, and nothing exploded except for my head, I really need an aspirin hahaha, The following step will be re-do this tutorial but making another combination, and I'll see how things come out :P
Thanks again, for these extremely detailed tutorials!

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease"

Peggy's bad sister is a pirate!! hahahah
Test Subject
#216 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 4:03 PM
how to make a separate top? please
retired moderator
#217 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 4:13 PM
milla184 - Please post nonrelated questions in the main meshing area. This thread is for questions that relate directly to this tutorial.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
#218 Old 24th Jun 2008 at 10:05 PM
I want boots on an outfit I'm making, does anyone know where I can download boots?
retired moderator
#219 Old 24th Jun 2008 at 11:02 PM
fiepijah - You don't need to download boots. Just find an outfit with a pair of boots you like and put them on.

Test Subject
#220 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 8:21 PM
yes, I know, but I want boots with heels, and I can't find anyone which exists;S
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#221 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 10:41 PM
fiepijah, well then find boots you like, and modify them to give them slight heels. You can't give them very high heels (or you'll get animation issues) but you can change the heels a shoe has. There's a little mini tutorial about that (it only involves moving vertices, you should be able to figure it out anyway) tucked in the tutorials area.

In the meantime, if you didn't already do this tutorial as written, that's what I'd recommend first - because there is a LOT covered here, and it's rare for someone to get it all the first time through anyway.

Field Researcher
#222 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 2:34 PM
Note (if somebody is heedless like me):
The size of all uvmap punctually (the screenshot): 1024*1024
Because the size of alpha (for example in the Photoshop): 1024*1024
- when You make the recolours/retextures.

free custom contet for The Sims 2 and for The Sims 3

Test Subject
#223 Old 21st Jul 2008 at 1:11 PM
Default Thanks
You are the bomb! I just finished #3 of this set and I must say how impressed with this series I am. I have never seen a series of tutorials quite so detailed. Just wanted to say thank you (also clicked the button). :D
Test Subject
#224 Old 22nd Jul 2008 at 7:09 AM
tiggerypum I must say all your tutes are so awesome and helpful. thank you so much.
Test Subject
#225 Old 29th Jul 2008 at 9:00 AM
small problem tho. actually it's pretty big. i've done most of the basic tutes on this site without a problem or at least I could figure out the problems for myself but this tute has me thrown. Everytime I start it (which I've done at least a dozen times, no exaggeration) evidently I go wrong somewhere because it never works out and I never get farther than step 61. Either the shoes don't shoe up on the UV map at all. Or the mesh just looks completely the same in bodyshop as if I'd never modified it. I have no idea where I'm goin wrong everytime. Can anyone offer any help or explanation please?
Page 9 of 11