Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 5:56 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default I cannot extract the file from a 7zip archive
ok so im trying to install this mod >> http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=372599 (which is dexter the bear) but it wont allow me too...

i can download and when i double click the download it opens to the zip file but when double click it in the zip file it takes me to windows internet explorer and then quickly close and then goes to "view download files"

when i try to double click that it sill wont work....

ive followed the way of placing it in it C:\My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims\Mods\Packages but it still wont work..

ive also tried extracting the file with 7files but it keeps on saying it can acesses the file

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 6:15 PM
Download the file to some other location. Install 7-zip, restart computer, right-click file, 7-Zip>Extract here. Put resulting .package file in Mods\Packages. Your game must be patched.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Download the file to some other location. Install 7-zip, restart computer, right-click file, 7-Zip>Extract here. Put resulting .package file in Mods\Packages. Your game must be patched.

it wont allow me to exxtract file it says can not open file
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 6:42 PM
What, exactly, says "cannot open file"? Windows? 7-zip? Something else? Can you please screenshot it and upload the screenshot somewhere like imgur.com or modyourpanties.com?

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 6:53 PM
What, exactly, says "cannot open file"? Windows? 7-zip? Something else? Can you please screenshot it and upload the screenshot somewhere like imgur.com or modyourpanties.com?

it was with 7-zip
retired moderator
#6 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:08 PM
A screenshot would be very helpful - of that error message and the file in the folder where you're trying to extract it to. Not being able to see your screen or control your computer, it's very difficult to tell you what to do to fix it, with so little to go on.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:36 PM
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:41 PM
Okay. You are opening the zip file in WinRAR and then trying to open the .package file in 7-zip. Which is why it won't work. All you need to do is extract from the .zip file. You don't need to open anything.

Find the zip file on your computer. Do not open it. Right-click on it. Choose 7-zip and Extract Here. It should spit out a .package file in the same location as the zip. Select that file and cut and paste it into your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\ folder.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:52 PM
this is what happened>>> http://www.modyourpanties.com/hosti...01145117Capture 2.JPG

i clicked yes and after that it just disappered
retired moderator
#10 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:54 PM
So go to C:\Users\Lexi\Downloads\ and find the file called "The Sims 3 Violence and Aggression [MOD].package" and cut and paste it to My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:59 PM
after that what do i do
retired moderator
#12 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 8:04 PM
Nothing. That's it. You just play your game and it usually works fine. Sometimes you have to delete cache files but that's usually only if stuff isn't working right.

Of course, this is assuming you've actually set up the folders correctly (did you download and extract the FrameworkSetup.zip to the right location first?) and that your game is patched and that the mods you're trying to use are for the patch level you're on... But all of this is explained in the FAQs, (which are the second and third entries under the Help menu under Sims 3 here on MTS).

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 9:17 PM
ive noticed that that mods|package file doesnt work so where else can i download it too
retired moderator
#14 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 9:58 PM
That's the only place to put it. If that doesn't work, and you've gone through the FAQs and set it up properly using the FrameworkSetup.zip in the FAQs I recommended, then at this point, the best thing I can recommend is to not mod your game. To leave it vanilla, because I'm afraid that if something happened to your game with mods in (which often happens - the use of mods can be risky, especially if you don't know what you're doing), you would not have the ability to fix it and would be stuck.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 12:04 AM
ok thanks for the help
Test Subject
#16 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 3:26 AM
Okay. You are opening the zip file in WinRAR and then trying to open the .package file in 7-zip. Which is why it won't work. All you need to do is extract from the .zip file. You don't need to open anything.

Find the zip file on your computer. Do not open it. Right-click on it. Choose 7-zip and Extract Here. It should spit out a .package file in the same location as the zip. Select that file and cut and paste it into your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages\ folder.

i have no idea why, but my computer is an ***. I could never download any custom content and i thought i was just a failure or something, but now i realized its just 7zip hating me, whenever i try to 'extract here' on a mod through 7zip, it just says "cannot open file as an archive" which i have no idea wth that means or why it wont be my friend, can you help?